Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games
Reload this Page Video Games DCC

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Closed Thread

Old January 18th, 2014 (12:00 AM).

Entitlement? My... How's that term being used?
Old January 18th, 2014 (12:32 AM).
I'm a self aware man, I'm also borderline narcissistic

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
I agree with this completely. I do like Nintendo's products, but their online infrastructure is lackluster, to say the least. When the services went out worldwide just after Christmas, it really shows that Nintendo needs to upgrade their servers from the Windows 3.0 that they seem to be running and get into the 21st century.
Yeah that kind of thing can happen when like a server gets overloaded but what can we do. Nintendo now knows that they need to fix that and they will.

Anyone know any good RPG's for the PSP with or without voice acting and no strategic RPG's like final fantasy tactics of tactics ogre I'm looking at like typical pokemon battles.

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old January 18th, 2014 (02:52 AM).
Enter the heat of battle, go for it!

Quote originally posted by Luck:
If we're talking about sales, then power has never been THE significant factor. The strongest console has never been first place in its generation, no matter how much the marketers might drone on about triangles and blast processing and other buzzwords.
Funny thing is, the weakest console won the last three generations. PS1 (I don't think it was proven that the saturn was weaker though, but it probably is right? But then there's also the whole Dreamcast situation, which ended up being Sega's console for that generation fairly quickly.), PS2 and Wii.

Obviously, it won't happen this time, unless you want to count handhelds I guess.

And there isn't a word that I hate more than "entitled". That crap is thrown around way too often.

Twitter - Tumblr
Old January 18th, 2014 (01:21 PM).
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Spinosaurus:
Funny thing is, the weakest console won the last three generations. PS1 (I don't think it was proven that the saturn was weaker though, but it probably is right? But then there's also the whole Dreamcast situation, which ended up being Sega's console for that generation fairly quickly.), PS2 and Wii.

Obviously, it won't happen this time, unless you want to count handhelds I guess.

And there isn't a word that I hate more than "entitled". That crap is thrown around way too often.
The Dreamcast is considered the same gen as the PS2. It was the weakest, and lost.

The Wii won in terms of sales but not in terms of hype, lol. "Hardcore" gamers (I speak sarcastically here) keep ignoring it.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Old January 18th, 2014 (02:45 PM).

Quote originally posted by Cerberus87:
The Dreamcast is considered the same gen as the PS2. It was the weakest, and lost.

The Wii won in terms of sales but not in terms of hype, lol. "Hardcore" gamers (I speak sarcastically here) keep ignoring it.
I wouldn't say Hardcore gamers because the Wii has some very good RPG's though gameplay is a bit tedious. The fanboys of each console are as bad as each other.

Still looking for PSP jRPG recommendations

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old January 18th, 2014 (03:08 PM).
Ever Day Another New Adventure

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
I hate the term hardcore and casual. I just view everyone that games as gamers. I mean I play Uncharted which people view as hardcore but will also play fun stuff like Ace Attorney which is kiddy.
Old January 18th, 2014 (04:21 PM).
Let the Good Times roll!

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by AshleyKetchum:
I hate the term hardcore and casual. I just view everyone that games as gamers. I mean I play Uncharted which people view as hardcore but will also play fun stuff like Ace Attorney which is kiddy.
I don't know if I'd call Ace Attorney "kiddy", exactly. It's more like a difference of lighthearted and gritty.

And I don't really see a reason to hate the terms themselves; the terms aren't the problem. The problem is that people put negative and positive connotations on the words that weren't originally intended for them. "Casual" was never meant to mean "Easy Mode Whimp who plays kiddie games", it was meant to mean exactly what it says on the tin, someone who plays games casually. Similarly, Hardcore wasn't meant to mean "Competitive FPS Gamer", it was simply meant to denote those who are avid gamers and...that's it. They don't need to be competitive and, heck, they don't even need to play on hard mode, but those are the meanings that the masses have given them. They've warped their original meanings into ones that could be considered harmful or even abrasive, and I think that's the real problem. Before they were simply definitions, but nowadays they seemed to have mutated into self-defining titles used for the belittlement of others or the boasting of oneself.

It's despicable, really.
Old January 18th, 2014 (04:28 PM).
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Silver Tier

Nature: Serious
I agree with Mach, the meaning of Casual and Hardcore has been changed. What were cut n' dry meanings of words has turned into complicated and hateful.
Old January 18th, 2014 (04:29 PM).

