The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Bored of your old Pokémon games, but still want to play them? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old May 4th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Mega Mawile

Nature: Relaxed
Hey tributes and victors, congratulations on 100 posts! To commemorate this milestone, I am going to temporarily put a break in the rules. From now on, every Pokemon you catch or receive get an extra life. All you have to do is say "1UP" when a Pokemon dies in your game, and you can heal it. Note that you can only do this once per Pokemon per game.

Anyway, I would like to share an update of my progress with the other tributes.

Update #3 - Progress with Problems

What happened:
Spoiler:
I began by leaving Celadon City with Career Tribute Erika and her henchwomen dead in their tracks. I left for Lavender Town so I could save one of my allies, Mr. Fuji, from the clutches of Team Rocket. On the way, I met a little Gastly named Homes. I offered for him to join me in my quest to win the Hunger Games and he accepted. However, it was not easy to get Homes up to speed with Boggs. He almost died several times. Eventually, however, Homes became a Haunter and it got easier. I destroyed Pokemon Tower and all the tributes inside before I left, however. I then beat the Snorlax brothers and went to Fuschia City. I beat the Gym Leader there, picked up HM03 Surf and HM04 Strength, and went on my way. I hadn't realized, however, I had left Saffron City in the clutches of evil Team Rocket. I went to Cinnabar with the Dome Fossil in hand, hoping I could revive an extinct ally. I still can't believe that the kid who owned it just gave it to me. I met a Gamemaker who offered to revive my fossil, and I had no choice but to accept. Since the process was long and boring, I stepped out for a minute and examined the Gym of the Career Tribute Blaine, who was known for his fiery temper. I realized the door was locked and wondered how I would find the key. But, I noticed, my fossil was ready for revival. I went into the Laboratory and received my fossil, a Kabuto named Mitchell. I also brought in my Old Amber, a present from District 13. I revived it to become an Aerodactyl, named Jackson. I then set up camp on the island and pondered about how I would find the key to the Gym.

Team:
Spoiler:

Homes Lv. 48

Moves:
Dream Eater
Confuse Ray
Night Shade
Hypnosis

Boggs Lv. 55

Moves:
Earthquake
Metronome
Rock Slide
Strength

Mitchell Lv. 30

Moves:
Scratch
Harden
Surf

Jackson Lv. 30

Moves:
Wing Attack
Agility

That's all for now. Remember the rule break and use it to your advantage! May the odds be ever in your favor!

Owned Challenges:
The Mega Evolution Challenge!
The NPC Trainer Challenge!
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Crescend
Breeder

This seems like an interesting challenge, I'll give this a spin

To be honest I never watched the hunger games, so I ended up picking some of the answers at random, but I ended up at dist 11 which sounds about right. Fighting types are my favourites anyways Though I do wonder why dist 11 used to be bug/grass and is now bug/fighting?

Username: Crescend
Game(s): FireRed, and more if I succeed
Ultimate: Maybe
District: 11 (bug / fighting)

Optional rule: Not capturing any duplicates, nor trading / hacking any pokemon in. I'm not going to use the 1-ups, because I'm a glutton for punishment.
I was also thinking of going even more hardcore and not using pokecenters, until I realised I would've had no way of replenishing PP so I gave up on that idea.

Team so far:
Spoiler:

Fisticuffs, lvl 16

Fluttershy, lvl 12

FurySting, lvl 11

Rockington, lvl 11

DaftFungi, lvl 8

Fisticuffs demolished Brock, and I swiftly made an alliance with him to cover for my entire team's weakness against flying types. So far I haven't lost anyone, but I wonder how I am to level up DaftFungi without getting him killed. I can't afford to lose my only secondary grass type in the whole game. I just entered Mt. Moon, Fluttershy is making short work of all the zubats with Confusion.

Edit: Day 2
Spoiler:

I made a terrible mistake. while fighting Misty, I was switching between team members to find an opening to use a potion on my main damage dealer DaftFungi with its bullet seed, so I could finish Starmie off safely. Swift was almost 2HKO'ing my FurySting and Fluttershy, so I thought I'd be clever and switch to Rockington to tank the swift and then safely switch back to DaftFungi on water pulse. But that was the chance Misty had been waiting all along. I realised my mistake too late, as water pulse destroyed Rockington. Sturdy did not save him this time, alas he had taken damage earlier in the fight... DaftFungi was able to revenge him, but she was nearly killed while trying.

The gym was won, but the death of Rockington left a huge vulnerability in my team. There was no rock types to be found, not until Rock Tunnel which was still far away. Long story short though, I was able to overpower Lt. Surge with the brute force of Fisticuffs, and I was able to catch an Onix to fill up the vacancy in my team, and named it SolidSnake. I was a bit skeptical about having a defensive pokemon in my team at first, I've always been full offense but I must say SolidSnake has done a phenomenal job of keeping the team alive, he's like the great wall of China against all things physical. He even has nature Impish which gives +def and -sp.atk. RNG was in my favor that day.

The team just after entering Lavender Town:

SolidSnake, lvl 23

FurySting, lvl 24

Fluttershy, lvl 28

DaftFungi, lvl 29

Fisticuffs, lvl 29

HM Slave, lvl 10

Last edited by Crescend; May 8th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Mega Mawile

Welcome to the challenge!

