The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:26 AM
RYOUKI
survive the world.

Nature: Timid
I can't decide! All of them are just too cool!

I want that witchy Dephox but Chesnaught is just too cool! I want to use Greninja for Water Shuriken though

I really can't decide. When I first saw the starters, I said I'd chose Froakie.

Then comes the second evolution line and Braixen's broom wand thing stole my heart!

Last evolution was Chesnaught and he was so cool! I can't decide!

I'd probably use Chespin because I hadn't used Fire starter since Torchic but every starter is just too tempting...
If you appreciate what you got in trade, O-Power the person!
Shout "Nice" to the person whom you traded to!
Together WE can stop the cycle of hate!
It doesn't hurt you to be nice or appreciative.
Don't be that underaged player who doesn't know better!
Good Pokemons to trade: Leftover breeds, Shiny Pokemon, Rare Pokemon, HA Pokemon, Dittos
FC: 4038-6797-4873. Flying-type with Doduo, Tranquil and Tropius.
Remember to tell me if you added me!
Old October 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Psywing

Most likely, I'll go with Froakie. I'm not a fan of Fennekin's final evo. Even though I like Chesnaught's design, I still think the proportions are kind of awkward. Greninja wins it for me. Still, I'm not totally sure.

Pokemon Y: 3196-4359-6816
My Safari is Dark Type: Pawniard, Cacturne, Sableye.

National Pokedex: Completed! (Including event Pokemon)
If you need any help completing the Nat Dex, let me know. I will help.
Old October 5th, 2013, 07:29 PM
mouseyface

All of them have horrible last evos so i am just going to pick a random one and capture another pokemon i like to replace it .
Old October 5th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Serperion
The Fallen King

Nature: Calm
Well Grass Types have taken me by the storm again, this makes 4 generations in a row now of Grass-Type Starters first, ahh I miss Charmander and Totodile...

Should Beauty ever be my best feature I would simply die
Old October 5th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
Last generation made Typhosion's back sprite look like crap, so I might end up using one (an offspring of my Heart Gold Typhlosion in fact lol) in one of the games. can't wait. He's always been my favourite starter.
Old October 5th, 2013, 09:38 PM
BoredForLife

Honestly I've been considering Fennekin... But most likely it will be Froakie for me.

Old October 5th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Larinelle
Purrfect Purple Paradise

Send a message via Skype™ to Larinelle
This ended up being a tricky choice for me! 3:

I really liked their first evolution - especially Fennekin and Chespin! Had high hopes. 3:
I quite liked Froakie as well.. I'm just not that much into frogs!
But anyway.. I was pretty sure I would be taking Fennekin because I haven't used a fire starter in a long time (Can't say I liked Tepig, Chimchar and Torchic all that much.) but I wanted to let it depend on their final evolutions.

Unfortunatly those are exactly the only Pokémon of this generation which don't appeal to me at all!
I completly dislike Chestnaughts design. : ( But then again - I don't feel like using plant this time around anyway!
Froakie's last evolution is actually quite cool-looking. But then - as mentioned before - I don't have much of a thing for frogs and in all honesty.. I find the tongue a bit disturbing. 3: <

Which leaves Fennekin!
I am very disapointed in Fennekins evolution as well but at least I believe it could grow on me. Perhaps it's not exactly the design I dislike so much but more that it's completely not what I was hoping it to be. I just don't like when they humanize Pokémon etc.
And unlike most - it seems - I don't think it looks feminine. :'')

Anyway - as I wanted to use fire anyway and Delphox seems to be the only one that may grow on me I will be sticking to Fennekin as I had originally planned.
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Blue_Mystic_Ranger
Master of Time and Space

So these evos are legit, then? I'm happy with what we got. I think they all look awesome.

Greninja is definitely my favorite, though. Dark and Water are my top two favorite types, and it looks great (who doesn't like ninjas?), so I really couldn't be more pleased with how Froakie turned out.

Design-wise, I like Delphox and Chesnaught about the same, but I don't particularly care for Grass or Fighting types, so I'll be choosing Fennekin for my second play through. Also, Psychic is my third favorite type. I'll do Chespin last.

After the awful starters in Gen V, I was pretty worried that they'd screw up with Gen VI as well. Thankfully, I think I can now rest easy until release day. Of course, we don't have the stats or full movesets yet, but I'm optimistic.
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:31 AM
SgtStuddMuffin
Gotta Catch 'em all.

Nature: Relaxed
Does anyone else think the starter for X and Y are a bit lame compared to past starters?
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtStuddMuffin View Post
Does anyone else think the starter for X and Y are a bit lame compared to past starters?
I don't see anything wrong with the designs, most people if I recall claimed 5th Gen had the most lame-looking starters, maybe because they hated Emboar so much for being the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row.

These starters evolution lines have some motif of being based on RPG classes, namely a fighter/knight (Chespin/Quilladin/Chesnaught), a mage (Fennekin/Braixen/Delphox) and a thief/rogue (Froakie/Frogadier/Greninja).

