The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 24th, 2014, 08:12 PM
machomuu
Master Spark is Comin' to Town
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Well at least it'll make more sense when I call them Bamco now. Before I guess the correct way of saying it would have been Namdai, and it really isn't as sharp.
Old January 24th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Well at least it'll make more sense when I call them Bamco now.
ngl that'd be a better name than they currently have now.

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old January 24th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Toddler Naruto
Playful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphadora View Post
Aside from Pokémon, I never keep old games. I usually just trade them into stores for credits, haha.
I used to do that when I was a teen/kid, but now I keep everything I buy, since it's expensive to try and re-buy older games or consoles (I still have my PS1, PS2, and PSP, for example).

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Spinosaurus
Scoundrel with a Fart of Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoshi Ookami View Post

Persona 4 is for PS2... Persona 4 Golden is for PSV.
PS3 will have Persona 5.
And even if someone played vanilla P4, P4G is a must ;)
Not at all.

Persona 4 is not replayable. OK, a second playthrough to get the secret ending (if missed) and seeing all the social links you didn't go for is probably not a bad idea, but after that? Eh. The game just isn't that good because the combat system is awfully shallow and dungeons are just randomly generated, not fun at all. The best thing about the game is Inaba itself and the social links, but 60 hours of that is more than enough already.
Old January 25th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Not at all.

Persona 4 is not replayable. OK, a second playthrough to get the secret ending (if missed) and seeing all the social links you didn't go for is probably not a bad idea, but after that? Eh. The game just isn't that good because the combat system is awfully shallow and dungeons are just randomly generated, not fun at all. The best thing about the game is Inaba itself and the social links, but 60 hours of that is more than enough already.
Of course. Persona games aren't meant for replaying but enjoying to the fullest in one playthrough. But P4G is played for Marie's story and epilogue. It's not a replay of vanilla P4. Those new features are enough to give it a chance.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old January 25th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I gave it around 200 hours before I got bored. Still a pretty good game, though.
Old January 25th, 2014, 07:14 PM
shenanigans
in rainbows

I built a PC today. 8)

Gimme fun and preferably cheap on Steam games to clog it up with.
Old January 26th, 2014, 12:33 AM
ShadowE
Competitive RTS gamer, also drunk
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
I built a PC today. 8)

What's your price limit per game and i can list some for you :)
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:43 AM
shenanigans
in rainbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowE View Post
What's your price limit per game and i can list some for you :)
Actually, forget the price limit. I can save up or wait for them to get cheaper. Just give me some ideas, haha.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Spinosaurus

I heard that Metal Gear Rising game that finally got released on steam is pretty cool.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:45 AM
ShadowE
Competitive RTS gamer, also drunk
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Well currently im in love with Starbound, Terraria and Borderlands 2. I dont have that much games on Steam though hahaha

Quote:
I heard that Metal Gear Rising game that finally got released on steam is pretty cool.
A lot of people gave good reviews on it, and its a good PC port aswell.
Old January 26th, 2014, 08:09 AM
machomuu
Master Spark is Comin' to Town
Community Supporter

Quote:
Not at all.

Can't really agree, Spino. Persona 4 Golden isn't the same game that Persona 4 was, and actually finding someone that didn't like Persona 4 enough to play the game again with all of the changes and added content is pretty difficult, especially since the games were released a good 4 years apart. If the dungeons weren't randomized it wouldn't be very fun, especially for a second time around, and I'd hardly say that the combat is shallow unless you easy mode it up and foresake fusion, weaknesses, and the added spell cards and the like. Not to mention that a lot of combat changes have been made between G and the original. Those really seem more like reasons you specifically didn't like the game too much rather than reasons that most people would/wouldn't.

I would agree that Inaba and the Social Links are the best part of P4, but that's exactly why someone would want to revisit it. The game leaves you wanting more even though you won't get it. It attaches you to the characters so that you'll want to stay with them and see more of them, and you'll miss them when it's all over. That's why Persona 4 Golden was so appetizing. Not only are there entire months that have been added to the game, but there are new events, animated cutscenes, and even new Social Links with the addition of a pretty memorable character and the development of an already established one. It's very easy to see why anyone would want to revisit and why they wouldn't find it tedious upon doing so.

Though, I do miss Chie's old voice. Her new one isn't bad, it's rather spot-on, but there was a realistic dimension that only her original voice tapped into that I liked about her. Not really a con, though.
Old January 26th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Spinosaurus

Golden has some changes that I agree is worth a playthrough for. (only if you really liked P4 to begin with though) But all said and done, the game still isn't replayable. Any game would be if you haven't played it for 4 years or so though, lol.

I disagree that randomized dungeon make the game fun. If anything, it's tedious, as the process is the same in every floor where you just have to find the stairs. In my opinion, Naoto's Lab and Magatstu Inaba are the only noteworthy dungeons because they actually had some sort of design to progress (even if floors are still randomized), and that made them pretty fun to play on. Otherwise, I really, really don't like dungeons in this game, especially compared to something like SMT3 Nocturne where the dungeon design was pretty amazing and very fun to revisit. It's no Tartarus, at least.

The thing about the combat that makes it so shallow is that it's very easy to exploit. It's really all about finding a shadow's weakness, and once you do, you're pretty much set by spamming their weakness and getting continuous extra turns. (This is the same in Hard mode as well, only that you also have to manage your SP. YIPPEE) Bosses are an exception, only that it's all about buffing and debuffing instead. Fusing is addicting bu it's present in every SMT game anyway. (Plus, I prefer the way Nocturne does it.)

