Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page Starter Pokémon

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 28th, 2013 (12:17 PM).
KoolKat Gold

Honestly, I'd be OK with Fennekin's final evo to be witch-like, but Psychic Type.

I wasn't all that excited when Braixen showed up, but now I'm getting more used to it. Anyway, It'd be cool to see Braixen's stick turn into a broomstick or a staff (like the fake one we saw a few days ago.)

Quilladin is just ugly in my opinion. It's too round. I'd prefer along the lines of a more Porcupine/Hedgehog look (LOL Sonic as a Pokemon....)

Frogadier is a good evolution, but it looks more like a 3rd evo to me. The 2nd evo should be more like a ninja Froakie, without the dark blue.

Also, which starters will be the easy, medium, and hard starters?
(Kanto- E-Bulbasaur M-Squirtle H-Charmander)
(Johto- E-Totodile M-Cyndaquil H-Chikorita)

Honestly, Froakie's probably going to be the easy one this time around, since Frogadier can learn Bounce and defeat Grass-types, and most likely he can learn a Ground-type move, and then boom, the weaknesses are gone. However, against the Gyms... IDK.
Water < Grass (Viola, since most Bug-types know Grass-types moves. Don't forget Bounce, though)
Water > Rock/Ground (Grant, this Gym will be WAY too easy for Water-types if he is Rock/Ground but it might be Fighting, not sure)
Water < Electric (Clemont, but Frogadier may end up knowing aGround-type move)
Water ??? (Korrina)

Fennekin looks like the middle this time around, just based off the Gyms we see right now.
Fire > Bug (Viola)
Fire < Rock/Ground (Grant)
Fire = Electric (Clemont)
Fire ??? (Korrina)
Old September 28th, 2013 (01:37 PM).

Quote originally posted by masaru3:
I love the fox and the grass pokémon. I want them both!
I am getting both games so i can choose both.
Old September 28th, 2013 (07:38 PM).
Fursuiter

Nature: Timid
Froakie it is for me. And contrary to some people's opinions, I don't think it looks ugly at all. The previous water type starter Pokemon were high on the cute factor. But this time around the creators seemed to go with a more mature look for the water type starter. My first impression of the Pokemon was that it was an intellectual or had a grandfatherly-type personality. Or even both. I actually like that Nintendo decided to switch things up a bit and I'm very anxious to see how this Pokemon plays throughout the game. To those who are not inclined to go with Froakie because of its appearance I say this: remember the old adage that you cannot judge a book by its cover. Similarly you cannot judge a Pokemon by its appearance.

1693-4093-6753

"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old September 29th, 2013 (01:24 PM).

Nature: Rash
Quote originally posted by Jay_37040:
To those who are not inclined to go with Froakie because of its appearance I say this: remember the old adage that you cannot judge a book by its cover. Similarly you cannot judge a Pokemon by its appearance.
I can vouch for this when I first played RSE (before I got serious), and I caught a shroomish because I thought it was adorable. When it evolved I thought it was hideous, but it took out Roxanne's stupid ugly Nosepass in one low kick hit (contrary to not judging by looks, I wanted to punch Nosepass in it's ugly orange nose when I couldn't beat it. [Again, this was before I even knew how to play properly {I was terrible}]).

Now I can't care about looks; I'm too busy looking up learned moves and stats to help me decide.
Old September 29th, 2013 (02:25 PM).
Throw a blanket over it!

Nature: Jolly
On the contrary, looks and design origin are all that matter for me, power means nothing!

Anywhozers, I really want Braixen to continue its witch theme, and I'm kind of hoping for a secondary Ghost Type but I know that's not likely. I think Dark, Fairy, or Psychic is more probable. Quilladin, I'm hoping for a defensive tank... with spikes >8D I'm actually hoping for it to be Rock or Pure typed. Frogadier is almost certainly going to become a Fighting Type.
Old September 29th, 2013 (02:49 PM).

I am very much on the fence about this. I really need to see the final evolutions before I can make any kind of decision... Though right now it's either Fennekin or Chespin.

