The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 16th, 2013 (04:41 PM).
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmatt View Post
GUYS!

Listen, after reading a bunch of info and stuff, I'm betting the Fairy type is the real deal

Just see the first trailer from X&Y... when the starters are showcasing their attacks...
Chespin uses a grass attack on a water pokémon. Super effective.
Chespin uses a dark attack on a ghost pokémon. Super effective.
Froakie uses a water attack on a fire pokémon. Super effective.
Froakie uses a fighting attack on a normal pokémon. Super effective.

Now, for my "discovery"
Fennekin uses a *fire* attack on a *fairy*¨pokémon. Super effective! (And yes, this means that I've read that Munchlax and Snorlax get reclassified as Fairy pokémon)
Fennekin uses a *psychic*¨attack on yet another *fairy* pokémon. Super effective!(Here, I'm also assuming Kirlia will get reclassified as Fairy)

It all makes sense, and it would be a very clever way of secretly showcasing this new typing, from day one!
I don't think it showed what was super effective and what wasn't... Do you have a link to that footage because I've never seen any super effective tags or anything...

Old May 16th, 2013 (04:55 PM).
Dmatt
Medium-Rare Trainer

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by LycaNinja View Post
I don't think it showed what was super effective and what wasn't... Do you have a link to that footage because I've never seen any super effective tags or anything...
Common sense.

I just based on the other two, using commonly known attacks on pokemon we already know (Magikarp, Golruk, the fire monkey and Patrat). It was Fennekin the only one that didn't make sense as to why he would be using those attacks on those seemingly not-very effective pokemon.
White : 0905 9140 0338

My thread: Trades, EV services, Breeding. Clicky.
Old May 16th, 2013 (05:01 PM).
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Quote:
Common sense.

I just based on the other two, using commonly known attacks on pokemon we already know (Magikarp, Golruk, the fire monkey and Patrat). It was Fennekin the only one that didn't make sense as to why he would be using those attacks on those seemingly not-very effective pokemon.
I'm saying I haven't seen a video with this on it at all... So I must have missed one everyone else saw...

They could also just be showing off animations so it doesn't prove anything... Why would Fire and Psychic types be super effective to Fairy? We already know its strong against Ice and weak again Poison... I don't see, logically, why those would be super effective.

Old May 16th, 2013 (05:02 PM).
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Common sense.

Fennekin using a Fire-type attack on Munchlax is nothing out of the ordinary. Munchlax doesn't resist it unless it has the Thick Fat ability, which still doesn't technically resist it. Fennekin using a Psychic-type attack on Kirlia is absolutely no basis for you saying that Kirlia will be retyped as a 'Fairy-type'.

It's just showcasing their moves against different Pokemon, that's literally it. If anything the purpose of that was to hint at their possible future dual-types (I personally believe they'll be Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting) and to show us which Pokemon could potentially be found in the game.

I've seen the trailers and there isn't a single indication of a new type. People are just getting overhyped because of all of the new features that we're finally getting (diagonal movement, customization, outfits) and want even more. There has already been enough proof that Sylveon will probably be Flying or Bug just by its name.

Old May 16th, 2013 (05:21 PM).
Dmatt
Medium-Rare Trainer

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by LycaNinja View Post
I'm saying I haven't seen a video with this on it at all... So I must have missed one everyone else saw...

They could also just be showing off animations so it doesn't prove anything... Why would Fire and Psychic types be super effective to Fairy? We already know its strong against Ice and weak again Poison... I don't see, logically, why those would be super effective.
It was the very first world wide Pokemon X&Y trailer... It's on Youtube, it starts by Pikachu "talking" and introducing the new generation...

And yes, I know it's a long shot, but it also kinda fits. I also have found discrepancies between what types are super effective against Fairy, as well as the final typing of the starters, but that's part of the guessing game, until we have actual proof.
White : 0905 9140 0338

My thread: Trades, EV services, Breeding. Clicky.
Old May 16th, 2013 (05:31 PM).
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzaleaLightning View Post
Fennekin using a Fire-type attack on Munchlax is nothing out of the ordinary. Munchlax doesn't resist it unless it has the Thick Fat ability, which still doesn't technically resist it. Fennekin using a Psychic-type attack on Kirlia is absolutely no basis for you saying that Kirlia will be retyped as a 'Fairy-type'.

It's just showcasing their moves against different Pokemon, that's literally it. If anything the purpose of that was to hint at their possible future dual-types (I personally believe they'll be Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting) and to show us which Pokemon could potentially be found in the game.

