Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 27th, 2013 (07:55 PM). Edited December 28th, 2013 by Joel.Lion.
Joel.Lion

Nature: Lonely
I am not a "manly man". And I don't really care...but should I? Do other people care, do you? :o Do females care about being "womanly women"\"girly girls". Should gender stereotypes from the older days be continued into the future?
Old December 27th, 2013 (07:58 PM).
Honest
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Honest
"Be a man" can be so devastating to a child, especially with issues such as gender identity and stuff being extremely common. Personally? I like to think I have traits of both sexes. Weird to type, and I do think I'm more masculine than not, but ehhhh.
Old December 27th, 2013 (08:12 PM).
awolfsquared
Goomy is love, Goomy is life.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
My dad always tells me "be a man" whenever I can't do things that the stereotypical man should do such as lift heavy objects , touch dirty things with no care, and being brave. Most of the time it's in a joking matter , but sometimes he means it seriously and that's when it bothers me. I don't think being manly is the utmost important thing a male should be concerned about. If you want to and strive to be masculine then go ahead, but if you don't and prefer feminine stuff then that's fine too. I'm about 50 percent masculine and 50 percent feminine myself. There's just some typically masculine things I could never do or get into much such as sports and some typically feminine things that I love doing more such as shopping and fixing my hair more than most guys everyday.
#704 Goomy
Supporter Collab January 2015
tumblr | ask me things
paired to hikamaru
Old December 27th, 2013 (08:26 PM).
Zero
You are a slave
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Zero
I don't really like gender stereotypes like that. Everyone is their own person and should not have to conform to general standards set by society. I might be a little biased though, because when I hear "manly man", I automatically picture a huge caveman with roid rage.
I'm much more soft-spoken and emotional than most guys I know, but I'm not entirely feminine. Gender stereotypes should disappear. People should be able to behave how they want without caring about their traditional standards in the world.

Old December 27th, 2013 (08:30 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

I drink beer (sometimes), I scratch myself and burp, I work in a warehouse lifting heavy things onto other heavy things. Occasionally I'll watch sports and I pee standing up so I think I'm already a manly man. Except for my overwhelming emotions and desire to please and my sassy comebacks and my passive aggressive attitudes.
Old December 27th, 2013 (10:36 PM).
ElGuapoAssassin
Lord Of Dragons

Nature: Quiet
Appearance wise I'm the very definition of a manly man, being 6'4 with a full beard, covered in tattoos however I have a lot of non-manly interests such as my taste in movies and music and TV shows. However, who's to really say what's "manly" and what's not? I think that you shouldn't be judged on things like that, like liking a certain thing that isn't considered manly automatically makes you non-manly, that's why I just like what I like and don't listen to what anyone has to say about it, why should I care.
Old December 27th, 2013 (10:46 PM).
Sniper
ワイルドフラワー

Send a message via Skype™ to Sniper
"Manly man." That word. My dad used to say that word when I don't have enough courage.
When I was 8 years old. After I grew older, I realized that doesn't matter. If you try to do
the hard things or the things that you cannot to and pass it. That proves your manliness.
Which means being a manly man rates your courage not your interest or anything. And
I think that's my opinion. I'm not really sure about it
Old December 28th, 2013 (12:21 AM).
Limerent
Community Supporter

Hey OP it's just my opinion and this is your thread after all but I think it'd be nice if you wrote in a line to talk about "girly girls" and the idea of gender stereotypes in general and how people feel they relate to them

Just saying this because this thread needs more girls in it, because I appreciate some feminine things a lot more than a "manly man" should. I think being big, tough and dumb as well as using violence to solve things is stupid. Being manly by lifting heavy things or playing heavy contact sport is also stupid, enjoy your spinal injuries and brain haemorrhage's, lol.

I don't care that much about being seen as manly. If I did I'd be at the gym lifting weights to fuel my ego instead of on a Pokemon forum. Seriously, if you're doing it for fitness but good for you but those who do it so they feel manly then brag and put down others who don't fit that stereotype are really disgusting people, in my eyes.

That being said, I am undeniably a male. I don't go around crying about feelings and playing with barbie dolls and putting on make up like a girl would. (such sexism, wow ). I think i'm more guided by the principles of being a gentleman, that is not boastful, courteous to women and in general, presentable and stoic, hiding emotions like a typical manly man. It isn't entirely positive stereotypes I classify in but at least I don't have the brute physique and aggressive alpha male mentality.
Old December 28th, 2013 (12:25 AM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
I'm not attracted to manly men. I think there's nothing more gross on a man than that macho crap. It's so unsophisticated and testosteroney

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 28th, 2013 (01:10 AM).
Introvert
Banned

Quote originally posted by Shining Raichu:
I'm not attracted to manly men. I think there's nothing more gross on a man than that macho crap. It's so unsophisticated and testosteroney
^ Testosteroney Maybe I'm just immature but that made me giggle.

As for the topic. I'm definitely not what most would consider a manly man. It doesn't bother me though, I am who I am. I don't think there's anything wrong with being manly either. I just hate douche bags who take it too far try and assert themselves as the alpha male.
Old December 28th, 2013 (02:07 AM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
I've never understood this alpha male nonsense anyway lol, we're not a pack of wolves.