Currently looking for: Charizardite X, Treecko, Mudkip, and Shinx.
Old September 29th, 2013 (09:41 PM).
GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD

Nature: Bold
I've decided to keep with colors, koff~

Froakie for Pokemon X Version and Fennekin for Pokemon Y Version. What's more is that I can upload Pokemon to the Pokemon bank, so we can keep all of our trained Pocket Monsters, koffi~
Old September 29th, 2013 (09:56 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Jay_37040:
Froakie it is for me. And contrary to some people's opinions, I don't think it looks ugly at all. The previous water type starter Pokemon were high on the cute factor. But this time around the creators seemed to go with a more mature look for the water type starter. My first impression of the Pokemon was that it was an intellectual or had a grandfatherly-type personality. Or even both. I actually like that Nintendo decided to switch things up a bit and I'm very anxious to see how this Pokemon plays throughout the game. To those who are not inclined to go with Froakie because of its appearance I say this: remember the old adage that you cannot judge a book by its cover. Similarly you cannot judge a Pokemon by its appearance.
Froakie is my favorite kalos starter for now, and I'm a guy that stats, movepool and etc. means nothing to him(in all my years playing pokemon I barely used any psuedo legendary and alot of times used weak pokemon like masquerain and pinsir just because I like them).

So weither or not Froakie will be strong it doesn't matter to me.
Old October 1st, 2013 (06:13 PM).

Nature: Bashful
I sincerely hope that Frogadier is dark type.
I think Quilladin will be rock or steel and will have to do with a knight.
Old October 2nd, 2013 (07:28 AM).
Ya'll Are Weird
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
Back when this was announced, I liked Froakie, but I think Quilladin is adorable. I'm shallow, so cutest final will probably win out in the end. If none of the finals are at least charming, (or even cool, but "chill cool", not "hardcore cool") then next in line is most sensible. I'm not really playing to battle anyway, so it doesn't really matter in the end.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old October 2nd, 2013 (11:08 AM).

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Triforce
I think I'm going to go with Chespin. I've never really bothered with grass type Pokemon but this one looks quite cute. And it's something I've contemplated for a few days.

~Triforce~

3DS Code: 2766 9107 9652
Old October 2nd, 2013 (09:54 PM). Edited October 2nd, 2013 by FlamebirdXZ.

If Chesnaught and Greninja are the real evolutions of chespin and frokie ima have trouble deciding between the two. I might do Greninja for Y and Chesnaught for X.

Here are the final evolutions in case you want to take an gander at them O_O

Spoiler:

Check out my shiny pokemon for trade!!
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=320808
Old October 2nd, 2013 (10:36 PM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Fennekin's final's eyes in that picture make it looks sort of evil...
I'm for sure picking Fennekin. Maybe I'll go with Chespin if I ever reset it...
Old October 3rd, 2013 (09:35 AM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri

This was apparently a legit poll someone took. This is exactly what I expect to happen. Fennekin pulled a Snivy this Generation XD

I know it isn't everyone's opinion, its still funny.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (09:40 AM).

So far Delphox is the only one I'd be ok with using.. but seeing as I'll be using Charizard I'm gonna be boxing the starters this gen.. Sad really, but I really dislike Greninja and Chestnaught. Sigh.

Currently looking for: Charizardite X, Treecko, Mudkip, and Shinx.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (09:42 AM).
You Crystal Clods!
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by XanderO:
Spoiler:

This was apparently a legit poll someone took. This is exactly what I expect to happen. Fennekin pulled a Snivy this Generation XD

I know it isn't everyone's opinion, its still funny.
Yeah, I had a feeling it that was going to be the case. Along with Chespin pulling an Oshawott on us.

Also, something I noticed was that we had each different stage had the least fave starter be one of each main starter type according to posts I saw not only by people on forums but also blog sites like Tumblr:

For the base forms of the Kalos starters, the most popular was Fennekin, followed by Chespin, leaving Froakie as least popular. Many thought Froakie was ugly at the time and were hoping he'd look cooler when he evolves, which appeared to be true.

This changed for Chespin when the middle stages came out: Frogadier ended up the most liked, with Braixen close behind, and poor Quilladin getting least liked presumably because it was a "derp". At least it changed most people's views towards Froakie.

And the final stages, again Water won here with Greninja looking like the real fave at this stage, Chesnaught being second fave, and wow Delphox being least popular. Second generation in a row where the Fire starter turned out to have the least fave final evo among the general fanbase I've been witnessing.

