The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Pokemon X 153 34.85%
Pokemon Y 194 44.19%
Both 92 20.96%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Greenbeans
Guardian of Le Foret
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
Dont know about you guys but i have seen a lot of repetition for the legendary's. not saying the other ones sucked but its nice to have a bit of a change

3DS Name: Jericho 3DS Friend Code: 3995 - 6761 - 1080 Old Username: Jerichob10
Old January 15th, 2013, 07:53 AM
mijumaru1
Unhatched Egg

Love how Yveltal looks, I'm surprised both X & Y and pretty equally popular
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Superfox

This is my official prediction in what each of their types is going to be:

Xerneas: Electric/Dark (the rainbow lights on its antlers point to Electric, while the color scheme for the rest of its body makes me think Dark). However it could also be just plain Electric, Electric/Grass (as we saw it in a forest and its a deer), or even Electric/Ice (as it reminds me of a reindeer, especially with those Christmas light antlers)

Yveltal: Dragon/Fighting (its obviously inspired by a dragon of some sort and I event saw somewhere that its name could come from Wyvern). The Fighting subtype is a guess based on the fact that its wings and tail have giant finger-like protrusions that could roll up into fists and pack one hell of a punch. However, it could also be a Dark type judging by the overall dark color scheme.

My Friend Safari type is Flying, with Fearow and Swanna.
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:41 PM
XD00J
The "God of Chaos & Darkness."

I want the vulture guy! He looks cool! My friend wanted X Version but did not want the deer. Oh,well.
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Twilight-kun
Pokemon World Champion 2014-15

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to Twilight-kun Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Twilight-kun Send a message via Yahoo to Twilight-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Twilight-kun
Xerneas just looks bad

Like Arceus mated Dialga with a Stanler

Their names are ridiculous, but the Flying one looks much better
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:33 PM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
This might sound kinda crazy, but could it be possible that they might try to do a three type system this time around. I mean a huge shot in the dark, but I mean, alot of the characteristics of both legendaries sort of point to having more than 2 types.

Although...that's highly unlikely, but here would be my theory

Xerneas: Psychic/Steel/Grass or Electric/Steel/Grass
Yveltal: Posion/Flying/Dark Fire/Flying/Dark

It would obviously turn the game mechanics on it's head, but it would be pretty wild.
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidtheDeadPhilosopher View Post
This might sound kinda crazy, but could it be possible that they might try to do a three type system this time around. I mean a huge shot in the dark, but I mean, alot of the characteristics of both legendaries sort of point to having more than 2 types.

Although...that's highly unlikely, but here would be my theory

Xerneas: Psychic/Steel/Grass or Electric/Steel/Grass
Yveltal: Posion/Flying/Dark Fire/Flying/Dark

It would obviously turn the game mechanics on it's head, but it would be pretty wild.
The same could be said for quite a few Pokémon that we're already familiar with to be honest. The problem with giving any Pokémon a third type, even a legendary, is that not only does it complicate the type system and mechanics, but it'll increase the number of weaknesses a Pokémon may have as well as increase the calculated damage to 8x or more depending on which types you put together. I wouldn't want these two to have that type of disadvantage.

I'd never dismiss the idea of triple types entirely, because sometimes you just can't predict what GameFreak might do next, but I think to bring it in now would make things a bit too much of a mess. To besides, I don't think it's really needed when we haven't completed all the possible type combinations yet.

That's something I wouldn't mind with Xerneas and Yveltal, is if they're given a type combo that hasn't been done yet. Although, it's hard to say which, especially for Yveltal, which could easily turn out to be a Fire/Flying, Dark/Flying, or possibly Dark/Fire.
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Something I'm just now noticing...Yveltal has a fluffy collar around his lower neck, a collar very similar to that of condor, vulture, and buzzards. So...I can't see him as an eagle as he's speculated to be. Even his beak seem similar to those three.
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Bluerang1
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Something I'm just now noticing...Yveltal has a fluffy collar around his lower neck, a collar very similar to that of condor, vulture, and buzzards. So...I can't see him as an eagle as he's speculated to be. Even his beak seem similar to those three.
Yeah I didn't see the eagle thing either even though I believed the theory. However Yvetal does look like an eagle, especially with its Sugimori art.
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:03 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I always thought Yveltal looked like a Quetzalcoatl. I never really saw it as an eagle.
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Guy
just a guy

I never totally wrapped my head around the eagle speculation for Yveltal. To me, it has always been more reminiscent between the mix of the vulture family and a Phoenix, especially when we first saw it in the video.
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:10 PM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Its not gonna be an exact representation of what its based on, otherwise its not a Pokemon.

The reason why it has a vulture look along with the more threatening design and the creepy veins like patterns, might be that it is also supposed to embody a death-related theme in contrast to Xerneas' who could be about life.
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Skybacon to me looks like a cross between a vulture and a wyvern.
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTjA View Post
Its not gonna be an exact representation of what its based on, otherwise its not a Pokemon.

