The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious

Advertise here
The closet to a MMO that I play is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and that's only really a larg on-line component to a single-player game. Quite enjoyable really, and worth the cost of a Wii U for me.
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Fei, I've only played WoW, Ragnorock, Ragnorock 2, and Runescape as MMOs~ But those were on the PC. The final Fantasy MMO looks pretty cool though~!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:59 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I was a part of the Beta for Final Fantasy XIV, and it was pretty good. Other than boasting great presentation, but it also has an interesting class system. If it weren't for the subscription, I'd probably have bought it.
Old August 24th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Apple Juice
who are you
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Juice
I've played quite a few, but I've only gone deep into Maplestory and Trickster Online, and the latter had its servers shut down earlier this year. I played a handful of other ones like Elsword occasionally, but I mainly played those two. Slowly I got tired of the constant monotonous gaming that MMORPGs so plentifully offer, haha. I don't play them anymore. :c

LP/Guide/Review of the Week! - create one now and it could be featured!
shawn , janna , dave // credit
Old August 24th, 2013, 02:57 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

I'd like to see more Action MMOs. I don't mean like Elsworld or Rusty Hearts, but rather I'm referring to open world ones, like Dot Hack (The World and The World R:2) and Sword Art Online. Action RPGs are probably my favorite genre, so series like Dot Hack and SAO have always really appealed to me.

They're a far off dream, basically, and they always have so intriguing. I've always loved the idea of an MMO that isn't entirely based on level and equipment, but skill as well. It's the dynamic nature of the combat, as well as the larger chance for success (and failure) that makes them so fun. That's largely the appeal of Action RPGs, as well as the series in question. It has its place in MMOs, and would be greatly welcome.

I've always wondered, why they didn't exist now. I mean, there are RaiderZ and TERA, but they still seem very "MMO-like" in quite a few aspects. Years ago, I would have understood why this was the case, as an Open World Action MMO 5-10 years would basically be impossible, but it seems that they should exists by now. Unfortunately, it's still to early. It seems that the gaming industry still seems to see the term "MMO" as a genre of its own, using a standard sort of gameplay for any game that carries the term unless it defines itself as some specific variation. Games like RaiderZ and TERA should be primitive, but they are the epitome of Open World AMMORPGs at the moment. It's a shame, but I'm hopeful to see where the Action MMO genre will go.
Old August 25th, 2013, 01:18 AM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
I've played WoW, Final Fantasy XI, RaiderZ, DDO and Neverwinter. I really looking forward to the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, and I wish I still had a device I could play it on . I'm not a really heavy MMO player, but some of my most enjoyable times in gaming were spent in FFXI and RaiderZ. I would really like to see a localization of Monster Hunter Frontier, as that would be an ideal MMO experience for me. I don't see it happening though sadly...
Old August 25th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Apple Juice
who are you
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Juice
Does anyone think it's worth it for the companies to try and adapt their MMOs into console games? The extremely popular ones have given it a shot, like Maplestory coming out with several apps for iOS systems. What would be your opinion on it if they did?

LP/Guide/Review of the Week! - create one now and it could be featured!
shawn , janna , dave // credit
Old August 25th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I think it would be nice to see some MMOs released on some consoles, I think it would be quite nice. But I wouldn't wanna see it spread to that many consoles because they would lose popularity on PC and whatnot. I don't know, it wouldn't hurt them to try and release it on iOS systems I guess, see how that goes and then decide what to do.
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Endless
& give nothing back

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
It would be great if they did, but I don't think the games are going to be that much of a hit. One of the reasons why is that consoles are mostly used for casual games, such as Mario Kart, Call of Duty, Sonic, etc. The developers know that, which prooobably makes them not want to take a risk like this.

Last edited by Endless; August 28th, 2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Whew, a few updates:

You can get a Wii U bundle that comes with the Wind Waker remake for $299.99 :3 Also, as you can see, alot of games are coming out on 11/22.Are you going to get any of these games? =o

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

I'm actually thinking about buying the bundle or getting it as a Christmas present because our family Wii U is unavailable to me most of the time because it gets used by my sister a lot and when we both wanna use it, my parents let her. Plus, Wind Waker remake should be amazing. Definitely gonna pick up Super Paper Mario World and DK Country, 2 games I've been looking forward to for a while.
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
If I can get the Wind Waker bundle at Target, I'll be a happy man.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Endless
& give nothing back

I already have a Wii U, but if I didn't have one, then I'd definitely buy this bundle. You're getting a Wii U system and a game for just ~$300, so that's an offer that you can't simply put down! As for games, I've decided to get Super Paper Mario World and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. They're going to be really fun. I just know it, haha. Once I have more money to spare, I'll eventually get my hands on the rest of the games.