I've seen the trailers and there isn't a single indication of a new type. People are just getting overhyped because of all of the new features that we're finally getting (diagonal movement, customization, outfits) and want even more. There has already been enough proof that Sylveon will probably be Flying or Bug just by its name.
Sylveon took reduced damage from an Ice attack and took extra damage from a Poison attack... I don't know of a typing that does that... It's a new type...

Old May 16th, 2013 (05:31 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzaleaLightning View Post

The only real indication people have was the Smash video where they were showcasing Sylveon's potential type with the different strengths and weaknesses, which didn't match up to any current types. I mean, I'm still gunning for there not being a new type, but I guess that's pretty decent evidence for a new type. But seriously, here's hoping there isn't one =x
Old May 18th, 2013 (02:56 PM). Edited May 21st, 2013 by MiloticFan.
MiloticFan
Unhatched Egg

I would love the fairy type to be introduced, as we have dragon, and it actually makes sense, as a lot of old Pokémon would fit into this typing...

I thought we could maybe discuss what Pokémon and moves we'd like to see get retyped, rather than speculate how it will fit into the type chart! Here are my thoughts!
Cleffa: Fairy
Clefairy: Fairy
Clefable: Fairy
Igglybuff: Fairy
Jigglypuff: Fairy
Wigglytuff: Fairy
Happiny: Fairy
Chansey: Fairy
Blissey: Fairy
Togepi: Fairy
Audino: Fairy
Lickitung: Fairy/Normal
Lickilicky: Fairy/Normal
Snorlax: Fairy/Normal
Snubbull: Fairy/Normal
Granbull: Fairy/Normal
Skitty: Fairy/Normal
Delcatty: Fairy/Normal
Togetic: Fairy/Flying
Togekiss: Fairy/Flying
Swablu: Fairy/Flying
Bellossom: Grass/Fairy
Lilligant: Grass/Fairy
Shaymin (Land Form): Grass/Fairy
Celebi: Fairy/Grass
Misdreavus: Ghost/Fairy
Mismagius: Ghost/Fairy
Volbeat: Bug/Fairy
Illumise: Bug/Fairy
Milotic: Water/Fairy
Luvdisc: Water/Fairy
Phione: Water/Fairy
Alomomola: Water/Fairy
Gardevoir: Psychic/Fairy
Uxie: Psychic/Fairy
Mesprit: Psychic/Fairy
Azelf: Psychic/Fairy
Mienshao: Fighting/Fairy
Mawile: Steel/Fairy
Jirachi: Fairy/Steel
Plusle: Electric/Fairy
Minun: Electric/Fairy
And of course Sylveon would be this type, and maybe Xerneas will be fairy/ground with Yveltal being dark/flying? The moves that I think should become fairy moves are After You, Assist, Bestow, Charm, Heal Bell, Healing Wish, Heal Pulse, Lovely Kiss, Lucky Chant, Lunar Dance, Present, Refresh, Relic Song, Simple Beam, Softboiled, Sweet Kiss, Teeter Dance, Tickle and Wish.

Let me know what you think!
Old May 18th, 2013 (06:34 PM).
MarinoKadame

I begin to think if the rumors are true and the difference between Smash chart and rumor chart it could mean we could have 2 new types. One would be Fairy and the other could be something like Sound.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old May 18th, 2013 (06:51 PM).
PokéWanderer
Unhatched Egg

There's always a possibility for a new type wtih each generation. I think one type will be the new eeveelution. I also think there might be a possibility that the new pseudo-legendary will be a new type.
Old May 18th, 2013 (07:29 PM).
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

They could also be reworking the type chart altogether to stir up meta...

Old May 18th, 2013 (09:30 PM).
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
@MiloticFan, dude, how could you forget the most Fairiest Pokémon dude, Celebi??!!!
Also, Fairy being weak to Poison is kind of making sense, but being resistant or super-effective against Ice...? How? :v
Personally, I was against the addition of a new type, but a Fairy type is something I certainly like, especially that it brings more value to one of my favorite types: Poison as well as if the new type comes up to be true we will most likely see many bulky Normal Pokémon get that type and be competitively better. *__* (lol, poor Chansey. :p)
Old May 20th, 2013 (02:50 AM).
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Well Evil is the Japanese equivalent of our Dark type, so unless Fairy is the opposite of Evil then I doubt Light will be the international name for this new type.

Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Old May 20th, 2013 (03:07 AM).
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivvon View Post
Why change the name at all for the international release? We already have the Fairy Egg Group. If anything, the Japanese name would be Yousei.

Maybe we'll all be surprised when Sylveon turns out to be the first dual-type Eevee evolution lol xD
Fairy and Yousei are the same word... Obviously Fairy would be called Yousei, but we'd translate that to English... Which is Fairy... So Fairy type there... Changed to Light here... It makes sense... See below... No dual typing will allow for the same type matchups as Sylveon... Its either a new type or they changed the chart... 0% chance its a dual type...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
Well Evil is the Japanese equivalent of our Dark type, so unless Fairy is the opposite of Evil then I doubt Light will be the international name for this new type.
That doesn't matter at all... Japanese have Evil and Hero as mirrored types (although Hero obviously wins...) We need a Dark and Light counter because that makes more sense in our own language... Preferably Dark and Light are both SE to each other... We've been BUGGING the dubbers and GameFreak since Gen II to make a Light type... Changing Fairy to Light will be an easy cop out to get fans off their backs... Plus people will complain about Fairy more than Light in the dubs...

Old May 22nd, 2013 (02:39 AM).
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

I agree that calling the new type (if there is one) the "Light" type makes more sense, from a localization standpoint. There are already pokemon who have the Fairy species, and there is already a Fairy egg group. I just don't think it would make sense to name a type after already existing precedents like that, even though there are plenty of dragon species pokemon. Plus, the word "fairy" has some negative connotations in our culture, and if it was a type it would get far more use. That might seem silly, but yeah.

The only way I would be comfortable with a new type is if it was Light type anyway, haha. If that Sylveon stuff is true, then it would make sense, because physical light can generate heat and therefore be supereffective against Ice, and light as a moral concept would obviously be opposed to negative aspects like Dark and Poison.
Old May 22nd, 2013 (02:44 AM). Edited May 22nd, 2013 by mikhaild.
mikhaild
Student

I would die for a light type. I mean tho we have that fighting contrasts dark already lalala light is still a good addition, and way more sensical than a fairy type. I like stuff that seem holy n divine and arceus could mascot that concept. It being normal is both sensical and nonsensical in some ways

Edit: from what we have tho i think the chances of fairy type making it is higher than light type. Too many pink stuff cutsie cutsies like sylveon happening
Trade Shoppe | On Hiatus
Old May 24th, 2013 (10:58 AM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhaild View Post
I would die for a light type. I mean tho we have that fighting contrasts dark already lalala light is still a good addition, and way more sensical than a fairy type. I like stuff that seem holy n divine and arceus could mascot that concept. It being normal is both sensical and nonsensical in some ways

Edit: from what we have tho i think the chances of fairy type making it is higher than light type. Too many pink stuff cutsie cutsies like sylveon happening
I don't know about you, but isn't Fairy type pretty much Light type?? Assuming that it's proven true, then wouldn't it be the exact same thing you're looking for? If I'm understanding correctly, Fairies are mythical creatures and are usually associated with Light (or at least, that's how I see it, I suppose), so I see them as both one and the same.

Though honestly, I just don't understand the whole argument of "There's a Dark-type, why isn't there a Light-type". I think it's already been explained in this thread that Fighting-type is Light-type in a sense, but I can't exactly really find the explanation of it so I guess I'll just leave it at that. I think it has something to do with it's translation being "Hero type" in Japan, and Heros are kind of like warriors of goodness/light, stuff like that, that defeat the forces of evil, things of that nature.

...Yeah that was pretty badly worded. The best I could explain it, anyway.

In any case though, I don't want a new type. At the same time I'm pretty much indifferent, but my fears lie within this new type throwing the type chat off balance, which I hope it doesn't do. As long as that doesn't happen, I would be fine with it. xD
Old May 24th, 2013 (05:46 PM).
tente2
"Outta my way, dammit!"

Nature: Bashful
I want a new type with all my heart. Preferably the rumored Fairy type, but anything not silly will be fine. Pokemon is getting a little stale, always trying the keep the status quo, in my opinion.

I don't want a "Light" type, honestly, but I'd just like to point out the Fighting type is nothing like a Light type. What connotation do they even have? Fighting is, well, fighting... and light is... light? They're about as related as the Bug and Water types, I think.