I'm imagining Team Fennekin's going to lose a lot of fans because most of the fanbase appeared to be disappointed in Delphox.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (09:46 AM).

Quote originally posted by Hikari10:
Yeah, I had a feeling it that was going to be the case. Along with Chespin pulling an Oshawott on us.

Also, something I noticed was that we had each different stage had the least fave starter be one of each main starter type according to posts I saw not only by people on forums but also blog sites like Tumblr:

For the base forms of the Kalos starters, the most popular was Fennekin, followed by Chespin, leaving Froakie as least popular. Many thought Froakie was ugly at the time and were hoping he'd looked better when he evolves, which appeared to be true.

This changed for Chespin when the middle stages came out: Frogadier ended up the most liked, with Braixen close behind, and poor Quilladin getting least liked presumably because it was a "derp". At least it changed most people's views towards Froakie.

And the final stages, again Water won here with Greninja looking like the real fave at this stage, Chesnaught being second fave, and wow Delphox being least popular. Second generation in a row where the Fire starter turned out to have the least fave final evo among the general fanbase I've been witnessing.

I'm imagining Team Fennekin's going to lose a lot of fans because most of the fanbase appeared to be disappointed in Delphox.
Actually froakie pulled the Oshawott. going from most unfave'd starter to most fave'd Starter when the finals were revealed. fennekin went most popular to least popular.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (09:47 AM).
You Crystal Clods!
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by XanderO:
Actually froakie pulled the Oshawott. going from most unfave'd starter to most fave'd Starter when the finals were revealed. fennekin went most popular to least popular.
Yeah, and funnily enough both were the Water-types of their respective trio. Very sad for what happened to Fennekin's fanbase though, I don't think Delphox is as ugly as Emboar, the one starter that many claimed to be the worst of all.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (09:53 AM).

Quote originally posted by Hikari10:
Yeah, and funnily enough both were the Water-types of their respective trio. Very sad for what happened to Fennekin's fanbase though, I don't think Delphox is as ugly as Emboar, the one starter that many claimed to be the worst of all.

Emboar said to be the worst starter....Ranked higher than gen 1 and 2's Starter in competitive play.

Personally Delphox for me is the worse Fire Starter to date.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (09:59 AM).
You Crystal Clods!
Crystal Tier

I'm kinda surprised that some people actually want to box their Kalos starter upon seeing the final evos, presumably because they were so hyped only to feel like they got let down. Apparently 10% of those who voted on the poll that Xander posted were apparently disappointed in all three.

I do like all three's designs, Delphox doesn't look that terrible to me. Greninja took time for me to warm up to but still that tongue scarf irks me a bit. Chesnaught is definitely the standout one here, it's design is quite drastically different from its pre-evos compared to the other two.

I notice that according to most of the posts I've seen from fans on some Pokemon forums, as well as Tumblr, they claim that they are more likely to box the newer generations' starters in comparison to the earlier generations. Maybe they think that starter designs got worse with every generation?
Old October 3rd, 2013 (10:02 AM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Serious
^Yeah I agree, I think it's just their high expectations being let down badly after approximately 9 months of hype.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (10:37 AM).

Only problem I have with them is they don't have a mega evolution making them less wortth to keep than a Charizard or Blaziken.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old October 3rd, 2013 (11:07 AM).
So basically i'm happier now~

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by Pichu02:
I sincerely hope that Frogadier is dark type.
I think Quilladin will be rock or steel and will have to do with a knight.
I want Chespin's final to be Drak because they have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more options for designs if he is a dark knight and not a paladin because there isn't any "Light" type.
And to make it even, itll be as follows:

Grass/Drak to counter Fire/Psychic to counter Water/Fighting.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (11:14 AM).

Chesnaught and Delpfox are probably my least favorite starter final evolutions. Greninja on the other hand looks pretty damn awesome.

My FC: 2981-6675-2014
IGN: Bad
Old October 3rd, 2013 (11:25 AM).
Gold Tier

Nature: Modest
Honestly none of the starters this time around interest me. The first and second stages are really good but the final ones are just????

I might just ditch my starter and ask someone to trade me over an Inkay as my starter or something...
it'll keep you up all night

boy you belong to me
i got the recipe
and it's called black magic

1349 6159 4149 // black magic
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)