The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Morkula
Play the Game

Advertise here
I've never been big on game mods...I'm the type to play the game as it was meant to be played and then I've had my fill and I'm done with it. I do like playing user-created maps in games like L4D2, but a whole game revolving around creating and modding just doesn't appeal to me since I'm not that creative myself - it's why I've never gotten into Minecraft.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Alinthea
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I never got into modding big time either. I have only just got my hands on a PC gaming machine and I missed the whole 'Minecraft' craze at the time. I might look into it in the near future, but I have a lot of PC games to catch up on in the mean time! ;)
Old July 17th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Aww, you guys are so boring! :3

With Minecraft, mods are becoming something you need rather than something you want. Almost every MC player has mods, the game is so much better with them in. Tekkit and Feed the Beast are the most common, but they're a collection of mods rather than just one, but it gives you so much more to do and it's a lot more interesting with a few thousand more items.

Minecraft and Garry's Mod are really the only things I bother using mods for, they're just the sort of games that require them. I haven't used mods in any other game, normally I would see it as pointless and a waste of time.
Old July 17th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Spinosaurus

While we're on the topic of the mods, I remember Skyrim had a day 1 mod that replaced all spiders in the game with bears. It was popular if I remember.

I have to say, while I'm arachnophobic myself, some people are a bit tooo extreme. Though maybe I'm an exception as the only arachnids that I fear are REAL big hairy spiders and scorpions.
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Oh yeah, Skyrim mods are pretty popular. I wanted to try some myself, but lost the effort to. Might do it when I'm satisfied with my character and have completed most of the game which will still be around a years time.
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
BTW guys, if you have suggestions for the VG forum splash picture, don't be shy to ask~!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Spinosaurus

I'll be honest and ask what the hell is a splash picture?
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

It's the thing on the VG forum with Peach, DK Country on it.

It would be nice if it had CSS, something like the background being the Super Mario Bros. setting.

Last edited by Mr. Avocado; July 17th, 2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Was DK...
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Spinosaurus

Well it NEEDS Wario, then.

I have an idea but that requires some technical CSS stuff I won't bother with it. (How do you put a picture next to the text like with the DK render?)
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

More Mario, yes. Wario, no. Well, unless it's a group photo of all the Mario characters. I know you love Wario, Spino, but he's not very appealing :')
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
While we're on the topic of the mods, I remember Skyrim had a day 1 mod that replaced all spiders in the game with bears. It was popular if I remember.

I have to say, while I'm arachnophobic myself, some people are a bit tooo extreme. Though maybe I'm an exception as the only arachnids that I fear are REAL big hairy spiders and scorpions.
Carmageddon mod on GTA IV > all other mods tbqh. I MEAN LOOK AT THIS.

spoilered for minor language and blood.
Spoiler:

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

See, when it comes to GTA, I always uses the cheats rather than the mods. The mods are very temporary enjoyment on GTA for me and cheats are always fun to use.
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Alinthea
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Well, I am going to be doing some Skyrim mods as a play around for a bit, since Skyrim is a boss! :D
Old July 18th, 2013, 01:00 AM
PixelWarrior
Conqueror of Castles

On the topic of the splash picture, one depicting a group of characters from Nintendo and Sega, and then some from FPS games and MMORPGs.

Unfortunately, that will be pretty tough to do haha. :c
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:34 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Modded Skyrim is the only way to play Skyrim for me, so I can't touch vanilla/console versions.

Mods just make the world better.
Old July 18th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

I always prefer playing a game for a good amount of hours before I introduce any sort of mods. Then I can see what a difference the mods make and how much more fun they are than the original game.

I think that mod-makers don't get enough credit for the work they do sometimes.
Old July 18th, 2013, 08:01 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Low View Post
I always prefer playing a game for a good amount of hours before I introduce any sort of mods. Then I can see what a difference the mods make and how much more fun they are than the original game.

I think that mod-makers don't get enough credit for the work they do sometimes.
Oh, I definitely agree with you. You can't truly appreciate a mod until you've played a good amount of Vanilla.
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

A tweet came in - You can now download Earthbound TODAY from the WiiU eShop for $9.99. ^^

Is anyone going to get it? =o

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

To be honest, I've left my Wii for a while and more focused on the Steam Summer Sale. To be quite frank, there are so much games you can buy on Steam right now for a lower price than that.
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I've bought about 150 worth over the steam sale. I've only played a few of them so far though. Front Mission Evolved and Stardrive are what I'm spending most of my time on.

FME takes a lot of crap in the ratings, most people really dislike the games. Not sure if this is because they think the game really sucks or if they just don't like that Front Mission was turned into a fps but I love the game so far.

Well, except for one thing. This game had made me very anxious over Heavy Gear Assault.

As for Stardrive, it gets a lot of crap as well. It's a niche game, explains some of it, and a lot of people probably dislike the ship designer due to it's complexity... Or how long it takes to actually design a ship that isn't completely worthless. Happened to me, had to redesign most of my ships about a half-dozen times each either to add new tech to it or to counter something that I'd forgotten about.

Come play Runescape

Last edited by Mr. X; July 18th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
A tweet came in - You can now download Earthbound TODAY from the WiiU eShop for $9.99. ^^

Is anyone going to get it? =o
I might get it, if I had a Wii U. :c Target doesn't have them yet. And I wanna get one with my employee discount ;;

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old July 18th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

I'm starting to lose interest in Earthbound a little bit. I remember playing it for the first time on the GBA, it was one of my favorites at the time. I'm still yet to try it on the SNES and I haven't used my SNES in a long time so might need to pull that one out of storage and bring it to action. Maybe that will refurbish my interest...
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Not sure it merits a new thread.

Why do people complain about 3DS resolution so much?

I know the top smartphones are capable of HD graphics but really, with that comes a very steep price. Nintendo can't afford to sell a portable device for more than a home console. 800x240 is more than acceptable for the 3DS, considering the size of the screens. And yes, this also goes for the XL. We used to play games in 640x480 on monitors five times the size of a 3DS XL top screen. With such small screens (and you have to remember the standard product is the 3DS, not the XL), HD resolutions would be overkill.

Another thing I hate when people talk about it is how supposedly bad the DS games look on the 3DS. My DS library consists of Pokémon games only and I think the 3DS does a very nice job of upscaling the lower resolution DS graphics. Text becomes slightly fuzzy, but I find that the antialiasing applied by the 3DS to the picture gives a very pleasant feel. The only reason I keep my DSi XL is for trading with myself, otherwise there's no point in playing games on the DS anymore, unless they need a GBA slot.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

The lack of users discussing about Earthbound's first time release for the VC in the U.S. disturbs me. I bought it yesterday, but I had to wait until I finish beating my other Wii U titles. Is anyone surprised that the game received a T rating as opposed to its original E rating (K-A back in the day)? I guess the ESRB cannot grasp the true form of Giygas.
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Morkula
Play the Game

Earthbound is a game that I've always wanted to play, but I have such a big backlog that I can't really justify buying it right now - especially since it's a pretty long RPG. It's also a game I'd probably rather play on a portable system, although I doubt it'll ever be released for 3DS. But I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here