The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:58 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly

Advertise here
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, Geoff. I do have a SNES, however, just no games and no cables. I should really think about buying everything I need for it, but might actually wait until University to do so considering the amount I game at the moment and also my education.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:36 AM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

Unfortunately, retro game stores aren't that common in New York... you'd actually have to go to Manhattan in order to find one. ): I was able to visit one of these stores a long time ago, but I didn't buy anything because I didn't have money with me at that time. It was interesting to see all the old consoles, though. Most of them were in great condition, and some were even new and unopened.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:53 AM
CliCliW
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
In Ireland, really retro games are available pretty much exclusively online. We have a Cex (?) store recently opened in the city closest to me, which is awesome (yay cheap games!!!!)

The issue with old notalgia-trip games is the price. Crash Bandicoot 1 (for PS1) sells at about €10 disc only, and is pretty difficult to find. Same with the original Spyro game. I had to buy a PS2 with a load of games just to get a hold of Spyro! it cost me about €30 or so but hey, if I get around to it I can sell off some of the games I don't want and keep the surplus to get back the price of it

I've never played a SNES though. @Pave Low I hope you manage to get yours up and running!

Deceased:

Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:36 AM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

All right, I hope this isn't too early to start a new topic, but here it goes! =)

A lot of kids are playing violent video games these days, and their parents are doing nothing about it. How do you all feel about this? Do you think they cause behavior problems to them? Are they more harmful to the minds of young children than violent TV shows and movies? Could they possibly lead them to commit crimes in the future?

Last edited by Peitharchia; September 4th, 2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:19 AM
xxkaylabby
cake the cat
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
well i watched on the Katie show apparently a 14 year old was addicted to halo and he killed his parents. he thought that they would just re spawn. he played about like 8 hours a day. i would definitely say it could be related, but i think something else is wrong with him and it was just an excuse.
i would say playing too many violent video games is bad. i would set a limit on your child's playing time and monitor the rating by their age.

|Theme|
|My Gallery|
|Friend Code|
|Trade Thread|

Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:44 AM
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliCliW View Post
In Ireland, really retro games are available pretty much exclusively online. We have a Cex (?) store recently opened in the city closest to me, which is awesome (yay cheap games!!!!)
Where are you in Ireland? Here in Cork pretty much Gamestop is the only game store we have (and SMYTHS to an extent) now that GAME closed down. I pretty much just order online nowadays.

Though I actually got lucky once and ended up finding PS2 games in our local gamestop for cheap (1 euros for all of them except GTA which was 3) and ended up getting Ratchet and Clank, Ultimate Spider-Man and also Tekken 4 for free (buy 2 get 1 free). All in good condition with boxes and manuals.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:10 AM
ShadowE
Swarm Hosts, abusing dem Swarm Hosts
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
First place you gotta think what was on their parents' mind when they buy a game like Halo or CoD to their kids. Some kids (and also adults) take games like these way to serious and then this aggressive behaviour can exist from it.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:17 AM
Spinosaurus

Kids playing M rated game shouldn't be a problem if they're raised properly and know the difference between fantasy and reality.

Hell I played GTA when I was 10...I think? I forgot!
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:19 AM
ShadowE
Community Supporter

Same here. I was pretty young when i played a violent game, but there are always people who cant cope with the violence in those games and their parents dont seem to see that at all.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
My brother and I played Goldeneye once at my cousin's house on his N64 and he got nightmares from it. :( For years and years after that, my mom refused to let us play anything violent. We had to argue just to buy Super Smash Bros and even then she hated that we'd play it. It's not so big a deal anymore but even as of a few years ago she'd get really antsy if we played FPSes while she was around, haha.

It kind of annoyed me when I was younger, but now I really appreciate that it meant she was paying attention. Of course, it also meant that when I borrowed GTA4 off of a roommate once and brought it home for a break in early university, I was SO surprised when she thought it was the funniest thing she'd ever seen. I spent a good hour trying to drive as many cars into a hospital waiting room as I could and she was in tears every time I'd manage it which just seemed so out of character of her. XD; (And she'd cheer for me whenever I gunned down the police trying to stop me after I stole one of their cars for the same purpose.)

Parents are funny.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:10 PM
Denny Hamlin
The S o u l Survivor

Nature: Brave
I played my first M-rated game at 10-11 years old, and it was my dad that introduced me to it. (It was probably GTA but i wasn't sure haha) It was a lot more bloody and I didn't seem to be bothered by it. xD
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:29 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I played my first M-rated game at a young age, but considering that I was 10 5 years ago doesn't make it sound surprising at all since there were quite a few released at the time and my Dad didn't mind me playing them.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:52 PM
Apple Juice
who are you
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Juice
My first M-rated game was probably way back when I was five or six and I'd go into my uncle's room to watch him play these gore-infested shooting games. I didn't have a good understanding of the whole thing and so I had no idea what the meaning of all the blood and guns were. I'm relatively sure he let me play a few times, and that would've been my first, haha.

LP/Guide/Review of the Week! - create one now and it could be featured!
shawn , janna , dave // credit
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:22 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

I did play Super Smash Bros. and Star Fox when I was a kid, but I don't know if they can be considered violent at all. xD I didn't start playing violent games until I was about thirteen.

