The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I actually like these! I'm seeing very little hate which is a huge difference from last year, iirc there were lots of hate for our little Unova starters :(

Chespin kind of reminds me of Oshawott but I actually like it's design and hopefully its fully evolved form looks cool, because I think I'm going to pick this one. n_n Froakie's alright, I hope it doesn't end up like Seismitoad and Fennekin like Ninetales. But overall these are nice!

I just realized today that since there is almost no way they could pull off a Fire/Fighting fox we are free from that type combination!
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Kloun
Dividing by zero since 2011.

Nature: Serious
I would really have to see the evolutions to decide who I'm going to pick, seeing as I always pick my starters on who I think looks the coolest.

I do think Froakie has huge potential, though, so I'm really excited to see what he's going to look like fully evolved.

I'm not a huge fan of the grass type. It just looks so.... familiar. I really want to see what the fire type will look like though, since I can definitely see something epic evolving from that little fox. I'm generally super excited about the new game, and can't wait to see the other gen six pokemon.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:02 PM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deceit View Post
Wow, I'm surprised Froakie is the least picked pokemon. I really love that frog. And again, I've fallen for the water type, must be some kind of pattern or something. Next favorite would be Fennekin, it has a cool design. I don't like Chespin really. Idk, for me it seems like its design is just mixed up.

But the evolutions haven't even been released yet. I really hope Froakie doesn't turn out to be something like Oshawott to Samurott. That was really disappointing.

So what are your typing guesses, guys?
I have a feeling Chespin gains a Fighting subtype. It stands upright already. However, it looks like a mole, so it could be Grass/Ground.

Fennekin I can't see sub-typed. None really match. Unless it gains Psychic abilities (I swear I saw it using a Psychic attack in the trailer, so I'd bank on this one). Just look at my avatar, so cute chasing a Pokéball on the string!

(Just to clear something up, I'm male. That just looks cute.)

Froakie is like a Water form of Croagunk to me. I'm not a fan of it as I never liked Croagunk (must be a frog thing). However, it may grow on me. Water/Poison, mebbe? In light of a post below mine, Water/Fighting is my second guess for the same reason stated; I saw a Fighting move there. However, a lot of Pokémon can learn individual Fighting moves. I'm going with Water/Poison as a frog comes across as a poisonous type to me.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Last edited by CycloneGU; January 9th, 2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Add.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:42 PM
PokemonMasters
Always Remember Forever&After

Nature: Calm
Fennekin FTW :D Fennekin is so cute </3 I want that starter and so does a lot of people.

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapras* View Post
I actually like these! I'm seeing very little hate which is a huge difference from last year, iirc there were lots of hate for our little Unova starters

Chespin kind of reminds me of Oshawott but I actually like it's design and hopefully its fully evolved form looks cool, because I think I'm going to pick this one. n_n Froakie's alright, I hope it doesn't end up like Seismitoad and Fennekin like Ninetales. But overall these are nice!

I just realized today that since there is almost no way they could pull off a Fire/Fighting fox we are free from that type combination!
I remember thinking that when Tepig was revealed, a fighting pig is just a ridiculous idea, and it was indeed ridiculous.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Ω & α... Join the Bandwagon!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
I really love these starters, there getting no where near as much hate as Unova's. Chespin looks really cool, and looks like he could turn into some bad-ass Pokemon. Fennekn is too cute, it is adorable <3 I can see it turning into some really beautiful Pokemon. Froakie is okay looking, but Im glad to say his evolutions have big potential. I think they missed the mark with the other frog Pokemon, maybe this time they'll hit it.

I think the types will be: Chespin-Grass/Dark, Fennekin-Fire/Psychic and Froakie-Water-Fighting. Reasons, well in the trailer it appears that they use moves mentioned above. This would be awesome because then all the types would be balanced.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Serperion
The Fallen King

Out of the three I like Chespin and Fennekin equally I have lost my love for the water starters since Gen III. I'm sorry Froakie

In their final forms I think this'll be their typing

Chespin - Grass/Dark
Fennekin - Fire/Psychic (This one I'm more sure of considering Fennekin used a psychic looking move in the trailer)
Froakie - Water/Poison

Should Beauty ever be my best feature I would simply die
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:02 PM
miltankRancher
Mega Ampharos is the one.

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Yahoo to miltankRancher
I agree with people saying that another fire/fighting type would be near impossible. I think, from the video, Fennekin might be a psychic type. This move here looks psychic to me. I am not familiar with each of how the attack works, but does this not look like Woobat's Heart Stamp? Maybe it is a new move, but who knows.

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Flydro
doobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltankRancher View Post
I agree with people saying that another fire/fighting type would be near impossible. I think, from the video, Fennekin might be a psychic type. This move here looks psychic to me. I am not familiar with each of how the attack works, but does this not look like Woobat's Heart Stamp? Maybe it is a new move, but who knows.

I was looking at that scene too, and to me it looks like Fennekin's attack looked like the beginnings of a Dark Pulse. Just because of the oval rings and the dark purple and stuff. Rather it not be dark type though, because I think Fennekin is already too similar to Zorua as it is.

