The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:07 AM
.Aero
Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
My personal opinion on an ability like that is how niche it is. It's such a specific type of move that I wouldn't particularly find it useful. Also I have to agree with Jake, giving a 120+ base power move no charge up that is there for a reason could be ridiculously overpowered. Obviously we'd have to see it in action to see if it's even that bad. My first view is that an ability like that being added to the game wouldn't actually matter too much because it won't be that useful in the first place. So balancing might not be an issue.
Old March 20th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Aero View Post
My personal opinion on an ability like that is how niche it is. It's such a specific type of move that I wouldn't particularly find it useful. Also I have to agree with Jake, giving a 120+ base power move no charge up that is there for a reason could be ridiculously overpowered. Obviously we'd have to see it in action to see if it's even that bad. My first view is that an ability like that being added to the game wouldn't actually matter too much because it won't be that useful in the first place. So balancing might not be an issue.
But yet, I don't understand, as the aforementioned base 120 power moves in my previous post require no charge up whatsoever, and yet I hardly hear anyone talking about how overpowered they are o.o; I mean, I just really don't think it would make such a huge difference in the long run, because they have the same base power, it's just higher accuracy. I'm pretty sure a few Calm Minds would negate Solarbeam entirely, and yet you have Brave Bird which is arguably a zero-charged up version of Sky Attack.

I mean...I'm guess what I'm saying is that it shouldn't really make much of a difference. D:
Old March 20th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
The difference is that Brave Bird has recoil damage, where firing off things like Sky Attack have no recourse at all. They hit for 120 power all the time, without the chance to miss. Things like Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, Stone Edge, and Focus Blast can all miss (and tend to all the time =P). Giving moves like that absolutely no recourse (and I'd assume this would mean Hyper Beam and Giga Impact wouldn't have to recharge either) would just be way too strong.
Old March 20th, 2013, 02:27 PM
.Aero
Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Sky Attack has 140 Base Power and 90% accuracy. Regardless,

Fire Blast and Hydro Pump have that trade-off that as far as I'm concerned was a huge deal when I first joined competitive. That lowered accuracy actually made people pickup Surf or Flamethrower instead because of the prior two missing too often. That's why those moves are balanced in comparison to the 100% accuracy SolarBeam. Sky Attack gets that extra 20 base power for a 10% accuracy decrease though, essentially balancing it further.

I don't think it would be broken, again, because of how little it actually affects. I can't imagine pokemon like Lilligant getting it, but maybe something that doesn't really have anything else going for it, you know? Kind of like how Prankster was given to really bad pokemon that basically serve just that purpose (Sableye / Whimsicott / Volbeat)
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Forever
let it go

Yeah I see it as an ability that bad Pokemon could have (or good ones that are uber already). Maybe something like Shaymin-Sky, as it could learn Solarbeam and Sky Attack to suit that, etc (idk if it does, but it could be done by move tutor). I don't think normal mons would get it really.
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:24 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I hope they make an exclusive ability for the Psuedo legendary. Maybe something like that Special version of intimidate.

What about an intimidate that lowers defenses?
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Forever
let it go

Defense lowering Intimidate... ya could work. Especially if only Pokemon that are really fast had it imo, so it could strike back hard. Useless on a special attacker, ofc.
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Community Supporter

Yikes, that would make them into Lighting bruisers, or if they'll low on defenses themselves, Fragile speedsters who can sting hard.
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Forever
let it go

Hmm it could also work on like weaker attackers... kind of like Alomomola or something that could really benefit from it, although it'd lose its useful ability so idk.
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Community Supporter

Maybe it can be given to this generation's Alomomola. It'll be nice to give them a little more sting.
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Forever
let it go

Nah maybe not. Just a defensive Pokemon in general that lacks Regenerator. Maybe SR users could be given it due to being mostly ground/rock etc.
Old March 29th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Community Supporter

How about an ability which decreases one of the opponents stats at random by two stages, and ups one by one, sort of like giving the opponent the opposite of Moody.
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
^ Haha, sounds cool to me. :D
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Forever
let it go

Sounds fun but a little too strong. Although I guess I could relate it to Liepard's Swagger, and I guess it wouldn't be too strong. Just extremely annoying. Hmm yeah I wouldn't mind it actually.
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

It would be totally unreliable (fore the user) and annoying (for the opponent) but it will certainly be lulzy. Hehe!
Old March 30th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Forever
let it go

Also guys how about an ability that actually enlarges you? Like, the Pokemon gets uh, larger in sprite, like Minimize, but instead this'd be an ability and when you come in you can take hits better, and it's like a gigantic substitute that works like Multiscale, but is broken only if there's a Super Effective attack on you...?
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:05 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
But would that mean you would take said SE attack better, and then it breaks, or does that not apply to the SE attack in itself?
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Forever
let it go

Hmmm probably like Multiscale so you would take it better, and that's the only thing to break it - and it can't be restored!
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Community Supporter

How about an ability that powers up wind based moves such as Ominious wind, Gust, Huricane, etc. One for sound based moves would be nice too.
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

An ability that increases accuracy and power of sound-based moves would be cool.
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Forever
let it go

Or maybe accuracy of special moves just in general? I know Focus Blast could definitely benefit from an ability like that :x
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Liberal Army
The Emperor of Hoenn

Nature: Adamant
We've had abilities like Iron Barbs and Rough Skin that hurt the opponent when used a psysical move. But I want an ability that will only hurt the opponent when used a special move. Also an Intimidate-like Ability that lowers the foes Sp.Attack stat by one.

ENOUGH WITH THE CHALLENGES OK?!?
No wait... There is this one challenge... Check out the Species Challenge for some fun!

Ground Safari with Phanpy, Nincada and ??? (Please add me so you can find out!)
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendhunter14 View Post
We've had abilities like Iron Barbs and Rough Skin that hurt the opponent when used a psysical move. But I want an ability that will only hurt the opponent when used a special move. Also an Intimidate-like Ability that lowers the foes Sp.Attack stat by one.
I'm not sure what kind of ability could be used to damage those who use special attacks. Physical attacks make sense because you're making physical contact with the other Pokémon, but Sp. Attacks are from a distance so there's no real way to get damaged in the same way.

A Special Attack Intimidate would be great though! Or maybe just alter Intimate's ability to include both, like they did with Growth in Gen V.
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Community Supporter

Also physical moves are differen't from Physical contact, as can be seen when one uses Earthquake (a physical move) one does physical damage but the user isn't hurt as it's from a distance. Most special are distance moves as already said, however they're proably a few special contact moves (can't think of any right now) that would cause the user to be damaged by such a abilities, so there's no need. Now an ability for pokemon who use far distance moves...I guess it'll be something like Bounce-back where some damage get's bounced back to the user so something...
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:54 PM
The_Consumer

An ability that allows a Pokemon to be invisible for a turn after using all of the moves it knows
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links