The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Pokemon X 153 34.85%
Pokemon Y 194 44.19%
Both 92 20.96%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:13 AM
rocky505
<Now who's awesome!

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin Of The Gale View Post
My friend on PO just told me this.
Xerne = ZURR-nee-us
Yveltal = ee-VELL-tall

That's how they are pronounced.

Nevermind, I'm slow. I hope they pick better names when the game gets translated in English.
These were revealed on the English site you know
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:58 AM
miltankRancher
Mega Ampharos is the one.

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Yahoo to miltankRancher
Pokemon Y, aka Yveltal, is more badass. That design looks so sleek and so powerful. Plus it is somehow based on a wyvern. I prefer it loads over Xerneas.

Yveltal is now my favorite legendary pokemon. Officially.

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Urugamosu
Smiles are free, you know~
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Xerneas, it just seems so untamed.... so pure. I actually want to see the backstory of this legendary.

Adventures, are sometimes even the simplest things.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Definitely looking forward to both of them! They both look so exciting, especially X! I love the majestic deer with swords for legs, omg I'm so excited!!!11!11
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:44 AM
fireyboy345
Skilled Pokemon Trainer

Nature: Modest
I'm just glad these mascots are not dragon type (or at least it seems). For the last two generations the legendary trios have been dragon and I'm sick of it!
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urugamosu View Post
Xerneas, it just seems so untamed.... so pure. I actually want to see the backstory of this legendary.
Maybe it could be related to Arceus, considering its looks... perhaps it's the "child" of Arceus, and the other one is the child of something else, like a corrupted Arceus with something else? :x
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Maybe it could be related to Arceus, considering its looks... perhaps it's the "child" of Arceus, and the other one is the child of something else, like a corrupted Arceus with something else? :x
That would be pretty broken, if they were related, since their stats could follow, obviously not be base 120, but maybe 100. They are going to end up being OP anyway. Haha.
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:07 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Well considering "y" as a real vowel is only used in Nordic ("Yggdrasil"), it probably represents something inside Norse mythology. Something like the huge oak tree. And since Xerneas was revealed by an oak tree, that could mean something.

Old January 9th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Well considering "y" as a real vowel is only used in Nordic ("Yggdrasil"), it probably represents something inside Norse mythology. Something like the huge oak tree. And since Xerneas was revealed by an oak tree, that could mean something.
I know there are at least some French names (Yves, Yvonne, etc.) that use 'y' as a vowel at the beginning of words. I don't think it's necessarily just Nordic words that do this.

But if not, then Xerneas would be, what, Greek?

deviantart blog pair
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:01 AM
rainerman3
The Guy With THE Aura

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to rainerman3
Well I prefer the Y pokemon more, it just looks cooler and well more epic. No sawsbuck kind of guy for me. xP
Pokeanalysis: You are very mysterious like the ocean abyss, choosing not to give away your true intentions and feelings. People don't know much about you, as you don't strive to be the center of attention like most people. You love your close friends and would do anything to protect them and defend them. You are kind and intelligent, and very powerful. You are a lover of peace and tranquility and hate meaningless violence. This makes you like Lugia!
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Leikaru
Back from the dead...

Nature: Bold
Yveltal looks bad. Evil. Where as the elk, Xerneas, looks good. Light/Dark types, anyone. Yveltal could be the Dark/Dragon (or Flying), and Xerneas could be Light/Grass. Just a thought. Yveltal is definately the best designed one though, in my opinion. It might be because it's a dragon thingy. I love Dragon/Dinosaur looking Pokemon. Hence why I tend to build my entire team around the Dragon-Type.

Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.

Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

MONSTERRA
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Snivysmiley
Ruby/Sapphire Veteran

Nature: Modest
Not sure if this has been mentioned as I haven't read all 7 pages but xerneas has red/blue/yellow(or gold) in his silvery antlers and black and white legs, and yvelta has ruby red shin and sapphire blue eyes.... All the main series pokemon games colours except for diamond and pearl (which aren't really colours so.....)
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Lance
Pokémon Champion

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Given that it's a legendary bird, to me at least, it's more reminiscent of Quetzalcoatl, the Aztec sky god, and based off of a real bird with crazy-looking plumage:

Old January 9th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Kotetsu-kun
Unova League Rival

Nature: Quirky
So... 2 Legendaries with different forms. That's the first time they do that since Ruby and Sapphire. One's a Moose, the other's a giant hawk.

