The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Ultraviolence
New Account: Ultraviolence
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Last time I was in love with a starter trio so quickly was Generation 2. Love Fennekin, that'll be my first play through starter!

Old January 9th, 2013, 10:12 AM
TaichiWind
X

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to TaichiWind
Guys.
GUYS.

Fennekin.
IT'S SALLY ACORN FROM SAT AM.

I'M SERIOUS.

Also, Froakie - I don't know if anyone has picked up on this, but it has that curly hair - possibly an afro? Or foam? Foam is "afros" in... I think Greek. Won't you know it, his afro thing represents seafoam. And judging from the just stated theory, it will get Head Charge on future evolutions, because you can't fault a Japanese name (Head Charge = Afro Break). IT'S TOO EASY

That's right... It's begun again... How long must this war go on?

Last edited by Hiroshi Sotomura; January 9th, 2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Editing out expletive
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:02 AM
F1refly
Master of Infinite Darkness

Nature: Quirky
I am making a prediction that it will evolve into something similar to a Victorian Era Gentlemen, the neck thing being a frill, and the nose thing being a pair of glasses
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Kotetsu-kun
Unova League Rival

Chespin? Man! I wish to own this guy! It's so cute! I wonder if the evolution forms look like? I had an Oshawott or a Dewott...

Ash+Cameron BFFs!
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:12 PM
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
So, I saw a picture of what the final evolved forms of these three might look like:
Spoiler:

Now, I know this is just fanart, but the final evolution of Chespin looks awesome :D I wonder if they'll look anything like this...

Any spriter interested in having their Fakemon appear in a fan game? Or designing fake Mega Evolutions? Shoot me a PM
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Kanto_Johto
Never glimpse the truth

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningAlex View Post
So, I saw a picture of what the final evolved forms of these three might look like:
Spoiler:

Now, I know this is just fanart, but the final evolution of Chespin looks awesome :D I wonder if they'll look anything like this...
If they end up anything like that, I might just have to choose Froakie. That frog looks like very Blastoise-esque (i.e. awesome).

Also, I will laugh heartily if Fennekin turns into a Fire/Fighting type. 1. because it hardly looks like it would evolve into a Fire/Fighting type, and 2. Game Freak are likely trolling.
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:02 PM
masaru3
Chespin, I choose you!

Nature: Timid
I love chespin and I'm so choosing it. I wonder if it'll be a dark type in it's final evolution. Fennekin does seem to become a Psychic type. Also, if Froakin became a Fighting type, then...

Their second types...
Chespin would beat Fennekin
Fennekin would beat Froakin
Froakin would beat Chespin.

On their first types
Chespin would beat Froakin, Fennekin would beat Chespin, Froakin would beat Chespin - duh.

This would be the first time they did this.
Black 2:
5244 5521 1042
◄ Masaru's Dream World Shop ►
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Zayphora
Don't mess with the lights...

Nature: Sassy
I'm shocked. I hate the water starter and love the fire and grass ones? That NEVER happens! I'm going to have to USE A FIRE TYPE on this one?! WAT? It's...so....ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!! *explodes*

The frog is just a dumb design, plus I heard a rumor that it was going to evolve into Water/Fighting, which I hate. I mean, look at that face... it looks so depressed with itself. Dang, now I have started to like it. But if it's Water/Fighting I probs won't use it...

Except if it evolved into that. That would be BEAUTIFUL. It looks like an evil Santa demon!

as if I actually had a 3DS...
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto_Johto View Post
Also, I will laugh heartily if Fennekin turns into a Fire/Fighting type. 1. because it hardly looks like it would evolve into a Fire/Fighting type, and 2. Game Freak are likely trolling.
I agree; Fennekin really don't look like it could become Fire/Fighting unless it evolved/Digivolved into Renamon, which would be very bad because Fennekin is already too cute for its own good... y_y
That and people really COULD start saying that the Pokemon look like Digimon...
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:28 PM
masaru3
Chespin, I choose you!

