Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 30th, 2013 (02:43 PM).
ShadowE
Competitive RTS gamer, also drunk
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I agree... Twilight was pure garbage... Never bought the game but looking at reviews i didnt got a single feeling to buy it.

I had that same collection bundle before i got TFD, i still have the Renegade disc, but Renegade... It wasnt that great... Loved the idea of a RTS turned into a FPS, but it just wasnt so appealing to me.
Old July 30th, 2013 (11:47 PM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Uh, reviews can buy me games or they can make me forget about them. I always read at least 3 reviews before I decide on buying a game unless it's something I'm already pretty certain on or it's just come out and doesn't really have any reviews. For instance, I was thinking of spending a bit on Riptide on Steam, but I saw 4 reviews which rated it really low and I heard a few YouTubers say it wasn't a good game so I left it where I had originally wanted to buy it without seeing any of the content, just based on the fact that I quite liked Dead Island. And I know that with my liking of Dead Island I might have liked Riptide however I found that a massive flaw of Dead Island was that it is repetitive and that's one of the biggest complaints in Riptide.
Old July 30th, 2013 (11:55 PM).
ShadowE
Community Supporter

Same here, though i sometimes buy a game regardless of reviews, and most of the games i do that are pretty fun.

And some games do get good reviews and barely have something new added to the game (mostly sequels of games). I bought StarCraft 2 since i liked the demo a lot and i played it cause i saw some gameplay on Youtube which made me really excited about the game. I have it now for 2-3 months and im still playing it a lot.
Old July 31st, 2013 (12:04 AM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

Although, a review is just a gamers opinion, and it may be a completely different view from what I think of the game. But if several gamers share the same opinion, it sends a message.
Old July 31st, 2013 (12:08 AM).
ShadowE
Community Supporter

Indeed, yet it can still be liked, not everyone shares the same opinion, but is does send a message. Citadels for instance. Never heard of it till i saw it on Youtube... Im glad i watched that cause that game isnt worth $40 at all.

Also appearantly battle.net is down from 3am CEST till 11am CEST, and i suck at converting timezones. I badly wanna play StarCraft 2 since the patch does a lot of great stuff... Still imo Terrans are OP...
Old July 31st, 2013 (08:29 AM).
Mr. X
For Money
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
A lot of the times though it's just up to preference.

One of my new favorites, Stardrive, have pretty low scores. Metacritic have it rated 61. Very low scores, you'd think it would be a very crappy game... But it's awesome.

Anyway, if you like GTA you should give Just Cause 2 a try.

Come play Runescape
Old July 31st, 2013 (10:33 AM).
Boomburst
tumblr famous doesn't count
Community Supporter

A review is just a way of someone expressing there opinion. However, often times some 'professional' critic reviews just just like advertisements for the game while others just lambaste the game just for attention using paper-thin reasoning.

That's why I cannot trust any professional reviews as well as user reviews and word of mouth via IRL or the internet.
#714 Noibat
Supporter Collab January 2015
TUMBLR.
REVIEW BLOG.

Old July 31st, 2013 (12:36 PM).
Mr. Magius
  
Community Supporter Tier 5

There are a number of games that I've played through and enjoyed, to later find out that it has terrible ratings. Whereas I have bought games due to the high praise of critics, and I couldn't stand to finish them. It's definitely all about preference and past gaming experience...Also, some games have technically bad aspects (i.e., bad graphics?) but have a comforting characteristic about them. Game critics aren't necessarily objective.
Old July 31st, 2013 (12:38 PM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

I understand, and you are perfectly right. It's just that from personal experience, what critics think tends to be what I think.
Old July 31st, 2013 (01:10 PM).
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Lol right. I bought BO2 for my XBOX and its awesome, but i was checking it on Amazon and its rating: 2.5 stars lmao. I was like wtf? Whats wrong? Same happened when i bought WWE SvR 2008 it wasnt so bad and it was only 3 stars.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old July 31st, 2013 (01:13 PM).
ShadowE
Community Supporter

BO2? Like in CoD: Black Ops 2?

