The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Pokemon X 153 34.85%
Pokemon Y 194 44.19%
Both 92 20.96%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:07 PM
Magmaruby and Aquasapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn

Nature: Calm
Thus far only Gen 1 had a Duel and a single type mascot pair however that was for the International versions...so Japan has had them all match, I guess that point would make Xerneas less likely to be a pure type due to Yvetal's appearance as a duel type...unless they stray away and do another Gen 1 Int version. Or maybe Yvetal is Dark and has levitate as it's ability...it would be trolling of GF if that was true but than again Darkrai is pure Dark rather than Dark/Ghost, and Elektross isn't part water...
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:26 PM
Forever

Well if they were single types, Yveltal could be just dark. I mean, Darkrai is dark and can float, soooo.

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:13 PM
Solace
simon ferocious

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Solace
I don't want either to change formes or types, either. I'm tired of this 'we as developers can't decide on types that will make us and the public happy, so we'll just make a new item/attack/ability that lets them change to x at will!' stuff we've been getting the past couple of generations. The alternate formes thing was enjoyable when it was a new concept but it's starting to get old, at least to me.
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:30 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.

Nature: Gentle
For me personally, I suppose I don't mind alternate forms. Are they starting to get old? Possibly, but to me, there has to be a purpose behind those said forms. I mean, why was it necessary that the Kami trio needed one? I mean, I suppose they all were doing fine without them?

I just want them to all have a reason, is what I'm saying, and not being made just for the heck of it.
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
For me personally, I suppose I don't mind alternate forms. Are they starting to get old? Possibly, but to me, there has to be a purpose behind those said forms. I mean, why was it necessary that the Kami trio needed one? I mean, I suppose they all were doing fine without them?

I just want them to all have a reason, is what I'm saying, and not being made just for the heck of it.
I think that generation V should've explained those forms better, as it makes sense as Gods have both human and animal forms in some myths. Also Generation IV/s were well explained, and so were generation III's with Castform's thing being adapting to the weather, and Deoxys to it's environment, and Giratina having different formes between realms as Anti-matter would explode in this realm...so I saw it as it turning to a forme more suitable for this world.

Anyways on topic, I would like it if the two legends were masters like Gen II's mascots.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:11 AM
Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
I don't want either to change formes or types, either. I'm tired of this 'we as developers can't decide on types that will make us and the public happy, so we'll just make a new item/attack/ability that lets them change to x at will!' stuff we've been getting the past couple of generations. The alternate formes thing was enjoyable when it was a new concept but it's starting to get old, at least to me.
It would give the games longevity though, as they can release forme events, etc, and GF likes that, so mascot formes isn't completely out of the picture.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
Jake♫
« Allons-y »

Nature: Lax
It doesn't really increase longevity though. It releases a new form. That's it. It doesn't add anything new for the games itself other than a new form. There's no new gameplay, nothing exciting. Plus, if Unova was any indication we're not going to get any backstory for new forms, other than maybe a three minute explanation. I'd rather be given some sort of DLC with some new content before I'd take new forms.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:11 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.

I think, with that all being said, I think it is highly unlikely that Xerneas as well as Yveltal would even get alternate forms. Assuming there's a third Pokemon to complete the trio, the third Pokemon might get one, but that's way off into the future, and I can see that specific Pokemon being the only one out of the three to have any chance of getting any form changes whatsoever. D:

I mean...I suppose the question to ask is: What could they change to? .___.;
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:40 PM
Forever

Who knows, they could put more time into discussing "sometimes Yveltal appeared with another forme and scared off all that opposed it..." or something along those lines? Like the back story could be extended upon.

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:20 AM

I'll imagine that Gf would've hinted at them having new formes like they did with Kyurem shortly before the reveal of B2W2. Thus far however there doesn't seem to be much...imo there's more of a chance that they'll get a new type than formes...
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Forever

Well they are holding back on information and maybe they're not trying to overwhelm us, and will tell us at a later point that they have alternate formes!
Old March 24th, 2013, 04:27 PM

Maybe both of them will be part Ghost. Xerneas could be our much awaited Ghost/Steel, and Yvetal our latest Ghost/Flying since Drifblim.
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Well they are holding back on information and maybe they're not trying to overwhelm us, and will tell us at a later point that they have alternate formes!
A much later point, that is. Keep in mind that just about almost every single legendary that has ever had an alternate form had it's form announced pretty late in the game. Take Giratina for instance. It existed in D/P sure, but didn't have it's alternate form announced until Platinum. Gen V also went towards this route, Kyurem not having an alternate form until B2W2 were just about around the corner. The Kami trio were the same way also.

But it's also important to note that these Pokemon were also the "third" legendary Pokemon (except Kami trio), hence it seems like they're usually the ones to get alternate forms, rather than the initial main mascots.
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:12 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
I think you guys are missing something with the "dual type or single type mascots" thing, which Ive already mentioned.

