Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page Starter Pokémon

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 3rd, 2013 (01:09 PM).
Bish Bash Bosh

After seeing the finals, Froakie definitely for me now. As someone mentioned before, he has gone from my least favourite to my favourite. After seeing Frogadier you could sort of tell it was going to be dark type as well. I think Chesnaught looks hideous, more like a digimon or something. As for Delphox, a nice concept, but I don't like it as a starter, I can't really see it being a fan favourite or anything like that, and quite disappointing after how much potential Fennekin had. Each to their own though!
Platinum: 1290 5591 8589
White: 1119 9903 5644
White 2: 0477 0343 3480

3DS: 0104 0289 0550

X/Y Safari: Braixen, Larvesta & Magmar
Vivillon: Garden
Old October 3rd, 2013 (01:19 PM).

I used to go for Fennekin but Delphox was a bit off-putting, Chesnaught freaking rocks though so I'm planning to use one.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (02:23 PM).
Hope will never die! ~Lucina

Nature: Quiet
I have to say, I've only taken a glance at the final starters, but it seems that they've wasted the chance to make some of the best starters we've seen. I mean, Fennekin, Chespin and Froakie were the most solid starters we've seen in years, and well from what I hear, they've stuffed them up.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (02:37 PM).
Throw a blanket over it!

Nature: Jolly
Final decision: NONE OF THEM. This generation, I'll stowing away my starter or trading them away. Instead of picking Fen, Ches, or Froak, I think I'll take in a Skitty as my team lead <3

Unless, however, it's true that each of them will receive an alternate evolution. And I really, really, really hope that's true. This was a huge disappointment for me, a fiasco even. If I were going to rank them accordingly...

Meganium > Venusaur > Serperior > Torterra > Sceptile > Chesnaught

Samurott > Blastoise > Swampert > Feraligatr > Greninja ≥ Empoleon

Charizard > Typhlosion > Blaziken > Emboar > Delphox > Infernape

Well, that's my opinion anyway.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (08:12 PM).

Nature: Calm
I can understand how some people are disappointed in the final evolutions, but I can't find that a reason to box your Pokémon away. I've always been a true rp fan of the game and view my starter as one of my most valued Pokémon. You wouldn't throw it away if that's what it became if it was a real adventure. I mean, that's your first Pokémon. I find that one gets less disappointed if you don't make high expectations from the start. Take things for how they truly are and not how you wish they would have been.

Unlike most, I think that Fennekin's final evolution is gorgeous. I'm glad they went more mage instead of witch. It's so majestic looking. Froakie's is a little creepy with the scarf design and overly pointy features, but like all Pokémon, I will grow to love it. Chespin's is a bit much, but I have to admit that I find it awesome at the same time.

I'm still going with my original choice of Fennakin. I will have a Charizard most likely take her place later in the game since I'm 100% in love with the X mega, but it will be months down the road after we can transfer Pokémon from older games.

P.S.
My apologies for this being so long. I guess it's a mini rant due to my disgust with reactions and all that.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (08:17 PM).

Like I said what make it less atractive to use gen 6 starters is they don't have mega and doesn't look that impressive in their final also.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old October 3rd, 2013 (08:19 PM).
╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚

Send a message via Skype™ to Eevee
Spoiler:

If this is truly the male version of Delphox I'll be HAPPY. I'll be getting that male Fennekin!

Old October 3rd, 2013 (08:21 PM).

That picture is hard to say if it's true because of the glow.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old October 3rd, 2013 (08:25 PM).
modern life is rubbish
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Shimmer Mint:
Spoiler:

If this is truly the male version of Delphox I'll be HAPPY. I'll be getting that male Fennekin!
Wow so Delphox is apparently getting gender differences? If that is true I'm guessing the Fennekin fanbase is sorta saved, but I'm guessing they'll only want the males from now on. The Delphox that leaked earlier was female according to one of the screenshots I saw. People seem to be disappointed in the female Delphox but maybe they might not be disappointed in the male if that's the case.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (08:30 PM).
Protect his very soul.

That Delphox is likely fake since I've seen the fanmade sprite somewhere before. It slips my mind now though...

Old October 3rd, 2013 (08:34 PM).
modern life is rubbish
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by TwilightBlade:
That Delphox is likely fake since I've seen the fanmade sprite somewhere before. It slips my mind now though...
You know, I could see it being fake but I'm still hoping it will get gender differences. The one that was leaked yesterday was female according to a screenshot showing it battling Hawlucha.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (08:38 PM). Edited October 3rd, 2013 by D Dog master of war.
Draconid Mage

Nature: Lonely
The starters look amazing to me! They look different from others and the knight all the way! I NEED THIS GAME!

Oh I see what it is. You guys had your hopes way to high so you are mad when they don't look like how you wanted it.

Still I hated them at first but I love them all now.... Th-th-there so beautiful *crys heavy tears of joy*

I am A fighting Champion!!!

3DS FC: 3652-1583-8114
Old October 3rd, 2013 (11:33 PM).