Quote originally posted by machomuu:
I don't know if I'd call Ace Attorney "kiddy", exactly. It's more like a difference of lighthearted and gritty.

And I don't really see a reason to hate the terms themselves; the terms aren't the problem. The problem is that people put negative and positive connotations on the words that weren't originally intended for them. "Casual" was never meant to mean "Easy Mode Whimp who plays kiddie games", it was meant to mean exactly what it says on the tin, someone who plays games casually. Similarly, Hardcore wasn't meant to mean "Competitive FPS Gamer", it was simply meant to denote those who are avid gamers and...that's it. They don't need to be competitive and, heck, they don't even need to play on hard mode, but those are the meanings that the masses have given them. They've warped their original meanings into ones that could be considered harmful or even abrasive, and I think that's the real problem. Before they were simply definitions, but nowadays they seemed to have mutated into self-defining titles used for the belittlement of others or the boasting of oneself.

It's despicable, really.
Ah good to know I truly thought hardcore gamers were people who would play on the hardest mode and get all the trophies and that casual played Nintendo stuff. Sorry about that
Old January 18th, 2014 (05:18 PM).
Probably sleeping.
Gold Tier

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by «Chuckles»:
I wouldn't say Hardcore gamers because the Wii has some very good RPG's though gameplay is a bit tedious. The fanboys of each console are as bad as each other.

Still looking for PSP jRPG recommendations
I believe Persona 4 is on PSP. It's highly worth checking out. Storydriven RPG which has you building friendships as well as the typical defeat the badguy.
Old January 18th, 2014 (05:59 PM).

Quote originally posted by Somniac:
I believe Persona 4 is on PSP. It's highly worth checking out. Storydriven RPG which has you building friendships as well as the typical defeat the badguy.
Vita actually I think it was going to be on PSP but they wanted to go all out. I think the Vita is cheaper now but the memory cards are the real cost issue
Old January 18th, 2014 (06:09 PM).
Real Riders Wear Pink

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by AshleyKetchum:
Vita actually I think it was going to be on PSP but they wanted to go all out. I think the Vita is cheaper now but the memory cards are the real cost issue
Persona 4 Golden may be your best bet for the Vita then, unless you've already own Persona 4 on the PS3.
Old January 18th, 2014 (08:16 PM).
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

Chuckles, the PSP has a lot of RPGs but many of them are ports. If you're into ports, check out Star Ocean: Second Evolution, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, and Riviera: The Promised Land. Most of the other RPGs on the system are from a select few "niche" developers, such as Atlus, Nippon Ichi, and Falcom. I'd suggest checking out their games, although some one-off games like Half-Minute Hero, Hexyz Force, and Tales of The World might interest you.

Quote originally posted by Cassino:
Entitlement? My... How's that term being used?
It's usually used as nothing but PR talk to downplay poorly thought out game design. It died down since the Mass Effect 3 ending outrage, but it's still used every once in a while when a fanbase feels upset about the steps that a developer is taking.

Then again I may be a little biased, so it's best to take what I say with a grain of salt.
Old January 20th, 2014 (01:55 PM).

Yeah I got the PSP, took me like 5 minutes to get custom firmware on it. I went with the E100X series, I have like no waiting times in between stuff and it runs smoothly for something that's preowned. I currently have Persona 3 Portable, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Ys: The Oath in Felghana. I had Class of Heroes 2 but I don't see the appeal in it anymore it's basically Etrian Odyssey done well but not good enough. What about like Highschool RPG's, kind of like Persona anyone got any suggestions.

Old January 20th, 2014 (03:10 PM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

Yeah I got the PSP, took me like 5 minutes to get custom firmware on it. I went with the E100X series, I have like no waiting times in between stuff and it runs smoothly for something that's preowned. I currently have Persona 3 Portable, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Ys: The Oath in Felghana. I had Class of Heroes 2 but I don't see the appeal in it anymore it's basically Etrian Odyssey done well but not good enough. What about like Highschool RPG's, kind of like Persona anyone got any suggestions.
Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time might be a game to check out.

