Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page Starter Pokémon

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 2nd, 2013 (12:37 AM).

Nature: Calm
Definitely Froakie. I'm hoping he evolves into Water/Fighting. Chespin is okay, too.

"You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive." -The Ninth Doctor

I'm a Catholic Whovian who loves to watch anime and read manga, discovering my faith while still trying to to enjoy the things I love. Feel free to PM me for questions or just to chat!

Black 2 file
Palom
FC: 3483 3007 8236
Feel free to add me to trade and/or battle! Could really use some friends in BW2!

Poetry thread (please check it out!): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310154

My trade thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307887
Old September 2nd, 2013 (12:45 AM).
get to heaven
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Decimosoma:
Favouring Fennekin to the extreme in the hope that'll evolve into a White Spirit Fox as a Psychic/Ghost-type. But that hope will probably slap me in the face.
Well I do admit that's an interesting typing, but Fennekin's line will mostly be part-Fire since each starter retains their Grass, Fire or Water type throughout its evolution line, but some evolutions can give the starter a second type. The fact Fennekin has been confirmed to learn both Psychic and Psybeam has certainly made me know it will probably become part-Psychic when it evolves.

tumblr | twitter | lovely pairs | ask me
adoption center mentor | fairy club | water club

Old September 2nd, 2013 (08:15 AM).
OshaPower!

Nature: Bold
A Fire/Psychic starter, that would be amazing. I'm still sticking with my water pokes though and will get Froakie. I'm sure its evolutions will not disappoint (none of the water finals have in the past). I hope it's Water/Fighting too, and could totally see that being the case given the design. But it's a frog so Water/Poison perhaps could be a less preferable option.

Think Final Evolutions:
Fennekin: Fire/Psyhic
Froakie: Water/Fighting or Water/Poison
Chespin: Grass/???
Old September 2nd, 2013 (08:38 AM).
Tossin' balls since '99

Nature: Impish
The fire/psychic typing will make Fennekin a beast. It also has my favorite design of the three. Chespin is okay as well, however Froakie is pretty awful. Mudkip was the last decent looking water starter, in my opinion that is.

Pokemon Clan Site/Strategy Guide/Other Thingies
Shuckle is love, Shuckle is life.
Old September 2nd, 2013 (10:41 AM).
Free to dream, free to smile

Ghost/Psychic or Fire/Psychic doesn't really matter to me. As long it's going in one of these two type's direction. If it's going to be a Pure Fire-type or Fire/Normal that'll dissapoint me, then it will be no different than Ninetails.
Old September 2nd, 2013 (11:17 AM).

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but it looks to me like the third line on Fennekin's forehead is a closed third eye, further enforcing the fire/psychic typing. Froakie does look like he'll be water/fighting because of the ninja throwing bubbles, so will that leave Chespin as a grass/dark?
If this is the case, then each starter will have a typing advantage and disadvantage against the other two.
Old September 2nd, 2013 (11:17 AM).
Nintendo is for awesome people

Quote originally posted by Decimosoma:
Ghost/Psychic or Fire/Psychic doesn't really matter to me. As long it's going in one of these two type's direction. If it's going to be a Pure Fire-type or Fire/Normal that'll dissapoint me, then it will be no different than Ninetails.
I'd rather have its evolutions be pure Fire than Fire/Fighting.

Credit for this sig goes to Ash`, credit for my avatar goes to The Epic Pikachu from Tumblr
Old September 2nd, 2013 (11:33 AM).

As of now right, I like Froakie the most because he is a Frog and a Water type.

Credit to Wolfprince.
Old September 5th, 2013 (06:24 PM).

Nature: Calm
I think I'm the only person who is thinking froakie might become a water/flying type. I just think his back looks like clouds so it would make sense. I know that leaves him a 4x weakness but the fluffy white back leaves me wondering. They could be bubbles or foam but I don't know. Fennekin being fire/psychic would be cool. I have no idea on chespin. His design is adorable but confusing on possible types.
Old September 6th, 2013 (09:54 PM).

I always go water the first time around for some reason. Sooooo yeah haha
Old September 6th, 2013 (10:47 PM).

I voted for Chespin. I always like water starter pokemon but I dont know why this time I like a grass Pokemon. LoL!

Old September 6th, 2013 (11:47 PM).
Hope will never die! ~Lucina

Nature: Quiet
As long as Chespin doesn't get Grass/Dark and Fennekin Fire/Fighting I'll be happy. Grass/Dark will hinder Chespin greatly in competitive play, giving it a additional weakness to fighting and a 4x weakness to Bug, which id not helpful when U-Turn is so common. I think Fire/Fighting was a great concept with Blaziken, my personal favourite starter evo, but it's gotten old after 3 generations. Don't really mind about Froakie, can't think of any typings I wouldn't be happy with for him.
Old September 7th, 2013 (08:13 AM).
✩ not all heroes wear capes ✩
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to CrazyBunnyCoaster
I'm going to get a Fennikin and name it after the Firefox browser. XD

But though I’m full of anxiety, I’m ok. I won’t be defeated.

contact me outside of PC:

twitter | tumblr
Old September 7th, 2013 (08:18 AM).
★☆let go of everything
ModeratorCS

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by Leaf Storm:
I'm someone who goes after the grass-type starters first. My first impression of Chespin was...not so well. To me it looks like a tanned Dewott in a Snivy costume. I'm still trying to figure out why it has some kind of hat on its head. Or whatever it is. As I am posting this, it is starting to grow on me. It's typical at first, but I'll give it time.