The reason why it has a vulture look along with the more threatening design and the creepy veins like patterns, might be that it is also supposed to embody a death-related theme in contrast to Xerneas' who could be about life.
Ya I agree with that. Plus generally I just get the same sort of feeling as I get with Mandibuzz overall, which was that it was evil and is related to bad. The vein stuff just kind of cements it tbh.
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Sealeo
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfox View Post
This is my official prediction in what each of their types is going to be:

Xerneas: Electric/Dark (the rainbow lights on its antlers point to Electric, while the color scheme for the rest of its body makes me think Dark). However it could also be just plain Electric, Electric/Grass (as we saw it in a forest and its a deer), or even Electric/Ice (as it reminds me of a reindeer, especially with those Christmas light antlers)

Yveltal: Dragon/Fighting (its obviously inspired by a dragon of some sort and I event saw somewhere that its name could come from Wyvern). The Fighting subtype is a guess based on the fact that its wings and tail have giant finger-like protrusions that could roll up into fists and pack one hell of a punch. However, it could also be a Dark type judging by the overall dark color scheme.
i think Yveltal is the one who will be Dark/Electric type while Xerneas will be Normal/Steel. But it would be very interesting if one of them has a Ghost/Steel as type combined with levitate ability
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:07 AM
François
#FutureHoennRemakesMod
Community Supporter

A Normal/Steel legend, really? That would be... quite the disappointing typing.

Electric/Dark and Flying/Dark sound good to me. Would be interesting if both legends were part dark - possible plot device?

Old January 20th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Guy
just a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by François View Post
A Normal/Steel legend, really? That would be... quite the disappointing typing.

Electric/Dark and Flying/Dark sound good to me. Would be interesting if both legends were part dark - possible plot device?
I agree, to give Xerneas a typing like Normal/Steel would seem quite bland. Not to mention, it'll have a terrible weakness against Fighting types. I personally can't stop thinking it may end up Grass/Steel or Grass/Psychic though.

However, the two mascots sharing a typing, Dark as you mentioned, wouldn't be out of the question. The number of mascots that already share the Dragon type together has truthfully gone overboard. Shared Dark-types would be a welcome change in my opinion.
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I want to remind everyone that the Musketeers are forest-dwellers(iirc?) but none of them are grass-types, so maybe Yveltal isn't a grass type at all~!
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM
sρεcтяα
Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to sρεcтяα
I like both of them - they appeal to me a lot more than Reshiram and Zekrom did, although not quite as much as Dialga and Palkia - although I can't take Xerneas seriously...it just looks too much like the forest spirit from Princess Mononoke. Every time I see it, the drums start pounding in my head. I'll almost certainly be naming it "A****aka" when I get it.

Yveltal has an interesting design, but to be honest my interest in it will die completely if it turns out to be yet another dragon-type, because I am absolutely sick to death of dragon legendaries. I'd like to see a more interesting type combination for it...one that doesn't involve being a dragon.
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:36 PM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Im still convinced they won't do fancy dual types on mascots.

Not yet...

I mean, there is no need for them to resort to exotic combos for the main legendaries.

Think about it.

All they did in the past 5 generations (thats 11 epic legendaries) was go for ONE ELEMENTAL TYPE
Every single one of these that was dual typed, was either
-Flying for common sense
-Dragon for epicness.

Psychic / Flying
Fire / Flying

Ground
Water
Dragon / Flying

Water / Dragon
Steel / Dragon
Ghost / Dragon

Dragon / Fire
Dragon / Electric
Dragon / Ice

And with
1. there still being plenty of types left that werent personified on a game cover yet
2. Yveltal highly likely to be another /Flying anyway

I'm very confident they'll both embody just one type we haven't seen yet.

Xerneas could turn out to be plenty of things, from pure Psychic to pure Steel...but my bet is still on pure Grass
And Yveltal screams Dark, so Dark/Flying until I see any reason to think otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
I want to remind everyone that the Musketeers are forest-dwellers(iirc?) but none of them are grass-types, so maybe Yveltal isn't a grass type at all~!
Eh, two of them are found in caves...in BW2 all three are found in the middle of roads basically..
They have a special relation to a moor in the northwest.

Xerneas stands in front of a forest of huge trees in the trailer, and if they do represent life and death, Grass is the most "life" type I can think off.

Last edited by MiTjA; January 20th, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Eh, two of them are found in caves...in BW2 all three are found in the middle of roads basically..
They have a special relation to a moor in the northwest.

Xerneas stands in front of a forest of huge trees in the trailer, and if they do represent life and death, Grass is the most "life" type I can think off.
They were originally forest-dwellers until their forest got burned down, I believe, then they went towards caves. In B2/W2, I suppose you could go as far as to say that they were just about homeless, pretty much being roaming, traveling Pokemon in search of a strong trainer to be with.

I mean, I guess I'm trying to tie this in with Xerneas and say that it might be a type other than grass, but live in a forest area that it calls "home".
Old January 20th, 2013, 01:09 PM
The_Mew

Lol, almost everybody wants Yveltal, but i want Xerneas. Grass for the win! (And if it isn't grass, then still, any of his other possible types, like psychic and steel are also pretty awesome) Also, a pure normal type legendary would be awesomeness..

Last edited by The_Mew; January 20th, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Hikamaru
The Sea Otter Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Why have I not posted here yet?

I have to say I do love the designs of these two, Xerneas' antlers are extremely colorful and Yveltal just looks plain badass. I've been fangirling over them already, alongside the starters.

However, as for their types I could see Xerneas being Steel/Psychic (it sorta looks metallic) while Yveltal probably would be Dark/Flying. I just don't imagine Xerneas looking like a Grass-type.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | supporter

Old January 21st, 2013, 03:49 AM
shivamwazhere
Unhatched Egg

Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Umm Virizion is a grass type .....
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:27 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamwazhere View Post
Umm Virizion is a grass type .....
Yeah and the only one of them found in a forest xD

Sponsored Links

Advertise here