The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 21st, 2013, 10:52 AM
Austin1395
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballin'Blissey View Post
Guys I have a dilemma (well not really I just wanna talk =P)

I'll be having a Pangoro (Fighting/Dark) and Malamar (Psychic/Dark) on my team. I really want to pick Chespin as my starter though - I always wanted to.

If I pick Chespin then I have 2 pokes on my team with 4X weakness to Bug (assuming Chespin's evo is Grass/Dark) and 3 Dark types.
Of course I could always train Honedge and Fletchling to balance that out.
I could also do a monotype run of Dark types as well. But I'd like to avoid that on my first run through a new game.

I could pick Fennekin to handle the bugs for me and have 2 Psychic types and 2 Dark types.
I think this is the most balanced pick of the three.

I could pick Froakie and have 2 Fighting types and 2 Dark Types, but I don't like that weakness to Flying.

Needless to say, Pangoro and Malamar is a great combination to cover the Fight-Dark-Psychic chain.
But anyone training these two like I will will be faced with the same dilemma as me and will have double of at least one type.

Is anybody else planning to train Pangoro and Malamar at the same time like me? If so, does this influence your starter pick?

This is all based on the assumption that the starters evos are Water/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and Grass/Dark of course
This isn't a problem for me since I'm a Dark-type Trainer. I plan on getting Chespin, Pancham, and Inkay as it stands now. Not sure for the rest of my team, we'll see what happens as either more Pokemon are revealed or when I get the game. Either way, I'm going for all Dark types. Maybe one who isn't but sort of looks like they could be Dark type, just to be balanced out.
Old July 21st, 2013, 10:56 AM
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

Quote:

I'll be having a Pangoro (Fighting/Dark) and Malamar (Psychic/Dark) on my team. I really want to pick Chespin as my starter though - I always wanted to.

If I pick Chespin then I have 2 pokes on my team with 4X weakness to Bug (assuming Chespin's evo is Grass/Dark) and 3 Dark types.
I could also do a monotype run of Dark types as well. But I'd like to avoid that on my first run through a new game.

I could pick Fennekin to handle the bugs for me and have 2 Psychic types and 2 Dark types.

I could pick Froakie and have 2 Fighting types and 2 Dark Types, but I don't like that weakness to Flying.

Needless to say, Pangoro and Malamar is a great combination to cover the Fight-Dark-Psychic chain.
But anyone training these two like I will will be faced with the same dilemma as me and will have double of at least one type.

Is anybody else planning to train Pangoro and Malamar at the same time like me? If so, does this influence your starter pick?

This is all based on the assumption that the starters evos are Water/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and Grass/Dark of course
Since it is only for the main story you can pick whatever you want.
You can finish the main story with just one type of Pokemon.You might just need some more training.

White 2:4814-8483-7594
3DS:4871 4138 8216
Friend Safari:Bug with Combee,Illumise and Heracross!
Old July 21st, 2013, 02:10 PM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
Surprisingly the new anime trailer endeared me to Chespin and Froakie a lot more than it did Fennekin.

It was probably because I already expected Fennekin to do something like that....but Chespin and Froakie were unexpected.

It definitely makes things more awkward, Chespin looks great in the anime.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:40 AM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Its either Chespin or Fennekin for me, I just can't find myself starting with a water type. I've always picked a Fire or Grass type starter and rarely a water type starters.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:57 AM
BubbleBeams
Defeating Champions Since 1999

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to BubbleBeams
I have had my eyes on Chespin right from the get-go. I almost always love the grass starters (the last couple of generations I have been more likely to go with the water starters) and I really love rodents so Chespin caught my attention immediately. Hearing that it will become part Dark type when it's fully evolved appeals me to it even more (although I've now become appealed to Fennekin for becoming part Psychic).

I really can't wait to see the final evolutions for the starters. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind before I make my final choice.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Salt-the-Sloth

Nature: Timid
Quote:

I'm choosing Fennekin, while also having Pangoro and Malamar. I never really focus on balancing my team when I play through the story of any Pokemon game, as long as I have Surf and Fly on my team, I just choose whatever >.< Of course, I do try to balance it out, but sometimes it's too hard and I end up having 3 fire-types on my team.

