The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Denny Hamlin
The S o u l Survivor

Nature: Brave

Advertise here
Now that the next Pokemon game will be on the 3DS exclusively, I think there's time for those who don't have a 3DS (like myself) to save up money towards the release date of the games. Like someone said in this thread (forgot who, sorry!), there's a possibility that the 3DS (albeit the regular one, and not the XL) will be at a cheaper price, not to mention, there might be bundles.

Highly doubt people will turn away from the 3DS. With Pokemon finally on the 3DS, I'm sure a lot of fans will be buying it like hot bread.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Nah, pretty much most people own a 3DS by now. I already have a 3DS, and I'd be assuming most people here would have a 3DS.

Well... OK, maybe not most people, maybe some still have a DSi or DSi XL, but sooner or later the DSi will no longer be sold anyways. So therefore expecting people to buy a Nintendo 3DS instead if they're looking for a Nintendo handheld device.

But I highly doubt it would prevent people from going and buying the new games, 'cause it's going to encourage more people to buy a Nintendo 3DS so they can play the games, then everyone will think "WOW, THESE ARE THE BEST GAMES EVER MADE". xD

I'm so amazed by the games that I felt like watching the trailer over and over and over again. So I'm definitely not avoiding Pokémon X and Y, in fact... I'm buying both of them. :P

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:12 PM
jellotime91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
...sooner or later the DSi will no longer be sold anyways.
Nintendo still sells the DS Lite at Wal-Mart for $140.

Don't count on them discontinuing obsolete hardware. I hate that they still sell the old hardware, because it definitely confuses people who are trying to buy the latest DS as a gift for their kids.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Ω & α... Join the Bandwagon!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Anyway, you'll be able to pick up a 3DS very cheaply by October, I've seen a few around for $160, which shouldn't be too much for most folks. 3DS's are gonna be flying out the door by October, a very smart move on Nintendo's part.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Deceit
Toxic.

Nature: Timid
Honestly, even though I'm planning to get a 3DS because of this, I think it matters on how well GF sells X and Y. Obviously, to sell a game they have to make it look good, but to get people to buy the console makes the person think a bit. Is it really worth it? I know many people are still hung up about how pokemon is so different now, and all the generation V pokemon suck compared to the first few generations. Now there is already a new generation for those people to complain about. And because of this, GF will really have to make it look fun, or at least this is what I think. But then again, there are those pokemon crazy people, like some of us, that will get the game regardless of the console.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:37 PM
PikachuAddict
Mime Jr.

Nature: Naughty
I'm definitely saving up to get a 3DS, as well as get the game. The 3D battling would be enough to make it worth it for me.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:10 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellotime91 View Post

Don't count on them discontinuing obsolete hardware. I hate that they still sell the old hardware, because it definitely confuses people who are trying to buy the latest DS as a gift for their kids.
Where on earth are you getting your prices from, haha?(excuse me if you are in a different country but that is kind of ridiculous for the U.S.) DSi's are ~ $100 while the XLs are ~ $130 at the Walmart here, so why would a retailer sell the Ds Lite for $10 more than the XL version of the superior remodel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deceit View Post
Honestly, even though I'm planning to get a 3DS because of this, I think it matters on how well GF sells X and Y. Obviously, to sell a game they have to make it look good, but to get people to buy the console makes the person think a bit. Is it really worth it? I know many people are still hung up about how pokemon is so different now, and all the generation V pokemon suck compared to the first few generations. Now there is already a new generation for those people to complain about. And because of this, GF will really have to make it look fun, or at least this is what I think. But then again, there are those pokemon crazy people, like some of us, that will get the game regardless of the console.
As has been said before, there are TONS of variations on animals such as spiders, dogs, birds, etc. in the real world so why should pokemon be limited to say having only one fox or one this/that? Yes, some may seem uninspiring but there are also those who look like a pretty great variation on a type of animal we already have some of and it makes the whole Poke world look more diverse.

I have to agree that those who only complain about future generation pokemon and go back to the whole 'gen *number* is where it went downhill' just have their nostalgia glasses on a bit tight. It's one thing to not like specific pokemon, but considering a whole region-and-onward's pokemon trash? Pretty harsh...

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922

Last edited by C Payne; January 8th, 2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:27 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
I think all the Ds are compatible with 3ds games you just dont have the 3D ability. Im glad I have my 3DS tho
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:

You can still nab even the original DS off of Amazon for around $60.

While I think they'll stop making DS games, I don't think the Original DS/DS Lite/DSi will all just poof and go away. I can understand how it would make things confusing, but the main thing that's on most store's shelves nowadays is the 3DS, so yeah. u_u
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Munchlax11
Munch?

Nature: Serious
I'm going to buy a 3DS because of these games. X and Y are the basically the sole reason I'm buying one.

|Ever Grande City Forums|My Profile|PM|Pokemoon Chatbox

Pokemon X
3DS FC: 2852-7439-1811
(VM if you add)
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Delphini

Nature: Hasty
You also have several months before it comes out. Even a kid on a modest allowance should be able to save the required cash in time for release day. As for me, this certainly tips the scale on me pulling the trigger and snagging a shiny new 3DS XL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
I think all the Ds are compatible with 3ds games you just dont have the 3D ability. Im glad I have my 3DS tho
Nope, totally different hardware. DS and 3DS games are NOT compatible. If they were, I'd surely be playing Mario Kart 7 and such on my DSI by now.