Come play Runescape
Old January 21st, 2014 (07:23 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
I currently have Persona 3 Portable,
The best way how to start on PSP =D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old January 21st, 2014 (11:41 AM). Edited January 21st, 2014 by ShadowE.
No title to see here, go away
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Appearantly Microsoft is paying people on YouTube to prize the Xbox One: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/stealth-marketing-microsoft-paying-youtubers-for-xbox-one-mentions/

Also here's some more info on it (dont click it if you dont like TotalBiscuit :P): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjObpd5U33U
Old January 21st, 2014 (02:59 PM).

Quote originally posted by Mr. X:
Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time might be a game to check out.
I was looking at that last night, seems fairly good.

Yeah Microsoft is paying Youtubers to promote it but that's not the bad thing. There's a catch saying they cannot say anything bad about Microsoft or machinima and they cannot say they are being paid to say so. Something in the ToA is illegal can't remember but its gonna bite Microsoft.

Old January 21st, 2014 (11:05 PM).
Crystal Tier

I was looking at that last night, seems fairly good.

Yeah Microsoft is paying Youtubers to promote it but that's not the bad thing. There's a catch saying they cannot say anything bad about Microsoft or machinima and they cannot say they are being paid to say so. Something in the ToA is illegal can't remember but its gonna bite Microsoft.
Yeah i forgot to note that, since it would be normal is the person is allowed to be fair.
Old January 22nd, 2014 (01:09 AM).
lost cause

Quote originally posted by ShadowE:
Appearantly Microsoft is paying people on YouTube to prize the Xbox One: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/stealth-marketing-microsoft-paying-youtubers-for-xbox-one-mentions/

Also here's some more info on it (dont click it if you dont like TotalBiscuit ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjObpd5U33U
Wow how pathetic for Microsoft. First they hand out people's personal information to the government now this. I'm glad I'm team Sony. Playstation forever!
Old January 22nd, 2014 (01:37 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Introvert:
Wow how pathetic for Microsoft. First they hand out people's personal information to the government now this. I'm glad I'm team Sony. Playstation forever!
Sony isnt that great either. Remember the big hack a few years ago that made online gaming unavalible for a long time?
It got fixed though (i think), but it was a huge blow to Sony and the PS3
Old January 22nd, 2014 (01:47 AM).
lost cause

Quote originally posted by ShadowE:
Sony isnt that great either. Remember the big hack a few years ago that made online gaming unavalible for a long time?
It got fixed though (i think), but it was a huge blow to Sony and the PS3
Live accounts can get hacked too but yeah that was pretty bad. Still I'd rather side with a company that genuinely screwed up than a company that has done morally reprehensible things like handing out their own consumer's personal information to the government. It's disgusting that they invaded our privacy like that, but I suppose some people have no problems with it. Is this how jaded our society has become? Anyone who still purchases Microsoft products outta be ashamed of themselves. You're supporting a corrupt, corporate monster.
Old January 22nd, 2014 (01:52 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Introvert:
Live accounts can get hacked too but yeah that was pretty bad. Still I'd rather side with a company that genuinely screwed up than a company that has done morally reprehensible things like handing out their own consumer's personal information to the government. It's disgusting that they invaded our privacy like that, but I suppose some people have no problems with it. Is this how jaded our society had become? Anyone who still purchases Microsoft products outta be ashamed of themselves. You're supporting a corrupt, corporate monster.
Yeah, i heard stories of people trading in their PS3 for a Xbox 360, but i never did that myself haha.
Though this only happened once and never again.

Well the thing is, some Microsoft products are actually good, but i dont see why they even would think of this as its pretty much illegal. You force people to be positive about your products. But then again its also sad people do this, money can change a lot, not only in the gaming industry. Besides its not Mircosoft who is corrupt, its the people who do accept their money who are corrupt.
Old January 22nd, 2014 (05:43 PM).

i am addicted in Video Games and stay up to play Guild Wars.
Old January 22nd, 2014 (10:05 PM). Edited January 22nd, 2014 by Nakala Pri.
Banned

Nature: Naughty
I'm so addicted I sometimes forget i'm alive. xD

Lost Fire Emblem: Awakening, want to wring somebody's neck, but on the other hand, playing New Style Boutique all day is dramatically widening my fashion mind. xD

Move along, yo! ^^

I hate swag but this theme makes me feel kewl! :D
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)