*hunting:

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:28 PM
bmah
B.A.M.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bmah
I don't quite understand the hate towards Froakie. Poor water type...I remember Oshawott getting bashed when Gen V came out because it looked "overdesigned" (and ugly), and now I'm hearing that Froakie looks too plainly like...a frog (and ugly). Ironically, everyone went nuts for Oshawott AFTER they saw its final evolution form. I'm half-expecting the same sort of hypocrisy with Froakie as well. So hold your horses!

Don't quite like Chespin at first sight, as I'm not all over the goofy look that's reminiscent of Happy Tree Friends. Again, subject to change once I see its evolutions.

If I had to choose a starter based on its initial form, I'll just take Fennekin, but honestly I'll have to see what their evolved forms are like before I make a real decision. The existence of Vulpix sorta toned down my hype for Fennekin, probably because I'm looking for something more different.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serperion View Post
Chespin - Grass/Dark
Fennekin - Fire/Psychic (This one I'm more sure of considering Fennekin used a psychic looking move in the trailer)
Froakie - Water/Poison
I agree with this but I am led to believe Froakie is a Water/Fighting. In the trailer, it strikes a Patrat in a move that looks like Close Combat.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zupplu View Post
I agree with this but I am led to believe Froakie is a Water/Fighting. In the trailer, it strikes a Patrat in a move that looks like Close Combat.
Some of the screen shot descriptions for that said that Froakie tackled Patrat so its hard to tell.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Polizard
Awesome Trainer

Nature: Bold
They have all grown on me i like them all. Froakie at first like many others i did not like but i gotta say it has grown on my and i would say it is my favorite. Still undecided on which one to pick as my starter i need to see there final evolution

Pokémon Friend Code: 3754-6716-8065
Not Sure of the Pokémon in my friend Safari.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

^Yes I agree, Froakie has grown on me and It will be really hard for me to pick. And oh thanks Xander that does make it hard to tell.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:24 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
The very second I saw the Fire-type starter, I despised it. Seriously, I hate that thing!
As for my favourite, it's Froakie. It's Water-type, which I usually choose anyway, plus it's a frog.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:30 AM
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

All,I'll choose Froakie,but I like fennekin even more.

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:36 AM
crehym

As always, the fire type gets the most love (even Tepig, that pig's ugly).
Then they're making a grass type ala Treecko (which walks in two feet), because the water/fire starters always get that kind of characteristic.

I think they'll end like this
Chespin - Speedy, grass/ground maybe?
Fennekin - Plain fire like Cyndaquil line
Froakie - I don't care what it'll be, it's my favorite among the three

Chespin is like a mole Oshawott, Fennekin is Vulpix/Fire Zorua. Froakie is the most unique for me.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:37 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
From the fan art I have seen (mostly Nick's avatar) I must say that Chespin is my favourite at the moment. So cute :3
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:42 AM
XXVIII
Romhacker Wannabe

Wow these starters are cool, I like them more than the previous starters.
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:15 AM
xRekke
Shiny Hunter

Cant really decide!
Have to see their final form first!

Shiny Hunter at your Service!
THE HUNT IS ON!

Add me up! 3ds friend code: 4270-0863-3280

Friend Safari : FIGHTING
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

I absolutely love Fennekin. Fennekin is sooooo adorable. x3

Well, ever since I saw the starter on the Pokémon Direct presentation, now I know which starter I'm choosing now. I can't wait to pick Fennekin and start playing the game once it's launched. ^^

I don't really mind how Fennekin would look in it's evolved forms, I bet they would look absolutely stunning though. :D

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:18 AM
rocky505
<Now who's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Some of the screen shot descriptions for that said that Froakie tackled Patrat so its hard to tell.
The move it used looked like acrobatics to me, especially since it seemed like Froakie was flipping around Patrat and hitting it.
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Another thing that I'm thinking about with the starters in the game... is that I think I can speculate what types they will be.

Chespin - Grass
Fennekin (my absolute favorite x3) - Fire (yes, plain fire type)
Froakie - Water

By the look of those Pokémon, I wouldn't be surprised that they won't have any secondary type. xD

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Kyain
The Sky High Pokémon
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyain
Chespin looks like it could just be plain Grass. It's also my least favorite (there's still love for you.) (I hated Smugleaf)

So does Fennekin, except not grass but Fire. It also happens to be my most favorite (I always luff fire types, but more so this time with Fennekin.)

And Froakie could be Water-FlyingIce or something. Maybe. I like this guy, too.

Silver-tier supporter Kyain's Signature
There's nothing here...lol
My stuff:

Space for rent

lalalalala i can't hear you. FACT.
[context: facebook]
Quote:
over a milliard of users had no access
[1:41:11 PM] Khilia-chan~: they all were forced to have a life

Old January 9th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Raichupacabra
Villain

Nature: Hasty
Hopefully Fennekin is a Fire and Psychic type. Those are probably two of my favorite types. I'm not such a fan of Froakie or Chespin, but they'll grow on me eventually.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X | 3DS Friend Code: 4313-1107-3365
(PM me with your Friend Code and tell me if you have added me)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links