We don't even know their stats yet, needless to say Fennekin's weaknesses and Malamar/Pangoro's strengths and vice versa practically cancel each other out. Even though, I was always choosing Fennekin, but it's nice to get a little extra bonus from choosing it haha.

Then again, Bug Pokemon (apart from the start of the games but they usually don't carry any Bug-moves anyway) aren't exactly common with trainers, so choosing Chespin won't matter THAT much, at least in my opinion.
Old July 29th, 2013, 05:18 AM
AlphaGiratina

Froakie's always been the adorable one to me, so ya, I like him best.
I used to hate Chespin, but he's been growing on me.
Fennekin is just a knockoff of Vulpix. I mean, seriously?
"There ain't enough room in this town for two fire foxes with psychic abilities"

To be quite honest, however, I might just use froakie as an HM slave, grab an Eevee, and use Umbreon when X and Y rolls around. I might. Depends on Froakie's evolution.

The Platinum-Willed pride of the Sinnoh Region
-AlphaGiratina
Old July 29th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Starlight Sprite
Resident Moon Fairy
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Starlight Sprite
Fennekin is my favorite right now. I won't make a final decision until I see the evolutions. If it's going to be another Fire / Fighting type then I'm switching to Chespin. Something tells me it won't given its appearance, but I thought the same of Tepig when it was first revealed as well. I'm under the impression that Fennekin is Fire/Psychic but that's a guess.

Gym Leader Korrina
Old July 29th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Slowking
Live By The Creed

Nature: Adamant
chespin look the most orignal of all three, fennekin is just vulpix remade, and i really don't like froakie because the 'hair' on his nose looks like he has those stupid 'harry potter ' glasses
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:56 AM
MarinoKadame

Just because Fennekin is a fox doesn't make it a Vulpix remake seriously... It's like saying Froakie is a remake of Poliwag... Fennekin is a different type of Fox also it will have two evolution compared to Vulpix who have only one.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Infinite Latios
Champion

Nature: Impish
I like Froakie the best. Chespin... It's supposed to be a grass-type hedgehog Pokemon, right? Don't we already have one of those? And while we also have a fire-type Fox Pokemon, that's not my problem with Fennekin. What I don't like about Fennekin is those oversized eyes and thin body. They make it look ugly. They don't look right.
Old July 29th, 2013, 12:02 PM
YourNobody

Fennekin is the cutest one, I think, plus she's fire.
Old July 29th, 2013, 03:25 PM
The Chrono
Ragin' Cajun

Nature: Docile
I really, REALLY hope that Fennekin turns out to be Fire/Psychic. That world be pretty sick!
Old July 30th, 2013, 09:22 AM
-Ahsan-

I will choose chespin or fennekin

Old July 30th, 2013, 11:00 AM
BlueEspeon
Banned

Nature: Docile
Yeeeaaaah...
I've always made it my tradition to pick the grass type.
I was really disappointed of the starters but now I'm starting to like them!

Chespin: I think it has great potential! It would be awesome if it becomes a Grass-Dark sweeper
Froakie: My least favorite of the Gen 6 starters (As of now) I don't think he looks bad, though
Fennekin: It looks cool! I will be angry if the make it another Fire-Fighting

I'm definitely choosing Chespin because choosing the grass starters is my tradition
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:18 AM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
Fennekin learns GLOW PUNCH.

Confirmed Fire/Fight Type!!!!