Nick, how is this beer thing working out for you? I drink premixed vodka drinks like a big girl because beer is the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted and I can only come to the conclusion that nobody actually likes the taste (because how could they?) and only drink it to appear more manly.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 28th, 2013 (02:22 AM).
Limerent
Community Supporter

Quote:
"I've never understood this alpha male nonsense anyway lol, we're not a pack of wolves."
No we aren't wolves, we are more closely related to species like gorilla's and such, but it's obvious that they still have a very organized societal structure with a dominant male to mate with the females, drive off younger males and protect the group. No matter how intelligent we humans may seem I still see undercurrents of that system in peoples behaviour. Not being the one on top of the pecking order can sorta suck sometimes :/

Do you think your sexuality has anything to do with how you identify with our gender? Typically heterosexuals are seen as masculine whilst homosexuals are stereotyped as feminine
Old December 28th, 2013 (05:05 AM).
Poki
idgaf no jutsu

Nature: Calm
Define what ''manly'' is.

Old December 28th, 2013 (05:09 AM).
Introvert
Banned

Quote originally posted by southpark32:
It's like being feminine, but more testosteroney.
Old December 28th, 2013 (05:42 AM).
Tsutarja

Nature: Jolly
"Being a man" has many different definitions, I really think it's up to discretion of the person on how they wish to "be a man"..
Old December 28th, 2013 (06:10 AM).
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
This relates to the gender roles debate.
Currently we're transforming into a state of humanity where our independent genders are super-positioned between male and female.

I feel like currently you're more attractive if 75% of you doesn't conform to gender stereotypes. That's just how I feel about people. So don't stress, pretty sure soon equality will mean just that.
Old December 28th, 2013 (08:37 AM).
ElGuapoAssassin
Lord Of Dragons

Quote originally posted by southpark32:
Manly: We like to **** with the door open, we go on riverboat gambling trips, and we make our own beef jerky.
Old December 28th, 2013 (08:41 AM).
Poki
idgaf no jutsu

Nature: Calm
Well, ****, looks like I'm manlier than most of you guys.

Old December 28th, 2013 (10:13 AM).
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Shining Raichu:
I've never understood this alpha male nonsense anyway lol, we're not a pack of wolves.

Nick, how is this beer thing working out for you? I drink premixed vodka drinks like a big girl because beer is the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted and I can only come to the conclusion that nobody actually likes the taste (because how could they?) and only drink it to appear more manly.
The only kind of beer I really drink is Shocktop (because its the only one I actually tried). Raspberry Wheat is amazing. I'm sure I like others. My friends who drink regularly recommend these underground beers that they don't have advertised on TV that I'm interested in trying.
Old December 28th, 2013 (02:08 PM).
Sylphiel
get away, run away, fly away

Nature: Quirky
I honestly would not mind if gender stereotypes were abolished. Probably won't happen for the longest while, but it would be lovely to me if they were.

Then again, I was one who grew up and couldn't get away with things the guys in my family could because "that's not lady-like of you." Can't wear that, should wear this, can't act like that because it's not how a girl "should" act. I remember it being extremely frustrating to me. I've never been much of a "girly girl" - have no desire to be. I've had some people try to care for me regarding that, but it's like...if I don't care about it, then why do you?

I'd rather a place where people can act like they want and like what they want instead of having to conform to a stereotype or else get mocked for it.

» Paired with Ausaudriel, yo.
» I also make pictures. Sometimes.
Old December 28th, 2013 (02:11 PM).
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
To me, concept of being "manly" is nothing more than a social construct.

WHIRL ISLANDS' FINEST (PKMN SHOP)
MY TRADE REVIEW THREAD
XY/ORAS FRIEND CODE: 3969-4824-9126

Old December 28th, 2013 (02:17 PM).
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I think the definition of being "manly" is having the ability to argue well. If you can justify yourself as manly, then who's telling you you aren't? Same goes for "womanly". Just be assertive and clear.
#363 Spheal
Supporter Collab January 2015
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old December 28th, 2013 (02:55 PM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Most people would say I am a 'manly man', just because how I am. The interesting thing now-a-days is, how can you define a 'manly man'? Sure, you can do the typical, beer drinking, gym pumping, manly burping male would be a 'manly man', but the lines are a little more blurred in todays world.

Either way, I think I am more of a manly dude and others would agree.
Old December 28th, 2013 (04:23 PM).
Corvus of the Black Night
Wild Duck Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Eh I'm not into that stuff. The guy I like is masculine in some ways and very feminine in others but I love him for who he is, not dislike him for who he isn't.
Old December 28th, 2013 (04:33 PM).
Creme

Nature: Mild
There really is no logical reason for such silliness to continue, as it is a concept based solely on society's preferences, not facts.

Feminine men, masculine women and everything in between have existed since the beginning of humanity, and they definitely aren't going to be dying out anytime soon. Whether people choose to "accept" them or not is a personal choice, but it still doesn't change the fact that those people are perfectly normal and denying that isn't going to change anything.

The only real "truth" behind those dumb gender roles is that yes, it is more common for women to be feminine and men to be masculine, but it's not the "right" way for them to be, since there is no "right" way. Period. We can choose how we act and what preferences we act on, but we cannot choose the preferences or personality traits themselves; only how we deal with them.

If people give you problems because of who you are, then just ignore them. People who blindly follow society's silly and untrue stereotypes/roles aren't worth bothering with anyway.~
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links