District 11 got changed? I don't really know; I didn't come up with this idea.

Sorry to hear about Rockington.

Owned Challenges:

Last edited by Mega Mawile; May 8th, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Crescend
Breeder

Jeez, death counter just jumped way up... This isn't as easy as I first thought I'd be.

Spoiler:

So I thought I was ready for poison gym, thinking all right my Butterfree can handle anything in there with Psychic... I'd completely forgotten how funky Gen 1 used to be. The first thing I face against is a lvl 38 Hypno, while my entire team is around lvl 33-38. Situation got dire very quickly, nothing on my team was able to take more than 2 hits each. Faced with the real danger of a complete team wipe, I realised what had to be done, even though I did not like it one bit. I rationalized that I could afford to sacrifice Butterfree and Primeape, as I still had replacements for them. Using them as deathfodder, I was able to finish Hypno off with Beedrills Twineedle, but it was a really close call.

Luckily there was Venonats close-by, only I did not enjoy the idea of grinding its level up. I figured I'd get some easy experience by killing team rocket's koffings and weezings with it, I mean Venonat resisted poison attacks and couldn't get poisoned itself right..? I'd been lulled into a false sense of security. With maniacal laughter, team rocket member ordered his Weezing to self-destruct, taking my new trainee with him. There goes my only hope for a psychic attack.

Not in a great state of mind, I captured Machop and Rhyhorn and decided to train them up by fighting wild pokemon nearby. Both of them died to my lack of judgment. I thought Machop was strong enough to take on Raticate of same level, but Hyper Fang got him first. Rhyhorn was tanking all physical hits from a Fearow very well, I thought it was safe at around half-health when a critical hit from pursuit suddenly killed it off as well. I'd forgotten Pursuit used to be special attack after all.

This is where I stopped myself and went into full-on defensive mode to prevent any further casualties. If I lost anything else I'd have permanent weaknesses in my team, with no replacements. The last glimmer of hope, was the scyther in Safari Zone. It took almost 2 hours, even with emulator speed up button, to finally catch it. Never again. I named it Kazekami, and taught him Aerial Ace and Double Team.

Grinding my way up the bicycle road, Kazekami was getting level-ups quick by leading and then switching to my Onix SolidSnake. Soon enough Kazekami was strong enough to go solo against the fighting types, and was nearly 1HKO'ing Machokes of the same level. Reaching lvl 32 by the end, we headed towards the fighting dojo to win ourselves a fighting type. Kazekami sliced the opposition, and the leader gave us Hitmonchan. Finally I had a full team again, but the question still remains how I am going to beat the poison gym?

Ken-chan, lvl 25

FurySting, lvl 33

DaftFungi, lvl 33

Kazekami, lvl 35

SolidSnake, lvl 41

HM Slave, lvl 10
(also I have my lvl 7 squirtle, which I am going to use for Surf until I get Omastar)

Last edited by Crescend; May 9th, 2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Old May 10th, 2013, 02:52 PM
dan0314
Unhatched Egg

I'm going to be totally honest, I never did start my challenge because of being busy with school and such, but I do plan on starting this weekend.
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:13 PM
KoboraX
Grand Master of Themed Teams

A bit of a short one this time around.

Spoiler:
I awoke and yawned a bit before proceeding up the beach, eliminating any tributes that got in my way. I also stole some Soda Pop from a few people and headed into Slateport. Some of the Gamemakers were around, and I decided to show them not to screw with me by eliminating all of them. Shortly after that, I headed to Route 110. I had another encounter with May, and beat her again, but like before, she got away. I grumbled a bit and kept going, reaching Mauville shortly afterwards. I stole HM06 from a guy and an Acro Bike from another guy, then took down Wally. He was just an innocent kid, so I spared his life. Maybe...I'm not just a heartless killer.

I busted into the gym and laid waste to every tribute inside, including Wattson. The guy was a madman and set off an explosion, but Cray luckily survived it with 3 HP and finished the job on his Magneton. After that, I headed up to Route 111 and 112 to finally go and catch something. In the really hot Fiery Path, I went and caught a Torkoal I named Prim, that girl from District 12. Shortly after that, I headed onto Route 213 and caught Greasy Sae the Sandshrew. Now the team was starting to come together. For now, I had to train up the new team members, then head on further...after some rest.

Spoiler:

Cray (Combusken) Lv. 33 @ Nothing
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Blaze
Moves: Cut, Rock Smash, Double Kick, Ember

Prim (Torkoal) Lv. 18 @ Nothing
Nature: Rash
Ability: White Smoke
Moves: Ember, Smog, Curse, Fire Spin

Greasy Sae (Sandshrew) Lv. 15 @ Soft Sand
Nature: Careful
Ability: Sand Veil
Moves: Scratch, Defense Curl, Sand-Attack

Luvdisc Solo x4
FireRed 3/8 - Ruby - Platinum - White 2
Omastar Solo - FireRed 0/8
Armaldo Solo - Emerald 0/8
Furret Solo - Silver 0/8
Pokemon Emerald Randomizer Nuzlocke - 0/8
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Crescend
Breeder

I beat Elite 4 and the champion!

