The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

View Poll Results: 3D Graphics good or Bad?
Good 105 88.98%
Bad 7 5.93%
Dosen't Matter 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:49 PM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
I hope so. They got plenty of time to polish everything up. I like the artstyle, it's very fitting for pokemon. But technically, the 3DS is capable of MUCH more than this mess.

I don't see it. I'd take the first screenshot over the second any time.
Looks pretty damn amazing to me, but then again, I am a real gamer, and just care about the mechanics and story, which Pokemon always has anyway.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Deokishisu
Mr. Magius

Nature: Relaxed
I need to see more before I make up my mind. The models and textures themselves could get sharper as they develop the games more.

It's going to be quite a transition for me either way I'm sure! I preferred HG/SS type graphics. Pseudo-3D, simple, and of that unmistakable Pokemon style. I'm on the fence about how these new games are stylized. I need to see more!
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Spinosaurus
Your favorite Pokemon sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmn.master View Post
Looks pretty damn amazing to me, but then again, I am a real gamer, and just care about the mechanics and story, which Pokemon always has anyway.
Oh, real gamer, huh? Very sharp. Too bad I'm not one then, but I'm damn glad if it means I prefer the games I play to not look ugly.

The 3DS is capable to do much more than this. I've said it many many times, but the overworld is something you see on the DS.

I couldn't care less about the mechanics if they don't remove random encounters and get a steady, good framerate. Story was always nothing special too.

I'll probably get Dragon Quest 7 instead, anyway.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:08 PM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
I must admit, I love the new graphics.
I only hope full 3D in battles won't slow them down. As much as I like Colosseum and XD (never played PBR) , the battles were incredibly slow, even more than in Gen 4. But seeing how fast battle animations in Gen 5 were, I think GF are aware of this problem.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:24 PM
BanditThePikachu
The Raichu of awesome

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to BanditThePikachu
Hm.. I'm still waiting on my opinion. I'm going to wait a while before I can form a full opinion, but right now, for me it's safe to say that the graphics need a little bit more work. But in 10 months, they are definitely going to be improved, because of course, this is just a trailer.

But the battles... the battles. To me, the graphics are amazing and I'd like to see them when they're even better. The only thing: I hope you don't have to wait 1 whole minute just for a visual to finish.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

Nature: Jolly
It's a hit and that's that.

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:27 PM
AfewQuestions
Unhatched Egg

I have a question.
Is there something like the old super gameboy that allowed you to play game boy games on a super nintendo?

I mean that because I don't like little screens.

I am a rather old pokemon fan (28 years old) who got into pokemon again after more than a decade because my teenage nice fought with her mother and moved to my house, she got me back into that game, but I am not very up to date.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Nintendofox3d
Watch Pokemon Cyclone Saga!!

The graphics are awesome, although I will miss the pixel-art...

Pokemon Cyclone Saga
-The Pokemon Series-

Watch It Here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/iNeonFox
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:57 PM
satoshilee
Unhatched Egg

I bet the next game will have the ability to change your character avatar with different skin tones and body builds.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Castform

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
These graphics are simply stunning. Such an advancement since B2W2 in such short time. And the battles!!! OMG! GF has truly out done itself.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:27 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
It is certainly going to take some getting used to but I think over all it is great and just what the series needed. Hopefully the framerate is up to scratch.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

Nature: Quiet
SO HAPPY. It's going to take some time to get used to the new graphics, but I'm still SO HAPPY. Now I have a reason to get a 3DS.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Delphini

Nature: Hasty
I've been wishing for a mainline Pokemon game in 3D or at least with a lot more animations in the battles and such (like many I'm guessing) for a very long time. I think X and Y look amazing, will surely look better running on the actual system, and it's not even final yet, they have months to polish things up. I can't wait for October now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element0 View Post
SO HAPPY. It's going to take some time to get used to the new graphics, but I'm still SO HAPPY. Now I have a reason to get a 3DS.
Yup, I feel the same way, and also need to finally get a 3DS now.

Last edited by Delphini; January 8th, 2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:05 PM
NightGlider
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
In the trailer, it said gameplay wasn't final. I expect improvement. My biggest complaints are the jagginess and the trainer NPCs. The way they just stand there is so awkward and unnatural looking. They need animations and should also be doing actions. (Rummaging through bags. Looking around. Fiddling with pokeballs.) At the very least, more casual poses. Also, remember back in April 2010 when we got those leaked images of B/W? The game itself changed a lot aesthetically from those images to date of release. Other than that, I love the art style. It's a huge step in the right direction. I've also wanted 3D for a long time.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

I absolutely loved the graphics when I saw the trailer. And I'm sure the textures are going to change later on when it gets closer to it's release. It made me so excited and amazed by it's concept of how you're able to see the sky more in those games, that's fantastic. ^^

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:17 PM
jellotime91

Come on, people... Have you never even seen 3DS games before? They look far better than this, most of the time.

Kingdom Hearts 3D, for example, has much more beautiful and natural-looking environments. Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, etc... All games that are, like Pokemon, not designed to be realistic, but they still have smooth and attractive models and textures.

The game literally looks like they took BW and just tilted the camera and changed the 2D sprites to 3D models that look like sprites. It's pretty disappointing to anyone who has played a fair amount of high-budget 3DS games.

The thing is, I really don't care. I'm going to buy the games anyway, and they're going to be fantastic games, despite their crappy and outdated graphics.

EDIT: And yes I agree that the graphics could be updated before the release, but I don't think they will be. Remember the 3DS? It's not the final version, it won't be that ugly, but it really was.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:22 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

I like the graphics in the games, though they could still use some work, luckily they have time to do that as they said it's not the final result. Seeing this game makes me even more eager for when remakes finally come around

Though it's much more cartoony than Kh 3D and Ocarina of Time it still has it's own special charm.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:23 PM
shubshub
Master of The Y

Nature: Quiet
These things should be in Pokemon X and Y

When you go into the Union room instead of just having an Avatar appear on the other perspons screen actually have your Player Character Appear and be able to walk around
(And Maybe allow some form of Co-Op Hub From there Similar to how DQ9 Had Co-Op)
[Pokemon White 2]: 3182 4860 8214 [OT: Chris ID: 62513]
[Nintendo 3DS]: 4441 8375 5933 [Pokemon Y]

My Favorite Pokémon!
Garchomp