Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page Starter Pokémon

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 26th, 2013 (06:30 PM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by MarinoKadame:
Braixen is cute not ugly at all.
I love how it's all sassy looking just like it's pre-evolution :3
Old September 26th, 2013 (06:40 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Quote originally posted by MarinoKadame:
Braixen is cute not ugly at all.
No its a matter of opinion. I think its ugly as well. Its a rejected idea for a Magical Girl design that they just slapped into Pokemon as a furry. Not really the best design I've ever seen and definitely the worst Fire starter so far for me and a few others. She'll only be ruined more later down the line.
Old September 26th, 2013 (07:18 PM).
& having to receive it

To me, Fennekin and its evolutions look a little similar to Torchic's evolutionary line. They don't look too bad when you compare them to Tepig's line, though. They're meant to look like foxes, but if they looked even more like a real fox, then I probably would have liked them a little better. d:
Old September 26th, 2013 (07:27 PM).
Silver Tier

Yeah, it would've been nice if they looked more like real foxes...
It reminds me of the Torchic line too, which is why I like it :3. It's third only to Combusken and Quilava on my list of favorite second stage fire starters. Following her are Monferno, Charmelon, and Pignite. Actually in terms of names that's the same order...
Froakie's evolution looks cool. It's tied with Dewott as second best 2nd stage water starter imo. Chespin sadly is my least favorite second stage grass starter of all time... and I usually love grass...
Old September 26th, 2013 (07:28 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Fennekin's evolution line is the one I like the least. This doesn't mean I don't like Fennekin or Braixen tho, they fit very well with the RPG theme. I appreciated that they made the Fire Type the Mage since Fire Spells are usually the beginning attacking spells for mages in RPGs.
Old September 26th, 2013 (07:30 PM).

I didn't wanted another generic fox theme with Nine tails and all tho, since I guess it's what people wanted if Fennekin had a 4 legs line.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old September 26th, 2013 (07:34 PM).

These starters all look pretty cool looking to me. The one I would pick would probably be Fennekin.

✰ Goldfins ✰
Old September 26th, 2013 (07:46 PM).
Silver Tier

I love how Fennekin's evolution is so creative. Much better than another fox based on the nine tails. Actually GF has been quite creative with their fox Pokémon, just look at their eevee tree, and the vulpix, zorua, and fennekin lines to see it.

Also for those saying Fennekin looks like a Magical girl...just look at Sylveon,it's more magical girl looking than Braixen's line proably ever will be. Not that it's necessary a bad thing imo.
Old September 26th, 2013 (07:48 PM).

Quote originally posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire:
I love how Fennekin's evolution is so creative. Much better than another fox based on the nine tails. Actually GF has been quite creative with their fox Pokémon, just look at their eevee tree, and the vulpix, zorua, and fennekin lines to see it.

Also for those saying Fennekin looks like a Magical girl...just look at Sylveon,it's more magical girl looking than Braixen's line proably ever will be. Not that it's necessary a bad thing imo.
Not really. Braxien stands on 2 feet, wields a magical wand, has a puffy dress and stylized magical looking suit.

Sylveon is a four legged animal with bows.

Braxien is way more Magical Girl than Sylveon...and honestly...I've only seen myself actually call it a Magical Girl >>;;
Old September 26th, 2013 (07:58 PM).
Silver Tier

Sylveon's ribbons reminds me of the clothes magical girl's wear and it's association with the moon reminds me of the most famous of magical girl's...sailor moon xD.

Now it standing on two legs don't make it a magical girl...if so Zoroark is a dark magical girl...excuse me I'm going to go see if there's any fan art on this...
Old September 26th, 2013 (08:09 PM).

Sylveon's ribbons reminds me of the clothes magical girl's wear and it's association with the moon reminds me of the most famous of magical girl's...sailor moon xD.

Now it standing on two legs don't make it a magical girl...if so Zoroark is a dark magical girl...excuse me I'm going to go see if there's any fan art on this...
She has the poofy magical dress, magical weapons, everything about her screams Magical girl. She'd fit in with a furry magical girl show easily.

Sylveon just doesn't even compare. All she has is ribbons. That's not even close to being enough.

Braxien looks as if you could throw her into a Magical girl show and she'd fit in based on her design. Zoroark would most likely be one of the monsters that she'd have to fight cause it looks like a generic monster.
Old September 26th, 2013 (08:31 PM).

Guys what's wrong if indeed Braixen is a magical girl? I myself I'm not very fond of them but I know a lot of people that like them, I feel its just a matter of taste. A lot of pokemon are based off of human stereotypes in both reality and fantasy, why not a magical girl?
Old September 26th, 2013 (08:55 PM).
Silver Tier

As I said before there's nothing wrong with it . I like how Braixen looks. However Braixen seems more like a witch...magical girls are usually more colorful...actually Braixen's coloring and looks make me think of Halloween...
I hope Braixen looks even nore witch like when she evolves. Maybe her shiny will be black and red...
Old September 26th, 2013 (09:48 PM).
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
Braixen seems more like a witch...magical girls are usually more colorful...actually Braixen's coloring and looks make me think of Halloween...
I hope Braixen looks even nore witch like when she evolves. Maybe her shiny will be black and red...
Well, it would be so cool if Braixen's final evolution had the added Ghost typing with it. Fire/Ghost is a great combo offensively and a typing never seen from a starter. Sadly it's highly doubtful though, as she's meant to look more like a fox and less like a witch.
Old September 26th, 2013 (10:43 PM).
Silver Tier

I think she'll be Fire/Psychic...which has also yet to be seen on a starter. Also it'll make sense as Foxes are cunning and known for their intelligence...in a way Fennekin's line is like Vulpix and Abra's lines...but in a witch form xD.
Old September 26th, 2013 (10:55 PM).