Last edited by Delphini; January 8th, 2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
A love letter to those arguing that the DS Lite is still on sale - it's not. It was officially discontinued in 2011. DSi is the only currently-selling previous generation console, and that's merely because Nintendo are marketing it as a budget device to get into what DS games still exist in the world. No thanks to Pokémon Black 2 and White 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Wrong. 3DS titles cannot be played on a DS console at all.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
These games have made me excited enough to actually want a 3DS. Not to mention there are a few nifty games for the 3DS like Zelda Ocarina of Time, Star Fox, and of course Mario...

Damn, I'm really thinking about getting one, should I...? :D

Anyway, back in the old days, Crystal was a GBC exclusive. That didn't stop people from buying it, although Crystal was one of the lowest-selling third versions...

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
I think if any game can boost and push the 3DS, it would be Pokemon. If I am honest, the announcement of the game and my first views of it, it is making me consider getting a 3DS later down the line for the game.
This. I already have a 3DS, but with the graphics they really went above and beyond and didn't use BW graphics and call them "3D." It really is 3D, looking at the trailers. (hopefully they aren't just funny camera angles like on Skyarrow Bridge!) I wasn't actually excited for the next game, because I assumed that it would be like PMD3's graphics which look mostly clunky, but these are nice!
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:

No they don't. DS lites have been removed from Wal-Mart's sales catalog for a while now. They also wouldn't be $140 when the price of the DSi is $99. DS, DSlite, and DSiXL are all discontinued by Nintendo and most stores were forced to send them back upon being discontinued. The DSi is to be discontinued later this year supposedly. DSlites have been discontinued for almost a year now though. Nintendo is forcing the generation switch for the handhelds.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
The only places I've seen DS Lites are those that sell refurbished consoles, Nintendo's given people more than enough time to come over to the next generation - it was getting a bit ridiculous still releasing major games for the DS.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Pingouin7
¬‿¬
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
Oh, and also, you are underestimating the Pokémon fanbase.
Sure, many cannot afford a 3DS right now. But they won't just go "oh well, looks like I'll be skipping the 6th gen."
They go "omfgwtfbbq I need a 3DS right now!", save up for a 3DS/ask for one as a gift/etc., then get the game. Because Pokémon.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Zayphora
Don't mess with the lights...

Nature: Sassy
I will never be able to get a 3DS because my parents think that my DS lite is good enough, so I feel like I've been booted out of the fandom. Business decision? great! But personally I hate it even though it'll make the games a lot better.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:17 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
Pokemon has NEVER had a problem jumping to a new console. In fact, Pokemon will be the driving force behind 3DS sales in October.

"But what about the people that can't afford a new console?"

There are 9 regular pokemon games for the DS PLUS a million spin-off games. No sympathy for the people who can't afford the Brand New Games on Release Day. They have more than enough Pokemon games already. Plus the DS has the largest Game Library of any handheld ever, so They got Options.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
It was only a matter of time before Pokémon migrated over onto the 3DS. This isn't a surprise to be honest. They should have done it with B2/W2, or even Black and White, but they held back. This isn't the first time Pokémon has moved onto the next big selling console either. They've done it multiple times before and this isn't going to be the last ─ unless, Nintendo never makes a new handheld and stops at the 3DS, which is very unlikely.

I, myself, have been withholding from getting a 3DS until the right time came to buy one. For me, that time was when GameFreak finally decided to release a main title on the system, which they have - and it looks quite smashing might I add.

I can't buy one right now due to not having the money, but you can bet before October rolls around, I'll be a new owner of a 3DS and Pokémon X/Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayphora View Post
I will never be able to get a 3DS because my parents think that my DS lite is good enough, so I feel like I've been booted out of the fandom. Business decision? great! But personally I hate it even though it'll make the games a lot better.
If you're old enough, I'd recommend it's high time to find a job and save up some money for one. If not, you could always sell some old things you no longer need or use to save up money for a 3DS in time to buy one or both of the new games. Your parents couldn't stop you from getting one then, I'm sure.
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:42 PM
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
actually, most people i know just haven't bought the 3DS because the games aren't that great. i'm sure the pokemon fans will be able to get enough money to trade in their DSi and maybe an old pokemon game for a 3DS and pokemon x/y.

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Aleux

I really do wish they could release it on the DS versions. I'm not going to get the 3DS just for Pokemon X & Y.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Looks like you'll be missing out then. Don't think anyone wants to release for an outdated console.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Aquanova
Shiny Celebi's Alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon7991 View Post
I really do wish they could release it on the DS versions. I'm not going to get the 3DS just for Pokemon X & Y.
They've dropped the DS officially, it isnt going to happen. Game Freak had to move to the 3DS, they've had to do this for every new system Nintendo makes, if they didnt they would lose money and Nintendo would not support them if they didnt move to the next system. This is just the way it is and how the video game business works.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

Until they start releasing these games for the Game Boy I AM SO DONE WITH NINTENDO.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here