(I ignore gen I as there wasnt yet a plot and legend involved and all that just the freakin starters on the covers, nothing thought through yet, they just had to put something on)
Every mascot so far was either:
-single type (Ground, Water)
-+Flying (Psychic, Fire, Dragon)
-+Dragon (Steel, Water, Ghost, Fire, Electric, Ice)

(when you look whats missing: Normal, Grass, Fighting, Poison, Bug, Rock, Dark - I find it extremely surprising Grass hasnt seen the light yet.)

Dragon was added for epicness or because they ARE dragons
And Flying was added because it freakin flies

These are JUST COMMON SENSE DUAL TYPES, not "jesus christ its Psychic AND Electric holy ****."
Just as a mascot resembeling an insect would have been Bug!

From that view:
NO mascot was really a dual type pokemon.

They never have more than one "elemental" (for a lack of better word) type.

Therefore my reasoning for them being more likely again "pure" types:
-Grass
-Dark/Flying
(gamefreak wouldn't throw a fancy second type on Xerneas to make up for Yveltal being one, because the Flying part is just the common sense part, not the "oh my god its dual type" thing)

I'm not saying they would never make fancy dual types for legends, just probably not as long as there is still simple stuff to milk like.... pure Grass LOL

Last edited by MiTjA; March 25th, 2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.

Quote:
Therefore my reasoning for them being more likely again "pure" types:
-Grass
-Dark/Flying
But again, there has never been a main series Pokemon game in which the mascots have been "one or the other" when concerning whether they're single-typed or dual-typed. This meaning, there hasn't been a mascot which was single typed, and another one that was dual-typed. Either both of them were single-typed or double-typed.

Is it possible that they could break that tradition this generation? Very much so, but if you ask me, it's really doubtful. We can't really go with the theory that they're single typed, because Yveltal obviously has to be, in some shape or form, a flying type. But is it also Dark type, or Ghost? That we don't really know.

Xerneas doesn't look entirely like a grass-type, and instead looks something perhaps Ice/Steel, or something of that nature. Either way, it looks too vague to assume a single type out of it. o.o Though I see the only plausible one being Steel or Normal, but that is a far, far stretch.

..Though it'd be interesting, finally having a Normal mascot.
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:47 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Normal would be interesting to see indeed o:
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Forever

Normal... Neither of them really look normal so I would wonder where that'd fit in tbh.
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Echidna
Something Interesting

Nature: Brave
Hmm, a Normal type mascot. That would indeed be very interesting, though I'd prefer they not waste a sub-type on Normal when they can utilize it for something else. I DON'T EVEN KNOW OK.

Last edited by Echidna; March 25th, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.

Quote:
Normal... Neither of them really look normal so I would wonder where that'd fit in tbh.
Yeah, that's why I said it'd be quite a far stretch to even go as far as to say that one of them is even Normal-typed. xD; Though truth be told, I do agree with everyone else that having a normal-typed mascot wouldn't be too bad. :x
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:07 AM

Normal... hmm maybe Xerneas is Poison...we need a legend of that type, and mascot if we're not counting Venusaur here... however Poison is even less likely than Normal imo.
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:09 PM
VentusS
Unhatched Egg

the y verison legendary looks beast, however it looks quite odd when it's in ... Y formation...
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:54 PM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Quote:
A pokemon is given the Normal type when it has no other type association, there is no "Normal look", it is the absence of elemental features.

And given how no one seems to figure any type that others recognize, it even sounds like the most realistic possibility here (feels like the whole Sylveon dilemma now that I think about it LOL)...personally I thought it would be a conceptual Grass just like most of the other mascots don't show their type but it makes perfect sense in plot-context, but there is people suggesting about just every type from Electric, Ice, Steel, Psychic, being the more prominent ones..

Last edited by MiTjA; March 25th, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Jake♫
« Allons-y »

Nature: Lax
I think the difference here is that we all see aspects of those different typings, not the lack of any in particular. That's why I'm personally against it being Normal typed. It's definitely possible, but I don't see it happening. Plus, Normal typing doesn't really scream "legendary" to me, but then again we do have Meloetta (although it's dual-typed =P).

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:38 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I think the difference here is that we all see aspects of those different typings, not the lack of any in particular. That's why I'm personally against it being Normal typed. It's definitely possible, but I don't see it happening. Plus, Normal typing doesn't really scream "legendary" to me, but then again we do have Meloetta (although it's dual-typed =P).
And Arceus and Regigigas

Yeah, it probably won't be Normal, but the possibility is more realistic than say... Bug, Dragon or something.
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:15 AM

I will be speechless if Xerneas were Bug lol. Yeah those are the least likely along with Poison.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links