The full story:
Spoiler:
Two more bite the dust. I thought Giovanni's Rhyhorn would be an easy kill for DaftFungi, figuring I'd kill it in a single Giga Drain... Except DaftFungi was extremely slow, and Rhyhorn got the first, second and third strike with Rock Blast.

FurySting on the other hand met his demise against Koga's Koffing, which self-destructed. Apparently I didn't learn my lesson the first time around.

As sad as it was, seeing yet more team members die, I felt a bizarre relief thinking that I wouldn't need to worry about leveling up those two again. It was getting increasingly difficult to find suitable targets for them, with them being weak against alot of things and not strong enough to 1HKO almost anything.

It was down to the core team, the guys who were able to pull their own weight. Ken-chan the Hitmonchan, SolidSnake the Onix, and Kazekami the Scyther. Soon, there was also the last guy to join the team; OOglie the Omanyte.

OOglie was a weakling when we first saw him, but I saw huge potential in his eyes. With a little bit of power-training, thanks to the VS. seeker, OOglie evolved into Omastar and soloed the entirety of fire gym without breaking a sweat.

The rest of the game goes by in a flash. Neither Sabrina nor Giovanni stand a chance against the combined force of this quadruple. Soon, I find myself on the doorstep of the fabled elite 4. I stop for a moment, feeling nervous for the first time in a long time. Once I enter, there's no turning back. I use up all of my rare candies, EV-items, PP-ups and take a deep breath before stepping in.

(as a part of the challenge, I'm not looking up the team compositions of my enemies. It'd feel like cheating)

First of the elite 4, surrounded by ice pillars... I bring Ken-chan to the front, thinking that I'd power him up with bulk up and then proceed to annihilate the entire team. But the second pokemon on Lorelei's team is Slowbro, a tank that resists Ken-chans all moves. Stubbornly I did not switch out right away, thinking beefed brick break should still do considerable damage... It's still below 25%. I switch out to Kazekami, take a surf on the way in, use sword dance once and then he hits with an ice beam. Does about 50% damage, went down to 10 hp left. Hyper potion brings Kazekami back to full health, but another ice beam brings him back down to 75/149 hp... Just barely above 50% health. Unless Kazekami finished Slowbro off in 1 aerial ace, he might die to the next ice beam.. I had to risk it. Aerial Ace hits, Slowbro's health went ticking down... but stopped at 10%. Ice beam hits, and my heart almost skips a beat... Kazekami lives with 1 hp. Thank the RNG gods. Slowbro dies to the next Aerial Ace. The rest of Lorelei's team dies to my original bulk up + brick break strategy. I barely survived the first of elite 4 without casualties... Are the rest going to be as difficult?

Rock pillars... I guess this's the fighter champion then. Confident that Kazekami could take on all fighting types, I send it first... Except that Bruno is leading with Onix. The matchup could not get any worse, I immediately swith to OOglie, who gets lucky and dodges the incoming rock tomb. Surf annihilates both of Bruno's Onixes. At the same time I'm very grateful that neither of them have ability Sturdy, as OOglie would be vulnerable to possible earthquakes. I switch back to Kazekami on Hitmonchan, and sword dance once... And gets hit by rock tomb. Thankfully, an un-STAB rock tomb does only 66% dmg, but it also lowers Kazekami's speed by 1 stage. Oh god, is she still going to be fast enough to get the first strike? I know she's very fast, she even has a speed-boosting nature but I still hesitate before clicking Aerial Ace... And Kazekami hits first. The same situation repeats on Machamp and Hitmonlee, still faster against both of them. I don't know how close I was to losing the speed fight, and it might be better that I don't find out.

Spooky music.. Definitely Ghost. Again I lead off with Kazekami, her sword dance makes her the best sweeper after all. Ghosts don't stand a chance, they get 1HKO'd, but Golbat survives one hit and retaliates with wing attack. It only does 40% dmg, but still I'd rather not take any chances so I switch to SolidSnake against Agatha's Arbok, and heal up Kazekami with a hyper potion before destroying Arbok with earthquake. The rest of the fight no-one takes damage, after another gengar missed hypnosis twice. Just one more left...

Dragon claws. So this must be the legendary Lance. I'd prepared for facing against dragon types, by teaching OOglie Blizzard and Ken-chan Ice Punch, but I still wonder if they're enough to win... The first fight is OOglie vs Gyarados. It's a slow battle, as neither have anything super effective but grinding out, with the help of some potions we win. Overall all the fights with Lance's pokemon turn out grindy, with alot of healing items spent on making sure I lose no-one on the last stretch. It's not the cool way to win, but you do what you have to in order to survive. Blizzard was not enough to 1HKO a lvl 60 Dragonite, but using healing items OOglie was able to hold on until the enemy finally hit himself in confusion and the fight was finished with another Blizzard.

And there was only one more obstacle left... Rival Gary, the snob who'd been trying to get me killed since day 1. I'd finally have my revenge on him, and strip him of his pride.

So far he'd always leaded with Pidgeot, so I position SolidSnake as my own lead. I make sure my team's got full PP's before I go face the final adversary.