Persona 4 is amazing and everyone should play it, but it has its share of problems. It does best in actually being a role playing game, and Inaba is such an incredible place. But as a game, it's really not that fun or replayable. Like you said, the only reason you'd wanna replay P4 is to visit Inaba again.
Old January 27th, 2014, 12:36 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Persona 4 is amazing and everyone should play it, but it has its share of problems. It does best in actually being a role playing game, and Inaba is such an incredible place. But as a game, it's really not that fun or replayable. Like you said, the only reason you'd wanna replay P4 is to visit Inaba again.
You cannot expect a game to be flawless =) But if some RPG is close to be flawless, P4G would aspire to be one

Old January 27th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Spinosaurus

So being a huge Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents fan I decided to give Osu! a try.

I...hate this. Maybe it'll grow on me or something, but mouse controls is nowhere near as responsive or fast paced as touch screen controls. What I liked about the series being on the DS is that the touch screen allowed so much freedom and a ridiculously fast pace that it really co operated with the rhythm. The digital circles actually felt real when you pushed them. My sister even commented that I was a fantastic "drummer" when she saw me play. It's that kind of flow that I love so much about the series. I'm not feeling it with the mouse. It's so slow and awkward.

And don't get me started on the "beatmaps" I played. The icon placement doesn't even touch the worst of Ouendan/EBA. The guys at iNiS actually placed the circles in such a clever and rhythmic way that it was so easy to get into the rhythm and be addicted. Here, the ones I played just felt all over the place. No sense of rhythm whatsoever. Maybe I'm just unlucky. Then there's also the cheap interface and sound design, contrast to how brilliant EBA/Ouendan does it.

I'm being too hard on this, yeah. But I've seen so many people recommend this to me and actually going as far as saying it's better than EBA/Ouendan, so I had some high expectations. Personally, there are very, very few games that I'd consider flawless, and Elite Beat Agents and Ouendan 2 happen to be one of those games (Ouendan has some rough edges particularly in the circle placement but it's still damn great), and I finally thought that I still needed more of them. That, coupled with the ability to actually make your own beatmaps, pushed me to download. I'm really not liking it so far, evidently, but I'm gonna give it a chance. Maybe I'll download more beatmaps and see if I hit a jackpot or try to see if I can actually see if my rhythm I developed would be enough to make a good one. I should also get a better mouse, I'd say. Too soon to judge, probably.

EDIT: Osu! has over 2 billion people that played it.
That's like, a thousand times more than people who played all the three Ouendan games, combined. And that makes me depressed. ;________________________;
Quote:
You cannot expect a game to be flawless =) But if some RPG is close to be flawless, P4G would aspire to be one
Well.....

Ouendan 2 (+EBA) :P

Last edited by Spinosaurus; January 27th, 2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old January 27th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Mr. X
For Money
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
I built a PC today. 8)

Specs would be nice to know...

Bundles are nice n cheap. Generally a few good games in em too.

Like these here
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundl...mpions-bundle/
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundl...limits-bundle/
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/kingdoms-bundle/ (This one, sadly, doesn't include the ton of DLC for Magika... But the DLC bundle goes for sale a lot on Steam for cheap.)
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundl...brutal-bundle/

Additionally, you can check www.isthereanydeal.com for prices on single games.

Edit - Get Fallout New Vegas, TES Oblivion and TES Skyrim. NVUE and Oblivion Deluxe are cheap, Skyrim Legendary is still a bit expensive right now, but these games are all heavily modded. Tons of mods, tons of new stuff, so these games are well worth the money.

Come play Runescape

Last edited by Mr. X; January 27th, 2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Well.....

Ouendan 2 (+EBA)
Can't say anything 'cause I have 0 idea what that game is =D
I have never even heard of it before =D

Old January 28th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Got crushed 3D today. My brain hurts after only 3 levels. I'm so glad I got it at such a cheap price(like 20 bucks).
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:11 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Stud Muffin View Post
Got crushed 3D today. My brain hurts after only 3 levels. I'm so glad I got it at such a cheap price(like 20 bucks).
I was relatively interested in that game before its release... then I played the demo and I just hated it. I can't really explain why, but I just didn't enjoy it at all.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Little Big Planet 3

☆ Currently playing: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Shovel Knight

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old January 28th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Can't say anything 'cause I have 0 idea what that game is =D
I have never even heard of it before =D
Stop.

My heart can't take it anymore.

People not playing Ouendan. Let alone not even knowing what it is.

It just

MAKES ME SAD
Old January 28th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Orpheus
Fml

Quote:
Stop.

My heart can't take it anymore.

People not playing Ouendan. Let alone not even knowing what it is.

It just

MAKES ME SAD
I've never heard of that game Either...

Pair

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old January 28th, 2014, 11:48 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

I have heard of Ouendan. I just have no clue what it's about and have never played it... it's a Japanese exclusive though, so you can't blame me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Little Big Planet 3

☆ Currently playing: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Shovel Knight

skyluigi2
Old January 28th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Bruce Banner
hi
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Banner
Never played Ouendan, but played Elite Beat Agents. The games look similar. Elite Beat Agents was sooo fun too.
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:05 PM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

You have a point there. I've never played Elite Beat Agents either, though... it's one of the few DS games I know quite a bit about but have never played.

skyluigi2
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyluigi2 View Post
I have heard of Ouendan. I just have no clue what it's about and have never played it... it's a Japanese exclusive though, so you can't blame me!
Elite Beat Agents? It's practically Ouendan, but for America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Never played Ouendan, but played Elite Beat Agents. The games look similar. Elite Beat Agents was sooo fun too.
You should consider importing Ouendan. Ouendan 2 in particular is right on par with EBA. I dunno which of them I prefer. (Ouendan 2 has more songs that are fun to play, but EBA has the songs that are most fun to play, if that makes sense. Of course every level in each of them is quality.)

For people who aren't familiar with the series. It''s hard to explain, so here's a vid.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links