Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support
Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle

Advertise here
Agreeing with Alex. Privatizing votes seems like something that would be ideal, but I don't think it'd be something that'd be working well in practice(not to repeat words or anything like that). Yes, higher staff are reliable people, but who is reliable enough that the users can trust that can remain active an read through and count every single vote to make sure each and every member has the correct number of votes? Plus we'd have to forward/CC the PM to several other h-staffers because a backup count/secondary count may be necessary, and it just becomes a mess from there. u__u

Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong, but that's how I'm seeing it. D:
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Antemortem
wir sind alle freaks

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Instead of all of the h-staff members receiving votes, just designate two or three people to and of the ones they are given, they tally and by the end of the event come together with their individual point totals. As Kura said, it shouldn't be terribly difficult, especially since the h-staff should be trusted, else their positions would be for naught. If it means corralling situations like this from happening anymore than present day, I'm all for it.

do you know what hurts most about a broken heart?
not being able to remember how you felt before...
try and keep that feeling because... if it goes...
you'll never get it back. ever.
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:42 AM
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure
Community Supporter

I'd be highly against any form of private voting. I actually see no benefit to it, not to mention people like to change their votes during the competition, which would be extremely untidy if they had to start PM'ing the hosts over and over. I read all the previous posts and see absolutely no benefit to making this a private thing. In my opinion, it takes out the lightheartedness of the competition and forces it into a private ordeal with a private voting system.

If MotY was an important and illustrious competition, then maybe more security measures and privatized voting could take place. But it's not, it's not serious, and it's not for any hard achievement. This is a forum, and we show the world what we think through our posts. What's the point in hiding that?
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
There are also a lot of pages of posts, who else other than the people who are tallying are going to look through all of them? Maybe if you're on the first or second page people will see, but anything past that nobody is really going to seriously look at all of them (I'm assuming?).

Why would it matter if the voting is private or not? I seem to be missing that. (I haven't been here for a previous MOTY voting so if my opinion doesn't make any sense don't listen to me)
showdown, gallery, anime, & family
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
Yeah fair enough. Just trying to make everyone happy here. I was thinking.. it could be pretty fair that PMed votes couldnt get amended and Public votes could.. no?
And for tallying them.. the mod who gets the PM just copy/pastes it into a thread in the staff lounge for everyone to tally when the MOTY is over. I thought it could be fair, but I see what you mean about it becoming more serious that way than it's meant to be.

I wanted to bring it up because I think that, at least to me, it holds a bit of importance. (I know to me I shamefully take some pride in being noticed for something good here ;o;..) And so I think it's wrong to say it's not a big deal, or to say how people should take it, because everyone is going to take it a bit differently, and it's only natural. :33 (I mean even if you've been here for a year it's a noticeable achievement right?) :3 I thought private votes might help but who's to say there's not a better answer for this? So let's think some up!

So maybe the private voting wont work. Maybe people can PM someone before MOTY commences to say they don't want to be included in the voting?
Maybe there could be categories that people can work towards in an alternate thread kinda like PCX you know? So like I dunno.. like something like the Lerroux impersonation. And then in MOTY have "best Lerroux impersonator" or something. People could have a bit more fun with it. It may be a bit harder to organize, so I can understand if you are against it, too. Just throwing some ideas out there.

Maybe actually.. we can change it so that we're only allowed to vote for the same person 3 times or 2 times instead of (i think it's) 5? Then people can really have a think of who to vote for in what section? Or maybe you have to mention at least 4 or 5 different members for your vote to be counted? I'm just trying to make this more diverse. We have a lot of cool members so I dont think that would be too difficult unless a new member is voting, but that's where section specific voting might be handy for them, yeah?

I dunno.. what do you think of this stuff? Any other suggestions here? I'm trying to rattle my brain for some!
~Yuugiou Fan~
~Kamen Rider Fan~
♡(´・ω・`)LOVE! ☆
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Maybe there could be categories that people can work towards in an alternate thread kinda like PCX you know? So like I dunno.. like something like the Lerroux impersonation. And then in MOTY have "best Lerroux impersonator" or something. People could have a bit more fun with it. It may be a bit harder to organize, so I can understand if you are against it, too. Just throwing some ideas out there.