Last edited by Endless; August 28th, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old August 28th, 2013, 09:05 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Speaking of updates, check out the 2DS:
Spoiler:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...-announces-2ds
Old August 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Speaking of updates, check out the 2DS:
Spoiler:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...-announces-2ds
You're a tad too late.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:17 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Yeah, I noticed when I loaded up the forum the second time :P

But I didn't have much time, I was kinda in a hurry.
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Spinosaurus
PK Love. That's what I do.

What the **** at the DKCTF delay? Ugh! Fortunately I'm actually looking forward to Super Mario 3D World otherwise I'd be SUPER pissed right now. The game I'm looking forward to the most this year is gonna be released the week before my exams.

Oh well it should be a great game to play on the holidays. And I have Wonderful 101 to play on the Wii U till November.

Also what's Super Paper Mario World?

EDIT: Dammit I have to wait an extra month to listen to David Wise goodness. ;_;
EDIT2: Wii Fit U finally getting a release date? Might actually buy it since going to the gym on winter is a PAIN. EDIT3: Aye, never mind, misread. Hope it's on November at least.
EDIT3:
Spoiler:

Fitting box art for holiday GOODNESS

Last edited by Spinosaurus; August 28th, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:01 AM
90FC3C
not BAD meaning BAD but BAD meaning GOOD!

Nature: Lonely
I suddenly kind of want to buy a Game Boy Micro. A little pricey, but they're interesting and novel and I'm drawn to things like that.

edit: Scratch that, I've just ordered one. So now I'm waiting for the Game Boy Micro that I just bought. (and I'm starting to think that $90 was a bit much for a Game Boy)

Last edited by 90FC3C; August 29th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Endless
& give nothing back

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90FC3C View Post
I suddenly kind of want to buy a Game Boy Micro. A little pricey, but they're interesting and novel and I'm drawn to things like that.

edit: Scratch that, I've just ordered one. So now I'm waiting for the Game Boy Micro that I just bought. (and I'm starting to think that $90 was a bit much for a Game Boy)
That's not a little pricey, that's extremely pricey. By adding a few extra cash, you could've bought a new 3DS system if you wanted to. Haha. Also, stores like GameStop sell used Game Boy (in good condition) for under $30. If you bought it from them, then you could have saved a lot of money. o:
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

Pretty sure GameStop doesn't sell GBA stuff anymore though. You'd have to use eBay or go to an independent store to get it since it's considered retro. GS only sells current-ish stuff - they've even stopped accepting PS2s for trade now. :/

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Yeah, all I see at my local GameStop is just DS games in the display case.. I can remember a point in time (back when several GameStops were still EB Games here in the US) when those used cartridge cases contained both GB/GBC games and GBA games.

In fact, when I was at my local GameStop last week, I didn't even see an original DS or a DS Lite that was used.. just a DSi and a DSi XL in used condition.
Fairy
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:25 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Must be pretty lucky then, there's a local CEX store where I live which sells second-hand games but they all work and are in very good condition, and they sell quite a variety of GBA games and for very cheap as well. I always go down there if I don't want to spend too much money or am looking for something nostalgic to play because they do have a lot of classics and oldies. :3
Old August 31st, 2013, 12:31 PM
Libra
I ain't insane, the world is just too serious...
Community Supporter

In our gamestores here in the Netherlands we still sell PS2 games, which is kinda neat, and even in some toy stores there are GBA games being sold (thats how i managed to get my FireRed).

Paired to Éclair
Sig by Aquacorde
Mental Omega record
StarCraft II record
VM/PM me
Old August 31st, 2013, 12:49 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

I don't think the more commonly known game stores will really sell GBA games again, unfortunately. Since buying online has started to become more popular, there wouldn't be much reason to sell them in store anymore unless they sold them very cheaply.

Quote:
In our gamestores here in the Netherlands
There's always something about European countries selling older consoles. When we were on our road trip I noticed that they still sell the first Xbox in quite a few countries and I was quite surprised to be honest. However, it was quite sad to see that some countries weren't even selling the latest consoles and the models before the current were quite highly priced.
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:13 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

I really wish we had a good retro game store around here. There are one or two, but they don't have the greatest selection or prices. I'd love to get into retro gaming since I missed so much of what most people consider the golden era of gaming - I'd really like to get a hold of an SNES and start a collection.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here