Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Hikamaru
I have not had my teeth whitened!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
I too hope it'll be a mix attacker. Fennekin looks like it'll be a special attacker unlike Tepig which looked more physical to me upon it's reveal. Now Chespin may be defensive...or maybe a mighty glacier of sorts? In other words it has High Attack and Defenses but horrible speed.
Going by the examples on how TV Tropes describes a Pokemon's battling style, I can pretty much sense Chespin being the Mighty Glacier of the group, having a bit of defensive focus and maybe be a physical attacker who's also the slowest of the three. Fennekin I definitely see as the Glass Cannon special attacker with lower defenses than the other two, and Froakie will probably be the speedy one but focus on mixed attacking aka a Fragile Speedster. It's about time we had the Water-type be the fastest starter since the previous generations' quickest starter always seemed to be Fire or Grass-type.
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:30 PM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
chespin looks very ordinary.. i have noticed that game freak got really second rate with the pokemon they come up with. always a hit and miss and that makes me sad. and this is why i only use pokemon from gen I - III, with the odd sinnoh pokemon.
Old May 30th, 2013, 02:41 AM
gSpartan150
Intermediate Johto Trainer

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
If you were checking out the Pokémon Direct announcement, Pokémon X and Pokémon Y have been announced, and while details on a new region are scant, we have the new region's starter Pokémon!

Definetly Froakie. I just love frogs!
--gSpartan150

Currently Playing:
Pokemon: Sapphire: I'm on Victory Road! Yay!
Friend: Codes:
Pokemon: White: 4384-6966-1020
Old May 30th, 2013, 10:12 AM
PichuRules4ever
The TF2 Pyro

Nature: Jolly
I'm definitely choosing Fennekin. I (almost) always choose the fire type starter. It looks awesome and it's a fire fox! I'm going to nickname it Mozilla! lol
PichuRules4ever
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:21 PM
The_Consumer

I still think Chespin looks glorious.

Observe:

Old May 31st, 2013, 01:59 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I love Chespin primarily because it is the first mammalian grass type that's a starter (if I'm correct?). n___n; Looks like it can pack quite a punch too, so I definitely wouldn't mind if it's final evo was Grass/Fighting by any chance, but the colouring on it's body suggest Grass/Ground...
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:27 AM
Hikamaru
I have not had my teeth whitened!
Community Supporter

I like Chespin, he's the first non-reptilian Grass starter which is something I really wanted to happen for generations and now it's a reality. It's now my new fave Grass starter, mainly because his design heavily resembles that of my beloved Oshawott. I see some good potential in this little chestnut thing, he might become really badass in his evolved forms, and like what Derk said this thing looks like it can be a tough fighter too.
Old June 5th, 2013, 08:36 AM
~cleaskulty~
It's contagious

Send a message via Skype™ to ~cleaskulty~
I really like Chespin, but Fennekin is adorable, too... so I'm going to go with one of those two. I'll probably decide when I see their evolutions.
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Mukkamoto
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Froakie..... rarely choose a water type and this frog seems to be quite the laugh so why not? hah
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Fennekin. It looks like Vulpix, but drawn in the more recent Gens' style. Plus it has 3 stages so'll probably end up a bit tougher than Ninetales.

But more importantly, they surely can't turn it into a Fire / Fighting pokémon, right? Foxes aren't that sort of a creature (Although they are horrendously violent). Fire / Dark, maybe, but not fighting thankfully.
Old June 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amore View Post
Fennekin. It looks like Vulpix, but drawn in the more recent Gens' style. Plus it has 3 stages so'll probably end up a bit tougher than Ninetales.

But more importantly, they surely can't turn it into a Fire / Fighting pokémon, right? Foxes aren't that sort of a creature (Although they are horrendously violent). Fire / Dark, maybe, but not fighting thankfully.
Just cause she's based on a fox doesn't mean she won't be Fire/Fighting. Gamefreak can BS any reason into making it as they want. We have 4 quadrupedal fighting types now as well so even if she were to remain on all fours there is still the possibility of a repeat.

Based on looks of the base form, She could end up pure fire, but some Pokemon have drastic changes so its nearly impossible to claim what the evolution's type will be by the first form alone.

Also...Even with possibility of better stats, if done wrong, or if given bad moves (Going the Flareon Route) she probably won't be used more than Ninetales and will be pushed a side as a "rip off". Froakie has this possibility as well what with 2 Water Frog lines existing previously. Fighting or Ground give it a possibility of being considered a rip off of either Poli's or Seismitoad's lines.

Fennekin may not leave NU as the Non-Fire/Fighting Starters seem to be cursed with mediocrity compared to the three most complained about Starters (typing).