Maybe actually.. we can change it so that we're only allowed to vote for the same person 3 times or 2 times instead of (i think it's) 5? Then people can really have a think of who to vote for in what section? Or maybe you have to mention at least 4 or 5 different members for your vote to be counted? I'm just trying to make this more diverse. We have a lot of cool members so I dont think that would be too difficult unless a new member is voting, but that's where section specific voting might be handy for them, yeah?

I dunno.. what do you think of this stuff? Any other suggestions here? I'm trying to rattle my brain for some!
1. I was planning to do a voting for best Lerroux of the year in VIP forum, however it was way too inactive so I decided not to go ahead with it. Something like this for MotY probably won't really work out unless it's the text version, and even so, people have already submitted text versions earlier. :(

As for voting for stuff, people kept complaining about voting for 5 things only, because some people did fit into a lot of categories. That might make MotY into too much of a competition, where really people want to vote people to where they think they suit, rather than making it into an actual competition where things get competitive and people could get hurt. Restricting it even more just seems unfair honestly.
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
Hmm well i just gave lerroux as an example.. doesnt have to be exactly that. And i dont mean 5 things only.. i mean give it a good random minimum that could be fair. I'm throwing numbers out here as a suggestion, it doesnt need to be exactly what i say. Its why we are brainstorming. If you think its fair the way the numbers are now then thats ok. Im just trying to give suggestions to improve moty. I thought the more people you could mention the better so it can give lots of people a chance to place for something right? I think it's more lighthearted that way than seeing ballots where only 2 people are mentioned in like 5 places and that's all. I dont personally like seeing ballots like that because it doesnt seem to have been given as much thought in general, but maybe that's justme? I think mentioning more people does the opposite: it makes it less restrictive :3

If you have any ideas of how to make it more fair then please help me out here guys haha.

Also sorry again for typos.. phone again.
~Yuugiou Fan~
~Kamen Rider Fan~
♡(´・ω・`)LOVE! ☆
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

I think Stand Alone was pretty on key with some of the people who choose not to participate in Member of the Year. There are simply some people on our forums that aren't comfortable with naming names like what's required for Member of the Year, and for those, I think privatized voting should be used. While I'm against the motion of privatizing all voting for reasons Abnegation already stated, I do think catering to those who are uncomfortable with publicizing their member preferences and allowing them to send in their votes through a PM would be reasonable.
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Nature: Timid
I wouldn't mind having the option to have private or public votes, either. I'm just worried about the private voters and wanting to edit their ballots haha. Cause I know I edited mine a ton, and then you have some cases where people get modded or remodded and you want to add them to favorite moderator or whatever, and it'd be difficult if your PM is already sent, though there are obviously solutions to that.

But yeah, if you want your votes private, I don't see any harm in that. Though like I said, if both are an option, that'd be great.

paired to crono
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
I'm just worried about the private voters and wanting to edit their ballots haha. Cause I know I edited mine a ton, and then you have some cases where people get modded or remodded and you want to add them to favorite moderator or whatever, and it'd be difficult if your PM is already sent, though there are obviously solutions to that.
I suppose we could always make it so that you can only send your votes via PM during the final few days of the competition so you have as much time as you want to change them beforehand and there's very little risk of needing to change them? It makes keeping up with them a little harder but if it's divided up between, say, the whole of hstaff, that's not going to be many PMs per person to post/count.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
In addition, we could not let people who PM edit their votes like Kura suggested.
Theme
Pair
VM
PM
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I really liked the Forum-Specific categories!
I felt some of the other categories were a bit specific, but since it's supposed to just be for fun, there's not too much harm in it. My only concern is, if you're rather new, or not as active, you won't have an easy time voting already, and categories like "Most likely to participate in the Olympics one day" might deter even more people from voting. I know (think? I can't remember!) you don't have to vote for each category but from experience I know that if there are too many categories that the voter can't think of who to put down for it could very well stop them from voting altogether.

As for private versus public voting, I agree that having both options would be beneficial. Having the option of private voting might make the whole event seem more "serious," but it would help to bring in the votes of those who don't want to call out specific people.

It was still good overall. There were a lot of categories in general and that was nice. I would have voted, but I really didn't think I was active enough to cast votes that made sense (and I know it's not that serious, but anything with titles like "best..." and "most..." is bound to be taken seriously by some!).
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
Don't know whether it was mentioned yet but I was glad the nominations like from last year were gone.

