The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapras* View Post
I think that Chespin will end up with a dark secondary type, so that the Pokemon's secondary types can form another triangle Dark/Fighting/Psychic, since that's a trio of types that some people have been asking for in starters for a bit.

I saw these cool ones on tumblr, the first is fire/psychic and the second is fire/electric!
Spoiler:

I think that they'll do a good job, seeing how the positive the response have been to the starters, or in the end the evolutions will just grow on me.
The more fanart designs I see of the starters, the more hope I have that GameFreak will not mess them up. Loving the Fire/Electric design. I could actually see that working out if I didn't think Fennekin's evolutions might take the Fire/Psychic route so much.
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Superfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
I'm really hoping their final evolutions make sense to the rest of the line. I don't want something like this happening again:

I'm still trying to figure that one out.
That actually makes sense, though. The common motif throughout is a sea otter with a seashell, which grows from being just a scalchop on the stomach to becoming a giant conch on its head. There's also the theme of a samurai warrior and of using the shell as a blade.

I would actually really like seeing Fennekin become a Fire/Ground type because of Fennec foxes being native to the desert.

I also think that it would make sense to have it follow an ancient Egyptian sphinx theme in its evolutions. Just to, you know, differentiate it from Ninetales.

Last edited by Superfox; January 12th, 2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 12th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Capt. Pika
Unhatched Egg

I know no one who wouldn't take Fennekin! Probably almost everybody would take Fennekin - I hate that! Froakie looks very bad and Chespin looks like a mascot for a read fible in the elementary school!
Old January 12th, 2013, 12:18 PM
jsa0603
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Pika View Post
I know no one who wouldn't take Fennekin! Probably almost everybody would take Fennekin - I hate that! Froakie looks very bad and Chespin looks like a mascot for a read fible in the elementary school!
I love Chespin, and my wife loves Froakie.

Current Pokemon Team:
Gengar, Vaporeon, Porygon-Z, Arcanine, Braviary, Gallade

Old January 12th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfox View Post
That actually makes sense, though. The common motif throughout is a sea otter with a seashell, which grows from being just a scalchop on the stomach to becoming a giant conch on its head. There's also the theme of a samurai warrior and of using the shell as a blade.

I would actually really like seeing Fennekin become a Fire/Ground type because of Fennec foxes being native to the desert.

I also think that it would make sense to have it follow an ancient Egyptian sphinx theme in its evolutions. Just to, you know, differentiate it from Ninetales.
Hmmm... that's really interesting. Thanks for that. Certainly makes me appreciate Samurott a little more now.
I don't even know what an otaku is.
I watch one anime a year.
I've never read manga.
I don't play many video games.
I just have a Japanese sounding username.
Old January 12th, 2013, 12:21 PM
The Dark Avenger
An Enigmagma

Nature: Adamant
I honestly love them all; a huge improvement from last generation.

I will have to see the new gen 6 pokemon as well as evolutions before I can pick one.
However, like most, I am leaning toward Fennikin!

Avatar by Myself & Signature by Suikuzu
Old January 12th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Capt. Pika
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsa0603 View Post
I love Chespin, and my wife loves Froakie.
Perfect! So you both just need to move to france and then we can battle each other :-D
Old January 12th, 2013, 01:12 PM
The Dark Avenger
An Enigmagma

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfox View Post

Well, that would be interesting.
A fire/ground would be 4X weakness to water.

I feel like Chespin will be Grass/Ground though.
The origin of the name alludes to Groundhog in the Japanese name.

I don't think that GF would make two starters with ground, but we are talking very presumptuously!

I would then go on to guess that Grass/Ground which is 1X weakness to water would equate to Fire/Steel X1, and lastly, Water/Poison 1X. The fire/steel typing seems to be a stretch though!

(I hope they all just have one type)
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Chaos Fork
So I heard you liek Mudkipz

Nature: Calm
I think chespin should b grass fighting cause just look at him, he looks menacing

My NEW black 2 FC: 0347-8844-0065
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Superfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
Well, that would be interesting.
A fire/ground would be 4X weakness to water.
They made Marshtomp and Swampert even though that made the water starters 4X weak to grass-type attacks.

Although, the more I think about it, if GF went the route I'm thinking with a Sphinx theme for Fennekin, then it would make more sense to do a Fire/Rock pairing. It's still be 4X weak to water-types, but it'd free up Chespin to become Grass/Ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
Hmmm... that's really interesting. Thanks for that. Certainly makes me appreciate Samurott a little more now.
No problem. Actually, Samurott is one of my favorite of the starter evolutions period. Although the only final form of a starter that I haven't liked was Emboar.

Last edited by Superfox; January 12th, 2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Chaos Fork
So I heard you liek Mudkipz

Nature: Calm
Nickname time!
Chespin: GreenSonic
Fennekin: Vulpix
Froakie: ugh... actually I have no idea what to name it..
Random, much?
Anyway, froakie kinda looks like it would be a water ground poke and fennekin maybe fire (FIGHTING) psychic or maybe even fire ghost
But if fennekin turns out to b ANOTHER FIRE FIGHTING I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL calm down and deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Pika View Post
Did u just insult chespin?!!