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayphora View Post
I'm shocked. I hate the water starter and love the fire and grass ones? That NEVER happens! I'm going to have to USE A FIRE TYPE on this one?! WAT? It's...so....ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!! *explodes*

The frog is just a dumb design, plus I heard a rumor that it was going to evolve into Water/Fighting, which I hate. I mean, look at that face... it looks so depressed with itself. Dang, now I have started to like it. But if it's Water/Fighting I probs won't use it...

Except if it evolved into that. That would be BEAUTIFUL. It looks like an evil Santa demon!

as if I actually had a 3DS...
Froakin does seem like a fighting type. If Chespin becomes a Dark type and Fennekin a Psychic type then there is another circle of type advantages where each starter can beat the other two.

Are these evolutions confirmed or are they fan made?
By the way, where did you guys see these news? For example, where did you see the revelation of the legendary pokémon's names?
Black 2:
5244 5521 1042
◄ Masaru's Dream World Shop ►
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaru3 View Post
By the way, where did you guys see these news? For example, where did you see the revelation of the legendary pokémon's names?
The legendary names are on Serebii. They usually fact-check their postings before they go up for reliability, so we can trust they are accurate. They have no information on starter evolutions, however.

Also, since this is a Starters thread, here's an image I also posted in the chat thread of a Fennekin plushie.

Spoiler:

Want. Cute.

Now, seeing the image above this post, IF those evolutions are true, then we have two of my predictions looking accurate; Grass/Ground for Chespin's evolution (a mole is a Ground creature) and Fire/Psychic (nothing here indicates Psychic; I go by the move used in the trailer). My second guess for Water/Fighting looks like it might be coming to life in that case instead of Water/Poison (a frog comes across as poisonous at times, but the evolution is no longer a frog in a sense and looks like a macho warrior of some type).

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Last edited by Cyclone; January 9th, 2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Add.
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Xlugon Pyro
Dragon Tamer

Nature: Bold
Back to the grass/fire starter choices for me.

Gen I: I almost always selected Charmander. Fire breathing lizard that evolves into a fire breathing dragon? The others don't even come close. Fire starter generation all the way.

Gen II: I found the Johto variety bland, but I typically chose Chikorita for its cuteness and preserving its general appearance throughout evolution. I've experimented with the others but this was predominantly a grass starter generation for me.

Gen III: This followed the trend of the first gen. as I was given the choice of another lizard Pokemon that evolves into a raptor/dinosaur like creature. I found this generation's starters preferable to first gen. but Treecko again dominated starter selection for me. Second in a row for grass starter generations.

Gen IV: The variety of Sinnoh Pokemon was awful and with such a terrible lack of fire types, I went with Chimchar despite its goofy looking final form. I liked Turtwig's family better but there was more to choose from for grass types in Sinnoh. It's close, but it's a return of the fire starter generation, with grass coming in at a very close second.

Gen V: Black & White broke the trend, giving us an ugly fire type family and a weak grass type family, so I went with water type Oshawott. It looked better overall and fixed my issue with finding a suitable water type for my team roster. Fifth generation was a water starter generation.

Gen VI: This can go either way, with my final verdict hinging on the move-set availability, stats, and evolutions of the three starters. If Froakie's evolutions turn out to be far more visually appealing than the other two, it might be a second term for a water starter generation, but as of right now it's a toss up between Fennekin and Chespin.

BAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGAGH...

In a world without substance, a nonsense signature is only appropriate!
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Froakie kind of reminds me of Cyclos and Zephos from Zelda:
Spoiler:

But that's just me!

Those starters up there look kinda cool, though Fennekin's slightly odd, I wouldn't mind those being the actual evolutions! I will probably end up picking Chespin. :3
Charmander > Cyndaquil > Treecko > Chimchar > Oshawott was my previous first choices, I guess I tend to go for fire types more but not just for the sake of them being fire types.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Vapie
Togepi

I kind of hope they don't do the fire/psychic, grass/dark and water/fighting. People are speculating this is what the dual types will be and are even saying it is confirmed! They are basing this off the moves the three used in the video, which does support this theory pretty well...

What do you guys think about this theory? Do you like it?
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:26 PM
gunnerpow7
☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Community Supporter

Chespin looks like Oshawott to me...