Gary does lead off with Pidgeot, as predictable as always. Onix lacks firepower though, and not even 2 rock slides finish it off. And then Gary switches off to a Rhydon. Rock slide does pitiful amount of damage against it. Afraid of an earthquake, I need to get my Onix out of there... But what to switch into? OOglie would be able to finish rhydon clean, but he'd be vulnerable to the earthquake too... And Kazekami is too risky to switch to, in case he hits with rock move instead. I decide this was the time to use the death fodder I'd been bringing along, Rockefell the lvl 5 Aerodactyl, and switch to it. Luckily for her though, Gary used Earthquake just like I thought he would, and then I switch straight to OOglie while he tries to use Takedown. Just like planned, OOglie takes out Rhydon in a single Surf. Next is Venusaur. Scyther 1HKO's him after 1 sword dance. Next is gyarados, and I leave Kazekami in. With the help of healing items, Kazekami tanks hydro pumps and dragon rages until the enemy is dead. Gary changes to Arcanine, which almost dies to a surf. Gary tries in vain to full restore him twice, but OOglie is relentless. Next comes back the half-dead Pidgeot, but predicting another full restore I have SolidSnake use Screech twice before using rock slide again to get a clean 1HKO. The only thing left now is Alakazam. Knowing how fragile they are, I send in Kazekami and go straight for aerial ace. Unfortunately Alakazam survives the first hit, retaliates with a psychic but Kazekami survives with 26hp. One last aerial ace closes the deal once and for all.

The game is won, and no-one of the final team died, not even the deathfodder. I was having doubts halfway through the game, when I lost a number of teammates in a row, but here I am!

Now the problem is that I did not bother to figure out why the in-game save wasn't working, so I had been using savestates up until now. I didn't think it'd be a problem but the game restarts after the credits, with no option to continue playing after beating the elite 4... I've been reading all over forums that the only fix is to change the emulator save type and redo the whole game...

Will this still count as a victory, even if I'm unable to reach the official goal of finishing the sevii islands miniquest...? I did beat the first 3 islands when Bill appeared in Cinnabar Island, but the rest of it is inaccessible. Replaying the whole game from scratch is a bit too much for me, I'd much rather just move on to HeartGold. I'm going to take a bit of a break first though before starting.
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Mega Mawile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescend View Post
I beat Elite 4 and the champion!

The full story:
Spoiler:
Two more bite the dust. I thought Giovanni's Rhyhorn would be an easy kill for DaftFungi, figuring I'd kill it in a single Giga Drain... Except DaftFungi was extremely slow, and Rhyhorn got the first, second and third strike with Rock Blast.

FurySting on the other hand met his demise against Koga's Koffing, which self-destructed. Apparently I didn't learn my lesson the first time around.

As sad as it was, seeing yet more team members die, I felt a bizarre relief thinking that I wouldn't need to worry about leveling up those two again. It was getting increasingly difficult to find suitable targets for them, with them being weak against alot of things and not strong enough to 1HKO almost anything.

It was down to the core team, the guys who were able to pull their own weight. Ken-chan the Hitmonchan, SolidSnake the Onix, and Kazekami the Scyther. Soon, there was also the last guy to join the team; OOglie the Omanyte.

OOglie was a weakling when we first saw him, but I saw huge potential in his eyes. With a little bit of power-training, thanks to the VS. seeker, OOglie evolved into Omastar and soloed the entirety of fire gym without breaking a sweat.

The rest of the game goes by in a flash. Neither Sabrina nor Giovanni stand a chance against the combined force of this quadruple. Soon, I find myself on the doorstep of the fabled elite 4. I stop for a moment, feeling nervous for the first time in a long time. Once I enter, there's no turning back. I use up all of my rare candies, EV-items, PP-ups and take a deep breath before stepping in.

(as a part of the challenge, I'm not looking up the team compositions of my enemies. It'd feel like cheating)

First of the elite 4, surrounded by ice pillars... I bring Ken-chan to the front, thinking that I'd power him up with bulk up and then proceed to annihilate the entire team. But the second pokemon on Lorelei's team is Slowbro, a tank that resists Ken-chans all moves. Stubbornly I did not switch out right away, thinking beefed brick break should still do considerable damage... It's still below 25%. I switch out to Kazekami, take a surf on the way in, use sword dance once and then he hits with an ice beam. Does about 50% damage, went down to 10 hp left. Hyper potion brings Kazekami back to full health, but another ice beam brings him back down to 75/149 hp... Just barely above 50% health. Unless Kazekami finished Slowbro off in 1 aerial ace, he might die to the next ice beam.. I had to risk it. Aerial Ace hits, Slowbro's health went ticking down... but stopped at 10%. Ice beam hits, and my heart almost skips a beat... Kazekami lives with 1 hp. Thank the RNG gods. Slowbro dies to the next Aerial Ace. The rest of Lorelei's team dies to my original bulk up + brick break strategy. I barely survived the first of elite 4 without casualties... Are the rest going to be as difficult?