Ash+Cameron BFFs!
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I like Yveltal. Once I saw it in the trailer, I knew I had to at least get the Y version. I just like flying creatures more than stags.

Quote:
And since Xerneas was revealed by an oak tree, that could mean something.
One possible inspiration for Xerneas is the Irish Elk, which had the largest antler size of any mammal.
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:17 AM
GFA
Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
I like Pokemon Yveltal 's design a whole lot more than Pokemon Xerneas', although I do like Xerneas, the thing is I can't say Pokemon Y's name. I know how Yves is pronounced in French, and I get that this region is supposedly French, by Yveltal confuses me. I dig the pseudo-Aztec like quality of it's name though.
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:30 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Did they post any backstory about them yet? Like what relations do they have to being legendary?
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:57 AM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
The new legends are very interesting, to say the least. Here are my thoughts:

Xerneas. This is the one I prefer of the two. Those amazing christmas light and then how its very sleek from there down. I'm sick of big chunky legendaries, a nice change of pace! The dialga coloring is pretty interesting. And the sword feet are intriguing too. To be honest I wonder its able to walk since its antlers would weigh down its head, and its tiny sword feet would make it slip. And then how would it get up with the sword feet? The magic of Pokemon! Besides my nitpicking, I really like this legendary! :D

And then Yveltal (whose name sounds very yiddish - kvetsh!) who I've been referring to as "the sheet ghost." Why is it so thin? And I'm wondering why it has cofagrigus's hands inside its body... I feel bad for the poor cofagrigus Yveltal ate! :O

But after looking at them, I'm supporting the theory that they are a compilation of pokemon DNA. (and perhaps that's where the less-pokemon look is coming from, since they're artificial) THey'd be like souped-up versions of Mewtwo, made using multiple pokemon's DNA. Maybe that's where the cofagrigus hands-veins-pattern thing comes from?

Can't wait for the backstory.
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:57 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I like the new names, Xerneas sounds Majestic while Yvetal sounds deadly. the ending of Yvetal sounds like the aztec wind god's... with the tal. That'll make it the third one based on it after Rayquaza, and Therian Tornadus. If so I'm guessing wind. In one of the myths the sky god had to sacrifice himself to bring back the dead humans who were killed off during the last era becoming polluted in the process to hell (similar to the polution in Yomi when Izanagi tried to rescue Izanami).
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:10 PM
TaichiWind
X

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to TaichiWind
They can't not be banking on the Yggdrasil. It's too obvius. And there has to be a Z Pokémon to be the root-biting snake in there somewhere.

That's right... It's begun again... How long must this war go on?
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
I think they are both beautiful. The art still complements them very well. I like them both, but X is what I'm going with
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
I'm hoping the flying thing is not a Dragon Type.
I've had it with legendary dragons, give other types a chance.
And not, adding a type to dragon.

I really want a new type to shine for legendary Mascots.
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Zayphora
Don't mess with the lights...

Nature: Sassy
I....I can't decide! They just both look so...AMAZING!!!! *explodes in jealousy of anyone who has a 3DS*
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:07 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I agree, ever since Rayquaza we've had a period of Dragon legendaries which was getting old by the time Kyurem came about. So now time for these two pokemon who aren't dragons (I hope) the first of their kind since Groudon and Kyogre (not counting remakes).
I'm hoping it's Nordish mythology, it'll be awesome and would support the Z snake theory.
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:11 PM
EKMPoke
Unhatched Egg

I'm going with Y. Like Groudom it seems to me more potent and demanding (than Kyogre at that time) than the fancy, yet still cool, elk. Also Yveltal reminds me of a Rathalos/wyvern from Monster Hunter series... ive dreamt of days where I could tame and train one!

"No 2 Charizards burn the same"
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here