Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page Starter Pokémon

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 14th, 2013 (12:54 PM).
Superfox

Quote originally posted by Flydro:
Fennekin isn't really all that. If you wanna talk about recycled then Fennekin def qualifies the most. Yet another fox pokemon after we already have Eevee (who evolves into 837456858474 different foxes), Zorua and VULPIX. Design wise there's just nothing that special about it for me, it just looks like a fire type Zorua imo. I think a lot of people are hyped up over Fennekin just because it's cute or whatever but I hope it becomes something much different from the other foxes so I have a reason to want to choose it. Personally I usually favor the fire starter but this time around it's my last choice. Despite what most people seem to feel about it, I still think Froakie looks the coolest.
Its still not completely known what exactly Eevee is based on. It could be a fox, cat, dog, whatever. However, there is a theory (one that I prescribe to) that Eevee is based on a Tanuki, which is a mythical version of the Japanese raccoon dog and is able to transform into many different shapes. So, Eevee is not entirely based on foxes.

Likewise, Vulpix and Zorua are based on Kitsune, which are fox demons from Japanese folklore, while Fennekin (so far) looks to be based on just a regular fennec fox.
Old January 14th, 2013 (12:57 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Speaking of Eevee, it came across to me as a pet-type, though I was thinking of a sort of cat.

As for the above-mentioned Tanuki, here's one:

Spoiler:

Don't see the resemblance so much.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old January 14th, 2013 (02:02 PM). Edited January 14th, 2013 by tente2.
tente2
"Outta my way, dammit!"

Nature: Bashful
Quote originally posted by Flydro:
Fennekin isn't really all that. If you wanna talk about recycled then Fennekin def qualifies the most. Yet another fox pokemon after we already have Eevee (who evolves into 837456858474 different foxes), Zorua and VULPIX. Design wise there's just nothing that special about it for me, it just looks like a fire type Zorua imo. I think a lot of people are hyped up over Fennekin just because it's cute or whatever but I hope it becomes something much different from the other foxes so I have a reason to want to choose it. Personally I usually favor the fire starter but this time around it's my last choice. Despite what most people seem to feel about it, I still think Froakie looks the coolest.

I thought Torchic's design was very well done though, it was simple but left a lot of room for it to develop cooler features as it evolved. Now look at Blaziken.

Worst starters for me were Gen 5. I didn't think it was possible but I dislike all three starters. All of their evolutions were really crappy stat wise, and I hated the designs. Why didn't Serperior lose it's useless little hands when it lost it's feet to become a snake? Why does Emboar look so overdesigned with gold swirls around it's body? And WHY is Samurott a quadruped when it evolves from a bipedal otter that is supposed to be a samurai? None of it makes sense to me, which is why I can't see myself playing the Gen 5 games anytime soon or at all. Hopefully they make up for it this time.
Eh, it's all really opinion. I don't see any of the starters to be "recycled", but depending on somebody's viewpoint, they all could be.

Likewise, in terms of my own personal tastes the first generation had the worst starters by far (and the worst Pokemon in general, period), but that's just me! And Samurott makes a great samurai, as far as I'm concerned. But you could've imagined something different for a samurai! I admit that no particular starter line from generation five wooed me in particular—I like Serperior and Oshawott, but none of the other Pokemon in their evolution lines appeal to me—but I consider generation five to have the best Pokemon overall. I know some people disagree. Every person is different.

(I'm glad you agree that Torchic is awesome!)

(Oh, and I didn't even know Serperior had arms. That's actually... pretty creepy.)

Quote originally posted by Superfox:
I actually already knew that. However, in the Pokémon world, "dragons" aren't always what become Dragon types. For example, Gible's and its evolutions are mostly based on land sharks. That doesn't necessarily scream Dragon to me. Inversely, Gyarados, which is clearly based on Dragons is NOT a Dragon type. So, you see, not every typing makes absolute sense. I'm not saying Froakie would definitely be Water/Dragon, simply that I would accept it if Pokémon made an amphibian-based Pokémon into a Dragon type because Amphibians do share enough similarities with reptiles (I mean in their appearance. I do know the differences biologically) that it'd be justifiable.
...I'm a little confused. I don't really understand what you mean at all.

