The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

View Poll Results: 3D Graphics good or Bad?
Good 105 88.98%
Bad 7 5.93%
Dosen't Matter 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:28 AM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
It's not even only that. This is not final footage is what some of us were trying to say as well, it even says that during the trailer at the beginning. What we've been shown is obviously something to give us insight on where we are headed in general when it comes to what it'll look like. They have more than enough time to add in details, fix little glitches, and to smoothen out things seeing as the release isn't 'til October.

The whole blocky argument is just a general thing with 3ds games, they tend to look a lot better on the actual system's screen.

Btw, I can't believe how some things slip by us when we're not paying attention all of the way. I don't remember if anyone's brought this up but did anyone notice that, when the protagonist is swinging on that rope, his glasses get stuck in the air and are left behind? I saw someone point it out on a screenshot in another forum and I checked back and noticed it in the trailer, too. XD Funny stuff glitches are.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:21 PM
jellotime91

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Payne View Post
It's not even only that. This is not final footage is what some of us were trying to say as well, it even says that during the trailer at the beginning. What we've been shown is obviously something to give us insight on where we are headed in general when it comes to what it'll look like. They have more than enough time to add in details, fix little glitches, and to smoothen out things seeing as the release isn't 'til October.

The whole blocky argument is just a general thing with 3ds games, they tend to look a lot better on the actual system's screen.
Your assumption is that Gamefreak will make some significant changes between now and the time of release (I'm assuming). That's fine, but it's your assumption. You don't know that they will make the necessary changes to bring the visuals up to par with other AAA 3DS titles.

I personally do not think that they will. I feel that if they were going to make significant changes, those changes have already been planned, and they wouldn't have shown us game footage when they did if it was going to look better when the game launched (pre-orders have already begun!) They only have about 6-7 months left to make any such changes before the game has to go into production to prepare for a huge launch. That is no time at all in the gaming industry.

And, again, I would urge anyone who thinks "it will look better on the screen" to just compare it to other trailers, which are shown in the same high resolution on your computer screen.
Old January 20th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
I would suggest that some artefacts won't actually look as bad on the 3DS screen as they would on the trailers. When you're scaling up a 3DS game for a trailer, it's generally going to look jagged. And look, it's scaled. It's inevitably going to look bad, and a lot of 3DS game trailers do look bad to some people.

I'm not suggesting it's going to simply look better on the screen ignoring the resolution the trailers are screened at - my only thought is on how good it would look in 3D, and whether it's enough to offset everything.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 20th, 2013, 03:42 PM
bewbs
~Chloe~

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bewbs Send a message via Skype™ to bewbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
To go from this

To this

Within a year is a huge step up.
I think it's going to work really well.

Old January 20th, 2013, 08:39 PM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
Honestly, I was surprised by the announcement that came so early but I'm happy, like many others, to see a brand new Pokemon game that is now finally coming to the 3DS. I was surprised with the new 3D-ness, but at least the game ill be unique! I think that the transition will change the game, and will make it different. I'm not sure if I will like it or not, I will have to see more gameplay footage.
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:47 PM
ClumzyTrainR13
Storm Caster

Honestly, I was slowly anticipating the 3D effects. I mean, even before the 3DS came out, I was like, OMG, what if pokemon was 3D?! My peers shared the same views as well. I had thought Black/White 2 was coming out on the 3DS, and to no avail. Now that is upon us, I cna't wait. Seriously, am I the only person who wants to get Flamethrower'd in the face? XD

Black 2 FC:
4256-2299-8658

Old January 20th, 2013, 09:44 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellotime91 View Post
Your assumption is that Gamefreak will make some significant changes between now and the time of release (I'm assuming). That's fine, but it's your assumption. You don't know that they will make the necessary changes to bring the visuals up to par with other AAA 3DS titles.

I personally do not think that they will. I feel that if they were going to make significant changes, those changes have already been planned, and they wouldn't have shown us game footage when they did if it was going to look better when the game launched (pre-orders have already begun!) They only have about 6-7 months left to make any such changes before the game has to go into production to prepare for a huge launch. That is no time at all in the gaming industry.