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Old October 6th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I honestly think the X/Y starters look way better than the ones in BW, and after seeing their final evos and their typings, i can say i'm really excited about this Gen!! I'm not quite sure who i like more, Chespin or Froakie, but since i'm getting both versions I'll pick one in each :D

I'm really glad Gamefreak went with some completely new type combos with this Gen's starters!

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Rainecho
-Music is My Life-

I want to try something new and I'll go with Froakie. I mainly pick Fire Types, but using Fire types somehow make the game boring, it's just so OP. So... Froakie looks weird to me ans that's why I like it. XD
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorogami View Post
I honestly think the X/Y starters look way better than the ones in BW, and after seeing their final evos and their typings, i can say i'm really excited about this Gen!! I'm not quite sure who i like more, Chespin or Froakie, but since i'm getting both versions I'll pick one in each :D

I'm really glad Gamefreak went with some completely new type combos with this Gen's starters!
It's funny they gave us a fourth straight generation with a starter that becomes part-Fighting, but the first time that's not the Fire-type. The types of the final stage Kalos starters are Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic and Water/Dark.

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Old October 6th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
It's funny they gave us a fourth straight generation with a starter that becomes part-Fighting, but the first time that's not the Fire-type.
I havent even thought about that, i guess that is pretty funny!
I think chesnaught looks great, and i'm in love with greininjas design and typing!! :D

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:26 AM
SgtStuddMuffin
Gotta Catch 'em all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the designs, most people if I recall claimed 5th Gen had the most lame-looking starters, maybe because they hated Emboar so much for being the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row.

These starters evolution lines have some motif of being based on RPG classes, namely a fighter/knight (Chespin/Quilladin/Chesnaught), a mage (Fennekin/Braixen/Delphox) and a thief/rogue (Froakie/Frogadier/Greninja).
I guess that's true but I just don't think they are great looking as previous starters. I haven't seen the final evolution's yet so I can't comment on that, But I think they are too, I dont know, Cartoony?
Old October 6th, 2013, 11:50 AM
squirtle124

since seeing the final evo's i am going to choose chespin i really dislike the fire types final evo and froakie is alright but i think chespin's final evo looks really good and good defense stats too and i will choose charmander i would choose squirtle but i like clauncher and i want a gyrados so there is too much choice for water types the only grass type i would like to try is skiddo.
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:19 PM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
Right now, i'm still pretty set on picking Fennekin, but I really like the designs of Chesnaught and Greninja so I'm still sort of conflicted on which one to pick. I've always picked the Grass starter though and Chespin's final evo really changed my mind about it and I could continue that tradition or break it by going with Fennekin. I really like the idea of a psychic fox Pokemon.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Jay0173
Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Jay0173
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtStuddMuffin View Post
Nope. I don't think there's anything wrong with them at all. I think they all look really nice.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old October 6th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Golden_spider

Fire starter... ehhh nope i hate those...

Grass starter... my god no...

Water starter... froakie ALL THE WAY!
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:43 PM
seishiro-san
Inspirational
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Modest
I am having quite a hard time choosing between Froakie and Chespin! Eventually I shall decide one day before 12th >.<Mostly I am more the Froakie side.
= Medical Student Artist Fuszball =

Old October 6th, 2013, 10:57 PM
hypnoticsoul

i think ill be going chespin, i rarely choose grass starters(the only other time ive used one was treecko) but i just feel like i prefer it over fennekin and froakie. and ill be choosing squirtle from the professor, and the torchic event, so theres an even spread of the three starter types right there.

3DS Friend code:3480-2539-4252
In-Game Name(Version Y): Soul
Friend Safari: Ice Type
Dewdong-Snorunt-Bergmite

Old October 6th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Mega Charizard X
Team Froakie for life

Nature: Gentle
I think I'll go for Froakie.
It looks cute and it would be fun to train it.
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:38 AM
HaphazardAsylum

i am going to go with Chespin and charmander in x and will probably play through again with froakie and bulbasaur as i am torn between my love for froakies first form and chespins second and third and i have always liked bulbasaur but charizard x is too awesome to pass up on
Old October 8th, 2013, 05:05 PM
AuroraBeam
let it go~
Community Supporter

I'm choosing fennekin because she's my favorite starter in a really long time. And charmander but he probably won't stay in my team because I'll have fennekin. I love her but not the evolved forms so I'm keeping her little.

~*~*~

~*~*~

Old October 8th, 2013, 06:11 PM
causality

Nature: Docile
Delphox is the worst starter to date, but I do love it's Fire/Psychic typing. So as of right now I think I'll go with it. If not, then Greninja because even though I'm going Kalos pokemon only I want a mega on my team and I'm thinking of going with Gardevoir and I don't want two Psychic types on my team.

Overall Greninja is by far the best of the three. Chesnaught is alright as well.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links