My NEW black 2 FC: 0347-8844-0065

Last edited by Chaos Fork; January 12th, 2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Sagiri

If they didn't evolve, I would go with Fennekin. It's design looks the coolest, at least to me.

But, as I think more about it, I can't decide between Chespin and Fennekin. This might sound weird, but, to me, Chespin's design looks like it has a lot of potential for its evolutions to be really awesome, whereas Fennekin has a lot of potential to have its design ruined after evolving. I can't really explain why I feel that way, but still.

Personally, I see Chespin evolving into a Grass/Ground, Fennekin evolving into a Fire/Ghost, and Froakie staying a pure water type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
All I know is that I'm going to be super happy with Chespin if it's evolution is a stronger Torterra. XD
If Chespin ends up with Infernape's stats and Torterra's type, that'd suit me perfectly.

Last edited by Sagiri; January 12th, 2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
All I know is that I'm going to be super happy with Chespin if it's evolution is a stronger Torterra. XD
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Vapie
Togepi

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bear View Post
If they didn't evolve, I would go with Fennekin. It's design looks the coolest, at least to me.

But, as I think more about it, I can't decide between Chespin and Fennekin. This might sound weird, but, to me, Chespin's design looks like it has a lot of potential for its evolutions to be really awesome, whereas Fennekin has a lot of potential to have its design ruined after evolving. I can't really explain why I feel that way, but still.

Personally, I see Chespin evolving into a Grass/Ground, Fennekin evolving into a Fire/Ghost, and Froakie staying a pure water type.

If Chespin ends up with Infernape's stats and Torterra's type, that'd suit me perfectly.
That is so true, I feel the same way with Chespin and Fennekin right now. Chespin just looks like a little warrior! It's awesome! I've seen some cool fanart of him going along a knightly evolution and I like it a lot. And I just love Fennekin.
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon_68 View Post
You know what would make me mad? If they named Chespin's final evolution "Chesperior". -_- lol
Nah I don't see why they'd repeat the name of Serperior in the generation after it. If anything Serperior almost guarantees that Chespin won't be called Chesperior. XD;
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:57 PM
The_Consumer

Chespin reminds me of Pachirisu
Fennelin reminds me of Zorua
Froakie reminds me of...Meditite?

I like Chespin. Chespin looks adorable and confident and powerful. It's probably one of my preferred starters. However, until they release information on their evolved forms, I'm undecided.
I hope they're neat.
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I think I want to take Chespin home! So it'll be my starter. Let's hope that this time around it's even better than Serpy.
Old January 12th, 2013, 06:35 PM
shubham2207
Metallurgy Master (Excadrill)

Nature: Naughty
Fennekin's final type can be fire/dark as the fennec foxes r Nocturnal...
Old January 12th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Nah I don't see why they'd repeat the name of Serperior in the generation after it. If anything Serperior almost guarantees that Chespin won't be called Chesperior. XD;
Rhyperior was in Generation 4.
Serperior was in Generation 5.

Chesperior...as awful as it sounds...is still possible in Gen 6...just as the possibility of Fennekin being Fire/Fighting. Just pray that neither happen.
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:25 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
I love ALL 3 of them. The frog took a whole day to grow on me. And Chespin gave be the worst first impression, but now I do love them all!

Now, Frokie better have a manly Mustache when he evolves. Some of my love is based on the FanArt Evolutions!
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Blue Emerald
One of life's great mysteries

Nature: Naive
I like all three starters; I think each one's got its own unique personality to it.

If I had to choose one, I think I'm leaning toward starting with Chespin. He looks like he'd be a good traveling buddy.
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Here's an interesting image I found on Tumblr regarding Fennekin:

Spoiler:

It's tough being the new kid.
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:07 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Here's an interesting image I found on Tumblr regarding Fennekin:

Spoiler:

It's tough being the new kid.
Lol. I love that picture. I'm with Blaziken (who happened to just be my first starter...), Fennekin better not be Fire/Fighting!
Also It'll be interesting if Fennekin's evolution does turn into Fire/Psychic as it'll mean the only none Fire/Fighting Starters (not counting the pure Typlosion) are strong against Fighting (Charzard with Flying and Fennekin's evo with Psychic...). It'll also make Fennekin the strongest out of the six!
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Piplup - Hacker
Scripter

Chespin's evolutions look pretty cool, although I'm not sure if the ones I seen were legit.
So far my favorite is Fennekin. It's so cute :3

Coming soon...
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:06 PM
zabimaru1000
Unhatched Egg

Fingers crossed for Chespin evolving into a Grass/Ghost or Grass/Dark type. This is the first time I didn't like the Water type, and the second time I liked the grass type.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here