The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.93%
Fennekin 536 51.49%
Froakie 295 28.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:19 AM
Andrew
멘붕

Nature: Relaxed
I'm definitely going to choose Fennekin. I haven't used the Fire starter since Torchic and I'm not going to miss out on the chance to be one of those punny people who name it "Firefox" I sincerely hope that it turns out to be Fire/Psychic or even Fire/Fairy.

Both the other starters look great too! Chespin seems like it doesn't have a care in the world and Froakie has a nice design. I can't wait to see what the evolved forms look like and what their final evolution will have as a type.

Pokémon Y:
FC: 2165-6285-6760
Name: Sapphire
Safari: Dark (Pawniard, Cacturne, Sableye)
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:37 AM
Quetzal

Nature: Calm
It'll be either Fennekin or Froakie for me, depending on their evolutions.

Also, don't forget we've already had two fire foxes everyone. Vulpix, Ninetales. Nice to have a fennec fox though.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:59 AM
iRyahn

Nature: Adamant
Originally thought Chespin without a doubt, but now I am starting to lean towards Froakie. It really depends on their evolution though. If Froakie turns out to be a Ninja frog like many fan art and speculation has predicted, then I will pick him easily.

Really don't understand why so many people like Fennekin though. Not trying to bash anybody, but I don't see the appeal there

My Friend Safari contains: Dunsparce, Audino, and Imposter Ditto.
Old August 5th, 2013, 02:29 AM
Peitharchia
// and finite incantatem

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Peitharchia
When I get my hands on either Pokémon X or Pokémon Y, I would choose Fennekin as my starter. I usually go with whatever's popular. If I ever restart the game, then I would definitely choose Chespin. It's, in my opinion, the cutest starter Pokémon they've made so far. It's even cuter than Bulbasaur, who used to be my favorite grass-type Pokémon of all time. xD

Last edited by Peitharchia; August 5th, 2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old August 5th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Zero°
Mirai Nikki

Send a message via Skype™ to Zero°
I honestly don't ever pick Grass starters because the grass type is pretty useless in-game but I'll probably go with Chespin this time since it's the cutest out of the 3 in my opinion.

Gym Leader Blue
DeathAnkou @Pokemonshowdown
Old August 5th, 2013, 12:08 PM
OfficialKatsunori
x?q]r♂Pk

Nature: Lonely
I have a habit of picking rodent starters (Pikachu in Yellow, Oshawott in BW, etc.), so I'm definitely going with Chespin. :3
Old August 5th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Water Gym Leader
Arlyn Aquos

Send a message via Skype™ to Water Gym Leader
I need my water starter in X and restart and trade with Y for the other guys and then play with Froakie again.

3DS FC: 0903-4056-8403
3DS XL FC: 0404-6887-6558
~~DIVING DEEP~~ (A Water Pokemon Fan Club)
Old August 5th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Kevin121

That frog is messed up. The grass type looks like a brown oshawott with a hat and the fire type is the only one somewhat acceptable
Old August 6th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Blue_Mystic_Ranger
Master of Time and Space

Nature: Quiet
I initially preferred Fennekin, but Froakie has really grown on me. It could all change again when the full evolutions, stats, and movesets are released, but for now, I'm set on choosing Froakie. I like Water types more than Fire types anyway.
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:19 PM
*Icecold*
Bow down to Queen Meowstic

Nature: Hasty
Fennekin gets too much attention, plain and simple. It's so... feeble! Like it can't even stand up! I can tell we're going to get another "good at attacking, bad at defending but super duper fast" Fire type again. Why not another Emboar!? I'm one of the few who enjoyed a gigantic wrestling wild boar who would toast you then smash you to pieces if you mentioned "bacon".

I really love Chespin. If it's a Grass/Rock type, it's automatically mine! However, Froakie really appeals to me too. But seriously, another Water type frog? C'mon Game Freak! You were doing okay with a Water/Ground frog but... seriously? Just because it's a starter doesn't mean you're off the hook!

Anyways, Snivy was a total disappointment. I hate it with a passion, and don it the worst starter, ever. Chespin shall restore the honor to the Grass type's name!

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Magmaruby and Aquasapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialKatsunori View Post
I have a habit of picking rodent starters (Pikachu in Yellow, Oshawott in BW, etc.), so I'm definitely going with Chespin. :3
Oshawott's not a rodent...it's an otter.

I'm still going with Fennekin even if we'll getting Torchic early (I'll just have both on my team :3).
Old August 9th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Hikamaru
→ make a wish

Nature: Quirky
With only one more CoroCoro issue to go before game release, I am hoping they reveal the starter evolutions with this one so everyone will know if their fave 6th Gen starter certainly lived up to their expectations. I remember back when starter evolutions in 5th Gen were revealed, those who loved Tepig got screwed over the most, and changed their choice to Oshawott or Snivy, mainly due to poor Tepig evolving into another Fire/Fighting starter, which they got sick of at that point. And I do remember most starter evolutions never came out until game release, especially the final stages.

I'm hoping that 6th Gen's starter evolutions don't turn out to be a disappointment, because the thoughts are endless on what they may look like when they evolve. With all the fanart I saw floating around, there are lots of possibilities we may see.