And, again, I would urge anyone who thinks "it will look better on the screen" to just compare it to other trailers, which are shown in the same high resolution on your computer screen.
Well you're assuming wrong then with that first assumption, haha. Where did I imply(or assume) that they'd make significant changes? They're not even pulling for the same style as something like PMD or SM3DL so it's not a really fair comparison when you put it like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Payne View Post
They have more than enough time to add in details, fix little glitches, and to smoothen out things seeing as the release isn't 'til October.
6-7 months definitely is no time if you aren't anywhere close to finishing , but it is plenty of time if all they need to do is 'touch up' on things like ^. I personally think that's pretty much what the overworld needs and I don't think it's as bad(or will be as bad) as a lot are making it out to be at this point(since it will still have a better chance at looking a lot smoother on an actual 3DS screen, like usual with 3DS games).

On a second note, the game footage is not final like was stated in the trailer, so we can't be 100% sure where they're at anyways with things.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:14 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

I think it's fantastic that they've finally got 3D models of Pokémon instead of sprites in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, at least it gives it a better view and better perspective to the game overall.

But other than that, at least now you can see the sky more than you could in previous games. Where as in games like Pokémon Platinum, you couldn't see anything but black sky if you tried to use codes that enabled that kind of view. However, the caves and inside buildings probably will have the same top-down view, as seen in the trailer with the gym.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:57 AM
Snivysmiley
Ruby/Sapphire Veteran

Nature: Modest
My favourite camera angle was that of D/P/HG/SS, and I HATED the angles on skyarrow bridge, so I hope that if they do have the camera at the angle shown in the video, it doesn't vary too much too quickly
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:02 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
It's kind of interesting really, because at first I originally though that the 3D in this game was going to be phenomenal, but I've been thinking about it quite a bit, and now I'm not quite sure how I'm going to adjust with the new 3D. Note that I'm not criticizing it or anything! I'd rather play the game for myself(when it comes out, of course!) or see more gameplay videos before really making a conclusion on whether or not I'm fully comfortable with the 2D-3D switch.
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:42 PM
morrison

Nature: Quiet
I am curious how it will turn out.

Pokemon Hardmode Sapphire Comic
starts as b/w but turns colourful a couple of pages later
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:50 PM
bionics
Unhatched Egg

From what little we've seen in the preview footage the game looks amazing; as you probably know, graphics were never the selling point of this game so the ameliorated animations and character models are definitely an added bonus though features that were needed almost 20 years into the game's history.

The Most Uncomfortable Pieces of Pokemon Fan-Art
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:37 PM
The_CGC

Nature: Bold
Im happy about it, but not that much (Probaly because i might never have a 3DS ) because there are A lot of that might not get to play it. But they could (Just could) Make it on Wii U or the Dsi XL but nerfed from 3D or something like that :\. Probaly not gonna happen though.

Want to know whats wrong with someone? The real question is what ISN'T wrong with that person.
That is the real answer.
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:43 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I don't mind the perspective shown in the footage, though I do hope we can change the camera angle somewhat. I always find it fun to mess around with.
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:59 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
We've seen a small fraction of what the games will look like so far in 3D. From what I've seen, I wouldn't call it perfect, but I'm definitely impressed with what they've done. Truthfully, I've been anticipating this transition for years now. First was when I was as a kid and I'd sometimes imagine what a main game would look like three dimensional. Then again when I saw what DPPt looked like and later Black and White / B2W2. Now that is has finally happened, I'm kind of embracing the switch from 2D to full blown 3D. It'll take some getting used to at first, but I'm really excited about it. Whatever limitations held them back from before, they now have so much more room to work with in 3D. So to see what they can do from here on out will be very interesting to say the least.
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:50 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snivysmiley View Post
My favourite camera angle was that of D/P/HG/SS, and I HATED the angles on skyarrow bridge, so I hope that if they do have the camera at the angle shown in the video, it doesn't vary too much too quickly
Oh I'm opposite. I loved B/W's angles! Well anything in Unova I loved but still, the camera angles seemed more realistic and interesting, so I hope it's kind of like in B/W. Even graphic-wise overall I hope it maintains okay quality, much like Unova did, but... they're for different systems and I doubt the graphics will be unflawless. :(
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:34 PM
Guy
just a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snivysmiley View Post
I personally thought the different camera angles across Skyarrow Bridge gave the ride across more dynamic. To each their own, but I personally hope we get to see more of this camera action in X and Y with the new 3D capabilities they'll be able to expand on.
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:39 PM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Ω & α... Join the Bandwagon!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Oh I'm opposite. I loved B/W's angles! Well anything in Unova I loved but still, the camera angles seemed more realistic and interesting, so I hope it's kind of like in B/W. Even graphic-wise overall I hope it maintains okay quality, much like Unova did, but... they're for different systems and I doubt the graphics will be unflawless.
Mm, I too loved Unova's camera angles. They were different than anything we had seen before it. And yes, I doubt the graphics will be flawless, they never have been perfect. I'm not expecting OoT level graphics, as this is GameFreaks first endeavour into the 3DS. However, I believe that X&W wil be like DPPT, look how far BW2 has come from those games.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:28 AM
Forever
let it go