So, you were trying to justify Froakie becoming a Dragon type by comparing it to other Pokemon, and my interpretation was that you were stating that Trapinch and Horsea seemingly "randomly" evolve into Dragon types. Which might not have been your intention, but based on how you phrased the sentence that's what I assumed.

So, I thought maybe you didn't know so I wanted to clear stuff up, and I explained the reasons behind the Dragon typings of certain Pokemon.

And um, you'll have to forgive me but I don't really understand what you're trying to communicate with this post... I guess I sort of got lost in the conversation!

In any case, I think Froakie becoming a Dragon type would be cool, although a tad unlikely. But I like the idea!
Old January 14th, 2013 (03:03 PM).
piefara
human

fennnekin is fennekin awsome but so is chespin probably choosing fennekin first but chespin in the next gen 6 game x2 and y2 or more likely z! (i hope Z)
Old January 14th, 2013 (03:48 PM).
Victini

I've come to be pretty disappointed about the starter types for the time being...

I was really hoping with the second display of moves by the starters that they showed on the trailer that they'd begin dual-typed.
Sadly, they are just pure Water, Grass, and Fire like usual. OTL;

Aaaa, I'm sad. T^T;
Old January 14th, 2013 (03:51 PM).
masaru3
Chespin, I choose you!

Nature: Timid
Look here, loads of fannarts about the new games:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/01/14-1/primeiras-fanarts-dos-jogos-pokmon-x-e-y

Many include the starter pokémon. Awesome stuff in there. Too many fennekins though xD
Black 2:
5244 5521 1042
◄ Masaru's Dream World Shop ►
Old January 14th, 2013 (04:14 PM).
Zenfyre

Nature: Lax
All three of them are looking good, but something about Chespin's design I like more than the others. Hope they all get nice looking evolutions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3DS Friend Code: 0516-8351-9948
Old January 14th, 2013 (05:21 PM).
Forever
let it go

Quote originally posted by Miss Doronjo:
Well, I read on serebii that Nintendo has confirmed that the types of Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie will be pure Grass, Fire and Water respectively, sooo I guess they are going to stick to tradition for the primary starters to be a pure type in that regard.
I'm glad really. Save the best typings til last, start the starters off with the traditional typings, 'tis good to me.
Old January 14th, 2013 (06:02 PM).
Blue
エルフーン
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
And now we just have to wait for the secondary types (if any) to be announced... Fennekin = Fire/Fighting ;;
Old January 14th, 2013 (07:34 PM). Edited January 14th, 2013 by Kanto_Johto.
Kanto_Johto
Never glimpse the truth

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by Suicune™:
And now we just have to wait for the secondary types (if any) to be announced... Fennekin = Fire/Fighting ;;
Spoiler:

Fairly certain this is fake, but if Fennekin's evo turns out anything like this, I could care less if it was Fire/Fighting.

I'm kind of hoping the starter evos all turn out to be pure types. Call me boring, but for some reason I prefer single-typed starters.
Old January 14th, 2013 (09:46 PM).
Superfox

Quote originally posted by Kanto_Johto:
Spoiler:

Fairly certain this is fake, but if Fennekin's evo turns out anything like this, I could care less if it was Fire/Fighting.

I'm kind of hoping the starter evos all turn out to be pure types. Call me boring, but for some reason I prefer single-typed starters.
I'm pretty sure that would have to be fake. I really hope that's not the evolution. Although, there are some qualities I'd like to take from that and put into Fennekin's line. For one, I do want Fennekin to turn bipedal at some point. I'd also like those glove-like features on its paws. They my seem a little indicative of fighting, but I don't think they scream fighting type.
Old January 14th, 2013 (09:50 PM).
Greenbeans
Guardian of Le Foret
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Im choosing the fire starter without a doubt, the other ones dont look stupid but they defenitly are not the best pokemon starters so far

3DS Name: Jericho 3DS Friend Code: 3995 - 6761 - 1080 Old Username: Jerichob10
Old January 14th, 2013 (09:53 PM).
Droidz
¬‿¬
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I'll go with Fennekin because i've always chosen fire types and their designs always look the best imo. Although Froakie almost tied me over but i just really want to use that fire fox thingo !
Old January 14th, 2013 (09:59 PM).
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
Serebii is reporting ALL starters are PURE TYPES!

