Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

View Poll Results: 3D Graphics good or Bad?
Good 105 88.98%
Bad 7 5.93%
Dosen't Matter 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 6th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversity Pumpkin View Post
Graphics should never come first
I agree with you Pumpkin, im just saying having a Pokemon in 3D will be nice
Gameplay and story are way more important elements in a game, at least that my opinion, but since Pokemon has done a pretty good job at that for the last 5 Gens, i dont think they will suddenly mess that up with X/Y

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:53 AM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversity Pumpkin View Post
Graphics should never come first
Do you honestly think they are only worrying about the graphics? Come on now, when has Pokemon ever cared for the best graphics? Everything else has been done really well so far, so why should they just ignore graphics when they obviously will still put the utmost care in gameplay, etc. like usual?

It looks like people will need more time to get off of the sprite train. :/
Don't you think Hoenn deserves to be at least this beautiful?

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old March 7th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Payne View Post
Do you honestly think they are only worrying about the graphics? Come on now, when has Pokemon ever cared for the best graphics? Everything else has been done really well so far, so why should they just ignore graphics when they obviously will still put the utmost care in gameplay, etc. like usual?

It looks like people will need more time to get off of the sprite train. :/
You know, I have to agree on you here; the graphics have already went a great change shifting over to the 3Ds, which is a big improvement in graphics already. Plus in the trailer, the graphics are not the final edition, so, I see no reason to worry about that.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
You know, I have to agree on you here; the graphics have already went a great change shifting over to the 3Ds, which is a big improvement in graphics already. Plus in the trailer, the graphics are not the final edition, so, I see no reason to worry about that.
Plus on top of this, Game Freak and Nintendo would never put the story of the games aside for the shift in graphics. They changed before in all the previous generations (not as drastic as this but in general they have been redesigned!), so I don't think we have any reason to worry or think that the graphics are coming first.
Old March 8th, 2013, 02:11 AM
Forever
let it go

I wouldn't mind the graphics coming first as long as it isn't a story like Gen 1, really. :x So for me I would really like it if they went all out on the graphics because it just adds to it seeming like a whole new world!
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old March 9th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I'd rather them use the advance in graphics to tell the story in a more compelling way. Now that we aren't stuck with pixel art maybe the models will be able to have animations for facial expressions, plus maybe cutscenes would be cool.
Old March 9th, 2013, 07:10 PM
demonta4
President of Demonta Games

Nature: Brave
i love the graphics,i wonder how long this game has been developed
Old March 9th, 2013, 07:34 PM
BanditThePikachu
The Raichu of awesome

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to BanditThePikachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I'd rather them use the advance in graphics to tell the story in a more compelling way. Now that we aren't stuck with pixel art maybe the models will be able to have animations for facial expressions, plus maybe cutscenes would be cool.
Agreed. This is exactly what I think. Cutscenes would be awesome, it probably wouldn't even seem like Pokemon for a while.
My YouTube Channel
Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and other games!
Please Subscribe
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:44 AM
ZePokemonGuy
PokeTuber Novice

Nature: Impish
Growing up with only a recent selection of the Pokemon games, from Gen 3 onwards (although I have gone back and played the previous games), I grew up with Pokemon admiring it's unique art style, especially the pixels.
With X and Y, they're going to change it into fully fledged 3D, and although I'm not against it(I absolutely loved playing Battle Revolution on the Wii), I am going to miss my tiny ball o' pixels character running around the overworld. I would like to know what you guys think, if they're is anyone who feels similar to the way that I do.
Check out my Pokemon antics here!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZePokemonGuy

You can now watch me explore Kanto in my FireRed LP, now on the PokeCommunity:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296942

Finally finished Pokemon Black!
Now accepting BW Wi-Fi Battles, mainly Free Battles, I just wanna have fun. :D
BW Friend Code - 2967 8409 8496
If you want a challenge, HeartGold is my best game yet.
I like fossils as well as you can see by my team. :3

#TeamDeoxys
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:11 AM
inferno7453

I feel the same, as I also grew up with Gen 3, I'm going to miss the pixelized characters and Pokemon. But they have to keep inovating, so hopefully this means that in following games, Nintendo might give up exclusivity.
Challenges participating:
The Username Letter Challenge V3.0

Challenges completed:
-

Youtube Channel (for Challenge Updates): http://www.youtube.com/user/inferno7453
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
/bumps on over to the graphics thread.

It's definitely going to be an adjustment having to adapt to the changes that comes with 3D, especially the loss of the traditional pixels and sprites, but so far I'm liking what I see. The protagonists look a bit funny while running around though, at least from the back anyway...

Last edited by Guy; March 10th, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Well, yeah, of course I'm going to miss the pixels, but hey - you know what they say, change is good! It is going to be somewhat of a challenge adapting to this whole new feel of gameplay, but I'm sure everyone will come to love it eventually!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
Well, yeah, of course I'm going to miss the pixels, but hey - you know what they say, change is good! It is going to be somewhat of a challenge adapting to this whole new feel of gameplay, but I'm sure everyone will come to love it eventually!
This. I think after 10+ years it's time for a change, and it will be weird adjusting from pixel art to 3D, but I think what Game Freak will do with it will make it worthwhile and make a better gaming experience!
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
The protagonists look a bit funny while running around though, at least from the back anyway...
Yeaaah the protagonist sprites are one thing that's going to take a while to get used to. While I'm okay with different sprites for everything else, it'll be strange to get used to 3D protagonists. ;x
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Yeaaah the protagonist sprites are one thing that's going to take a while to get used to. While I'm okay with different sprites for everything else, it'll be strange to get used to 3D protagonists. ;x
I think if anything the perspective of the game is going to take getting used to, as it appears not to be a top-down perspective in the same sense it has been all these years. Just exploring the region is going to feel off for awhile before we can actually adjust to it, and even longer I'd imagine if you're using the 3D effects of the game.
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Forever
let it go