Rock pillars... I guess this's the fighter champion then. Confident that Kazekami could take on all fighting types, I send it first... Except that Bruno is leading with Onix. The matchup could not get any worse, I immediately swith to OOglie, who gets lucky and dodges the incoming rock tomb. Surf annihilates both of Bruno's Onixes. At the same time I'm very grateful that neither of them have ability Sturdy, as OOglie would be vulnerable to possible earthquakes. I switch back to Kazekami on Hitmonchan, and sword dance once... And gets hit by rock tomb. Thankfully, an un-STAB rock tomb does only 66% dmg, but it also lowers Kazekami's speed by 1 stage. Oh god, is she still going to be fast enough to get the first strike? I know she's very fast, she even has a speed-boosting nature but I still hesitate before clicking Aerial Ace... And Kazekami hits first. The same situation repeats on Machamp and Hitmonlee, still faster against both of them. I don't know how close I was to losing the speed fight, and it might be better that I don't find out.

Spooky music.. Definitely Ghost. Again I lead off with Kazekami, her sword dance makes her the best sweeper after all. Ghosts don't stand a chance, they get 1HKO'd, but Golbat survives one hit and retaliates with wing attack. It only does 40% dmg, but still I'd rather not take any chances so I switch to SolidSnake against Agatha's Arbok, and heal up Kazekami with a hyper potion before destroying Arbok with earthquake. The rest of the fight no-one takes damage, after another gengar missed hypnosis twice. Just one more left...

Dragon claws. So this must be the legendary Lance. I'd prepared for facing against dragon types, by teaching OOglie Blizzard and Ken-chan Ice Punch, but I still wonder if they're enough to win... The first fight is OOglie vs Gyarados. It's a slow battle, as neither have anything super effective but grinding out, with the help of some potions we win. Overall all the fights with Lance's pokemon turn out grindy, with alot of healing items spent on making sure I lose no-one on the last stretch. It's not the cool way to win, but you do what you have to in order to survive. Blizzard was not enough to 1HKO a lvl 60 Dragonite, but using healing items OOglie was able to hold on until the enemy finally hit himself in confusion and the fight was finished with another Blizzard.

And there was only one more obstacle left... Rival Gary, the snob who'd been trying to get me killed since day 1. I'd finally have my revenge on him, and strip him of his pride.

So far he'd always leaded with Pidgeot, so I position SolidSnake as my own lead. I make sure my team's got full PP's before I go face the final adversary.

Gary does lead off with Pidgeot, as predictable as always. Onix lacks firepower though, and not even 2 rock slides finish it off. And then Gary switches off to a Rhydon. Rock slide does pitiful amount of damage against it. Afraid of an earthquake, I need to get my Onix out of there... But what to switch into? OOglie would be able to finish rhydon clean, but he'd be vulnerable to the earthquake too... And Kazekami is too risky to switch to, in case he hits with rock move instead. I decide this was the time to use the death fodder I'd been bringing along, Rockefell the lvl 5 Aerodactyl, and switch to it. Luckily for her though, Gary used Earthquake just like I thought he would, and then I switch straight to OOglie while he tries to use Takedown. Just like planned, OOglie takes out Rhydon in a single Surf. Next is Venusaur. Scyther 1HKO's him after 1 sword dance. Next is gyarados, and I leave Kazekami in. With the help of healing items, Kazekami tanks hydro pumps and dragon rages until the enemy is dead. Gary changes to Arcanine, which almost dies to a surf. Gary tries in vain to full restore him twice, but OOglie is relentless. Next comes back the half-dead Pidgeot, but predicting another full restore I have SolidSnake use Screech twice before using rock slide again to get a clean 1HKO. The only thing left now is Alakazam. Knowing how fragile they are, I send in Kazekami and go straight for aerial ace. Unfortunately Alakazam survives the first hit, retaliates with a psychic but Kazekami survives with 26hp. One last aerial ace closes the deal once and for all.

The game is won, and no-one of the final team died, not even the deathfodder. I was having doubts halfway through the game, when I lost a number of teammates in a row, but here I am!

Now the problem is that I did not bother to figure out why the in-game save wasn't working, so I had been using savestates up until now. I didn't think it'd be a problem but the game restarts after the credits, with no option to continue playing after beating the elite 4... I've been reading all over forums that the only fix is to change the emulator save type and redo the whole game...

Will this still count as a victory, even if I'm unable to reach the official goal of finishing the sevii islands miniquest...? I did beat the first 3 islands when Bill appeared in Cinnabar Island, but the rest of it is inaccessible. Replaying the whole game from scratch is a bit too much for me, I'd much rather just move on to HeartGold. I'm going to take a bit of a break first though before starting.
Yeah, I think the Sevii Islands miniquest is a little bit too far. But, good job! And to everyone, congratulations to Crescend for becoming the Victor of this year's Hunger Games! Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Owned Challenges:
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:11 PM
KoboraX
Grand Master of Themed Teams

Spoiler:
I went and stole a Dig TM from a guy on Route 114, then went and eliminated all the tributes there. After that, I headed into Meteor Falls since I heard some Gamemakers were there and I felt like killing all of them. But, some Career Tributes ran out the Gamemakers before I could kill them. How typical. After that, I headed out and returned to Rustboro where a sponsor sent me a gift in the form of an Exp. Share. How useful. That would definetly help me get through.

