The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Pokemon X 153 34.85%
Pokemon Y 194 44.19%
Both 92 20.96%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Forever
let it go

Advertise here
@ Archeops: Just use the (at the top of the posting box) and right click the image you want to add, then copy the "copy image URL" into the thread, for the future!

Also @ Derk, slower weather starter puts up sun, weakens water spout, gg.

(actually idk if it can, but ya)

Nevertheless, I dunno, I just picture Xerneas as more offensive because it's skinnier and seems more like Virizion, etc. :x Yveltal just reminds me of Mandibuzz, thus defensive comes into mind there.
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:04 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Giratina's a Basilisk btw.
If they do a Bug/Dragon I imagine it to look something like Grima from Fire Emblem Awakening, that thing looks quite bug like for a Dragon.

Perhaps neither of them will have a type advantage over the other unlike Charzard versus Venusaur (or Blastoise over Charzard), and Kyogre over Groudon. I believe they left it out in Gen IV as neither space or time is better, and same with Yin and Yang which aren't enemies, those being interlinked while the starter mascots had the rivally going on, and water on earth exceeds the land. If that's why than I'll suggest they make them neutral against one another to prevent the unfortunate implication that X chromosome beats Y or vise versa. However if they do, than make X the stronger one...jk.
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
If they do a Bug/Dragon I imagine it to look something like Grima from Fire Emblem Awakening, that thing looks quite bug like for a Dragon.

Perhaps neither of them will have a type advantage over the other unlike Charzard versus Venusaur (or Blastoise over Charzard), and Kyogre over Groudon. I believe they left it out in Gen IV as neither space or time is better, and same with Yin and Yang which aren't enemies, those being interlinked while the starter mascots had the rivally going on, and water on earth exceeds the land. If that's why than I'll suggest they make them neutral against one another to prevent the unfortunate implication that X chromosome beats Y or vise versa. However if they do, than make X the stronger one...jk.
Unless water beats the one that beats the other one!! Assuming that the third one is water, which would even up Yveltal being more powerful than Xerneas if that's the case~~
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:01 PM
C4RT3RTV
Unhatched Egg

Xerneas indeed does have a resemblance to Virzion making you think it would possibly have identical stats to it but Xerneas might be more defensive with it's possibly unique typing.
Old February 25th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Archeops12354
Smoochum

Quote:

You're right, Grima would make a MUCH better Bug/Dragon type.

If Xerneas is Psychic/Steel and Yveltal is Dark/Flying, neither will have a type advantage. Steel has normal effectiveness against Yveltal and psychic has no effect, dark has normal effectiveness against Xerneas and flying is not very effective against it, so they are both balanced out.
Bug/Dragon could be a problem though, as flying type moves (Yveltal's type) are super effective against it, whereas bug and dragon do normal damage against Yveltal. Of course, they could balance this out by giving the Bug/Dragon a higher base stat total.

I should put up a picture of Grima so you all know what I'm talking about.

I should put up a picture of Grima so you all know what I'm talking about. Sorry it's really big!!!!! Zoom out to see the whole pic (control +)

Spoiler:

Gen 6.

Last edited by Guy; March 1st, 2013 at 04:01 AM. Reason: ERMEGERSH! Spoiler tags for the huge image.
Old February 25th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Community Supporter

Such a beautiful dragon indeed (no I'm not a Grimleaf...), a Bug/Dragon would give Giratina and Kyurem a run for their money.

You're right about Dragon being weak against Steel...though as you said they could give it a high BST like Rayquaza.
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:35 PM
IvanSky07
Unhatched Egg

I'm curious on what types are they, but I also have my own speculation.
As everyone says, I also think that Yveltal would be a Dark-Flying type.
And about Xerneas.. Um.. I think it would be a Fighting-Metal Type.

