The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013 (01:58 PM).
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
Huh, well... I really love Fennekin! Chespin is okay, I guess, but Froakie... that thing is really ugly :\ The first water starter that I actually really dislike.

Any spriter interested in having their Fakemon appear in a fan game? Or designing fake Mega Evolutions? Shoot me a PM
Old January 8th, 2013 (02:08 PM).
BanditThePikachu
The Raichu of awesome

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to BanditThePikachu
I gotta say I'd choose Chespin. :U
Old January 8th, 2013 (02:17 PM).
Sydian
1000 forms of fear

Nature: Timid
I changed my mind. They're all adorable. For any of you still on the fence, go look at some fan art instead of official art. Fan art makes things much better, and official art can ruin even your favorites. lol

Still gonna start with Fennekin before the other two though! I hope they don't ruin the final evos of all these guys like they did with gen V. :/
Old January 8th, 2013 (02:23 PM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I must say that Chespin is my favourite at the moment and will probably what I use in my main game. For the other, it'll probably be Froakie as I don't really like Fennekin's design. Of course this might all change depending on the evolutions.
Old January 8th, 2013 (02:55 PM).
Adore
(◕‿◕✿)

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Adore
I really love all of them but Froakie is just so cute that I'm probably going to start with it. ;A;

Unless one of the other two has amazing evolutions and Froakie doesn't.

theme: rain | tumblr
Old January 8th, 2013 (03:21 PM).
Mad_Troll15
Unhatched Egg

Froakie looks pretty cool and I haven't gone for a water type in ages.
Old January 8th, 2013 (03:23 PM).
PhoenixWright77
Pokémaster Attorney

Nature: Calm
I'll be using Froakie because it's a frog. Everybody likes frogs. Right?

Pokemon Y friend code:0559-6785-8830
Remember to PM me if you add me!
Old January 8th, 2013 (03:25 PM).
Flydro
doobz

Froakie is the coolest.

I keep watching the video looking for clues or hints in the battle scenes. All three of the starters used second attacks that didn't seem to be of their primary type, possibly hinting at dual types later in their evolutions. I think Chespin used Night Slash so I might become a Grass/Dark type, took a closer look at the second attack Fennekin used and to me it actually looked like it was beginning to launch a Dark Pulse attack judging by the dark purple circles coming from it's mouth, so now I think it might become a Fire/Dark type, and Froakie might evolve into a Water/Fighting because it used what could have been Close Combat. I also think Froakie's second attack could have been Acrobatics, and it's design could hint at a possible Water/Flying type judging from the cloud cape around it's neck. Hopefully Flying is the case because I think a flying frog would be a good addition to the fighting frog Poliwrath, poison frog Toxicroak, and ground frog Seismitoad.

So far I'm mostly going with Froakie, but I have to see the complete evos to know for sure. All three look interesting in their own ways so my final choice could be any of the three.

*hunting:

Old January 8th, 2013 (03:26 PM).
Snowdrop
Throw a blanket over it!

Nature: Jolly
I like the starters. The Fire-type is refreshingly simple and cute, and plus: it's a shnazzin' fennec fox! It's so adorable :3

Chespin looks cute with his little hood and stuff, but what kind of reptile is it supposed to be? All starters follow the pattern Fire - Zodiac, Water - Semiaquatic, Grass - Reptile. It looks like mole-rabbit thing to me.

Froakie has kind of grown on me. I disliked it when I first saw it but it is a cutie.

My favorites are Chespin and Fennekin, and since I love Grass types I'll probably choose Ches. I can't wait to see their final evos!

As for originality, they look fine to me. Except perhaps the frog, but I haven't seen his final evolution so no judgies until it's revealed!
Old January 8th, 2013 (03:27 PM).
diamondmutt1111
A wild summer appeared!

Nature: Lax
Chespin first, Froakie later...Chespin to me is the coolest, Froakie comes in at second, while Fennekin is a little too Zorua-ish. Of course, as mentioned MANY times, evolutions could change my opinion.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi
#swablunest/Youtube/Blogger
Old January 8th, 2013 (03:33 PM).
Kaori
tragedy

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
Totally only posting here to show off my Fennekin avatar. ♥

I simply adore all of the starters. It's crazy to see so much artwork of it already made by fans too! I wouldn't mind using any of the three since they're all so equally amazing, but it also depends on the starter evolutions. Blindly speaking though, Fennekin would be my choice as of now. :3

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Old January 8th, 2013 (03:41 PM).
PhoenixWright77
Pokémaster Attorney

I noticed something interesting. In the video you will notice each starter attacking twice. The first one using it's own type and the second time it's using a move of a different type. Maybe that other type is their secondary type? If that is true, this is what I think their types will be.

