The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Pokemon X 153 34.85%
Pokemon Y 194 44.19%
Both 92 20.96%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 14th, 2013 (07:13 PM).
Whitney's Shaymin
Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I think xerneas looks like a Grass/Steel and Yvetal plain Dragon

"The Incredibly Pretty Girl"

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

FC: 4699-7156-4669 IGN: Gavin
Old April 14th, 2013 (07:13 PM).
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Xerneas looks amazing, the other one is pretty meh. But that's how I like it, for me there's been a main legendary with a way better design than the other since R/S/E which has made it easy for me to choose which version to buy.

Groudon > Kyogre, Dialga > Palkia, Reshiram > Zekrom

Ho-oh vs Lugia was a bit closer though. Anyway I'm happy with the designs for this reason.
I agree with you, almost, completely. The only difference is that I liked Kyogre's design more than Groudon's. So I purchased Sapphire.
Old April 14th, 2013 (08:06 PM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Maybe Xerneas and Yvetal are the ones behind evolution? As in real life evolution, not the metamorphosis kind. Maybe they're based on the idea that some superior creature at some point messed with Human's genes, giving them superior cognitive abilities compared to other animals. Maybe the villains will want to become superior, to become a physical god by using them to evolve further?
Old April 15th, 2013 (11:20 AM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Maybe Xerneas and Yvetal are the ones behind evolution? As in real life evolution, not the metamorphosis kind. Maybe they're based on the idea that some superior creature at some point messed with Human's genes, giving them superior cognitive abilities compared to other animals. Maybe the villains will want to become superior, to become a physical god by using them to evolve further?
I remember saying something about this before, perhaps on the previous page, but it'd be interesting to see if they're really the ones behind evolution, and how exactly they would cause it. I wonder what kind of impact they would have on the storyline, and if they would actually have any impact on evolutionary methods in this generation.

It's fascinating to think about this stuff, really! n_n
Old April 15th, 2013 (06:46 PM).
Community Supporter

Yeah it is. Some of this speculation would make good story ideas xD

Wonder if these two will be as connected as gen 3 and 4's mascots. Or if they'll be like Ho-oh and Lugia.
Old April 15th, 2013 (06:55 PM).
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Quote:
Yeah it is. Some of this speculation would make good story ideas xD

Wonder if these two will be as connected as gen 3 and 4's mascots. Or if they'll be like Ho-oh and Lugia.
Maybe or maybe not.

So judging from the name of the game X and Y. I'd say they are coordinates or variables, though I do think they're mostly variable related or something like a missing link sort of thingy. Yeah maybe they're the one that caused evolution to happen or something like that.
Old April 19th, 2013 (09:50 AM).
Community Supporter

I'm hoping Xerneas is Grass/Electric, and Yvetal is Dark/Flying. Though can also see Xerneas being Steel/Grass, Steel, Steel/Electric, Steel/Rock, Rock/Electric.
Old April 21st, 2013 (05:11 AM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
I think you're setting your expectations high by assuming they are both dual types just like that.
Old April 21st, 2013 (06:10 AM).
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
I'm not feeling the Xerneas being part grass type idea......I think it's more likely we could be looking at a Psychic/Steel type or possibly Electric/Steel? (It does look like it could use electric moves)

On the other hand maybe it won't be Steel at all and be a new type combination, Psychic/Electric? The heavy thud we heard in the trailer might be a red herring.

Yveltal looks to me like it's Dark/Flying.

If Xerneas was Psychic/Electric and Yveltal Dark/Flying they would complement each other fairly well. (They would both have some way to be super effective against the other)
Old April 21st, 2013 (08:30 AM).
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTjA View Post
I think you're setting your expectations high by assuming they are both dual types just like that.
But chances are they mos likely will be. Most other mascots have been dual typed. :x
Old April 21st, 2013 (11:35 AM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
But chances are they mos likely will be. Most other mascots have been dual typed. :x
with the "other" type being Flying or Dragon, which are both pretty much just common sense, not intentionally "omg lets make them fancy dual types"

they all always embody one distinct element.
That's why I think things like Electric/Psychic are over the top expectations. Especially when Yveltal is likely to be Dark...with Flying merely because it flies
Old April 21st, 2013 (02:56 PM).
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTjA View Post
Those are my desires, my expectations aren't always my desires and vise versa. I expect Xerneas to be pure Steel tbh (I even listed it in the post you quoted earlier).
Old April 21st, 2013 (03:01 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Dark/Flying is kind of a given it seems.....but imo, it seems that Xerneas is more of a Steel/Psychic, perhaps because of it's metallic-ish body? Take a moment to also realize that the top half of it's body is blue, which would also mean Dragon, but at the same time, there are no distinct physical features that would scream Dragon-type...
Old April 21st, 2013 (03:02 PM).
Fbn11
Unhatched Egg

Yveltal looks fantastic, the design is awesome
Old April 22nd, 2013 (03:41 AM). Edited April 22nd, 2013 by MiTjA.
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Quote:
Those are my desires, my expectations aren't always my desires and vise versa. I expect Xerneas to be pure Steel tbh (I even listed it in the post you quoted earlier).
Oh I missed it.
pure Steel somehow fits if Yveltal is Dark now that I think of it. Both being later superior additions of existing types in a way.