In my opinion, violent video games should be kept away from children completely. By seeing what the characters do in the games, they tend to do similar things in real life just because they think it's okay to. Most of the time, kids who play violent games end up becoming abusive.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:28 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
I don't think mature games should be kept completely away from kids but parents should definitely be in the room as the kids play them, imo. For the first while, at least. :/ Or they should know exactly what the rating entails (either from doing research, playing the game themselves, or whatever it takes)--it's not like the ratings aren't there for a reason. Some kids can handle it, some can't.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
90FC3C
original character, do not steal

Nature: Lonely
Personally I think it's up to the parents' common sense to draw the line for what games are too violent. I personally believe that the ESRB ratings shouldn't be strictly followed or ignored (hell, my first M-rated game was at 13, but my parents didn't/still don't know about that) but parents can make their own goddamn decisions.
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:25 AM
ShadowE
Community Supporter

I totally agree with that, but when their kid goes on a rampage because of them they have to witness the consequences of it... I've seen it happen dozens of times (luckily i didnt do that), and even worse, people kill each other over video games.
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:12 AM
CliCliW
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdition Haze View Post
All right, I hope this isn't too early to start a new topic, but here it goes! =)

A lot of kids are playing violent video games these days, and their parents are doing nothing about it. How do you all feel about this? Do you think they cause behavior problems to them? Are they more harmful to the minds of young children than violent TV shows and movies? Could they possibly lead them to commit crimes in the future?
I think we have to remember there's a lot more than just the video game to consider when blaming violent video games for violent kids. I've spent the last 6 or 7 years watching my little brother become aggressive, arrogant, basically an ass, partly because of the village he went to school and was babysat in. This town is very much "violence is the way". When my brother was about ten I can remember hearing that some of his classmates had beaten lambs to death with Hurleys (think big hockey sticks) for sport. That's pretty brutal.

At the same time, he was becoming big into COD, FPS games, etc, and would throw angry fits whenever he wasn't allowed to play it (my mum's big on permission). All we could think to do was blame the games.

Since he's moved away from that village entirely, the difference is uncanny. Sure, he has a tantrum every now and again, but don't all boys? He still plays COD and the like, but he's far less aggressive compared to what he was. I think the environment is at play just as much as the video games he plays.

Personally, I find that when I play FPS games, especially things like CODZombies, I feel dazed and really out of it when I finish, which is probably a result of playing too long too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
My brother and I played Goldeneye once at my cousin's house on his N64 and he got nightmares from it.
Same story with me and Resident Evil, it scared the bejeezus out of me I had nightmares for years after it Such nightmares recurred when I started playing CODZombies too, but I think I managed to work it all out after a lot of exposure to it

Leading on from the previous question:

Do you think FPS games glorify war, death, guns, etc?

I can remember hearing someone speaking about video games saying they're a way of fulfilling a fantasy to be a certain hero or character, hence why many of us find the mindless destruction of GTA to be AWESOME. We'll take COD: Does it glorify war and killing and the like? Sure, the action scenes are flashy and whatnot, but while playing there's a sense of heroism to be gotten from them, being powerful and all. Personally I've never been big on FPS games that are all out war games, but I'd just like to see what others think. In this day and age, we have children of any reasonable age able to access these games, and for the more impressionable ones, could it leave a lasting kind of propaganda in their brains???

Deceased:

Old September 6th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Apple Juice
who are you
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Juice
I think we're getting to that point in our technology advances where if we want to keep harmful and inappropriate concepts from the eyes and ears of underage children, drastic measures must take place. The world is at anyone's hands with a device that can search the web, and so even if a kid doesn't get exposed to violence through video games, there's always some other way. Still, I think if I had kids of my own, I wouldn't let them play anything of the sort.

LP/Guide/Review of the Week! - create one now and it could be featured!
shawn , janna , dave // credit
Old September 7th, 2013, 12:19 AM
ShadowE
Community Supporter

I played a violent game myself at a young age and i wasnt really impressed of it, not being affected by the violence. It differs with everyone else, though the risk is high that a child will be affected by the violence in games
Old September 7th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

I cringe whenever I see a kid trying to get their parents to buy an M-rated title at a local game store. I just want to tell the parent about how irresponsible it is to buy a game for a kid he's not old enough to play. But then you usually get their responses saying "it's my children, and I can do whatever I want to determine whether it is safe for them or not," even if they know they're being irresponsible.

In other news, Nolan Bushnell, one of the founding fathers of the video game industry, is saying how Nintendo is going to the path of irrelevance due to the rise of the mobile market, as what I've mentioned from my previous thread regarding it: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/09/07...o-irrelevance/
Old September 7th, 2013, 06:25 AM
ShadowE
Community Supporter

That reminds me of the irresponsible dad from Happy Wheels lol...

I do agree, i mostly see people playing games on a Playstation/Xbox or PC, and barely you see Nintendo games.
Old September 7th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowExcadrill View Post
I do agree, i mostly see people playing games on a Playstation/Xbox or PC, and barely you see Nintendo games.
I blame the current video game industry trying to be more like Hollywood (cinematic cutscenes, realism, quick-time events, etc.) and constantly pressuring Nintendo to abandon their games' colorful nature and take their path.
Old September 7th, 2013, 06:56 AM
ShadowE
Community Supporter

Well i like cutscenes, but i prefer the animated ones over the ones that use real people in it.
StarCraft 2 for instance has amazing animated cutscenes.

and yeah nowadays the videogame industry focuses more on realism, they wanna get as many people into their games as possible and Nintendo suffers greatly from this
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Denny Hamlin
The S o u l Survivor

Nature: Brave
Well, I understand what you're coming from, Pinkie...but when my dad bought me my first M-rated game, I understood what my dad said when it came to violence, blood, nudity, etc. The whole game was graphic and has partial nudity, and was I terrified of it? No. Was my mom scared of me playing the game? She was aware of it, but she saw me as responsible so she was perfectly okay with it. Unlike other parents who think "violent video games promote murder lolol" parents should also be sure if their children are okay with viewing such content, but also they should be constantly aware of their surroundings as well.

But then like...video games back when I was 10-11 didn't seem at all violent. Splattering blood seemed like ketchup and dead bodies disappear within a second. idk, it's just me. xD

Sponsored Links

Advertise here