Chespin has the most potential out of the three. Increases ever so much if he is Grass/Rock which I'm pretty much hoping for. Still won't win over my Starter Pokemon position as that will always be Froakie for my initial play through. Chespin is a definite choice for second play through.
Old June 6th, 2013, 03:39 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
For all we know they could give fighting to all three of the starters final evolutions. I'm hoping Fennekin is as fast as either Infernape or Blaziken as Emboar was too slow for my liking.
Stand for Life
Old June 11th, 2013, 04:13 AM
bashau
Distinct Phantom

Nature: Docile
Most probably Fennekin however there is slight chance that I'll choose Chespin
(but either way this only second time when i have liked all three starters)
Old June 16th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Melua
Unhatched Egg

I fell in love with Chespin the moment I saw him. I like my Pokémon to look sturdy. I do like Fighting types so I'm hoping for a double Fighting/Grass type. That would really knock out those Psychic types. The frog doesn't look strong at all (by the way shouldn't it be a grass type?!).
Fennekin looks a bit like a high-maintenance girl, not really my type of Pokémon. :p
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:19 AM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
I can't Decide! Look at these adorable Animations! I want ALL 3!
Spoiler:

Aren't these just the best!

I like froakie, but clauncher is very exciting. Chespin is cool, but so is gogoat. I like Fennekin more than the other fire types shown, but I expect most people to choose Fennekin.

Who would be the least picked?
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:36 AM
diab_low
#SmashingTheMaroons

Fennekin looks badass man enough said close the door no comment.

Actually wait I'm a fire fan but please note no bias was included just look at it its gawjous!
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:18 AM
iRyahn

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowpointQuincy View Post
I can't Decide! Look at these adorable Animations! I want ALL 3!
Spoiler:

Aren't these just the best!

I like froakie, but clauncher is very exciting. Chespin is cool, but so is gogoat. I like Fennekin more than the other fire types shown, but I expect most people to choose Fennekin.

Who would be the least picked?
Honestly I thought Fennekin is the worst starter and didn't really understand why everybody was going crazy over it. But that animation makes it understandable I hope GF pushes it's evolutions to be 'proper' but edgy at the same time, like in the animation. If that makes sense.
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:16 AM
mediocrity

If true, a final evolution of Fennekin combining both fire and psychic would be pretty amazing. However, I am really intrigued by Chespin ending in a grass/dark combo. I wish we could see the final evolutions already!
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Espeon20

Nature: Bold
I hope Froakie will end up water/poison, seeing as frogs IRL that are that color are poisonous. I don't think there's been a starter that's been part poison (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and I think poison is underrated. Personally, Fennekin is my favorite. I love fire types and she reminds me of Vulpix and Ninetales, who are two of my favorite Pokemon. I don't have a 3DS, but if I get X or Y, I'll definitely be choosing Fennekin.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:18 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeon20 View Post
I don't think there's been a starter that's been part poison
The first starter, Bulbasaur. Grass poison. ALL grass pokemon were grass/poison. Except Tangela.
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Hoenn
Elite
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
These starters are becoming increasingly harder to choose from! Definitely the best set since Generation III with Treecko, Torchic & Mudkip.
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Austin1395
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious
I'm choosing Chespin with the hope that evolves into Grass/Dark. I don't understand why everyone is freaking out over Fennekin. It isn't the first Fire Fox Pokemon...remember Vulpix? I hated all the starters at first but, they've grown on me. I like them all. But, Dark type is my favorite, so I'm hoping that's what we get from Chespin.
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

More like a lot of people are flipping out over Fennekin becoming the next Fire/Fighting type. Given that in Gens III, IV, and V, that this was the case, it wouldn't be to totally surprising if the trend continued. However, I'm pretty indifferent on the matter. As long as Fennekin doesn't suck stat-wise, I'm okay with it, regardless of whether or not it's Fire/Fighting.
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:20 PM
MarinoKadame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1395 View Post
I'm choosing Chespin with the hope that evolves into Grass/Dark. I don't understand why everyone is freaking out over Fennekin. It isn't the first Fire Fox Pokemon...remember Vulpix? I hated all the starters at first but, they've grown on me. I like them all. But, Dark type is my favorite, so I'm hoping that's what we get from Chespin.
But it's the first Fennec fox we get.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

The problem with Charizard and Typhlosion is that they are not Fighting Type. If they were, ALL 5 Fire Starters would have the EXACT same type. What a wasted opportunity to troll fans.

Consider that the only Non-Fire-Fight Starters are Charizard and Typhlosion, who share IDENTICAL base stats in all stats. This causes Fire Starters to have very little variety.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here