The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Pokemon X 153 34.85%
Pokemon Y 194 44.19%
Both 92 20.96%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I don't really think that X and Y have anything to do with axes and dimensions. I think they're more to correspond with chromosomes. Maybe Xerneas will be a female Pokémon and Yveltal will be male as a representation of that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
It's suppose to be a Y. I think that glowing may have been the light passing though it's body as it's suppose to represent width, while Xerneas is height.
Yeah I think the axis idea isn't gonna happen.

Also it would be the other way around, Y is the vertical 'height' axis whilst X is the horizontal one. Quite how light passing through it can link to either of those though I have no idea.
Old May 28th, 2013, 08:15 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
I don't really think that X and Y have anything to do with axes and dimensions. I think they're more to correspond with chromosomes. Maybe Xerneas will be a female Pokémon and Yveltal will be male as a representation of that?
I think it's a double take on them or a double pun of sorts, meaning both meanings could very well apply.
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
I think it's a double take on them or a double pun of sorts, meaning both meanings could very well apply.
It very well could be, but I don't see it being that way honestly. Gen IV kind of took on time, space, and dimensions already, so repeating the theme kind of seems odd to me. They very well could do it again, but I don't think it will personally.
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:05 AM
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

Doesnt Yveltal look like a scale?

I am guessing that on its tail it will put the creature whose soul it wants to weight and on its hands it will weight the evil and the good of the soul.
If the evil is superior he will be sent to the 3rd legendary
If the good is superior he will be sent to xerneas.

White 2:4814-8483-7594
3DS:4871 4138 8216
Friend Safari:Bug with Combee,Illumise and Heracross!
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Creame
Dreams take you higher ♥

Nature: Jolly
I think they're way better than the Zekrom and Reshiram.. At first I didn't really like the B/W legendaries.. These 2 are just instant love! The stag is so gorgeous! Mine mine mine!

Eeveelutions ♥
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Community Supporter

Quote:
It very well could be, but I don't see it being that way honestly. Gen IV kind of took on time, space, and dimensions already, so repeating the theme kind of seems odd to me. They very well could do it again, but I don't think it will personally.
I was mainly referring the basis of the games names, and why the impact on the axis basis on the designs of the legends rather than the theme of the legends. I think the legends are a mix of Norse with Axis design wise.
Also I saw this kite (the bird) on Wikipedia when I was looking on India's page. It sort of reminded me of Yvetal, the bird is connected to the legendary Garuda. the Garuda is the enemy of the Naga (a serpent) similar to how the serpent and the eagle in Norse hate one another, so I'm really thinking the third legendary will be a Serpentine Dragon type Pokemonof some kind, especially considering the third legends tend as of late are expies of Rayquaza (more so Origin forme Giratina).
Btw Giratina is suppose to represent Anti-matter according to Gamefreak.
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creame View Post
I think they're way better than the Zekrom and Reshiram.. At first I didn't really like the B/W legendaries.. These 2 are just instant love! The stag is so gorgeous! Mine mine mine!
I definitely agree. Zekrom and Reshiram were just more unnecessary legendary dragons. I mean dang, we just got 3 of them in the previous titles. How unoriginal is that. Anyway, Xerneas and Yveltal stand out so much when it comes to previous legendaries and version mascots. Their designs are intricate and stunning; it is so very refreshing.
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Creame
Dreams take you higher ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerserge View Post
I definitely agree. Zekrom and Reshiram were just more unnecessary legendary dragons. I mean dang, we just got 3 of them in the previous titles. How unoriginal is that. Anyway, Xerneas and Yveltal stand out so much when it comes to previous legendaries and version mascots. Their designs are intricate and stunning; it is so very refreshing.
True that! It's like Pokémon is down to earth again! When I first saw the cover of White 2, I even thought that White and Black Kyurem didn't really look like a Pokémon.. Not that I didn't enjoy the game, I loved it! It's just that especially Xerneas, and Yveltal as well, feel way more Pokémon-like!