But the one I'm hoping turns out great is Froakie's. I seriously want to see how awesome the froggy looks when he evolves because he's the one I'll be using on my first playthrough out of my respect for Water starters.
And not forget where you’ve come from

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old August 9th, 2013, 08:36 PM

If Fennekin ends up being another Fire/Fighting type than I hope it's more of a special version of Infernape. I don't want it to be Emboar who as of right now is the worst Fire/Fighting in terms of competitive play.
Old August 9th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Hikamaru
→ make a wish

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
If Fennekin ends up being another Fire/Fighting type than I hope it's more of a special version of Infernape. I don't want it to be Emboar who as of right now is the worst Fire/Fighting in terms of competitive play.
I do know Infernape's stats leaned towards mixed attacker, as opposed to Blaziken and Emboar being primarily physical attackers. I don't we've had a primarily special Fire/Fighting-type yet and Fennekin's stats would likely lean to that side, although the trailer in which Glow Punch was shown did make a few fans rage, but it could lead to Fennekin's evolution being biped. I could see it possibly resembling Renamon from the Digimon series.
And not forget where you’ve come from

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old August 9th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Khrysta

With Torchic being available for free during the release...is there really any point in getting Fennekin?

Seriously...It almost looked like Gamefreak is going: 'Here, since we always disappoint you with the Fire Starters, and since this one has a chance to be a Fighting type, we'll give you the best Fire/Fighting type ever made so you don't have to choose the new one that you'll absolutely hate.'

Just how I'm reading this XD

Now I can start with a Fire and Water starter~...Need to try and see if we have early trades or if we have to wait for first Gym cause I still want to try and get Chespin too. >.<
Old August 9th, 2013, 09:20 PM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
With Torchic being available for free during the release...is there really any point in getting Fennekin?

Seriously...It almost looked like Gamefreak is going: 'Here, since we always disappoint you with the Fire Starters, and since this one has a chance to be a Fighting type, we'll give you the best Fire/Fighting type ever made so you don't have to choose the new one that you'll absolutely hate.'

Now I can start with a Fire and Water starter~...Need to try and see if we have early trades or if we have to wait for first Gym cause I still want to try and get Chespin too. >.<
I'll trade you my chespin if you find me a shiny Swirlix :p

Retrodex Sprites
|D&D Forum|??? (coming soon)
Old August 9th, 2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post

Not just the best but the ORIGINAL Fire/Fighting starter :3.

Now if Fennekin is Fire/Psychic it'll have it's own perks and disadvantages and not just be another Blaziken clone.
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:50 AM
*Icecold*

NO. STAWP. No competitive battling talk.

I likes Emboar, more than Infernape since Infernape is unoriginal.

At least Emboar isn't the usual "fast, bad with defenses, powerful" we keep getting reused over and over again.

If Fennekin becomes Fire/Fighting, I'll laugh so hard.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Icecold* View Post
NO. STAWP. No competitive battling talk.

I likes Emboar, more than Infernape since Infernape is unoriginal.

At least Emboar isn't the usual "fast, bad with defenses, powerful" we keep getting reused over and over again.

If Fennekin becomes Fire/Fighting, I'll laugh so hard.
Sadly Emboar is a "slow, bad with defenses, powerful" kind...it has trouble surviving to land a hit...and has worse defenses than Infernape...

On topic: I hope that Fennekin has the highest defenses out of all fire starters as they'll all pretty frail...
Old August 10th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Calem
Water Pokemon Master

Nature: Bold
Well, ill pick Froakie :D

Old August 10th, 2013, 02:27 PM
XSky RiderX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Sadly Emboar is a "slow, bad with defenses, powerful" kind...it has trouble surviving to land a hit...and has worse defenses than Infernape...

On topic: I hope that Fennekin has the highest defenses out of all fire starters as they'll all pretty frail...
Judging from the screenshots I've seen around with them leaking the starters' HP stat at X level, it seems as if Chespin is the bulkiest of the three from what I've calc'd in a quick program I made to find base stats. Its defenses are still hidden, so there's that mystery. (Edit: misread your post xD thought you said out of the three starters instead of fire starters)

Also, having access to a Speed Boost Torchic from the very day the game launches pretty much makes most of the Fennekin users think twice. No worries for me, since I'm sticking with either Froakie or Chespin. :]

Last edited by XSky RiderX; August 10th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old August 10th, 2013, 02:57 PM
ErikaInRainbowCity
Everyday I'm Tumblin'

Fennekin is like, super adorable! Must pick :D

Too bad I don't have a 3DS *dies* I spent my money (what little amount I had) on a cheap, used Nintendo DS Lite to replace my old one before I knew X & Y were coming out ;_; Does anyone know if they have a 3DS emulator?

PhotoSYNTHESIS
Old August 10th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Riv

Chespin and Froakie both look like they will have fighting with them.
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Personofsecrets

froakie is going to be such a boss
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:16 PM
*Icecold*

[QUOTE=Magmaruby and Aquasapphire;7778901]Sadly Emboar is a "slow, bad with defenses, powerful" kind...it has trouble surviving to land a hit...and has worse defenses than Infernape...
QUOTE]

...which means no one will stop me from liking it Also proves that Generation 5 isn't as good as everyone thinks it is. ...to me at least.

And I always wonder why people complain about speed when all you really need is a few Speed enhancing elixirs and a Quick Claw.

But I still want meh Chespin D:

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links