Nature: Brave
Going with Froakie for sure. Looks like a creature from a Zelda game actually.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3eD5dKpbVQNtlaS8MK1z_Q
Old October 3rd, 2013 (11:38 PM).
Rarely comes out of Trade Corner... O.o

I for a long time have also never been impressed by the grass type starters. Bulbasaur was the only one that remotely looked awesome to me. However... I love chespin. In fact this is the first gen that I have thought all of the starters are well done(besides first gen). I am super happy with the starters on this gen. I do not however do not care for the final evos of the grass/fire types. I am still rolling chespin though. Super CUTE!! Have they confirmed if hes grass/dark?
I have a large amount of Dream/Apricorn/HA/IV/Nature Pokemon. If you would like to trade for other Dream/Apricorn/HA/IV/Nature Pokemon let me know as I am always interested. Click here for my spreadsheet --------->

Friend code 0404-6749-5301

Thanks to everyone who has traded with me and helped me out
Old October 3rd, 2013 (11:43 PM).
modern life is rubbish
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by BriCKson:
I for a long time have also never been impressed by the grass type starters. Bulbasaur was the only one that remotely looked awesome to me. However... I love chespin. In fact this is the first gen that I have thought all of the starters are well done(besides first gen). I am super happy with the starters on this gen. I do not however do not care for the final evos of the grass/fire types. I am still rolling chespin though. Super CUTE!! Have they confirmed if hes grass/dark?
The types for the final stages are Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic and Water/Dark.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (11:55 PM).
Rarely comes out of Trade Corner... O.o

Quote originally posted by Hikari10:
The types for the final stages are Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic and Water/Dark.
Really??? I guess that's much more interesting. That kind of excites me for the water type.... I am the biggest absol fan EVER. But chespin is sooooo cute. Those are interesting types. The fire type to me is the least interesting. Thank you for the info!!!!!
Old October 4th, 2013 (06:29 AM).
modern life is rubbish
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by BriCKson:
Really??? I guess that's much more interesting. That kind of excites me for the water type.... I am the biggest absol fan EVER. But chespin is sooooo cute. Those are interesting types. The fire type to me is the least interesting. Thank you for the info!!!!!
Yeah, and the types even fit the RPG class theme they had going on.

Chespin's line is the fighter, hence the part Fighting-type. Fennekin's line is the mage, hence the part Psychic-type and Froakie's line is the thief, hence being part Dark-type. It's even acknowledged on this TV Tropes page.
Old October 5th, 2013 (07:12 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
I think I'll start with Fennekin initially. For the most part, I've always enjoyed the fire starters the best. And he's just so adorable.
Old October 5th, 2013 (09:19 AM).
Not wearin glasses.I wanna look awesome.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
While I'm trying to avoid all leaks as much as possible, I just accidentally discovered these yesterday......

So here's my thoughts.

Personally I don't get all the hate for them. I think they're cool! The leaks said they'd be a knight, mage , and ninja and that's exactly what these are. Delphox is a Fire/Psychic too and not Fire/Fighting which is what everyone was hoping Fennekin's evolution would be. The reason it loses it's stick or wand, resemsbles how wizard/mages become so powerful that they don't need to use a wand to create magic but can channel it on their own. Chesnaught's color change is based on how a chestnut bursting out of it's shell and it also resemble armadillo combined with a knight. I guess people just had their expectations up way too high. That's definitely because all of the fan made ones looked really cool. People saw those and got their hopes hope. Honestly i thought a lot of of the fanart looked amazing too, but knowing GameFreak, I expected them to look way different than those.

I really like all of them, but I'm waiting for their official reveals and I see their official art before holding further judgement. My opinion on a Pokemon often changes after I see official artwork. I'm still fairly certain I'll be picking Fennekin cause I like Delphox, but I really like Greninja alot too so I may be conflicted once again!
Old October 5th, 2013 (10:01 AM).
Metagross Fan

In my opinion, I find Froakie to have the most understandable and coolest looking evolution.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 5th, 2013 (10:04 AM).
modern life is rubbish
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by DynamicD:
In my opinion, I find Froakie to have the most understandable and coolest looking evolution.
Yeah, and even more better was that like the two Water starters before it, it started off unloved by the fanbase, only to end up getting such a cool-looking final evolution stage. Heck people weren't even expecting Piplup to eventually become part-Steel!

And also this means Kalos is the second region that all of its starters gain a second type in their final stages, the first one being Sinnoh.
Old October 5th, 2013 (10:12 AM).
Mirror, mirror

it started off unloved by the fanbase, only to end up getting such a cool-looking final evolution stage.
Woah, woah, woah. Stop right there. When did anybody dislike Froakie?
Old October 5th, 2013 (10:14 AM).
modern life is rubbish
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Akromaric:
Woah, woah, woah. Stop right there. When did anybody dislike Froakie?
When the starters were first revealed, Fennekin and Chespin got loads of fans but they all thought Froakie looked so ugly.
Old October 5th, 2013 (10:30 AM).
Mirror, mirror

When the starters were first revealed, Fennekin and Chespin got loads of fans but they all thought Froakie looked so ugly.
Really? Huh. The more you know.

I'm probably going with Chespin in X.
Old October 5th, 2013 (10:55 AM).
Vocaloid fan~

I really dislike all of the final starters but I'm still gonna choose Fennekin. I'm really dissapointed about all of the final evos

Sponsored Links