And I prefer Xerneas than Yveltal. :D
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I feel like Yveltal might be a Flying/Psychic or Dragon/Psychic just based off of appearances, but it's appearance and color scheme sort of screams those types to me. I honestly have no idea of what types Xerneas might be. I'm not sure if it's just the shadows from the pictures, but it has a Dark-type appearance to it. Maybe dual-typed with Ground, Dark, or Grass?
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
I myself, wanna know what Xerneas and Yveltals abilities are going to be. Do you think Game Freak is just going to give them Pressure, or will they have new custom-fit abilities that match their theming, like what Reshiram and Zekrom got with their Mold Breaker knock off abilities?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I feel like Yveltal might be a Flying/Psychic or Dragon/Psychic just based off of appearances, but it's appearance and color scheme sort of screams those types to me. I honestly have no idea of what types Xerneas might be. I'm not sure if it's just the shadows from the pictures, but it has a Dark-type appearance to it. Maybe dual-typed with Ground, Dark, or Grass?
It is possible that Xerneas will be Dark seeing how the forest in Europe was connected with mystery, and death. Actually there's fairy tails that were made to keep children from going into the forest (think about how the people of Unova didn't approach the Giant Chasm due to the story, perhaps they'll do another one like that for Xerneas).

Perhaps it'll be Dark/Steel. Yvetal could be Psychic/Fire then.
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
It is possible that Xerneas will be Dark seeing how the forest in Europe was connected with mystery, and death. Actually there's fairy tails that were made to keep children from going into the forest (think about how the people of Unova didn't approach the Giant Chasm due to the story, perhaps they'll do another one like that for Xerneas).

Perhaps it'll be Dark/Steel. Yvetal could be Psychic/Fire then.
That would definitely make sense for Xerneas. I had no idea that France had that sort of thing going for it, so Dark definitely makes sense. I'm not totally sold on the Steel typing though. And I feel like another Psychic/Fire legendary right after Victini would be redundant as well.
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Community Supporter

Well Rock could work too as those horns look like of rock like to me tbh. Dark/Rock could work. Perhaps both legends will be part Dark. Xerneas Dark/Rock, and Yvetal is Dark/Flying.
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
That's also possible too, since Dialga and Palkia as well as Giratina shared a type in Gen IV, and they did the same thing with Reshiram and Zekrom, so their types don't have to be too different. Assuming they are Dark, it would be safe to assume that Yveltal is of course, Flying and Xerneas seems more like Dark/Steel, but Rock could work, too, I suppose. /shrugs.
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
That's also possible too, since Dialga and Palkia as well as Giratina shared a type in Gen IV, and they did the same thing with Reshiram and Zekrom, so their types don't have to be too different. Assuming they are Dark, it would be safe to assume that Yveltal is of course, Flying and Xerneas seems more like Dark/Steel, but Rock could work, too, I suppose. /shrugs.
Personally I would perfer it be Dark/Steel myself rather than Dark/Rock, it just seems like a much better combo to me.
Also the Johto birds both had Flying. The only mascots with a relationship share at least one type (not counting Suicune as it's relationship is more of a minion to Ho-oh rather than an equal) except for those of Gen 1 and Gen 3's Hoenn games but that's because of the unique trios they had.
Perhaps the third could could be Water/Dark sea serpent.
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:56 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
Quote:
It is possible that Xerneas will be Dark seeing how the forest in Europe was connected with mystery, and death. Actually there's fairy tails that were made to keep children from going into the forest...
Mystery and death.... what logic did you apply to end up with Dark? I mean, both of those scream Ghost.

I doubt its either of the two though.
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Them both being part Dark type is a good assumption. I can see Skybacon being part Dark, but Jingledeer... it's possible, considering recent legendary duos shared types.

I'm still sure that Skybacon is Dark/Flying though.
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTjA View Post
Mystery and death.... what logic did you apply to end up with Dark? I mean, both of those scream Ghost.

I doubt its either of the two though.
Well in many cultures darkness is linked with Death and mystery which they associated the forests with, including the french culture. However you have a point, it can be ghost as well (despite it's apperance which seems more dark than ghost tbh).
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:58 AM
Forever
let it go

The only way it can be ghost is if it's dead and I don't think it looks dead because nothing else really shows it looking "ghostly". Yveltal is the better candidate for dark, but yet still not for ghost. Ghost types just generally have a different kind of appeal that's hard to explain.
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:44 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
The only way it can be ghost is if it's dead and I don't think it looks dead because nothing else really shows it looking "ghostly". Yveltal is the better candidate for dark, but yet still not for ghost. Ghost types just generally have a different kind of appeal that's hard to explain.
Nica hit the nail on this one, guys.

