The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:15 AM
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

Nature: Jolly

Advertise here

Honey trees as they're called were a new feature, introduced in D/P/Pt. Simply, all you had to do was buy some honey from the man in Floaroma Meadow, after defeating the two Galactic grunts who interrogated him. Then you just had to walk up to any honey tree slather some on the bark, wait around an hour or two and return to find the tree shaking.

Once you went back up to it again, a Pokemon appears <3. Do you like the honey tree feature? What do you think of the Pokemon you can encounter? Is it rather tedious and irritating have to wait, or does something make up for it?

Discuss <33.
. :p
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:20 AM
curiousnathan
a hero can be afraid, too

Nature: Careful
It's tedious and there isn't enough 'quality' Pokemon available for capture through this method, so I hardly ever paid attention to the feature. If it were made similarly to Headbutt (Pokemon would instantly appear) then it would chop the monotony of the whole process considerably. As it is now however, it just doesn't interest me.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:35 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I liked the Pokemon you could catch in Honey Trees, especially Heracross considering how useful it is in-game.

However, I didn't like having to wait for almost a day before the trees had a Pokemon in it and I wasn't pleased with that. I think my best capture was an elusive female Combee in Platinum.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

on a leave of absence

Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:38 AM
Xeninacra
Ripper

Nature: Gentle
The Honey Tree feature is like the Headbutt one but you need to wait some time for the Pokemon to appear so... I don't really liked that feature and I think I haven't used it much more than the first time just to try what it was.

Allez, hop!
Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:33 AM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Nature: Modest
I'm alright with honey trees. :) I've gotten quite a number of rare Pokemon from them every now and again such as Combee and Cherubi (that Munchlax has always evaded me though). I do wish there was some indicator or a Poketch app or something that alerts you on the time of collection and the whereabouts of a shaking honey tree. Perhaps Game Freak should introduce such an app in the 6th generation! Just my opinion.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family

Last edited by Autumn Reverie; January 3rd, 2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:05 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
I liked honey trees as a child but I usually ignored them, and now that I'm older, well I don't actually play in Sinnoh anymore :P xD
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Deceit
Toxic.

Nature: Timid
The idea was interesting, but it only held my interest for a short time. Waiting a day for a pokemon seemed way too long, and most pokemon were not that good. I think I only used Honey a few times, and caught some Combee, instead of the Heracross I wanted.
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I didn't really use the method much aster I caught the Rare Munchlax and Herocross. I don't see why I had to wait 6 hours for a appearace from a tree. I wanted to know what pokemon would appear straight away.

so I didn't really like honey trees
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
If the time had been cut down significantly (say, to 15 minutes), I think I would have actually used the Honey trees instead of ignoring them. I think the concept was good, but I just didn't have the patience to wait that long for no guarantee of a good Pokemon, so I basically just forgot about the trees and moved on.
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Arlo

I'm fine with the Honey Trees. They aren't a really exciting thing, but I don't see them as much of a bother either. I just do a loop around Floaroma Meadow and down to the Weather Institute and put honey on the three trees in easy reach there, then go off and do whatever I'm doing in the game. After a while (I find something around six hours or overnight, as the case might be, to be fine) I do another loop around those three trees, catching or fainting whatever is on them and putting up more honey. Once I've got what I want from them - three Burmies and one of everything else, generally - I ignore them. They're pretty easy to deal with since whatever it is that comes up doesn't change if you restart, so I can just save in front of the tree and see what's there, and if it's something I want I can catch it, then if it's got a poor nature or such I can reset and try again. Easy, straightforward and no bother - that's fine by me.
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Hooh54
Perhaps it is over.

Nature: Sassy
Never did use it, only wanted bird Pokemon being the bird obsessed 7 year old I was when I played Diamond.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I would have liked them...if I knew how to use them!
It was so...awkward putting honey on the tree and not knowing when to check back to see if anything was there. And so many of the Pokemon available through it were not worth such headaches.
It was a nice idea but definitely needed a better execution.
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:19 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I thought they were pretty annoying because of how long they took before a Pokémon showed up, if one did. Then a lot of the time it would be the wrong one. It made getting a Cherubi or Burmy for my team very tedious.
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Eeveelution Co-ordinator
Budding Breeder/Co-ordinator

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Eeveelution Co-ordinator
It never really interested me, but I use it occasionally to get Burmy for the National Dex

White 2:
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:51 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

I never actually tried using the Honey Trees. I always thought that the only Pokemon you would get would be Combee or some Pokemon that are similar. So I never even bothered with it :C
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:52 AM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

I could never get it to work. It worked once, and I found a low-level Heracross...then accidentally knocked it out.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Azure
» e l e c t r i c
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
It's a nice method and I liked how you could catch uncommon Pokemon but it was just waaay too time consuming, then there's the frustration of accidently knocking it out and waiting a further eight hours.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here