The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:37 AM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Evolution
Gen 3 has the largest amount of single stage Pokemon. Most of them, aren't "fine" and do need evolutions.
Agreed. A lot of those need evolutions, and actually there are other single-stage pokemon that could use pre-evos. i.e. Tauros and Miltank.

Imagine hatching a Tauros out of an egg, or a Lapras!
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengar View Post
Okay
I've just saw the new eevolution yesterday and I'm directly went to "WTF?!" reaction.
I'm gonna write something (rant) because of this. [...]
Probably the most scary part about our favorite and older Pokémon receiving new evolutions is that sometimes we're not going to like them. I want Absol to gain an evolution, but the biggest fear I have is that I'm not going to like it. The thing is, we either learn to accept them or we choose not to. Then there's the choice of using them, if at all. It's not something that's forced upon us. Either way, it happens. It just happens...

To me, Ninfia's bow and ribbons are to Leafeon's leaves or Vaporeon's tail. It's a part of that Pokémon. It's what makes it different from the other Eeveelutions, but it still has the basics and the common features to be one of them.

This is just pure speculation, but what if those ribbons on Ninfia (that's the actual Japanese name, by the way) are used to represent the item that's used for its evolution? For example, it was speculated in the CoroCoro thread that the "Nin" in Ninfia derives from Ninon. It's a light and delicate type of fabric that's sometimes referred to as the "French tergal." This certainly fits the idea of the new region being based in France as well.

If this is supposedly true, then I think that was quite creative of Sugimori to do and it makes the ribbons / bow feel more apart of who Ninfia is rather than just being there for style.

It's like you said, the designs in Pokémon are going to change. They're never going to be the same as the first generation. The same would have to be said for the Eeveelutions as well. Not everyone likes all of the old Eeveelution designs just as you don't have to like this one. It's all part of the cycle of liking / disliking a Pokémon's design. You win some, you lose some.

You don't have to like Ninfia if you don't want to. Perhaps it'll grow on you, perhaps not. But the best part is that Eevee has seven other evolutions to choose from, seven others than you can use instead of Ninfia.

I'm sure not all of the new Pokémon will disappoint you or some of the new pre-evolutions and evolutions that are likely to come. One Pokémon or even a few never speaks for an entire generation of Pokémon.
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:57 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
After looking at the list of one line families I want a shared pre evolution of the Volbeat and Illumise family now after looking at the list, it can evolve based on Gender (being the first pokemon to have two exclusive gender evolutions while others only have one), a evolution would also be nice, Bug/Fire for Volbeat and Bug/Electric for Illumise.
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Gen 3 has the largest amount of single stage Pokemon. Most of them, aren't "fine" and do need evolutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .EJ View Post
Agreed. A lot of those need evolutions, and actually there are other single-stage pokemon that could use pre-evos. i.e. Tauros and Miltank.

Like I said before, no Pokemon that has previously been created, "needs" an Evolution. They were created as they were on purpose. Any Evolutions we get adding to past lines will be made on a whim pretty much. We just want them to evolve.

While Miltank and Tauros would be cool, I really don't because we've gone 6 Generations without a pre-evolution. And if we had one with them, we'd get one with Volbeat/Illumise and any other special breeding pairs. Kinda don't want all of them to get babies.
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengar
Okay
I've just saw the new eevolution yesterday and I'm directly went to "WTF?!" reaction.
I'm gonna write something (rant) because of this. [...]
Well, that's your opinion; I respect and admire that. Yeah, sometimes we're not going to like what we see with the new pokemon revealed. Not a lot of people like Ninfia too. Maybe they were disappointed that it's been believed that Eeveelutions are supposed to be blunt, a one color, one thing going on design, and Ninfia has ribbon or something coming out of it and has a bow on; too much for an eeveelution. Although I think quite differently from that, but, it's their own opinion. Also, how can it be essential for battling? There's so much factors for it's appeal; I do wonder what GF goes from there.

Maybe Ninfias bows can be taken as a reference to butterfly kites. They're small butterfly shaped kites that have long ribbons trailing behind them in the wind. The "bows" do look like butterflies. Could that represent Flying? Ninfia's design does bear a resemblance to Sklya, Pokémon Black and White's Flying-type gym leader, and the whispy "ribbons" could point to that too.