If so i can see why it has such a low rating tbh. Its the same thing over again, with a few new stuff.
Fun fact: BO2 has the same engine as MW1
Old July 31st, 2013 (01:13 PM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

I think it's because people have realized how overrated Call of Duty games are now and yeah, it is fun, but looking at the qualities a game should have, in lacks in many departments. Call of Duty has lovers and haters, to say the least.
Old July 31st, 2013 (01:17 PM).
ShadowE
Community Supporter

I used to like Call of Duty, a lot. MW2 was a game i really loved, BO1 was a bummer... but then MW3 came... And all the hate started to grow as i slowly experienced what people hate about the game... Without the community the game is ... decent, cant say i like the single player since its rubbish imo.
Old July 31st, 2013 (01:50 PM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

That is exactly what happened to me. I played over 38 days worth of MW2 in hours, yes, that long, I actually got to tenth prestige legitimately. Unfortunately that wasn't too much of a praised achievement because pretty much everyone had tenth prestige via hacking it or through someone else. I ended up with a total of 51 nukes. I was a MW2 bandit.
Old July 31st, 2013 (01:58 PM).
ShadowE
Community Supporter

I had 0 nukes... I came close to it, but then some random guy blasts me in the face with a dual shotgun... Love to use the ACR silenced+FMJ
Old July 31st, 2013 (02:04 PM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

I had my classes organized for different styles of play. I would whip out the n00btube when things just got real.
Old July 31st, 2013 (02:07 PM).
ShadowE
Community Supporter

I fell in love with MW2's assault rifles. SCAR, F2000, ACR... i even used the FAL a lot
Barely used snipers or riot shields, cant handle them properly
Old July 31st, 2013 (02:45 PM).
machomuu
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
The CoD isn't as large lately, mainly because the fandom for the games hasn't been as...audacious, and thus it hasn't had the biggest effect on the industry as of late. Which is good, methinks. If the sales for the game stabilize then it really shouldn't have any effect on other games, and I've noticed that lately gamers have had less biased views on what they're interested in, especially in terms of Western gamers and Japanese games.

And all of this is good. I'm fine with annual CoD as long as the sales aren't as high as they were during the post-MW era. I mean, I personally don't play the games, haven't played since MW1, so the annuals could possibly be getting worse and worse, but that's always a call to innovate.
Old August 1st, 2013 (02:10 AM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

I completely agree with you. Hopefully this will give other good FPS games a chance to stand out more and increase in popularity, because there are quite a few that deserve it. I think that Battlefield will start to rise quite soon, because it has been recently, and it's fanbase is growing. Same with games such as Borderlands 2, they deserve more popularity, there are a number of people that play it and they love it. Both of my examples are of popular games, but you don't see that much gameplay of it on YouTube, CoD is everywhere. Hopefully as the fanbase starts to lose it's touch, YouTubers will realize that there is opportunity with games such as BF and BL and more people will want to buy it.
Old August 1st, 2013 (02:32 AM).
ShadowE
Community Supporter

Indeed... If i go through my friends list on my PS3, i barely see anyone play a game like BF or BL... Its always CoD or FIFA. However i can understand both, since they can be fun. But the communities just ruin everything... If CoD had a good single player i wouldnt be so negative about it, but MW1 was the last CoD that had a decent single player.

Also the huge ammount of people (not only little kids) complaining you use a sniper they way you actually should use it is ridiculous...
Old August 1st, 2013 (06:39 AM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Clever Girl

And hopefully, the decreasing popularity of CoD would help wear down the Modern Military Shooter fad that's been going around this past couple of years, and we'll finally have more colorful and unrealistic/creative FPS games like Borderlands 2.
Old August 1st, 2013 (07:18 AM).
Mr. Magius
  
Community Supporter Tier 5

Quote originally posted by Pinkie-Dawn:
And hopefully, the decreasing popularity of CoD would help wear down the Modern Military Shooter fad that's been going around this past couple of years, and we'll finally have more colorful and unrealistic/creative FPS games like Borderlands 2.
This ... there definitely should be some creative shooters out there rather than pseudo-modern shooters that draw in hungry kids to shoot some pixels and complain when they get shot. I'm not saying CoD is comprised of only that, but I think there should be more room for those fancy shooters out there. I wanna see more sci-fi shooters!!
Old August 1st, 2013 (08:15 AM).
Mr. X
For Money
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Methinks you'd like this then.

http://heavygear.com/

Come play Runescape
Old August 1st, 2013 (10:35 AM).
Arx
prince
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Arx
Sci-fi shooters would be great. I'm starting to get tired since most FPS CoD are from World War. I plan on getting BF3 and BL2 soon. Are those worthy of being bought? I'd like to get some more critics on them before actually buying them.
Old August 1st, 2013 (11:37 AM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

Battlefield is a game where you have to play it quite a bit to be good at it. The maps are generally quite big, the time for one game to finish can be very long, more than half an hour for the majority of games I've played. A lot of teamwork is required, because the general team sizes are quite large and enemies tend to stick around in groups so going solo will normally result in imminent death. If you like realism in FPS games, Battlefield is your go to game, it even has vehicles in most maps. Borderlands 2 I would recommend to anyone. There is a lot of action, customization, upgrades and hours of fun. The campaign is definitely not short and it is a game you can get easily hooked to.

Sponsored Links