The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:21 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
[QUOTE=*Icecold*;7788521]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Sadly Emboar is a "slow, bad with defenses, powerful" kind...it has trouble surviving to land a hit...and has worse defenses than Infernape...
QUOTE]

...which means no one will stop me from liking it Also proves that Generation 5 isn't as good as everyone thinks it is. ...to me at least.

And I always wonder why people complain about speed when all you really need is a few Speed enhancing elixirs and a Quick Claw.

But I still want meh Chespin D:
I believe Quick Claw is banned at least in the Smogon competitive system so that's proably why, also Quick Claw is random...

Gen V's starters imo were too flawed...hopefully this generation they'll be more useful in competitive like Hoenn's.
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Superfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Icecold* View Post
Quote:
Sadly Emboar is a "slow, bad with defenses, powerful" kind...it has trouble surviving to land a hit...and has worse defenses than Infernape...
...which means no one will stop me from liking it Also proves that Generation 5 isn't as good as everyone thinks it is. ...to me at least.

And I always wonder why people complain about speed when all you really need is a few Speed enhancing elixirs and a Quick Claw.

But I still want meh Chespin D:
Say what you will about Emboar, but, imo, Samurott and Serperior were both awesome-looking (Emboar sadly disappointed a bit in the design category). And Samurott has some very good stats, obviously the best battler of the bunch, given that its stats are well-rounded and not all invested in one area, so that it isn't vulnerable on other fronts. I freakin' love my Samurott in my Pokémon Black team. Its a beast.
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Fennekin has the moves Psybeam, Flame Charge, Fire Spin and Tail Whip.
I would have let Psychic Slide since almost everything and its momma can learn it, but 2 Psychic attacks and the second being a more confined Psybeam pretty much kills the chance for anything but Fire/Psychic.

Which ruins Fennekin's chance from ever being put onto my team.

On an odder note:

Quote:
Froakie has Water Pulse, Quick Attack, Lick and Round
Now Froakie can use Ghost attacks too? I know Lick isn't that exclusive, but Froakie's move pool seems to be fairly expansive so far. Much more than Fennekin has been showing. Froakie being Water/Ghost would be interesting since its the only defining type I've seen on him.
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Eh, I personally don't really see this as a bad thing for Fennekin, but that's just me? I mean, now that I look at it differently, I see Fire/Psychic as kind of a new opportunity for it, even if it is Pursuit weak, blahblahblah, the whole nine yards. I don't think it'll be that bad, in all honesty.

Now Froakie being Water/Ghost would be something I'd like to see. n_n But honestly, I'm still stuck on whether Chespin would be Grass/Rock or not, there's hardly anything to hint to its type, right? D:
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Squirtl

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Eh, I personally don't really see this as a bad thing for Fennekin, but that's just me? I mean, now that I look at it differently, I see Fire/Psychic as kind of a new opportunity for it, even if it is Pursuit weak, blahblahblah, the whole nine yards. I don't think it'll be that bad, in all honesty.

Now Froakie being Water/Ghost would be something I'd like to see. n_n But honestly, I'm still stuck on whether Chespin would be Grass/Rock or not, there's hardly anything to hint to its type, right? D:
A water ghost froakie could really make me change from my beloved chespin.
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:07 PM
FlamingRage
Can you feel my rage?

For pretty much all the same reasons as XanderO, I think froakie will be water/flying.
He knows both acrobatics and bounce, and his pokedex states "Froakie is both light and strong, making it capable of jumping incredibly high"

In the anime trailer it shows him inflating the bubbles on his chin. I can see him getting more bubbles and being able to jump really high and inflate them so he can float on air.
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:23 PM
billyjoseph

Im picking Fennekin no matter what. Fire/psychic would top him for me personally. Even if Torchic is available with a megapokemon evo, I have OCD about using past pokemon in new gen games so I will only play 6 gen pokemon in X&Y. But the mega Absol is super tempting. Froakie as water/ghost would be sick too though a levitating frog with cloud/mist around it would be sweet.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM
大輔
Adventurer

Nature: Modest
I usually go for the one that isn't always picked so Chespin for me. If not that maybe Froakie. I hope that the rumor of them having type advantages over each other are true:

Chespin: Grass/Dark
Froakie: Water/Fighting
Fenniken: Fire/Psychic

Credit goes to PaperJoey
BW2 Champions

~CHECK MY MUSIC OUT~
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Squirtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingRage View Post
For pretty much all the same reasons as XanderO, I think froakie will be water/flying.
He knows both acrobatics and bounce, and his pokedex states "Froakie is both light and strong, making it capable of jumping incredibly high"

In the anime trailer it shows him inflating the bubbles on his chin. I can see him getting more bubbles and being able to jump really high and inflate them so he can float on air.
Owch Water/Flying would give him that crippling weakness to electric.
Old August 17th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Superfox

This is what I'm thinking/hoping for:

Fennekin: Fire/Fairy
Froakie: Water/Ghost
Chespin: Grass/Steel
Old August 17th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Community Supporter

I sure hope that Froakie isn't Water/Flying...it'll have a lot of weaknesses, including a 4X one. Water/Ghost and Water/Dark sound better imo.
Old August 17th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Hikamaru
I won't look back
Community Supporter

Quote:
I sure hope that Froakie isn't Water/Flying...it'll have a lot of weaknesses, including a 4X one. Water/Ghost and Water/Dark sound better imo.
Water/Flying actually is weak only to Rock and Electric (the latter being 4x weak) plus not being weak to Grass. Although I don't see Ghost as a possibility even though Froakie learns Lick, that move isn't even common on a lot of Ghosts.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

Old August 17th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Water/Flying actually is weak only to Rock and Electric (the latter being 4x weak) plus not being weak to Grass. Although I don't see Ghost as a possibility even though Froakie learns Lick, that move isn't even common on a lot of Ghosts.
The 4X weaknesses must've made me think it was more than that xD. Well in that case I'm more open to it :3. However the 4x weakness seems like a lot...