On another topic, for its typing, I'm liking the Flying type possibility and agree with a lot of the speculations. Sometimes I've heard that Ninfia can be a bug type, because it's bows resemble butterfly wings and it has big eyes. It's already been said that all bows are of that shape, so, I'm not sure about that. And the bit about the eyes, strangely enough, Eevee is the one of its family to have the biggest eyes, so if anything, this is a plus to the Normal type theory.

There's... also the theory that it can be a dragon type, because the coloring scheme reminded people of Dragon, and not Normal. Once I remembered that 3rd gen's Dragon icon's color resemble Ninfia's name's color and Ninfia itself, I felt quite strong about this. Not only that, but it has been said that Dragon is the only original "special" type before gen IV. But yes, it's coloring could also mean Normal, but somebody mentioned that maybe gen VI will have new type icons, possibly giving Dragon the same color scheme as before. And yes, if GF wants to introduce a new type, Ninfia is a great way to do it. Another backup to the Dragon theory would definitely have to be the Zekrom/Reshiram movies. They talked about how all life used this "Dragon energy" in the earth. Maybe this new region is bursting with this Draconic energy? Maybe they'll be a new item that symbolizes this? As the eeveelutions have introduced a new evolving method with them. But, yeah, I can very easily lean towards Flying type.

Mmm, maybe Female Eevee can evolve into Ninfia by some odd means, and male Eevee can evolve into a blue masculine counterpart. That would be cool, but, imo, there has to be a second step to take. Your Eevee would need to hold something or level up near a new rock as a second requirement, but Pokemon's about choices and low requirements. Male Kirlias can become Gardevoirs if the trainer just wants a Gardevoir regardless of gender, so one would be pretty hard pressed to support the claim that Game Freak would continue to make separated gender-based pokemon in such a manner. The only time they had a boy and a girl as separate pokedex entries in the same season was with Nidoran. It doesn't seem likely they would do that again. While I would want to suggest that obtaining a Ninfia would require a hold item or leveling up with other Eevees in your party like activating a sense-of-community sort of function (this ties into those new friendship mechanics mentioned before...somehow!), maybe the Eevee short will show any indication as to what an Eevee must undergo before evolving into it's eighth choice of evolution.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie

Last edited by Miss Doronjo; February 13th, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Hmm...how do I word this post in a way that makes sense without mashed up wording.....

I really feel that, due to the methods in which eevee levels up to become Espeon and Umbreon, that it's fairly tricky to actually determine exactly how Eevee levels up to become Ninfia. On one hand, there's the leveling up method, but as explained previously(or maybe in the X/Y Gen Chat thread), that's really not plausible because Espeon/Umbreon interfere with this method. So in the end, I'd have to say it'd be around some sort of environmental piece, like a rock or something, the same way you evolve Eevee into Glaceon/Leafeon, or perhaps holding an item before it evolves(and I'm pretty sure these options are something that were mentioned before), so yeah, things of that nature.

That being said, I agree with you Shawn when you mention that maybe going for a gender-based evolution is the right method, but then again, the fact that Umbreon and Espeon are still pretty much there nulls that, since they require leveling up as an evolutionary method, too. It's a very complex thing, unless I'm looking at it wrong, really. @_@
Old February 13th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Iqid Loopz
Hail HYDRA! Long live the SITH! Team LANNISTER!

We need a Skarmory and Heracross pre or evolution stage.

Is it illegal for Nintendo/Pokemon/Game Freak to jump boat and add a 4th evolution stage or plausible 5th. ex; (Zubat>Golbat>Crobat>???(No branch off evolution like Politoed))
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Community Supporter

Maybe it evolves upon trading with another Pokémon a la Shelmet. Only it's eevee only who evolves and it could be exposure to Reshiram or Zekrom or Kyurem, or maybe even Victini's energy or a whole new Pokémon.Or maybe upon exposure to Dragon Crystal or the Flying Crystal or Normal crystal depending on what type it is.
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

That's a whole lot of trouble to go through evolving Eevee though... :(
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Meowth is going to evolve Eevee in the movie so its something to do with how Meowth evolves it. I don't think Gender has anything to do with it at all seeing as only 1 Eevee Evolution was shown. If more than one is to appear they'd have shown it as well.