After that, I went back to Rusturf Tunnel and helped two tributes from the same District as Brawly. Normally, I would've just killed them both, but I just couldn't do it. I had no idea why, either. Shortly after that, I headed back up Route 111 and 112, but instead of going left to the Fiery Oath, I went and scaled the mountain. The heat was really annoying and I was sweating like crazy, but I had no choice but to climb since someone cut the cable car lines. When I got to the summit, it was really hot, and I found the Gamemakers. I took down one, but their leader, Archie, and his partner, Matt, got away. Of course. But, I realised I was right near Lavaridge and decided to go pay Flannery a visit.

I went right into the gym and navigated through the traps she had set up for me. It took me a bit of time to navigate through the traps, but I managed to get through and reach Flannery. With Cray evolving into a Blaziken at last, she stood no chance when I reached her, and I made quick work of her. After that, I got another gift from a sponsor, and it was a pair...of goggles. Although, it would help me navigate the desert part of Route 111 for something I could find useful. Looks like I'm camping in the desert tonight.

Spoiler:

Cray (Blaziken) Lv. 36 @ Nothing
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Blaze
Moves: Cut, Rock Smash, Double Kick, Blaze Kick

Prim (Torkoal) Lv. 22 @ Exp. Share
Nature: Rash
Ability: White Smoke
Moves: Ember, Smog, Body Slam, Fire Spin

Greasy Sae (Sandslash) Lv. 23 @ Soft Sand
Nature: Careful
Ability: Sand Veil
Moves: Scratch, Defense Curl, Sand-Attack, Poison Sting

Luvdisc Solo x4
FireRed 3/8 - Ruby - Platinum - White 2
Omastar Solo - FireRed 0/8
Armaldo Solo - Emerald 0/8
Furret Solo - Silver 0/8
Pokemon Emerald Randomizer Nuzlocke - 0/8
Old May 16th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Polymus1

Name: Polymus 1
Game(s): anything above firered (exapt for leaf green)
Ultimate: No
District: 12
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Mega Mawile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymus1 View Post
Name: Polymus 1
Game(s): anything above firered (exapt for leaf green)
Could you be more specific about which game you're playing? Saying "anything above firered" does not tell me anything, really.

Owned Challenges:
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Crescend
Breeder

Like the masochist I am, I'm back for some more! After the taste of victory, I now aim for Ultimate!

Name: Crescend
Game(s): FireRed (done), HeartGold, Sapphire, Platinum, Black
Ultimate: Yes
District: 11 (bug/fighting)

Optional rules:
1. No trading (except in-game trades)
2. No 1UPs
3. Not catching duplicates in any circumstances.
4. If a pokemon is not my type but evolves into one, I'm not going to use it in battle before it evolves. Until then, it is strictly an EXP-leech. (Starter's the only exception)
5. Not looking up info on wiki to get unfair advantage. I only look up bulbapedia to see my teammates stats.
6. No restarting a game. If I get completely wiped out, I consider my Ultimate streak lost.

Update on Sapphire:
Spoiler:
Decided to start with Sapphire to get 3rd Gen games out of the way.

Luckily for me, fire/fighting became a thing from this game forward so I can use Torchic on my team. I name him Imba, and he evolves into Combusken before the rock gym, and swiftly demolishes it. I didn't want to make another rock alliance though, as I already did that in FireRed.

I catch a female Wurmple, and name it Rosalina. Now given my ruleset, I cannot catch another Wurmple so depending on how Wurmple evolves, I can exclusively have either Beautifly or Dustox. Rosalina evolves into the latter. I make a mental note to deathfodder her when the situation arises.

I also find a female Shroomish and name it Bell. She is the main reason I invented rule 4. It's going to take a long time before it evolves into Breloom, and it'd feel just wrong if I used her to destroy rock or water types. For now I'm not going to bother leveling her, until we find stronger enemies who give more EXP.

I also catch Baggu, the Makuhita. Even though I like fighting types, I've never catched one of these before. Somehow I just find it unappealing. Nevertheless, having a pure fighting type can be helpful, and she will have huge HP.

After a quick thrashing of fighting gym and team Aqua, we arrive at the electric gym. This is the guy I want to form an alliance with, as an alternative solution against my team's weakness against flying types. It also helps against all the water types I'm going to be facing against.

I was confident Imba would demolish Wattsons, like everything else before it. Without second thought, I repeatedly tap Double Kick. Then we face a voltorb. Double Kick fails to kill it, leaving 20% health, and it uses Self-Destruct... I refuse to believe my eyes. I was so happy to have a starter on my team, and it was the first teammate to die. Baggu finishes off the last Magneton.

This is where I decided on the rule 6. It hurts to lose such a powerful pokemon so early on, it'd be easy to restart the game to erase this mistake, but at the same time I realised the pain is half the fun of this challenge, and I must soldier on forward without him.

Baggu, lvl 25

Rosalina, lvl 15

Bell, lvl 13

Edit: Day 2
Spoiler:
Now that I made an electric alliance, I went on a catching spree around the local areas. The main guy I caught is Flashmane the electrike, who was the best electric type I could catch at the moment. I also caught more deathfodders, namely "Squash" volbeat, "Splatter" Illumise, "Stain" surskit, "Zap" minun and "Spark" Plusle. I also leave Bell into daycare center while I go around the mountains beating team Aqua.