They're like the exotic ends on the type chart, Dark being a more aggresive and mean version of the more common Poison and Steel being the ultra defensive that Rock wasn't even really trying to be.

Reminds me think of Sableye and Mawile!
Note that although Sableye is also secondary Ghost, its main type is still Dark for being a creepy sneaky critter more than anything. And it could be the similar case with Xerneas and Yveltal being Steel and Dark respectively, but Yveltal having the extra Flying for common sense.

I like it!
And Steel doesn't only represent metals and alloys, but also an artificial subtheme, which might be appropriate depending on what role genetics play in this.

Ignoring everything we have, I wish we would see a main Grass mascot for once.. We've had Fire, Electric, Ice, Water and Ground, Psychic, Steel..even Ghost, but no Grass uber mascot? It seems like one of the obvious to do before resorting to more exotic things and unique combinations.
Xerneas is the closest we got so far, but who knows.
Old April 22nd, 2013 (08:29 AM).
Forever
let it go

Xerneas would have a big advantage over Xerneas though if it's steel, which... makes sense given it's light-ish and could represent good!
Old April 22nd, 2013 (01:35 PM).
Red99
World Champion

Nature: Rash
If rumors were true, and there really is going to be a light type, then I would guess Xerneas to be steel and light type. I also like the fact that it is based off of the forest guardian from 'Princess Mononoke'.

Don't listen to all those rumors about me, I'm just your average everyday Pokemon trainer!
Old April 22nd, 2013 (01:39 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Xerneas would have a big advantage over Xerneas though if it's steel, which... makes sense given it's light-ish and could represent good!
I'd personally prefer it if they were neutral to each other. If this was Light vs Dark, they will both forever clash with each other, with one not really going above the other.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (12:39 AM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Again,

Kyogre>Groudon.

Match up does not matter.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (12:43 AM).
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
Xerneas: Grass/Steel
Yveltal: Flying/Dark

Then neither has a type advantage (SE of Flying->Grass negated by Steel).

Forever battle of Light vs. Dark yay~

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 23rd, 2013 (05:46 AM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusshin View Post
Xerneas: Grass/Steel
Yveltal: Flying/Dark

Then neither has a type advantage (SE of Flying->Grass negated by Steel).

Forever battle of Light vs. Dark yay~
This I can definitely see happening, and would make a lot more sense given the whole Light vs Dark thing. xD

Though the sad part is that Xerneas would be 4x weak to fire, but oh well. u__u To be fair though, Steel does negate a lot of Grass' weaknesses, so the only weaknesses Xerneas would have is Fighting and Fire...
Old April 23rd, 2013 (10:39 AM).
Community Supporter

Yvetal will only be weak against Electric, Rock, and Ice, not bad for the two of them if those are to be their typings.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (12:10 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I can definitely see Dark/Flying and Grass/Steel for the two of them. As stated, the typings and relation to each other don't matter that much, but aesthetically speaking those typings definitely seem to make sense.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (12:21 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Typing discussion aside for a moment, what abilities do you think they'll have? From Gen III with Kyogre and Groudon having weather control, and from Gen IV with Dialga and Palkia having the standard Pressure, and Gen V with Reshiram/Zekrom having Teravolt/Turboblaze, respectively, is it too early to really discuss what kind of abilities you think they'll have? o:

I don't know whether or not they'll stick with unique abilities of their own like Reshiram/Zekrom or stick with Pressure, but I more or less prefer the former, anyway. Like, it would be cool if Xerneas would have some super cool ability that lowers the power of super-effective attacks and whatnot (also yes, I also realize that Rhyperior shares this. Just saying it'd be cool for it to have, is all!).
Old April 23rd, 2013 (12:32 PM). Edited April 23rd, 2013 by OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire.
Community Supporter

I tried to get abilities talked about earlier but not much came up...so maybe it is too only, though I'll give you my two cents. Maybe if Xerneas is rock type it could have Rhyperior's (and Camerupt's) ability. Or they could just give it a variation of it. Yvetal I see as having intimidate...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links