The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Pokemon X 153 34.85%
Pokemon Y 194 44.19%
Both 92 20.96%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Itstoppedatumbreon
Destroying Zubats since 1996

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Itstoppedatumbreon

Advertise here
I think Yveltal is Flying/Dark, and Xerneas is Ice psychic, seen as Ice beats flying, but dark beats psychic. Balanced
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstoppedatumbreon View Post
I think Yveltal is Flying/Dark, and Xerneas is Ice psychic, seen as Ice beats flying, but dark beats psychic. Balanced
Would be plausible, but there's nothing on Xerneas' body that would indicate that it's an ice-type whatsoever. D: When you look at Ice Pokemon, they usually look...frozen (if that's a good word to describe them)? Some part of them would either be covered in ice, or there's something about their appearance that says they belong more in icy mountains than anywhere else.

Since we see Xerneas in a forest rather than in an icy climate, I think it's safe that we can rule out ice type, I think.
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Itstoppedatumbreon
Destroying Zubats since 1996

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Itstoppedatumbreon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Would be plausible, but there's nothing on Xerneas' body that would indicate that it's an ice-type whatsoever. D: When you look at Ice Pokemon, they usually look...frozen (if that's a good word to describe them)? Some part of them would either be covered in ice, or there's something about their appearance that says they belong more in icy mountains than anywhere else.

Since we see Xerneas in a forest rather than in an icy climate, I think it's safe that we can rule out ice type, I think.
My reasoining was the mist around him in the forest (also could suggest ghost maybe?) and to a lesser extent the blue colouring. Oh well, just a though!
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:

Well... it could be a rain forest where it's really cold and parts of it has frozen due to being there for so long??
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Quote:
I also think Ice is rather unlikely, Grass or Ghost would make more sense. And rain forest are usually pretty hot and humid, not cold. I guess if the trailer shows him in a frozen forest, then Ice would be pretty much possible

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Maybe it's antlers could be a suggestion for an Ice type? They almost look icicle-ish, and being multicolored could be from the light shining through them? Possible but I don't really see it happening to be honest.
Old March 18th, 2013, 12:23 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstoppedatumbreon View Post
Water>Ground

Their match-up is irrelevant.
Old March 18th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
Maybe it's antlers could be a suggestion for an Ice type? They almost look icicle-ish, and being multicolored could be from the light shining through them? Possible but I don't really see it happening to be honest.
That's actually a very interesting thought, and it even makes a lot of sense. I still think it's rather unlikely...i guess his antlers could be made of crystals or any other material that breaks light.
I'd be really surprised if he turned out to be an Ice type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTjA View Post
Water>Ground

Their match-up is irrelevant.
Now this i can totally agree with. Just because the legendaries in DPPt and B/W all were dragons (thus being super effective against their counterparts), if you take away the dragon part, their second type is pretty much neutral or even not very effective. If we look back at past gens, legendaries didn't have balanced types, Kyogre and Groudon being the best example.

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Neeni
Stage On!

Nature: Naughty
aren't legendy pokes names getting harder to pronounce or what? xD
anyways I was BLOWN when I saw the new legends! they're really majestic and excellent looking~ I'm going for Yveltal though since I think it looks a lot more original than Xerneas and just very catchy

about their types, I think GF is taking a new direction, making the typing very unclear from the looks of the pokemon. no one can really tell! but personally I think they will be:

Yveltal: Flying/Dark
Xerneas: Psychic/Ice

or at least that's what I want to see

tumblr | twitter | instagram
Old March 18th, 2013, 04:14 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorogami View Post
That's actually a very interesting thought, and it even makes a lot of sense. I still think it's rather unlikely...i guess his antlers could be made of crystals or any other material that breaks light.
I'd be really surprised if he turned out to be an Ice type.