Flannery's gym was easy with Baggu around. Vital Throw killed everything one by one while Baggu's massive health tanked any and all hits. I even gave her rawst berry just in case she got burned but it didn't happen either.

At some point I sacrificed Rosalina the dustox and Squash the volbeat. I can't even remember when those happened.

I went back and got my Bell the shroomish back from daycare. It was almost ready to evolve, with a little bit of grinding it evolved into Breloom. Together we scavenged the desert area, and saved the claw fossil from a sandpit. A quick trip back to Devon HQ, I resurrected it into Anorith, and named her Klacker. I also got an EXP. Share, which was crucial in getting her up to speed.

It was time to face my father. I prepared Breloom to wipe the entire gym. While the gym trainers were foolishly wasting time using battle items on their pokemon, Bell killed them off with mach punch before they could even scratch her. Only Norman remained.

Slaking. They hit hard, but they must rest every other turn to compensate. Unlucky then, that the only guy on my team who had protect was Rosalina, who is now long dead. No cheese tactics this time then. I had an idea though, I leech seeded the slaking and used mega drain to keep Bell at near full health, The first slaking went down without much problems. I try the same tactic against the incoming Vigoroth. Leech seed it again, but this time vigoroth hits with facade and gets poisoned by Bell's effect spore. This is BAD. Facade gets doubled in power from status ailments, and Bell cannot heal fast enough to compensate for that. I switch to Baggu, who is barely able to finish Vigoroth off but is also left below 20% health.

The last enemy is another Slaking. With both of my fighter types damaged, I don't want to send either of them in as they might get killed. Instead I send in Flashmane the manectric, and use thunder wave. I see the slaking preparing a Focus Punch. Oh Shi- *paralyzed* oh thank god. I proceed to spam spark to prevent the slaking from using focus punch again. Just below 50% health however, slaking uses Facade. Flashmane goes down in one fell swoop. Baggu switches in, knowing she can safely finish this off while slaking takes a turn loafing around. Victory, but my main electric guy is now dead.

Lucky for me though, I get HM Surf right afterwards, which lets me access the old generator area where I catch "GLaDOS" the magnemite, so that works out quite nicely for me. I do a bit of backtracking and surf the entire length of the southwestern routes while training GLaDOS, and it evolves into magneton.

Alot of exploration later, I come to Wynona's flying gym. GLaDOS is more than happy to tear the place apart. Didn't even stand a chance. So much for the weakness of my team.

Then I make a bad mistake. I face a castform in rain, and it turns into water type. So I switch to Breloom, getting ready for a water attack. But it uses sunny day instead. Not wanting to make any more predictions, I thought I'd just finish it off with headbutt. But it doesn't die, and it hits with 100 base power weather ball, which is fire type, gets STAB boost, AND boosted by the sun... Breloom dies in a blaze of scorching flames. I'm dumbstruck for a good minute. There goes another powerful pokemon from my team.

On top of Mt. Pyre, after kicking team Aqua about for a bit I find a new teammate; "Zen" the meditite. It's a bit weak for now, but that's nothing my EXP. Share can't fix. Klacker also evolves into Armaldo. She's super powerful, all it needs now is more powerful moves. steel claw, dig, rock tomb and ancient power are all base 60 power or below.

Zen, lvl 30

Baggu, lvl 37

GLaDOS, lvl 39

Klacker, lvl 40

Heha I feel like I should cut my stories to atleast half shorter than this in the future...

Last edited by Crescend; May 17th, 2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Polymus1

Name: Polymus 1 (P1)
Game: Emerald

FIRE!!! LETS BURN THE PLACE UP

STARTED GAME
named myself P1 as i do for all challenges
got torchic for district 12
saved proffesor
beat May
made my way to 1st gym
beat 1st gym no hassle
evolved torchic
TEAM
Combusken
(lv 17)

Last edited by Polymus1; May 16th, 2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 17th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Mega Mawile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymus1 View Post
Name: Polymus 1 (P1)
Game: Emerald

FIRE!!! LETS BURN THE PLACE UP

STARTED GAME
named myself P1 as i do for all challenges
got torchic for district 12
saved proffesor
beat May
made my way to 1st gym
beat 1st gym no hassle
evolved torchic
TEAM
Combusken
(lv 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescend View Post
Like the masochist I am, I'm back for some more! After the taste of victory, I now aim for Ultimate!

Name: Crescend
Game(s): FireRed (done), HeartGold, Sapphire, Platinum, Black
District: 11 (bug/fighting)

Optional rules:
1. No trading (except in-game trades)
2. No 1UPs
3. Not catching duplicates in any circumstances.
4. If a pokemon is not my type but evolves into one, I'm not going to use it in battle before it evolves. Until then, it is strictly an EXP-leech. (Starter's the only exception)
5. Not looking up info on wiki to get unfair advantage. I only look up bulbapedia to see my teammates stats.
6. No restarting a game. If I get completely wiped out, I consider my Ultimate streak lost.
Good luck to both of you! And may the odds be ever in your favor!