So most likely outcome is new Item Evolution.
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Same the rest, huh(except like four eeveelutions)? Not really surprised, it seems like the best, most sensible way to evolve it anyway. @_@
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Liberal Army
The Emperor of Hoenn

Nature: Adamant
Well every pair of Eeveelutions (Trio in Gen 1) evolves different way, depending on generation.
In Gen 1, you've had to evolve Eevee with evolution stones. In gen 2, you've had to max out happiness and level it up at a certain time, and the last way is to level it up near a rock. So perhaps a new way to evolve Eevee into Ninfeon instead of items or outside battle? I think that Ninfeon is a Normal type since it doesn't look like any other known type.

GROUND SAFARI

Phanpy
Nincada
Diggersby
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:27 PM
BUKKØW

Nature: Brave
I think some more branch evolution's would be cool. Also gen III does need some pre-evolutions or evolution's. Mawile, tropius, torkoal, kecleon, delibird, shuckle, durant, and chatot are pokes that i think really need some kind of evolution.

3DS FC: 5429-9023-9555
Current Shinys: NONE
FRIEND SAFARI:
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:39 PM
François
#FutureHoennRemakesMod
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I don't know if this theory has been posted (sue me if so) but I found this very interesting:

Spoiler:
There's 7 Eeveelutions so far, 7 colours make a rainbow. Ninfia has 'bows' attached to it and providing the English name is based upon the word 'Nymph', this could be relevant as a nymph is, in Greek mythology a nature deity capable of changing its form. I've just looked this up and found that Ninfia's colour palate resembles a Prism Scale, which is an item that is said to split light into 7 different colours.

Therefore; a theory stands that Ninfia will be able to transform itself into any of the previous 7 Eeveelutions using the power of the rainbow, and prism scales.

Probably very unlikely but if it happened it would be quite amazing, though I'm not very happy about there being an Eeveelution that's "above" the others. Not to mention if they make an Eeveelution capable of changing into all the existing ones, it would probably mean there aren't any new ones coming.

Old February 13th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by François View Post
I don't know if this theory has been posted (sue me if so) but I found this very interesting:

Spoiler:
There's 7 Eeveelutions so far, 7 colours make a rainbow. Ninfia has 'bows' attached to it and providing the English name is based upon the word 'Nymph', this could be relevant as a nymph is, in Greek mythology a nature deity capable of changing its form. I've just looked this up and found that Ninfia's colour palate resembles a Prism Scale, which is an item that is said to split light into 7 different colours.

Therefore; a theory stands that Ninfia will be able to transform itself into any of the previous 7 Eeveelutions using the power of the rainbow, and prism scales.

Probably very unlikely but if it happened it would be quite amazing, though I'm not very happy about there being an Eeveelution that's "above" the others. Not to mention if they make an Eeveelution capable of changing into all the existing ones, it would probably mean there aren't any new ones coming.
That would require a major retcon of the already existing prism scale, which is an item exclusive to Feebas. But hey, other then that cool theory, and it makes sense why there is only 1 eeveelution insofar.
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Esper

It's hard to think of ways it you could evolve Ninfia that haven't already been covered. Teaching it a certain TM move, perhaps? That wouldn't overlap with any of the other methods of evolving Eevee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by François View Post

Spoiler:

And it has bows, as in rainbows. It's an interesting notion, but like you said it puts one Eeveelution over the other 7 and that doesn't seem likely. Simply giving it a prism scale to make it evolve? Much more likely.

deviantart blog pair
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Community Supporter

Maybe it's Dragon type, Dragon's are related to Nature in Japan while Nymphs are related to nature in the west. However when I think of Nymphs I tend to think of water, wind, and wood, types commonly associated with them, water and well grass in this case are taken so it'll leave wind or flying in this case. Also I remember the anime introduced Glaceon before Leafeon, and Umbreon before Espeon so the short could be similar introducing one before the other.
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:17 AM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Single stage aren't enough reason for them to have evos. Relicanth for example, would do just fine without evo. And even, IMO evolution would kinda ruin them.
But something like this
|
|
V
Quote:
Originally Posted by .EJ View Post

These are just few of Pokemons that I thought need evos or pre-evos
Add Onix, Kangaskhan, and Kecleon to that list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
Probably the most scary part about our favorite and older Pokémon receiving new evolutions is that sometimes we're not going to like them. I want Absol to gain an evolution, but the biggest fear I have is that I'm not going to like it. The thing is, we either learn to accept them or we choose not to. Then there's the choice of using them, if at all. It's not something that's forced upon us. Either way, it happens. It just happens...
[...]
Thanks for the response.
Well, for me what make the ribbon are not akin to other eevolution type feature is the really unnatural feel to it. It just the ribbon just thrown there without any thought. Even if that ribbon DO have special purpose that more useful than Vaporeon's fin, It wouldn't denying that it still can look a lot better.