Now this i can totally agree with. Just because the legendaries in DPPt and B/W all were dragons (thus being super effective against their counterparts), if you take away the dragon part, their second type is pretty much neutral or even not very effective. If we look back at past gens, legendaries didn't have balanced types, Kyogre and Groudon being the best example.
Kyogre and Groudon are the only legendary mascot example however, the rest have all been balanced. The only other mascots who haven't been balanced are the non-legendary Kanto starters final evolutions (Charzard having two types that beat Venusaur's primary type). Also Kyogre beating Groudon makes sense as there's more water than land. While if the chromosomes legends had one that beat the other it would create an unfortunate implication, which no one wants.
Old March 18th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
The only other mascots who haven't been balanced are the non-legendary Kanto starters final evolutions
If they count for anything, Mewtwo and Mew also aren't "balanced", and they're pretty much the same type. Though I see that unlikely to happen with these legendaries.
Old March 18th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
however, the rest have all been balanced
They are only balanced because they are all dragons...take that away, their types seem pretty randomly chosen, no real balance there, at least not like people want Xerneas and Yveltal to be.

Old March 18th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I think that the implication of the potential chromosome theory and genetics themes and with the X chromosome being better than Y or vice-versa, which is why people kind of want to keep them balanced. It could just have backlash that people don't want. I mean although it's not really saying that, it just makes sense from a PR standpoint if this is the case to make them balanced =P
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:16 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
I still find it so strange that Nintendo haven't revealed their typing yet. Or the typing of Sylveon, for that matter. I'm pretty sure I remember Dialga and Palkia's typings to've been revealed relatively early after the announcement of DP, and the same goes for Reshiram and Zekrom.

Looking at Yveltal, it's hard to say that it could be anything but partially Flying, and considering it's colour scheme and general appearance, I'd say it'd be Dark too. I wouldn't complain if it were Dragon instead of Flying, but I'm good either way.

Xerneas... It's pretty hard to give a guess. I'd actually want to say Steel and Psychic, but really that's just me, going by certain aspects of its appearance.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
The mascots never had any real balance. I don't know what you guys are talking about XD

Gen 2: Lugia, although was Psychic/Flying learned Water attacks naturally giving him a distinctive edge over Ho-oh who was Fire/Flying.

Gen 3: Groundon was weak to Kyogre due to Groudon beinf Ground typed and Kyogre being Water. You can say that ability wise they cancel each other out, but that is situational arguement. If Kyogre is slower than Groudon, Drizzle takes priority giving Kyogre an even further advantage. Even with Sun up, Groudon still taked STAB'd weakness from Kyogre.

Gen 4: Dialga is Steel and Dragon. His type match up gives him a very unique advantage over Palkia as he resists Water due to being part Dragon and his Steel's resistance cancels out his Dragon Weakness. So Dialga is not weak to Dragon attacks. Palkia on the other hand resists Steel due to being a water type, but is weak to Dragon. Dialga has the advantage over Palkia.

Gen 5: The only Generation where the two main mascots do not hinder one another by type or move pool. Electric and fire don't resist one another although Dragon resists both and each resist themselves. Reshiram is weak to more common attack types such as Ground and Rock, while Zekrom has to deal with Ground and Ice. So until Gen 5, the mascots were never on equal footing.

Xerneas being Psychic and Yveltal being Dark is quite possible. All type combinations are quite possible since we've only ever had one pair that was neutral towards one another.

I'd prefer a less Darkrai/Cresselia relationship though. We don't even know what they each stand for. There is the rumored Life and Death, but those are very morbid themes for a Pokemon Game. Not that its impossible, just not very likely. Xerneas could be an Ice type despite being in a forest. If the forest was near a mountain or cave, it fits in with a good deal of ice types that are found in a semi wooded area before a cave, near a mountain, or in the center of a mountain/mountain valley.

Too many unknowns about both to say anything is solid.
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
The mascots never had any real balance. I don't know what you guys are talking about XD

Gen 2: Lugia, although was Psychic/Flying learned Water attacks naturally giving him a distinctive edge over Ho-oh who was Fire/Flying.