When you look at your standard Ghost-type, say, Gengar, what do you see? It obviously looks like a Ghost, right? Something that's undead. Ghost-types throughout the generations have remained relatively unchanged, and have a certain flair about them that is quite difficult to explain, but fairly easy to notice. I suppose you could say that Ghost types such as Golurk are an exception, but there are even some noticible traits of Ghost-types in even Golurk, such as it's creepy eyes, or the general creepiness surrounding it. When you look at others such as Misdreavus/Mismagius, Sableye, Banette, and others, there's really not that much of a difference.

That being said though, I believe it's a dead giveaway that Yveltal is Dark, but I wouldn't be so sure about that. Ghost Pokemon also have somewhat of an evil aura about them, and it's also noticable that Yveltal seems to have that evil aura about it as well. With that pointed out, it could be said that Yveltal is Dark/Ghost, but I find this hard to believe because it has to have a unique ability of it's own, and not Levitate, otherwise this would be the most plausible theory in my mind, it seems.

Xerneas on the other hand, is more difficult to discern because while clips have shown it being in a Forest, I see nothing "grass"-y about it. Look at every single grass-type there is and you'd notice that there's some sort of bodily appendage linking it to being a grass-type, and usually it's one of two things: they're usually dark green(or part of their body is), or they have leaves of some sort on their body. I find it hard to believe that Xerneas is grass without seeing these two very special things that every single grass Pokemon so far, has. Even if it was part grass, you would notice something about it that would scream "oh hey, it's a grass Pokemon!"

I'm more inclined to believe that it's either Steel/Rock(which I'm not sure actually makes for a good typing. 4x Fighting and 4x Ground weak is a huge turn-off), Steel/Psychic(seems a bit more plausible, but nothing really screaming "psychic"), or a type having something to do with Steel, or possibly Rock. One or the other.
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:20 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Just to try and speculate Xerneas's and Yveltal's typing, perhaps maybe we can look at the possible theories that these two are based from. Going along with the theory of genetics and some speculation I saw the web, I made speculation about their typing earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this, or have speculated this, but I saw an interesting theory by some fans on the web.

If we're still going along with the whole 'biology' theme of this pokemon game, perhaps these theories can shed a little light on what their types might be. Well, look - A neuron is an electrically excitable cell that processes and transmits information to the brain through electrical and chemical signals. So, Xerneas, representing that 'neuron' could potentially be an electric type! (with the key word 'electrically'). As for it's secondary type? Well, that can be in the air; it can be anything, imo. One of the types I'm leaning more towards is grass, because, well, I'm thinking that the trailer provided a sort of hint that it might be a grass type, because it was conveniently in a forest. Then again, it could also be a steel type, because its art sorta... 'looks' resembled from Dialga, maybe it can also be Psychic, since it miiight fit in with it's natural ability of making it's horns glow vibrant colors, or with this possible neuron theme.

As for Yvental, I guess from the theory that it can represent muscles and blood, could it be some sort of Dark or Water type? Well, even though blood is thicker than water, it -is- still technically a liquid. Then again, maybe it can be a poison type too? Since 'poison' can be an adaptable substance like toxic chemicals. As for muscles, well, fighting types pretty much resemble muscles, so could that be a possibility? Then again, I'm also leaning more towards it being a Dark / Flying type as well, from my primary... speculations.

Maybe their types can be something like that?
But now, I'd like to take a look at another theory -- the Norse theory,

Quote:
on which, maybe that can be another clue on both of their typings? Let's see... Asgard, home to the gods, is the first of these worlds. Asgard is located at the top of Yggdrasil, also home to a divine eagle. This eagle is said to be blind, but graced with the ability to see into the souls of all Yggdrasil’s creatures from all nine realms. The majestic Yveltal reminds us of this eagle due to its avian features and “legendary” powers. Furthermore, as people and animals go blind, their eyes tend to develop a tinge of blue. Yveltal’s eyes are a shocking light blue, as seen in the game’s trailer, implying that it may be blind and/or have the ability to see into the souls of people and Pokémon.
So, I'm thinking that "the ability to see souls" might be a clue. Souls definitely remind me Psychic, Ghost, and Dark types. I'm leaning more towards Ghost and Dark for Yveltal, so maybe it can be one of those types; Ghost or Dark, because of it's color scheme of having Dark colors. Then again, Gamefreak might throw a curve ball and call it a "Psychic" type, which can be interesting as well. I think Flying type is a given for it's secondary type. I mean, it has wings and... it flies. Or maybe it's one of those weird pokemon that flies, but does not have a flying type. Although, I find that weird and... not very likely.