Fennekin is just simply ADORABLE. I like foxes, and Fennekin might just beat out my other favorite fox Pokemon Ninetales & Vulpix. I'm really curious about this Pokemon's later evolutions. I hope it's majestic, and I REALLY hope it doesn't turn out to be a fire-fighting starter, or I will be disappoint.

I'm not a fan of Froakie, so I'll be staying away from that Pokemon. It's a huge disapointment from last generation when we had Oshawott. I hope this Pokemon has a good evolution line, then we'll talk. :P
I posted that in my alt but I want to say that my opinion changed. I'm gonna go for Chespin this time. Even though we *still* haven't found out what their evolutions are, I still want a grass-type starter on my team. Chespin looks so badass and you gotta adore its cuteness it has!

Reason why I decided to change my mind was because well..most peeps are going to name their Fennekin the "Firefox" and I'm one of them, so I think I'll just opt-out. xD

I have this gut feeling Chespin's evos might get grass/fighting but idk. Grass/Dark sounds like a pretty cool combo imo.
Old September 9th, 2013 (12:10 AM). Edited September 9th, 2013 by Blue.

Nature: Relaxed
someone here know japanese?
In this the next smash trailer(http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yIfa2k0fBYQ&feature=g-subs-u) which will have alot of new information, they showing the starters and saying shinka at this time. In the comments it been noted that shinka mean evolution, is this right?
Old September 9th, 2013 (01:58 AM).
coven
Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Well we have CoroCoro leaking just before the airing of Pokémon Smash, so if CoroCoro covers the Starter Evolutions prior to the Smash episode then I'm certain Smash will cover what CoroCoro revealed but in further detail with a couple of gameplay trailers.
Old September 9th, 2013 (06:49 AM).

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but, there is a somewhat pattern going on with the starters. Gen 4 had Empoleon, which quite obviously is designed after Napoleon Bonaparte. Gen 5 came along and we got Serperior, a starter, that shares some similarities with Louis XVI(The Sun King). Both of these have shared similarities with Historical French leaders. This could mean Fennekin follows this trend(Fire is the only starter that hasn't been covered). I'm not too knowledgeable on French Monarchs, so is there any French Queen, that you feel could inspire Fennekin?

Friend safari: Fire type

Charmeleon Flechinder ??? (If you know please tell me)

My youtube(not much here):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3c2c8xExPrjG-mTdbao_Yw
Old September 9th, 2013 (06:53 AM).

Quote originally posted by Sceptile14:
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but, there is a somewhat pattern going on with the starters. Gen 4 had Empoleon, which quite obviously is designed after Napoleon Bonaparte. Gen 5 came along and we got Serperior, a starter, that shares some similarities with Louis XVI(The Sun King). Both of these have shared similarities with Historical French leaders. This could mean Fennekin follows this trend(Fire is the only starter that hasn't been covered). I'm not too knowledgeable on French Monarchs, so is there any French Queen, that you feel could inspire Fennekin?
Marie Antoinette! haha... Let them eat fire.
Old September 9th, 2013 (04:10 PM).

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Seifonor
I'm gonna cheat by saying that I'll take one, and ask the others to make babies of the starters I don't have and trade them these ones

Honestly though I'll take the grass/dark (if it truly is dark in later evolutions) ... I always have a soft spots for dark ones

3DS Friend Code = 2423-2660-2807
Old September 9th, 2013 (10:43 PM).
detius mortus
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Meganium90:
I
I have this gut feeling Chespin's evos might get grass/fighting but idk. Grass/Dark sounds like a pretty cool combo imo.
As long as its an offensive typing that isn't Grass/Dark, I'm okay with it. Grass/Dark just seems...too fragile of a type, I suppose. Grass/Fighting would be better, Grass/Rock would be even better than that. n_n

We're beautiful, aren't we?

Old September 10th, 2013 (09:07 AM).
ModeratorCS

Nature: Naive
I would really like Chespin to be Grass/Dark (like Sceptile should have been imo) and if it is, I would pick it. I usually go with fire starters but Fennekin doesn't appeal to me in the same way that most fire starters do, for some reason. It looks too fragile I guess :3 Froakie might be my favorite out of the unevolved starters in terms of design, but I usually don't pick water starters since there are so many other interesting water pokémon to have on my team. So Chespin, if its evolutions are up to par with expectations ;)

"Alright Gramps! Leave it all to me!"
mod of Roleplay Theatre and Pokémon General
proudly paired with seeker
staff collab july 2015
Old September 10th, 2013 (03:07 PM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers:
I would really like Chespin to be Grass/Dark (like Sceptile should have been imo) and if it is, I would pick it. I usually go with fire starters but Fennekin doesn't appeal to me in the same way that most fire starters do, for some reason. It looks too fragile I guess :3 Froakie might be my favorite out of the unevolved starters in terms of design, but I usually don't pick water starters since there are so many other interesting water pokémon to have on my team. So Chespin, if its evolutions are up to par with expectations
Sceptile came off as more Grass/Dragon to me xD

I'll like Chespin to be Grass/Rock as it's a better combo imo.
Old September 10th, 2013 (05:24 PM).
The Pokémon Cartel

Nature: Jolly
I'm starting with Squirtle.. these starter PKMN are ugly (I sound like a genwunner ).
Old September 11th, 2013 (07:56 AM).
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
After seeing how ugly Chespin's evo is, I think I'll go with Froakie.
Old September 11th, 2013 (08:25 AM).
Madara

Quote originally posted by InMooseWeTrust:
After seeing how ugly Chespin's evo is, I think I'll go with Froakie.
you crazy he looks awesome lol
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)