Gen 3: Groundon was weak to Kyogre due to Groudon beinf Ground typed and Kyogre being Water. You can say that ability wise they cancel each other out, but that is situational arguement. If Kyogre is slower than Groudon, Drizzle takes priority giving Kyogre an even further advantage. Even with Sun up, Groudon still taked STAB'd weakness from Kyogre.

Gen 4: Dialga is Steel and Dragon. His type match up gives him a very unique advantage over Palkia as he resists Water due to being part Dragon and his Steel's resistance cancels out his Dragon Weakness. So Dialga is not weak to Dragon attacks. Palkia on the other hand resists Steel due to being a water type, but is weak to Dragon. Dialga has the advantage over Palkia.

Gen 5: The only Generation where the two main mascots do not hinder one another by type or move pool. Electric and fire don't resist one another although Dragon resists both and each resist themselves. Reshiram is weak to more common attack types such as Ground and Rock, while Zekrom has to deal with Ground and Ice. So until Gen 5, the mascots were never on equal footing.
^This is what i was talking about, just less detailed
But Xander is completely right, there has never been a "true" balance between the legendaries...

I've recently watched the trailer again, and i have to say, now that i've seen that mist sourrounding Xerneas again, he really might be an Ice type more likely than i originally thought.
As for Life/Death being a theme, i think It's quite possible, as long as the games talk about it in a symbolic or "kid-friendly" way.

Old March 20th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Xerneas as an Ice-type? Hmmm...

I wouldn't rule out the possibility, but from the trailer it seemed to imply that he dwelled deep within a forest. The mist could have simply been used as a way to make it all feel very mysterious.
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Forever
let it go

Well... actually, what if Xerneas is fighting/steel, and based on forme it changes to Ice/Steel, and Grass/Steel, while Yveltal would be Dark/Flying, Dark/Dragon and Dark/Fire! idk I like the idea of being able to fit in all the relative typings into one :3
Old March 20th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Community Supporter

Perhaps Xerneas is Psychic/Fighting, while Yvetal is Dark/Flying or Dark/Dragon.
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:21 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Well... actually, what if Xerneas is fighting/steel, and based on forme it changes to Ice/Steel, and Grass/Steel, while Yveltal would be Dark/Flying, Dark/Dragon and Dark/Fire! idk I like the idea of being able to fit in all the relative typings into one :3
As annoying as it is to constantly give legendaries different forms, I actually wouldn't mind this. xD; Though I think there should be a more original type than Fighting/Steel consdering we already have Cobalion/Lucario for that. @_@
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:28 AM
Forever
let it go

Well fighting/steel probably wouldn't be the base forme of it. Maybe the base forme changes between games!
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:45 AM
Community Supporter

I wouldn't like them to change formes tbh.
Perhaps Xerneas is part Ghost as Ghosts can have mist surround them sort of like Giratina's place in DP...
Or maybe Xerneas is simply pure Steel. We haven't had a pure type mascot since RS, since Emerald they've all (not counting HgSs) been duel types with one of those types being Dragon.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:52 AM
Forever
let it go

Just steel would make like, 100% sense imo. I'd love to think it's a dual-typed Pokemon so it's creative but Steel makes SO MUCH SENSE because it outright doesn't fit into anything else. So yes, I'm for this!
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:34 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

It would be pretty interesting if GF decided to pull a Gen III and give them singular types, but that probably won't happen since Yveltal is pretty much a blatant dual-type, and there hasn't at least been one game where the main mascots weren't "one or the other" as far as dual-types/single-typed goes.
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:37 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I am so over having form-changing legendaries. It's gotten to the point where it's just being absued now. The Kami Trio didn't need them at all, and I don't think Keldeo did either, especially the change is so minor. Giving Kyurem it's forms I thought was just silly too. I mean I get it was the entire plot of the story, but I still didn't like it at all =P. Shaymin's at least made sense and was given backstory.

So no, I don't want Xerneas and Yveltal to change forms =P

Sponsored Links

Advertise here