Quote:
As for Xerneas, The middle of Yggdrasil(the trunk and ground), where Midguard is located, lives four mythical stags (deer) named Dainn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Durapror. All of the stages are said to have horns the shapes of Yggdrasil’s tall branches so that they too may feel as if they lived high in the tree. Each stag also yields a different colored jewel in their horn. Dainn has a blue jewel, Dvalinn a crimson jewel, Duneyrr a stone of the sun (yellow) and Durapror a stone of the night (purple/black). It is also said that the stags crane their necks upward to chomp at the branches and pick apart the leaves. The Legendary Pokemon Xerneas is indeed not only a stag (deer), but it’s antlers are in the shape of many branches. Among Xerneas antlers (branches) there appear to be different colors (gems, lights, ect..) and in the trailer the colors red, blue, and yellow can be seen quite clearly. It also seems that most artist renditions of Xerneas floating around the internet have purple in it’s horns as well. Could Xerneas be the incarnation of the four stags in one? It seems very possible. Xerneas also appears to have no wings, which means it is stuck on the ground in a horizontal world.. representing X. The X axis is seen as the horizontal planeon the “ground” and this could also be another hint towards Pokemon X truly having Xerneas as it’s legendary.
But what does this mean for it's typing? Well, this is a stretch, but, the different colors it has reminds me of Beheeyem, so could it be some sort of Psychic type? Then again, Beheeyem is sort of classified as an alien, so, maybe it's colors are just a representation of it's alien status. It's secondary typing can be... tricky to predict. Yuvental is high upon a higher plane, so, I see that Xerneas's secondary typing has to associate on being on the ground. What if it can be some sort of grass type? It can be interesting as it can be assosicated with trees, forests, etc. Although... Celebi is a grass and Psychic type because of associations with Time Travel and forests, so maybe that would be redundant? Or, maybe it's just a single type pokemon? Could it be a steel or rock type, because of Xerneas's possible associations with jewels? That can be quite a stretch, but... yeah. Like Derk said, I'm leaning for it to be some sort rock or steel type myself, which... it's typing when it comes to competitive might be interesting to see, but who knows how attractive it can be.

*oh and was referenced from another website*

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie

Last edited by Miss Doronjo; March 7th, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:56 AM
Community Supporter

Pokémon associated with gems...well if we compare to past gem related Pokémon we got Sableye,Dialga, and Palkia,Spoink and evo. So it can be Dark, Psychic, Steel, Water (I doubt it), and Ghost...maybe.
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:55 AM
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Yveltal looks Dark/Flying to me, it being a scary bird, or even Dark/Dragon like Deino's evolutionary line. Not too sure what Xerneas is, but I think it's part Normal and maybe part Steel or Dark. I don't think there's been a Normal/Dark or Normal/Steel combo before.
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:00 PM
IvanSky07
Unhatched Egg

The elk-eqsue dear is Xerneas. Oh, I wish to have him someday. I wonder what type/s is he?
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:25 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanSky07 View Post
The elk-eqsue dear is Xerneas. Oh, I wish to have him someday. I wonder what type/s is he?
Unlike Yveltal, Xerneas is definitely the more obscure one when it comes to the matter of typing. I personally think it's going to be a Grass/Steel or Grass/Psychic type, but if Yveltal turns out Dark/Flying, then that leaves Xerneas with a large weakness against its counterpart. Hopefully we'll learn their typing soon enough though.
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:00 PM
Community Supporter

I'll be disappointed if Yvetal were Dragon as it seems more flying than Dragon. Perhaps it'll be Dragon/Flying like Rayquaza or Psychic/Flying like Lugia... and Xerneas could be Steel/Dragon like Dialga, or Psychic/Grass like Celebi...personally I want Xerneas to have a new type combo but all the types we've guessed match up to older types...
Here's a suggestion, what if they're pure types like Blastoise,Pikachu, Groudon and Kyogre? Xerneas maybe pure steel or Psychic while Yvetal could be pure flying...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here