Fennecin does NOT need Boxing Gloves!
Old January 14th, 2013 (10:00 PM).
Synerjee
The main reason I got stronger was so I’d be able to survive.

Nature: Quiet
I'll definitely choose the Fire Fox Fennekin! I fell in love with it the second I laid my eyes on it. I'll try out Froakie and perhaps Chespin as well. I don't usually use Grass-types in my teams, but I'm going to be open-minded this time round and try out this new rodent-like Pokemon. Chespin, please surprise me. :)

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old January 15th, 2013 (03:38 AM).
masaru3
Chespin, I choose you!

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by SnowpointQuincy:
Serebii is reporting ALL starters are PURE TYPES!

Fennecin does NOT need Boxing Gloves!
Well, their first stages at least. They did not say specifically that they would be pure types in the last stage. As far as I know, bulbasaur is the only one with two types in his first stage.
I'd like them to be Fire/Psychic (quadruped please), Grass/Dark, Water Fighting. This way, each starter would have an advantage against the other two.
Black 2:
5244 5521 1042
◄ Masaru's Dream World Shop ►
Old January 15th, 2013 (07:50 AM).
mijumaru1
Unhatched Egg

Think chespin's gonna be another Oshawott. Funny looking but adorable when in a certain art style. Froakie's just weird....
Old January 15th, 2013 (11:04 AM).
Jampatino
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Fennekin looks pretty cool, he would be my starter pick for sure
Old January 15th, 2013 (11:33 AM).
jellotime91

Quote originally posted by masaru3:
I'd like them to be Fire/Psychic (quadruped please), Grass/Dark, Water Fighting. This way, each starter would have an advantage against the other two.
This is exactly what I have been hoping for for so long. I really want it to happen this way, because there has never been a quadruped fire starter! And I reeeally hope Chespin's evolution is bipedal!
Old January 15th, 2013 (11:44 AM).
Ravenfreak
Raven rocks! :D

Nature: Brave
Looking at the starters I'm thinking about picking Fennekin, however if Chespin's final form is going to be a Grass/Dark type (there's a rumor going around) then i'm picking Chespin. Froakie just doesn't look that cool to me, it's strange though I usually go for the Water or Grass starter. xP (With the exception of Gen II...)

Challenges completed:
Combined Pokemon Solo Challenge-Using Katie the Venusaur in Blue final Level:70
Defeat the Elite Four + Champion with 1 Pokemon!-Using Katie the Venusaur in Blue Level:74
Combined Pokemon Solo Challenge-Using Swampert in Ruby Level:67
Love Sonic the hedgehog? Come join The Final Zone today!
http://thefinalzone.org/
Old January 15th, 2013 (12:37 PM).
Superfox

Quote originally posted by masaru3:
I'm actually hoping that it doesn't turn out that way. Making Fennekin into a Fire/Psychic quadruped fox would make it a little to similar to Ninetales for my taste. I know Ninetales isn't actually part Psychic, but it has demonstrated psychic abilities. If it were going to be a "subtype trio" of sorts, I'd like it to be Fire/Rock (with an Egyptian Sphinx theme), Grass/Fighting (with a Robin Hood theme), and Water/Flying (with a balloon frog theme)
Old January 15th, 2013 (01:02 PM).
masterquestmq
Enthusiastic Rom Hacker

I consider myself as an emotionless guy most of the time..

But just one look at Fennekin that thing is too adorable not to pick... definitely starting with Fennekin...
Old January 15th, 2013 (02:16 PM).
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
I've voted for Fennekin. I usually pick Water-types for my starters, but Fennekin already looks very attractive. (And hey, I wonder if it will learn Attract by level up! We'll have to wait and see...)
Old January 15th, 2013 (02:25 PM). Edited January 15th, 2013 by CynicalGiant.
CynicalGiant
Unhatched Egg

I always seem to like the least liked starter.

If possible I would really like to get both Froakie and Chespin. Not a big fan of generic fox pokemon.
Old January 15th, 2013 (02:32 PM).
I.T.
The Pokémon Cartel

Nature: Jolly
Since Gen III, all my starters have been the water type. I'm not planning to change that anytime soon. Mudkip > Squirtle > Oshawott > Piplup > Totodile > Froakie
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links