Owned Challenges:
Old May 19th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Tjakka5
Unhatched Egg

Well, let's give this challenge a try,
it's my first challenge ever, so, wish me luck

Username: Tjakka5
Game(s): Heart Gold for now.
Ultimate: Nonononono
District: District 3 for the win!

I will try to keep my 'story' as precise as possible.
Old May 19th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Mega Mawile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjakka5 View Post
Well, let's give this challenge a try,
it's my first challenge ever, so, wish me luck

Username: Tjakka5
Game(s): Heart Gold for now.
Ultimate: Nonononono
District: District 3 for the win!

I will try to keep my 'story' as precise as possible.
Good luck! and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Owned Challenges:

Last edited by Mega Mawile; May 24th, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old May 19th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Veevee
Lucario's Sword

Nature: Brave
I'm in.

Username: GoldenRayquaza
Game: HeartGold, Platinum, Black, White 2.
District: Capitol (oh yeah, this will make some good legendaries)
Old May 19th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Klawsome
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Brave
Hopefully I won't lose on Whitney...

Username: Klawsome
Game(s): SS
Ultimate: YES!
District: 12 FTW
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Tjakka5
Unhatched Egg

Just a little update for me:

I havent started yet, my game keeps freezing, so I just downloaded a emulator, and so, I will also do Leaf Green.

So, to be clear...

I'm still doing Heart Gold on District 3.
And I'll do Leaf Green on District 3, but, as there are no Steel types, I'll switch that to stone.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:38 AM
Tjakka5
Unhatched Egg

Pokemon Red

Day 1:

So...
I just heard I have to take part in the Hunger Games, together with my Cousin 'Gary', great.
I had to choose a temporary friend, to help me survive, and so I chose 'Squirtle', as I knew the first
tribute Leader I had to challenge was focusing on stone, and I could easialy beat him easialy.

I started off, killed my Cousin, and then went to 'Viridian City', I returned the Parcel, and trained my Squirtle to level 10.

I then went into the forest, often returning to the poke-center, and eventually I got to Pewter City.
I instantly challenged 'Brock' the tribute Leader, dominating him with some bubbles :D

After that, I spend ~20 minutes, searching for a Pickachu, cought it, and named her Voltz.

Team so far:

-Voltz [Pickachu] Lvl 3.
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Mega Mawile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjakka5
And I'll do Leaf Green on District 3, but, as there are no Steel types, I'll switch that to stone.
Umm, Magnemite? And besides, you have your electric types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRayquaza View Post
I'm in.

Username: GoldenRayquaza
Game: HeartGold, Platinum, Black, White 2.
District: Capitol (oh yeah, this will make some good legendaries)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawsome View Post
Hopefully I won't lose on Whitney...

Username: Klawsome
Game(s): SS
Ultimate: YES!
District: 12 FTW
Good luck to both of you! And Klawsome, you need to specify which games from each generation you are playing on for your Ultimate. But until then, keep playing SoulSilver; it's fun.

And to all of you, may the odds be ever in your favor!

Owned Challenges:
Old June 4th, 2013, 07:36 PM
0i8m
Unhatched Egg

Username:0i8m
Game(s):white
Ultimate:no
District:11
Old June 6th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Mega Mawile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0i8m View Post
Username:0i8m
Game(s):white
Ultimate:no
District:11
Good luck to you, and enjoy the challenge.

I don't know why, but I just don't seem as motivated to do challenges anymore, so I might update my progress a little slower from now on. Also, I might not update the thread as often, but I'll still try to maintain my one-week schedule. Bye!

Owned Challenges:

Last edited by Mega Mawile; June 11th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old June 26th, 2013, 06:18 PM
HonorThief72

Sounds like fun!

Username: HonorThief72
Game: Leafgreen
District: 3

Quick question, can I catch Pikachu or do I need a Pichu?

Last edited by HonorThief72; June 26th, 2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Mega Mawile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonorThief72 View Post
Sounds like fun!

Username: HonorThief72
Game: Leafgreen
District: 3

No, since Pichu is not available in LeafGreen, you can catch Pikachu like everyone else did.

Also, I have an update!

Update #4: Training Montage Fail

What happened:
Spoiler:
I got the key, then took on the next Career Tribute, Blaine, a fiery fire-type user. It was easy considering I had a team full of Rock types. I still tried to use Mitchell the Kabuto, because he was only Lv. 20 when I got him. I then went back to save Saffron City and Silph Co. from the clutches of the group of Career Tributes known as Team Rocket. I had intended to use this as a training montage, but that went down in flames when my Pokemon almost got killed several times. After saving Silph Co., I challenged the next Career, Sabrina. I mainly used Homes until realizing that Ghost moves weren't super effective against Psychic types. I just decided to use a mix while trying to train my team up. Lastly, I challenged the strongest Career Tribute besides the ones know as the "Elite Four" and my mortal enemy Gary, and his name was Giovanni, leader of Team Rocket. After beating him, I rested in the ruins of a town that was once called "Viridian City" that was inhabited by neutral mutants.

Team:
Spoiler:
Mitchell the Kabuto Lv. 35

Moves:
Scratch
Harden
Surf
Ice Beam

Leeg One the Rhydon Lv. 45

Moves:
Fire Blast
Earthquake