Eeveelutions ♥
Old May 30th, 2013, 06:27 AM
aonshinzo
TheCoolestTentacool

Nature: Docile
Quote:
I even thought that White and Black Kyurem didn't really look like a Pokémon.
I agree somewhat White and Black Kyurem's designs were really complicated to say the least especially on the D.S. screen however Unova as a whole was very technology based. Xereneas and Yveltal however are very natural looking which really fits with the very pure looking Kalos region and compared to the other tiltle legends they seem really unique =)
Old May 30th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Call me Gamma
Dusty Old Trainer

Xerneas is definitely more interesting than Yveltal. The multicolor antlers lead me to believe that Xerneas might have a broader move set, while Yvetal looks like a cut and dry dark flying type. Additonally, Xerneas is definitely a much better take on the "horned mammal" design of the three fighting type legends from black and white. He looks far more majestic and "legendary" than the more feral, violent looking Yveltal.
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

Hmm, well I think both Pokemon are interesting and beautifully-designed, but I definitely like Yveltal's design a lot more. He looks like he could rip anything apart like an evil beast of ancient legend. I just look at his design, and all I can think is "Badass!" Yveltal might very well become my favorite legendary if they play his background story right. But hey, I always have a soft-spot for dark, intimidating, and powerful-looking things. Xerneas has that mysterious and regal air about it, but it doesn't have that edge to it. You look at it, and you can pretty much sum it up as being an agent of goodwill and love.
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Call me Gamma
Dusty Old Trainer

Another thing I've considered while observing the two is the new feature that allows you to ride pokemon. With the possibility that I might be able to ride either of them, I'll always choose the one that doesn't look like its going to eat me lol.
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Community Supporter

Xerneas to me doesn't look like either be either loving or violent, it simply looks enigmatic, which makes it all that more interesting.
Personally I perfer Yvetal myself.
Old May 30th, 2013, 09:59 AM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
I'm sure I've said it before, but no harm in revisiting the fact that I like both designs. It's hard to imagine Xerneas and Yveltal as opposites. I know it's not an explicitly written rule that the version legendaries need to oppose one another as such, but Yveltal seems to exude a kind of "BAM, I'M SOOOOOOOOOO EVIL LOOKING, CHECK THIS OUT" sorta thing, whereas I look at Xerneas and all I see is... Well, a deer. A cool one, but when Yveltal seems to be so clearly Dark-based, it's kinda hard to know what to expect from Xerneas, since he's a blue deer with psychic-ish looking things on his antlers.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old May 30th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Creame
Dreams take you higher ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonshinzo View Post
I agree somewhat White and Black Kyurem's designs were really complicated to say the least especially on the D.S. screen however Unova as a whole was very technology based. Xereneas and Yveltal however are very natural looking which really fits with the very pure looking Kalos region and compared to the other tiltle legends they seem really unique =)
I love Nintendo for going for the natural look again! It sure is unique! Unova was a lovely region but Kalos will be so much better, I think! I cannot wait to explore Kalos!

Eeveelutions ♥
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:00 AM
Community Supporter

I also love how they went to more natural, less draconian looking legendaries. Gen 4 and 5's mascots looked mechanical (more so Dialga,Palkia, and Zekrom and Kyurem than Giratina, and Reshiram). This more natural design brings me back to Gen I and II's mascots.
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:26 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I wasn't really too keen on Unova or the mascots, they were alright but not the best. After seeing both Xerneas, Yveltal and Kalos I'm really looking forward to these games, they look so fresh and different!

Old May 31st, 2013, 08:55 AM
Nuke

I'm amazed people thought so negatively of Zekrom & Reshiram, they were some of the best designs from B/W and one of the good points of the game. Admittedly, dragons were a bit of a tired idea by then, but they still look pretty awesome.

Kyurem can burn though, it looks terrible especially on a <100x<100 pixel sprite.

Personally Yveltal has nothing on Xerneas design wise, the difference is almost as big as the one between Palkia and Dialga.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old June 16th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Melua
Unhatched Egg

The elk Pokémon looks better than the other one IMO.
I like its rainbow antlers a lot, and I bet it's really strong since it's a legendary.
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:18 PM
XSky RiderX
'That Guy'

Well, since it hasn't been quite a month prior to the last post, I hope I'm still allowed to post here.

So, it turns out Xerneas is a pure fairy-type Pokemon and Yveltal is a Dark/Flying-type Pokemon.