Also it seems to me like there are constantly categories that sound like they're aimed at a certain person and it's not a coincidence that usually that person ends up winning them too. I don't know if this is like a sort of running gag among the mods or whatever but it makes the whole contest come off as kind of silly or a big joke, it's hard to take it seriously when there's things like "person most likely to listen whitney houston cd's on repeat" or like last year "person most likely to hate wikileaks the most" or whatever it was, it's kind of obvious who those categories are for. But anyway I think it was better than last year.

And I can understand why some people don't like MOTY or are bothered by it like Droomph when there's a select few people that always win the same things. Like "most PC spirited", if that was Nica last year then it will be her this year, and the next lol, so it's just kind of silly.
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Hybrid Trainer
My Secrecy. My Advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
Don't know whether it was mentioned yet but I was glad the nominations like from last year were gone.

Also it seems to me like there are constantly categories that sound like they're aimed at a certain person and it's not a coincidence that usually that person ends up winning them too. I don't know if this is like a sort of running gag among the mods or whatever but it makes the whole contest come off as kind of silly or a big joke, it's hard to take it seriously when there's things like "person most likely to listen whitney houston cd's on repeat" or like last year "person most likely to hate wikileaks the most" or whatever it was, it's kind of obvious who those categories are for. But anyway I think it was better than last year.

And I can understand why some people don't like MOTY or are bothered by it like Droomph when there's a select few people that always win the same things. Like "most PC spirited", if that was Nica last year then it will be her this year, and the next lol, so it's just kind of silly.
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say about MOTY. I don't really mind it, it was actually pretty decent this year. But the way some categories are aimed at certain people are kinda unfair. It might be a joke, but when we're constantly having to debate about it because members think it's a big popularity contest it seems rude to practically give members a MOTY position before it's even started.

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old January 7th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
For that, WikiLeaks WAS a big thing in that year, and was in the news, and the same for Whitney Houston, because she did in fact die in 2012, I couldn't change that. If I could've prevented her death I would've, but she was a news-worthy figure of the year due to that and given that it was 2012 in review, summarising big events, and relating people to it as a "fun category" (which is what the _ in review was originally for) then really it's not the problem of the winner. Even so, Harlequin won it because he was well known with his liking for Whitney, the point of MotY is voting for who you want, not the winner, and rather just see who fits into what categories - apparently not that many others were affected by the death and that's unfortunate, but you could vote more than one person and if people can only think of one person to vote for in that category out of 300,000 members, well... then that's really not the fault of the ballot and it's the fault of simply not knowing that many others. It wasn't aimed specifically at anyone, and no categories have set out winners, it's just coincidental that he obsessed the most ;(

You guys had options, keep in mind. If you didn't think Harley deserved the title, then those who voted for him shouldn't have voted him for the title. It's just a fun contest, it doesn't mean anything really.
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
For that, WikiLeaks WAS a big thing in that year, and was in the news, and the same for Whitney Houston, because she did in fact die in 2012, I couldn't change that. If I could've prevented her death I would've, but she was a news-worthy figure of the year due to that and given that it was 2012 in review, summarising big events, and relating people to it as a "fun category" (which is what the _ in review was originally for) then really it's not the problem of the winner. Even so, Harlequin won it because he was well known with his liking for Whitney, the point of MotY is voting for who you want, not the winner, and rather just see who fits into what categories - apparently not that many others were affected by the death and that's unfortunate, but you could vote more than one person and if people can only think of one person to vote for in that category out of 300,000 members, well... then that's really not the fault of the ballot and it's the fault of simply not knowing that many others. It wasn't aimed specifically at anyone, and no categories have set out winners, it's just coincidental that he obsessed the most ;(

You guys had options, keep in mind. If you didn't think Harley deserved the title, then those who voted for him shouldn't have voted him for the title. It's just a fun contest, it doesn't mean anything really.
Please, if one member constantly quotes everywhere how much she hates Wikileaks and next there's that specific category in the ballot then it's kind of obvious lol, but not that it still matters.

Also I never said that he didn't deserve it. I don't think you really got the point but whatever, it was an example, and the point was that having such specific categories that very obviously only fit a few people doesn't really work in your favour if you're trying to argue that it's not a popularity contest. Also, being affected by her death has absolutely nothing to do with it, if you like her music you like her music, whether she passed or not.

Anyways, this is not personal on you or whoever, just pointing it out seeing how you know this is a feedback thread and all.

Last edited by Yoshikkko; January 7th, 2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
As long as bobandbill placed for best avatar, I'm happy.

Wonder Trade!!!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here