Well after just seeing the 3D function of the 3DS (on the main screen, but still) I'd rather not if they went all out with 3D lmao. I'd like it to have much less 3D, but for it to look really realistic. idk now I'm like "do I really want it to be fully 3D??"
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Wulfsige85

man i think it going to look fantastic cant wait for both game im finally gonna get back to pokemon after so many years

btw did any of you notice the the slider fo the 3d was off?
Attached Images
File Type: png 135764447855.png‎ (335.1 KB, 7 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:10 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfsige85 View Post
man i think it going to look fantastic cant wait for both game im finally gonna get back to pokemon after so many years

They're still improving on things, so, it might seem 'off' but it can be easily fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Well after just seeing the 3D function of the 3DS (on the main screen, but still) I'd rather not if they went all out with 3D lmao. I'd like it to have much less 3D, but for it to look really realistic. idk now I'm like "do I really want it to be fully 3D??"
Mmm, yeah, it is a pretty big transition to go from 2-D to 3-D, soooo it might seem weird to have it all 3-D. Maybe they'll restrict certain things to more 2-Dish, but, eh; I'd like to see how they transition it all in to 3-D first~

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:41 PM
Guy
just a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfsige85 View Post

It might not have made much of a difference if the 3D was on anyway. As a viewer of the gameplay, we probably wouldn't notice the 3D depth quite like you would seeing it with our actual eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
Mmm, yeah, it is a pretty big transition to go from 2-D to 3-D, soooo it might seem weird to have it all 3-D. Maybe they'll restrict certain things to more 2-Dish, but, eh; I'd like to see how they transition it all in to 3-D first~
I hope they do. Since they're moving onto the 3DS, I would like them to really push the limits as to what they can do now and how far they can go. I don't want them to just settle. From what we've seen compared to other 3DS titles, there's definitely more that they can do.
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Frost Mage

Now, for me, Unova's Pokemon were probably the most notably different, I don't really know why. Don't get me wrong, I love most of the designs of the 5th Gen Pokemon, but they seemed sort of foreign to me... So I was thinking, based on the starters we have seen, I feel like the 6th Generation of Pokemon games will look more like the older games, while still incorporating some of the new design features that we saw in Black and White, as to keep progressing. But no one really knows right now, so speculation time! What do you think these games will most resemble, design-wise?
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:56 AM
The_CGC

Nature: Bold
Design wise, It looks like a nerfed version of Ni No Kuni Designs. And by that i mean the players.

Want to know whats wrong with someone? The real question is what ISN'T wrong with that person.
That is the real answer.
Old January 28th, 2013, 06:22 AM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
Graphic wise, it looks like it's all cel-shaded and it really reminds me of the Dragon Ball Z Budokai games and looking at Ni No Kuni I agree with The_CGC.
The art style wise looking at the artwork of the legendarys and starters, it looks like Ken Sugimori is gonna retain his normal style. It really reminds me like a mix of Gen IV and Gen V design-wise. The male protagonist reminds me of a mix of Hilbert ,Nate and Lucas's Platinum design. And the female protagonist sort of reminds me of Leaf. Still I don't see any real change in art-design.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links