Yveltal was somewhat obvious, it had to be something of the dark/flying/fire/dragon variant(even though it looks more like a wyvern than a "dragon"). However, Xerneas being a pure fairy-type wasn't something I truly expected, but pretty nice.

Thoughts on the typing of these two?
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:28 PM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
Yup CoroCoro has leaked. And yes, Xerneas is a pure Fairy type and Yveltal is Dark/Flying

Spoiler:

Personally I was expecting Yveltal's typing to be Dark/Flying and I'm glad it is. I was sort of thinking Xerneas to be part Fairy but not pure Fairy.

Also
Xerneas has an ability called Fairy Aura: powers up Fairy-type

Xerneas has a special move called Geo Control

Yveltal has an ability called Dark Aura: powers up Dark-type moves

Yveltal one called Death Wing.

I like Death Wing, that sounds really cool and I thinking I'm certain I'm getting Y now.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Death Wing is kind of a lame-sounding move name. I don't know why but it just sounds...meh to me. I wish I had logic behind that, but it was just the first impression that it gave me. I am quite happy that it is Dark/Flying though, as predicted, as we were due for another Dark-typed legendary (Plus I'm not a big fan of Darkrai as it is, so one that I like aesthetically is nice).

Geo Control sounds awesome. Plus I'm pretty happy that Xerneas popped out Fairy-typed. It was kind of predictable ever since the type was revealed, but it's nice to finally get the confirmation. I do agree that I was expecting a dual-type, but I'm not torn up about it at all.
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Community Supporter

For me it's the reverse Death Wing is the cool one and Geo Control is the lame one.

I'm not all that surprised that Xerneas is pure Fairy as it gave out that pure type aura, even though I wish it were part Grass...

Finally we got our Dark type mascot after four generations since it's introduction...to many Dragons...though Yvetal is the fifth flying mascot (Red, Gold,Silver, and Emerald all had mascots that were part flying). Let's see 8 games with dragon mascots versus 5 flying, and 4 water, 2 electric, 3 fire,2 ice (counting Kyurem twice due to B2W2), 1 ground, 1 grass, 1 poison, and 1 fairy...oh and 1 steel, and 1 ghost... leaving types such as fighting, Rock, and Bug for future mascot typings...

For me it's the reverse Death Wing is the cool one and Geo Control is the lame one.

I'm not all that surprised that Xerneas is pure Fairy as it gave out that pure type aura, even though I wish it were part Grass...

Finally we got our Dark type mascot after four generations since it's introduction...to many Dragons...though Yvetal is the fifth flying mascot (Red, Gold,Silver, and Emerald all had mascots that were part flying). Let's see 8 games with dragon mascots versus 5 flying, and 4 water, 2 electric, 3 fire,2 ice (counting Kyurem twice due to B2W2), 1 ground, 1 grass, 1 poison, and 1 fairy...oh and 1 steel, and 1 ghost... leaving types such as fighting, Rock, and Bug for future mascot typings...

Last edited by OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire; July 10th, 2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
The Ultimate Dark Pokémon...

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Yep, Skybacon is Dark/Flying, as most of us had predicted. I didn't expect Jingledeer to be just Fairy though, I thought he would be part Grass. Either way, I'm glad about this confirmation. Since R/S, we finally have mascots that aren't Dragon type. xD

I like their signature moves. They both sound awesome. Geo Control looks like a sort of earthquake-ish move, while Death Wing sounds like a OHKO move, though I doubt it.

Regardless of how everything turned out, I still prefer Yveltal, and will be getting Y. I may get X later down the road, depending on when/if the suspected Z Version comes out.
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Okay given that threads linked in the news summary are exempt from revival rule until game release, I think I've found a good topic to revive this with.

So, according to a screenshot that popped up lately, Yveltal's stats at Lv50 were revealed:

Spoiler:

Atk 151
Def 108
Sp Atk 151
Sp Def 102
Speed 118

Now these were the stats that were shown in the screenshot, but you know it confirms Yveltal will be an all-out attacker given the high Attack and Sp. Attack. This is making me think Xerneas will get the same BST, but have the stats distributed differently. Xerneas could probably end up with the same base stats as Yveltal, but have the stats of Yveltal's offenses as its defenses' stats instead.

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links