OH MY GLOB! FENNEKIN <3

And Froakie looks soo kawaii~

PokéCommunity Supporter Collab

gunnerpow7

☆ paired with MidnightShine, Twihiki_Amias, PachyfcgPC Showdown ☆ Lady Gunner ☆ defunct account ☆
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:58 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
I like Fennekin the best, it looks bland, like a yellow Zorua (I love Zorua anyway sooo... xD) but the other's look bland too, Froakie, frog with foam. Chespin, beaver (I think? xD) with a grass hat, and weird tail.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapie View Post
I kind of hope they don't do the fire/psychic, grass/dark and water/fighting. People are speculating this is what the dual types will be and are even saying it is confirmed! They are basing this off the moves the three used in the video, which does support this theory pretty well...

What do you guys think about this theory? Do you like it?
I'm venturing that Grass/Dark will NOT be a combination for the starter. HOWEVER, one thing that supports the theory is the use of Psychic and Fighting as possible sub-types, so if they were to use the other triangle in conjunction with the original three, it would create an opposite triangle in that the evolutions are weak to each other in reverse order...Fennekin's evolution with Psychic would knock out the Water/Fighting easily, and so on. Starters against each other would then come down to speed.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old January 9th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Vapie
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
I'm venturing that Grass/Dark will NOT be a combination for the starter. HOWEVER, one thing that supports the theory is the use of Psychic and Fighting as possible sub-types, so if they were to use the other triangle in conjunction with the original three, it would create an opposite triangle in that the evolutions are weak to each other in reverse order...Fennekin's evolution with Psychic would knock out the Water/Fighting easily, and so on. Starters against each other would then come down to speed.

Cyclone
I don't like the idea of the type triangle being messed up, but I am always open for change, and will judge it when I actually play it. But I would still prefer different dual types for the starters.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:32 PM
M4
Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!

Nature: Careful
The frog needs a redesign asap that thing looks worst than oshawott my god

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=286185
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:33 PM
igotpokeballz
x999 Thanks To Action Replay

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to igotpokeballz
Wow! I never liked picking the fire starter, EVER! Now i'm definitely picking the fire type just because of my obsession with Fennekin! He's soooo friggin adorable! :3

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
MY TEAM:
1.SERPERIOR!
2.UNPHEZANT!
3.SIMIPOUR!
4.SCRAFTY!
5.ZEBSTRIKA!
6.HYDREIGON!
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 View Post
Hikari, lover of Oshawott forever, would like a word with you...

Cyclone

Old January 9th, 2013, 05:40 PM
igotpokeballz
x999 Thanks To Action Replay

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to igotpokeballz
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 View Post
oshawott wasn't really that bad. :/ now a piece of pork(tepig) that spits out fire is strange lol.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
MY TEAM:
1.SERPERIOR!
2.UNPHEZANT!
3.SIMIPOUR!
4.SCRAFTY!
5.ZEBSTRIKA!
6.HYDREIGON!
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Kleinchen
boldly going

Send a message via AIM to Kleinchen
I actually think the speculated type combos, so that each advantage would end up eventually being canceled out, is a really interesting idea. I can see how it could be frustrating, but how often do players really use their starters against the other starters in-game anyway? Aside from the rival who already defaults to whatever has the advantage over you, which in the end would be neutralized, so... I can see why people would be hesitant but I think that ultimately it wouldn't affect the experience of the game much at all. To be honest, I really love Fennekin but the thought of a Grass/Dark starter line is so exciting! I might just have to buy both games! :>

White: Klein -- 5457 9480 5619
Black 2: Nikolas -- 5244 0858 4656

Old January 9th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Vapie
Togepi

I didn't like the frog at first either but... he's growing on me. I love Chespin too, but I think I will choose Fennekin. Freakin love foxes. But I won't know until I actually have to choose in the game haha.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Lord_Storm
Deathly Inferno

Nature: Naughty
It's very unlikely I'll choose the grass type unless its final evolution is far better looking than the others, which means I'll probably go with Fennekin unless it evolves into part fighting.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links