Chespin=Grass/Dark

Fennekin=Fire/Psychic

Froakie=Water/Fighting

Pokemon Y friend code:0559-6785-8830
Remember to PM me if you add me!
Old January 8th, 2013 (03:44 PM).
CobaltChrome
Unhatched Egg

Fennekin is easily my favourite, but these guys do look interesting. Better than the Gen 5 starters. My Fennekin will be called Mozilla :3
Old January 8th, 2013 (03:59 PM).
Emrald
Togepi

Nature: Serious
Fennekin is my current favorite, but the other starters arn't half bad. I usually choose Grass or Water, so maybe this time i'll go with Fire?
Old January 8th, 2013 (04:07 PM).
Reshiram Man
Resident Peacekeeper

Nature: Modest
Rating them in my mind on what I'd use in-game, I'd probably pick Fennekin over the others just because I have a passion for fire types and the fact it looks sexy/cute.

Rating them on creativity, Chespin takes the cake for that one. It sort of resembles Nuzleaf in a way but gives a new twist to the design.

And, lastly, contrary to most people on here, I'd also probably pick Froakie, for it has given a better looking design to a "frog" than any others before it.
The place where I was born

Scars, she’s got her scars
Sometimes it starts to worry me
Cause lose, I don’t want to lose
Sight of who we are

From the mountains high
To the wave-crashed coast
There’s a way to find
Better days I know

It’s been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
This is still the place
That we all call home
Old January 8th, 2013 (04:16 PM).
masaru3
Chespin, I choose you!

I'm going to pick Chespin, but I have to have a Fennekin in my team as soon as possible. These starters look awesome and actually worth training. I can't say the same thing about the frog. It's the only ugly water starter until now, they could have done a better job with the water starter. Maybe it's evolutions will change my mind about it.
Black 2:
5244 5521 1042
◄ Masaru's Dream World Shop ►
Old January 8th, 2013 (04:50 PM).
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
The new starters are some of the best I've seen in like 2 generations. My favorite of the three would have to be Chespin O:

Old January 8th, 2013 (05:26 PM).
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

Nature: Quiet
I'm going with Chespin since I always pick the Grass-type starters and because that's how I roll.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old January 8th, 2013 (05:33 PM).
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
So, what does everyone think the Evolutions of the starters' types will be?

Personally I think the fox will stay pure fire while the Chipmunk will be either Grass/Fighting or Grass/Ground. Water will be Water/Flying. His white fluff looks like clouds to me even though some people draw him with bubbles on his back.
Old January 8th, 2013 (05:43 PM).
Axeliira
we all got the spark

Nature: Brave
I'm someone who goes after the grass-type starters first. My first impression of Chespin was...not so well. To me it looks like a tanned Dewott in a Snivy costume. I'm still trying to figure out why it has some kind of hat on its head. Or whatever it is. As I am posting this, it is starting to grow on me. It's typical at first, but I'll give it time.

Fennekin is just simply ADORABLE. I like foxes, and Fennekin might just beat out my other favorite fox Pokemon Ninetales & Vulpix. I'm really curious about this Pokemon's later evolutions. I hope it's majestic, and I REALLY hope it doesn't turn out to be a fire-fighting starter, or I will be disappoint.

I'm not a fan of Froakie, so I'll be staying away from that Pokemon. It's a huge disapointment from last generation when we had Oshawott. I hope this Pokemon has a good evolution line, then we'll talk. :P

Ever think that you could lose your mind, could it be the big d r e a m you'll find.
No more waiting cause it's almost time, everything is gonna be a l r i g h t.
moderator of fan clubs & groups ~ paired to buoysel & kanzler
Old January 8th, 2013 (05:49 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Fennekin. Sold. It even looks the most like a Pokémon.

Chespin looks cute, but seems like the odd one out as far as what the three are (Fennekin is obviously a cute little fox cub, Froakie is clearly a frog). While Froakie meets the "looks like a Pokémon" criteria I have, Chespin comes across as a more useful starter already without even knowing movesets. But Fennekin is my choice. Fire better not be weak early on or I will be sad.

Hikari: nice sig. image already. That was quick!

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old January 8th, 2013 (05:50 PM).
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Froakie looks funny, it's definitely the one I'll be choosing when it comes out

The grass kinda looks like a grass type Oshawott in my point of view haha.

And the fox, I'm not really amazed by it's design really. Froakie got to me by the way his face just looks like a derp face
Old January 8th, 2013 (08:19 PM).
OrangeNess
Layton Lover

Nature: Docile
Chespin because I love grass types, and he has the best design IMO.
Old January 8th, 2013 (08:27 PM).
Deceit
Toxic.

Wow, I'm surprised Froakie is the least picked pokemon. I really love that frog. And again, I've fallen for the water type, must be some kind of pattern or something. Next favorite would be Fennekin, it has a cool design. I don't like Chespin really. Idk, for me it seems like its design is just mixed up.

But the evolutions haven't even been released yet. I really hope Froakie doesn't turn out to be something like Oshawott to Samurott. That was really disappointing.

So what are your typing guesses, guys?
Old January 8th, 2013 (08:29 PM).
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
Omg all these starters are ridiculous. They better be stronger then past starters. A Toad Starter? Really? -_-
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links