The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Forever
let it go

Oh right, ya it could be abused easily, behind like, screens... and lum and stuff. :( So yeah on the side of it not really being that great of an ability, unfortunately.
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Maybe potentially switching it around so Accuracy is raised and Attack or Special Attack is dropped would work. So things like Stone Edge potentially could become more accurate, but the Attack drop wouldn't make it overpowered? That I could see working functionally without being too overpowered.
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Forever
let it go

Meh I wouldn't like the power drop. I'd just rather give it Wide Lens or something. ;(
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:02 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I would like it if we had a ability that absorbed half damage from physical attacks, it can be given to the gimmick pokemon of the generation.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Seems kind of overpowered to be honest. What happens to the other half of the damage? Is it just it does half damage, and the other half just disappears? Unless the Pokémon who got that was either frail or just had typing weak to the most common physical types (Fighting and Ground primarily), then I don't really see it happening =x
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Community Supporter

I imagine it to be Magikarp's ancestor, being hardy but having Magikarp Stats.

Anyways a ability that absorbs dragon attacks would be nice to see, it can be used to depower dragons.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

If it was an exclusive ability to like one Pokémon I guess that would be cool. I mean they can take the Dragon attacks from things like Garchomp or Haxorus, but if they were weak to other common types I guess it'd balance out. Acts as a hard Dragon move counter, but that's really it, since it can still get hit by whatever else.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Community Supporter

I'm hoping it'll be something like Ice, as it could members of that typing could use a nice ability or two.
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Forever
let it go

I could somewhat see it fitting in with Ice-types but I'm not sure how it'd work...

Unless it swaps the dragons respective attack/special attack stats with its own?? That'd be an awesome way to shut them down lmao.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I just thought of something: Since Thick Fat is an ability that lowers Fire and Ice Damage, what about an ability that lowers Electric and Water, or something related to that? Forgive me if this has been suggested already, I kind of just skimmed this page of the thread. :x
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Derk, I could see an ability like Insulation maybe? I don't know if that really pertains to Electric or Water but it could work for some type =P
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Also, you know that move Miracle Eye? I kind of find that...pointless, in a sense? At least, it would be useful for Psychic types, but why not make Miracle Eye into an ability instead of a move by itself? I never really understood that.
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Yeah that'd be a welcome change. It's pretty much useless as a move, and having it as an ability definitely wouldn't break anything so why not?
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
I just thought of something: Since Thick Fat is an ability that lowers Fire and Ice Damage, what about an ability that lowers Electric and Water, or something related to that? Forgive me if this has been suggested already, I kind of just skimmed this page of the thread. :x
Hmmm I think I'd call it Conduction. I mean it is conducting electricity and reducing it...!
Old March 19th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Also, would it be OP to make an ability exclusively to a specific Ghost-type Pokemon of this generation that makes them immune to moves that require physical contact? :x Seeing as you can't really touch Ghosts, I feel that this would be an interesting add-on~!
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
Also, would it be OP to make an ability exclusively to a specific Ghost-type Pokemon of this generation that makes them immune to moves that require physical contact? :x Seeing as you can't really touch Ghosts, I feel that this would be an interesting add-on~!
Very much so. As much as this kind of makes sense, you are now kind of making it invincible to half of the attackers that can hit it. Maybe if it had a very low Special Defense stat so it attacked as more of a glass cannon kind of thing that'd be okay I guess? Maybe if anything that had this ability had dual-typing that made it weak to common special attack types then it's Special Defense could be higher?
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Very much so. As much as this kind of makes sense, you are now kind of making it invincible to half of the attackers that can hit it. Maybe if it had a very low Special Defense stat so it attacked as more of a glass cannon kind of thing that'd be okay I guess? Maybe if anything that had this ability had dual-typing that made it weak to common special attack types then it's Special Defense could be higher?
Yeah, I guess you're right. I mean, introducing an ability like this would mean introducing an ability for flyers to dodge everything that couldn't fly, since that would mean that they could fly out of the way of attacks and whatnot. :x

Maybe make a counterpart to Intimidate that lowers Special Attack, if this hasn't been mentioned already. That would be useful~! That's all I can think of right now. xD;

Another thing I just thought of! You know how Iron Fist boosts the power of fist attacks by 1.5x? I was thinking there would be a similar ability, but for elemental attacks. Boost their power by 1.5x and negate their secondary effects. How about that?
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I've been waiting for a special Intimidate for awhile now, and I'm surprised we haven't seen it yet. So yes, I'd love to see it!
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Yamiidenryuu

I want that ability, just so I can hack it onto a Blissey for use in my illegitimate Subway runs (or the 6th gen equivalent, but whatever). :P

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

I thought of another possible ability! What about one that makes 2-turn attacks into one turn? Like Solarbeam, Sky Attack, things of that nature?
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
I don't think it'd make it too overpowered! I mean, rock would still be okay, other damaging attacks like EQ would too. It'd literally only affect touching the ghosts, so anything else aimed at ghosts could be used (which I assume is the only way to make it not really overpowered).
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
I don't think it'd make it too overpowered! I mean, rock would still be okay, other damaging attacks like EQ would too. It'd literally only affect touching the ghosts, so anything else aimed at ghosts could be used (which I assume is the only way to make it not really overpowered).
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. :x Just things like Focus Punch, Thunder Punch/Fire Punch/Ice Punch, things that require punching, kicking, or direct contact couldn't be used, but I'm still on the edge of whether that would be too much or not. xD;
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:03 PM
.Aero
Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
A lot of physical moves would be taken out of the pool if that were an ability. You can see which moves make contact here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Contact
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
I thought of another possible ability! What about one that makes 2-turn attacks into one turn? Like Solarbeam, Sky Attack, things of that nature?
Err, spamming 120 base power moves with 100% accuracy doesn't sound particularly pleasant to me =x Definitely would be overpowered in my opinion =P
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
Err, spamming 120 base power moves with 100% accuracy doesn't sound particularly pleasant to me =x Definitely would be overpowered in my opinion =P
You could say the same about Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, Thunder and the likes that get abused in competitive pretty frequently, usually with a +1 or +2 boost. :x I'd say Solarbeam would be on that same level, not much more overpowered than what we currently have. Sure they have lower accuracy, but I doubt that really changes much, does it?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links