You know the flying moves it has such as Acrobatic, and Bounce can back up the claim that it'll evolve into a ninja as they're seen as fast and agile and can jump high (and then there's the fact it's a frog xD)
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Hikamaru
I won't look back
Community Supporter

Quote:
The 4X weaknesses must've made me think it was more than that xD. Well in that case I'm more open to it :3. However the 4x weakness seems like a lot...
We've had at least one final evo starter of each of the three starter types to have a 4x weakness. Charizard to Rock-type, Swampert to Grass-type, and Torterra to Ice-type. If that Grass/Dark rumor for Chespin's evolved forms is true, that would add another Grass into the fray, but with 4x Bug weakness.

Old August 17th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
We've had at least one final evo starter of each of the three starter types to have a 4x weakness. Charizard to Rock-type, Swampert to Grass-type, and Torterra to Ice-type. If that Grass/Dark rumor for Chespin's evolved forms is true, that would add another Grass into the fray, but with 4x Bug weakness.
I thought the rumor for the finals were Fire/Psychic, Grass/Fighting, and Water/Dark...however there was that mix up so I might've gotten the mix up here...
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Hikamaru
I won't look back
Community Supporter

Quote:
I thought the rumor for the finals were Fire/Psychic, Grass/Fighting, and Water/Dark...however there was that mix up so I might've gotten the mix up here...
Fennekin looks almost certain to be Fire/Psychic in its evo due to being shown using Psybeam. I know Grass/Dark was rumored for Chespin and Water/Fighting for Froakie. But knowing Game Freak, I wouldn't be surprised if those two ended up pure Grass and pure Water, or even a different type combination altogether.

I remember back in 5th Gen that Tepig got quite a bit of love and then the evos were revealed, spoiling their dreams of using it only because they hated the "Fire/Fighting curse". I don't get why people would rage at a starter being part-Fighting, even if it's not the Fire-type like the last three generations.

Old August 18th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Draqonite
Draco Meteor?

Nature: Relaxed
Umm Chespin with out a doubt.

Grass/Fighting Chesnaught
Fire/Flying Charizard
Fairy Sylveon
Dragon/Poison
Dragalge
Steel/Ghost Aegislash
Ice/Rock Aurorus
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Azure
» We might aswell be lovers on the sun
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I'm more enthusiastic about Fennekin being Fire/Psychic now that it can learn Psybeam. This just confirms it even more for me that I will be choosing it over the other two as my starter!

Old August 18th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
For some reason, I get the feeling that Fennekin's last evo will look similar to Naruto's controlled Ninetales chakra mode, I forget the name of it. And will be Fire/Psy still.

Sense I will probably be using Torchic at the start, I will probably go with Chespin still. I just like him more than the others 2.
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Fernando Torres
Class on grass
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Since I can't judge them on how good they are il just say this. Fennekin because its almost as cute as Mudkip the almighty ruler of me :3 (lol)
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:34 PM
BeefTaco

My starter evos typing predictions are:

Froakie- Water / Flying: The color scheme of white and blue would match well with a Water / Flying type. The bubbles surrounding Froakie resemble clouds which are a good representative of flying type. Finally the bubbles themselves can be representative to flying type since bubbles can float.

Chespin- Grass / Rock: At first glance I would have said Grass / Ground because of the tail but after looking at Chespin's description and how it says it has a hard shell on its head, then it made me think either Rock or Steel.

Fennekin- Fire / Fairy or Psychic: This one could go either way. Both Psychic and Fairy can be used to show some kind of elegance. I prefer Fairy because its a good opportunity to put the type in the spotlight.

*Note that I'm basing my predictions off the starter alone, Im aware that the designs could go in many directions depending on what the developers chose but this is what I think is most likely.

Last edited by BeefTaco; August 18th, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old August 18th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Radiam
You're not even good enough to be my fake.
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I'm choosing Fennekin! I love Fennekin <3

-Radiam
Old August 18th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Right now I'd pick Chespin but we'd have to wait until further details are released.

Old August 18th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
Chespin's the least obnoxious. Froakie's a bulgy-eyed oddball, and Fennekin's a chihuahua that'll probably be a Fairy type.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old August 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Alceste

I have to go with Fennekin. Chespin just looks like a baby to me. May be I'll change my mind when I see their evolutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefTaco View Post
My starter evos typing predictions are:

Froakie- Water / Flying: The color scheme of white and blue would match well with a Water / Flying type. The bubbles surrounding Froakie resemble clouds which are a good representative of flying type. Finally the bubbles themselves can be representative to flying type since bubbles can float.

Chespin- Grass / Rock: At first glance I would have said Grass / Ground because of the tail but after looking at Chespin's description and how it says it has a hard shell on its head, then it made me think either Rock or Steel.

Fennekin- Fire / Fairy or Psychic: This one could go either way. Both Psychic and Fairy can be used to show some kind of elegance. I prefer Fairy because its a good opportunity to put the type in the spotlight.

*Note that I'm basing my predictions off the starter alone, Im aware that the designs could go in many directions depending on what the developers chose but this is what I think is most likely.
Good predictions! I think Fennekin should be a fairy type, sinse it will make it easier to introduce the new type of pokemon. I don't thinkFroakie will be a flying type, since a flying frog dosen't seem good to me. It is pretty hard to judge these pokemon on their first stage, since starters normally don't get a second type until their third evo.

Last edited by Alceste; August 18th, 2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here