Nature: Modest
With the option to pick a Kanto Starter on top of the Kalos Starters, I'm really on the fence with what to pick, I love Chespin and Fennekin, but I don't want to be crowded with Fire types, because Charmander is my fave Kanto Starter, but I love the idea of Fennekin :/
Old September 26th, 2013 (11:14 PM).

Are you saying a pokemon can't be both badass and feminine looking >_<?

I found Zoroark to be feminine...but that may be due to the anime's being a female...

I agree, Braixen looks cool. I hope it's wand becomes an elegant staff when it evolves, maybe adorned with rubies or garnets (red for fire).
No lol, just saying I'm used to girly Pokemon being all pink and cute, Jigglypuff, Chansey etc.
Actually, the only reason I am complaining is because I am not very excited about the other two starters. lol

Quote originally posted by MacClune:
With the option to pick a Kanto Starter on top of the Kalos Starters, I'm really on the fence with what to pick, I love Chespin and Fennekin, but I don't want to be crowded with Fire types, because Charmander is my fave Kanto Starter, but I love the idea of Fennekin :/
I completely forgot about this! Bye Kalos starters, hello Charmander! Or Cyndaquil! Doesn't matter woohoo! I'm gonna feel sorry for the Kalos starter though. We'll see
Old September 26th, 2013 (11:57 PM).
GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD

Nature: Bold
Since I'm getting both, koff~

I'll be going with The Fox for Pokemon Y Version, and the Frog for Pokemon X Version. The reasons being that they go well with their colors. Or I could swap them. Either way, those are the two I'll be getting. I'll be taking suggestions on names based on Coffee related items. Purified water and roasted beans, koffi~
Old September 27th, 2013 (02:16 AM).

As I said before there's nothing wrong with it . I like how Braixen looks. However Braixen seems more like a witch...magical girls are usually more colorful...actually Braixen's coloring and looks make me think of Halloween...
Even though I don't like so much feminine pokemons, I will be very happy to see braixen keep being feminine looking in her last stage. Exept Magnium, all the starters have beast-like design, so its about time we will see something different. I hope Fennekin gender rate will be 75% chance female, I find it unfair that all the starters are mostly male.
Old September 27th, 2013 (02:22 AM).
#radreds
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by metalhand:
Even though I don't like so much feminine pokemons, I will be very happy to see braixen keep being feminine looking in her last stage. Exept Magnium, all the starters have beast-like design, so its about time we will see something different. I hope Fennekin gender rate will be 75% chance female, I find it unfair that all the starters are mostly male.
There's a reason why starters have a 87.5% chance of being male, it's to make them hard to breed unless you have like a Ditto with you. It's to show how special they are, because they are your trusted partner throughout your journey. While some have feminine-looking designs, it's not enough to stop this gender ratio tradition. In fact, out of all my main playthroughs only one had me with a female starter, it's to show how rare females are.
Old September 27th, 2013 (04:59 AM).

Quote originally posted by Hikari10:
There's a reason why starters have a 87.5% chance of being male, it's to make them hard to breed unless you have like a Ditto with you. It's to show how special they are, because they are your trusted partner throughout your journey. While some have feminine-looking designs, it's not enough to stop this gender ratio tradition. In fact, out of all my main playthroughs only one had me with a female starter, it's to show how rare females are.
I don't have alot of understanding in breeding, so sorry if I miss the obvious.
But why not giving fennekin a 87.5% chance of being female, than she will stay rare-am I right?
Old September 27th, 2013 (07:11 AM).
Audino~
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
But why not giving fennekin a 87.5% chance of being female, than she will stay rare-am I right?
I'm a bit confused on the breeding bit as well, but I'm guessing it's because if she were female, it would be much easier to produce an egg with a fennekin inside? I need to read more on breeding.

~*~*~*~*~

Old September 27th, 2013 (10:09 AM).
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Hikari10:
I've been lucky to get 2...without resetting! (I have yet to ever reset for a starter btw). Piplup in Plat and Snivy in White...oh and the first Torchic I breed in Emerald was female, and the first Cyndaquil I breed in Ss was also female, oh and a friend of mine traded me an Oshawott egg that was a female too...sometimes I think I'm a little too lucky when it comes to getting female starters, encountering shinies, and getting Pokerus (in the wild, not by infection). So 2/6 games...so I got 1/3 of a chance of getting a female Fennekin :3. Interestingly it's always in the first game I get of the generation since gen 4...Platinum was Piplup, and White was Snivy...of course 2 doesn't make a pattern...I hope I get a female Kanto starter as it's the only region (apart from Kalos oc) which I have yet to have a female starter of...
Old September 27th, 2013 (02:28 PM).

Nature: Bashful

When you breed two compatible Pokemon, the egg will contain the female's species. So, giving Fenekin a 87.5% chance of being female makes her more common then rare.
Old September 27th, 2013 (03:02 PM).
Silver Tier

I think it should be 50/50 for the Kalos starters...besides we got Ditto anyways so it's not like it'll make the species any less rare. Only in RS was it really necessary to get a female starter to have more as Ditto wasn't available in those games (thankfully it was in the rest of the III generation).

Sponsored Links