Joking!
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:51 PM
chrisdawg14

Knowing pretty much nothing about these pokemon as of now i think (and i cant believe i am saying this) I like Chespin the grass pokemon the best pretty much because of looks. I will not be choosing it though because i can never really do well using grass types. I will most likely be using my favorite type pokemon, Fennekin because it reminds me a little bit of Ninetails and Vulpix, which i really liked and also because it is the second most visually appealing. Sorry Froakie, but if your evolution stages look better than your first stage, i might actaully start to like you. And as i am about to post this i just read a post a couple posts above this post - i like being posty - and BlueEspeon is right about if they make Fennikin another fire/fight. I will be pissed. too many in this game, just stop nintendo
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:20 PM
ballin'Blissey

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to ballin'Blissey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt-the-Sloth View Post
I'm choosing Fennekin, while also having Pangoro and Malamar. I never really focus on balancing my team when I play through the story of any Pokemon game, as long as I have Surf and Fly on my team, I just choose whatever >.< Of course, I do try to balance it out, but sometimes it's too hard and I end up having 3 fire-types on my team.

We don't even know their stats yet, needless to say Fennekin's weaknesses and Malamar/Pangoro's strengths and vice versa practically cancel each other out. Even though, I was always choosing Fennekin, but it's nice to get a little extra bonus from choosing it haha.

Then again, Bug Pokemon (apart from the start of the games but they usually don't carry any Bug-moves anyway) aren't exactly common with trainers, so choosing Chespin won't matter THAT much, at least in my opinion.
That's what I was thinking with choosing Fennekin. They balance each other out well. Plus throw in Honedge into the mix and you can cover the Bug type weaknesses, and Fighting and flying weaknesses of Pangoro, even better.

With you talking about having 3 fire types on your team, I may just do a Dark monotype run like Austin1395, or a Dark-Ghost dualtype run (if that makes any sense even). It'll be fun that way :D

Sewaddle learned Bug Bite at Lv. 8 which made it OP in the early game (for BW2). Hope it's not so for Scatterbug. Well, since Chespin won't evolve to Dark/Grass most likely till it's final evo, I don't think I have much to worry about. So looking forward to Chespin <3
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:24 PM
Darkrai666
ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryan143 View Post
I now start loving Fennekin. I never thought of a Fire Fox and it's a reality now!
What about Vulpix and Ninetails They're Fire fox's too..

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:43 AM
BluuArrowz

Well Fennekin knows a move call Flare Punch... Shown in the lastest video. So Fire Fighting Again? Sucks to to Suck
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:55 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluuArrowz View Post
Well Fennekin knows a move call Flare Punch... Shown in the lastest video. So Fire Fighting Again? Sucks to to Suck
You mean Glow Punch. But I don't think Fennekin would become part Fighting by having this move alone, there are so many Pokemon that learn loads of attacks not even of their own types. I'm pretty sure Game Freak won't make Fennekin into a Fire/Fighting starter upon evolving, and I did read somewhere its name seems to be a play on Fennec fox, but also kindle and kinesis which would explain why the rumor about its evolution being Fire/Psychic is being heavily hinted.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

on a leave of absence

Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:59 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluuArrowz View Post
Feraligatr can learn Ice Punch so it must be Water/Ice type!... not. Though I hope to God Fennekin doesn't evolve into fire/fighting and it looks extremely unlikely at this point.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:18 PM
Dark Sneasel
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I'm definitely going to go with Chespin. It looks cute and I think it will evolve into Grass/Ground for obvious reasons. I also think it will learn a lot of moves having to do with claws (like Weavile and Zangoose) When I get the game (if I have enough money to) he will
be my choice and would go awesome with my perfectly planned team
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:21 PM
XSky RiderX
'That Guy'

It's a hard decision for me right now. I know for a fact that I won't pick Fennekin, since I plan on sticking with other fire-types. It's overrated.

I'm completely stuck between choosing Froakie or Chespin.

Chespin is such a happy-go-lucky Pokemon! You just have to have it with you! Its potential evolution line will look sick, I just know it. I'm imagining an Excadrill-like stature with spikes along its back.

Froakie is just cool in general. I've always liked frogs, and I have a feeling it will end up different than the other frog/toad Pokemon we have. The way it's presented gives off that mysterious, ninja vibe.

I guess my final decision will overall be based off of their evolutionary designs / stats / movepool, since I won't care what their future typing will be. Or if there will be a new Pokemon with a similar typing as one of them, then I'll go with the other.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 12:38 AM
pokemontouroku

I will choose chespin XD Very cute!!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here