Sylveon is the biggest hint to a new type, if there will be one. It's Japanese name was Ninfia, or something, right? From "nymph"? Aren't those supposed to be some sort of fairy or something in folklore? And the "Sylv" bit could have something to do with forests, since fairies are supposed to be all nature-like, right? (Wasn't "silva" Latin for forest...?)

Do pardon the messy typing, but those are my thoughts. I just want a new, reasonable type so that it seems like Gamefreak isn't making their Pokemon games from cookie molds anymore.
Old May 25th, 2013 (01:25 PM).
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I wonder if they will reveal this alleged new type tonight? Pokemon Smash is due to air with some news so I'm hoping that could be what they're talking about since it involves Sylveon etc.

Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Old May 25th, 2013 (11:06 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
I wonder if they will reveal this alleged new type tonight? Pokemon Smash is due to air with some news so I'm hoping that could be what they're talking about since it involves Sylveon etc.
Nope. Just movie trailers, of course, and some stuff that we pretty much already know about, anyway. Though it's interesting how they replayed some old Gen III stuff, it's a step in a positive direction that they might be revisiting the old Hoenn region this generation. n__n; I would like that, personally.

Aaanyway...

If a new type isn't revealed by the time the next Smash episode comes out, I'm having at least a slight sigh of relief, and that'll probably put those "new type" rumors to rest. >.>
Old May 26th, 2013 (07:11 AM).
iTeruri
iAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tente2 View Post
I don't want a "Light" type, honestly, but I'd just like to point out the Fighting type is nothing like a Light type. What connotation do they even have? Fighting is, well, fighting... and light is... light? They're about as related as the Bug and Water types, I think.
Light is about being pure at heart and doing good, the fighting type is about honorable fighting. Not exactly the same, but when considering that dirty fighting is evil/dark in Pokémon, yeah, fighting is the closest thing we have to a light type.

Light, of course, also has the literal meaning of light (as in photons 'n stuff). That's covered by other types; electric, fire and grass all have light-based attacks.

Fairy type could mix honorable fighting, general friendliness and having magical powers. I mean we already have magic (pretty much any type, but mostly psychic) and honorable fighting, but the combination is new, I think. It's not a literal element, so it's hard to predict what it'll be like.
Old May 26th, 2013 (07:44 AM).
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
GUYS!

Listen, after reading a bunch of info and stuff, I'm betting the Fairy type is the real deal

Just see the first trailer from X&Y... when the starters are showcasing their attacks...
Chespin uses a grass attack on a water pokémon. Super effective.
Chespin uses a dark attack on a ghost pokémon. Super effective.
Froakie uses a water attack on a fire pokémon. Super effective.
Froakie uses a fighting attack on a normal pokémon. Super effective.

Now, for my "discovery"
Fennekin uses a *fire* attack on a *fairy*¨pokémon. Super effective! (And yes, this means that I've read that Munchlax and Snorlax get reclassified as Fairy pokémon)
Fennekin uses a *psychic*¨attack on yet another *fairy* pokémon. Super effective!(Here, I'm also assuming Kirlia will get reclassified as Fairy)

It all makes sense, and it would be a very clever way of secretly showcasing this new typing, from day one!

I know I'm way late. Frokie used a Normal Type attack, not a fighting typed one. It was shown in the last issue of CoroCoro that Froakie learns Quick Attack and the way the move was used resembled Quick Attack the most so Froakie being Fighting type isn't really in the question as his attack was Normal typed.

Chespin has also been shown to learn Roll Out So it could become a Grass/Rock type. We still don't know if Fennekin even used a Psychic attack. She may not learn any Psychic attacks at all. Nothing from the original video shows any kinda of match up for a new type. Only info we have for the new type is the Sylveon Skit that showed she was strong against Ice and Weak against Poison.
Old May 26th, 2013 (10:34 AM).
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTeruri View Post
Light is about being pure at heart and doing good, the fighting type is about honorable fighting. Not exactly the same, but when considering that dirty fighting is evil/dark in Pokémon, yeah, fighting is the closest thing we have to a light type.
This does make sense in a way, but Fighting is definitely a Physical type, and Light on the other hand sounds a lot like a special-based type to me. Especially if you think of Fairies and magic creatures, they rely more on spells than on physical strength.

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old May 26th, 2013 (04:34 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Only info we have for the new type is the Sylveon Skit that showed she was strong against Ice and Weak against Poison.
Though it's debatable about whether or not the skit itself should be taken seriously. If anything, it's actually possible that it could be the first eeveelution dual-type, but I digress. I still don't think it's solid evidence of a new type, in any way.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links