Oh ya, exploring will be hard too. Imagine dark caves. They probably won't even be dark at all compared to what we know. :(
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Oh ya, exploring will be hard too. Imagine dark caves. They probably won't even be dark at all compared to what we know. :(
More than likely, since having that sphere of light around you was much easier to do with a sprite. Hopefully they can come up with something creative for exploring dark caves (if they even have them really, since Flash got demoted to TM status, and was barely used in B/W).
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

They can still have the caves pitch black according to pokemon standards, but, yes, it'd be pretty tough to imagine how these new sets of graphics will perform compared to the graphics that we are used too. I mean, people have been worried that these graphics will one of the reasons that playing these games will be hard, because they're simply not d to this whole new perspective. Plus, you know, I think that it'd be tough to figure out where you're supposed to go at first. Like here:

At first, I thought that you could walk around freely, but, then, maybe there is something blocking the player from reaching the flowers?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:15 PM
HyperXhydra

Quote:
They can still have the caves pitch black according to pokemon standards, but, yes, it'd be pretty tough to imagine how these new sets of graphics will perform compared to the graphics that we are used too. I mean, people have been worried that these graphics will one of the reasons that playing these games will be hard, because they're simply not d to this whole new perspective. Plus, you know, I think that it'd be tough to figure out where you're supposed to go at first. Like here:

At first, I thought that you could walk around freely, but, then, maybe there is something blocking the player from reaching the flowers?
The camera angle would change for specific places, i don't think it would be hard to figure out where to go.
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I don't think flowers would really act as a barrier either, as they're pretty easy to walk through. I do agree that the camera angle is probably dynamic instead of just sitting in the static overhead position that we're used to, which will definitely allow for better views of the maps that they create.
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:14 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!

It's barely going to take anything to get me used to the new 3D style in a main game, but that's mainly because I've been expecting the change ever since I got a 3DS. Good riddance sprites. I think battling would be the thing that takes most adjusting to, imo, because of how much bigger of a change that is in the main games. The more constant camera angling, actual scenery, etc. Speaking of scenery, I wonder what it will be when facing someone on WiFi. I hope there's an audience, haha.

Flash can easily work well still because they can make the caves dark, yet light enough so that you can can get almost a bare minimum focus. Think how at ~ 5AMish(?) you get up in the dark and you can just about make out the shadow-y outline of items to have a rough idea of placements but usually it's only helpful enough to guide you to a light source(your light switch).

It would sort of take out the absolute necessity of Flash(if for some reason you don't have it or don't want to teach it to a current part member) and allow you to get through the cave if you are careful and can observe well but, at the same time, Flash would be nearly mandatory if you want to explore the whole cave and collect all items, etc. Maybe they could make it darker on the lower floors to further make it necessary to use? I don't know...Even with it as just a TM it seems like a hassle to teach it.

Btw, if you want to have an idea of what I'm talking about, refer to Rock Tunnel in Red/Blue without Flash. You can get through if you're crazy enough because something is there to somewhat guide you in the minimum light(in this case the walls) but you'd be wasting a heck of a lot of time trying to collect items, etc. without light, thus making it highly recommended to use in that sense.

Last edited by C Payne; March 10th, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Oh dear. v_v As soon as I read the word "camera angles" as mentioned in recent posts, I started to get kind of worried.

The reasoning because...well in my experience, camera angles in games tend to be a 50/50. Sometimes it can be annoying, sometimes it can prove to be a benefit to the player, and sometimes it could act as a complete backstabber. It's a matter of where you are, and honestly I'd just like if it if we could control the camera but...eh. I don't know how likely that is at this point.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I'm just hoping the camera is dynamic in that sense, both automatic and player controlled. If I'm browsing a town I'd love to be able to change the camera by myself, or even switch to a first-person view. I'd also like the camera to move on its own as we're travelling though, so we're not stuck with the same view point where it gets awkward when we traverse through things like turns or areas with a lot of trees or something.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

The camera for all intents and purposes should be fixed to the L/R buttons, swinging around you in 4 directions. Take for example the flower bit, press L two times for it be behind you, and now the flowers are in front of you then on the side. That or have it dynamically 360. Use the D-Pad to adjust height, and you're golden. Alternitavely, Circle Pad Pro support, just to allow the second stick for camera control.
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I'm just hoping the camera is dynamic in that sense, both automatic and player controlled. If I'm browsing a town I'd love to be able to change the camera by myself, or even switch to a first-person view. I'd also like the camera to move on its own as we're travelling though, so we're not stuck with the same view point where it gets awkward when we traverse through things like turns or areas with a lot of trees or something.
I don't know, first-person view when we can only walk in four directions? Would feel really awkward, especially when you walk in front of a trainer; You'd be looking at something ahead, forgetting about the trainer sitting in the corner of your eye, only for your view to be forced 90 degrees to face them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
The camera for all intents and purposes should be fixed to the L/R buttons, swinging around you in 4 directions. Take for example the flower bit, press L two times for it be behind you, and now the flowers are in front of you then on the side. That or have it dynamically 360. Use the D-Pad to adjust height, and you're golden. Alternitavely, Circle Pad Pro support, just to allow the second stick for camera control.
That I would love.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here