This is such huge letdown for me, being eevolution and all. But there are still about 150+ Pokemon to go. I'm pretty sure there will be any other Pokemons that suit my liking. Just hope Sugimori Ken would bring another "Volcarona-class" or "Haxorus-class" for Generation VI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
Well, that's your opinion; I respect and admire that. Yeah, sometimes we're not going to like what we see with the new pokemon revealed. Not a lot of people like Ninfia too. Maybe they were disappointed that it's been believed that Eeveelutions are supposed to be blunt, a one color, one thing going on design, and Ninfia has ribbon or something coming out of it and has a bow on; too much for an eeveelution. Although I think quite differently from that, but, it's their own opinion. Also, how can it be essential for battling? There's so much factors for it's appeal; I do wonder what GF goes from there.

Maybe Ninfias bows can be taken as a reference to butterfly kites. They're small butterfly shaped kites that have long ribbons trailing behind them in the wind. The "bows" do look like butterflies. Could that represent Flying? Ninfia's design does bear a resemblance to Sklya, Pokémon Black and White's Flying-type gym leader, and the whispy "ribbons" could point to that too.
[...]
For me eevolution is not about being mono colored or something like that >__>
I like Ninfeon colorful design and shape. It just the ribbon that really look out of place, ruining the whole design of it.
For me that ribbon just look "cute for the sake of cuteness" nothing else. Even if that ribbons were really necessary, they could design it to look more naturally rather than being look like a contest accessories.
Thanks for the response, by the way :D

Pokemon is a Japanese RPG Made By a Japanese Developer With Japanese Audience in Mind I tell You
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
So...

Ninfia's english name is Sylveon. Does that provide any clues to it's typing? Because I thiink it's root word is Silva being the Latin word for forest or wood. Maybe not?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqid Loopz View Post
We need a Skarmory and Heracross pre or evolution stage.

Is it illegal for Nintendo/Pokemon/Game Freak to jump boat and add a 4th evolution stage or plausible 5th. ex; (Zubat>Golbat>Crobat>???(No branch off evolution like Politoed))
I wouldn't wanna see too many evolutions on one Pokemon :( Imagine if the Zubat line you mentioned had another evolution, the only thing that could become of that would be like, a vampire? idk. And even so idk if that's entirely suitable for a Pokemon design lmao.
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

The english name makes me think Flying, but the trailer screams normal-type, lol. I'm hoping for Flying, though.

Remember that Eevee statue with ground Pokemon in the first trailer? If another Eeveelution is announced after this one, I bet it will be Ground-type. I hate to use "patterns" for the basis of my speculations, but they've always released eeveelutions with types that have some sort of relation. Or maybe that statue is of the first Eevee that evolved into Sylveon, something it did so it could be around its ground-type friends without getting hurt, since Eevees evolve to adapt to their surroundings.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud

Last edited by Keiran; February 14th, 2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Community Supporter

The nymph theme to it's names in multiple languages makes me think that it is flying, if not than maybe they created a new type called Fairy...
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Liberal Army
The Emperor of Hoenn

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
The nymph theme to it's names in multiple languages makes me think that it is flying, if not than maybe they created a new type called Fairy...
I doubt it will be the flying type, since it doesn't has wings, or it is airborne. Or the 'Rainbow type', like Xerneas could be.

GROUND SAFARI

Phanpy
Nincada
Diggersby
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:46 AM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
So...

Ninfia's english name is Sylveon. Does that provide any clues to it's typing? Because I thiink it's root word is Silva being the Latin word for forest or wood. Maybe not?
Really, The I should start calling it Ninfeon Sylveon.
It can't be Grass, since we know we already had Leafeon. It keeps leaning toward Bug-type I guess.
Looks ridiculous for me since the one thing that hint of it "type" it just a ribbonbutterfly-shaped random thing.

Pokemon is a Japanese RPG Made By a Japanese Developer With Japanese Audience in Mind I tell You
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:59 AM
BUKKØW

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post

I have wanted the addition of "fairy" typing. Since fairy's are both good and evil the movepool could be dangerous.

3DS FC: 5429-9023-9555
Current Shinys: NONE
FRIEND SAFARI:
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links