The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 16th, 2013, 01:28 PM
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoroarkrules25 View Post
A nature type sounds reasonable and that chart seems ok.
nature is way to close to grass, might as well make a spark type to go with electric. or explosion to go with fire, pretty pointless.

hehe, got everyone to argue over fairy type. we need a new emblem for spreading rumors. it could still happen but at the moment i think its the new ??? type which has no weakness, no resistance and is x1 effective on everything. you can hack for it in past games and it was what was shown as the type for curse in diamond, correct?

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:22 PM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Even after everything that's been said I'd still like to avoid the Fairy typing. ;( Plus! They can easily fit into the other typings as it is, and it doesn't seem like an overly major thing. Maybe a mammal type idk but that wouldn't seem that strangeee.
Mammal type is too broad and considering how Pokemon hatched from egg (even for me it just ludonarrative dissonance), it wouldn;t work from the start comapred to Fairy.
Fairy is kinda for "magical" Pokemon that their power isn't suited for Psychic power of the Mind or Dragon power of the Mystic. Yeah, Fairy type indeed sound more reasonable than "Magic" type >__>
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
Hm... now about another new type I was thinking about that actually fits Sylveon's name. It's called Natural-type and not to be mistaken by Grass-type, as it includes everything that is not man-made, such as water, animals, ice and plants. And doing things naturally

Offense
x2: Dark and Ghost
1/2: Fire, Electric, Water, Grass and Ice
x0: N/A

Defense
x2: Fire, Electric and Poison
1/2: Water, Grass, Ice, Dark and Ghost
x0: N/A

Please let me know if there's any types that might be causing some imbalances.
Nah ah, its not about balance or imbalance. Nature is again too broad most element of nature like grass, fire, water, rock, ground, electric, and ice already a type on their own. Normal even sounds like more "Nature" to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman View Post
hehe, got everyone to argue over fairy type. we need a new emblem for spreading rumors. it could still happen but at the moment i think its the new ??? type which has no weakness, no resistance and is x1 effective on everything. you can hack for it in past games and it was what was shown as the type for curse in diamond, correct?
Well, it because somehow Fairy fitted for Pokemon game afterall, considering some state of Legendary like Celebi or Jirachi. For me, I also like Fairy because it sound lot fairer than Light type that tend to Black-White-ing up because of it close association of "holiness and purity".

Pokemon is a Japanese RPG Made By a Japanese Developer With Japanese Audience in Mind I tell You
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Pokemoan
Unhatched Egg

Isn't Fairy-type is just too subjective? (beside Ghost)
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:29 AM
A3R0D4C7YL
Dark Type Master

I'd want to see a Poison/Dragon dragon or a Water/Psychic dolphin
What about u guys? What kind of new pokemon do U wanna see in X and Y?
Light and Sound type doesn't count...THERE WAS AND NEVER WILL BE A Sound OR Light type

My Youtube: http://youtube.com/superstition456
So yea...subscribe or something!

Aerodactyl! Weavile! ATTACK!!!

Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:35 AM
Haza
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Not only do they need to add LIGHT and SOUND, but they need to make WATER strong against STEEL (because of water damage and rusting), and POISON needs to be buffed up a little. The most obvious strength that should be added is advantage over WATER (water pollution).

I don't see any reason why sound based moves have to remain in a miscellaneous type group when it'd a perfect type in itself. And light can be translated to "holy" or "pure" to counter dark's "evil" translation. In a perfect world for me this would all happen.

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:25 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Apart from me speculating about Light-type, I've also been thinking that they should also make Steel-type strong against Electric-type Pokémon, since metal conducts electricity and Electric-type only has one type that it's weak against.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haza View Post
Not only do they need to add LIGHT and SOUND, but they need to make WATER strong against STEEL (because of water damage and rusting), and POISON needs to be buffed up a little. The most obvious strength that should be added is advantage over WATER (water pollution).

I don't see any reason why sound based moves have to remain in a miscellaneous type group when it'd a perfect type in itself. And light can be translated to "holy" or "pure" to counter dark's "evil" translation. In a perfect world for me this would all happen.
Hm... as far as I know, not all types of metals rust from oxidation, it's only metals that are close to iron that actually rust. Perhaps there should be a new ability called "Iron Plate", which makes it take x1.5 damage from Water-type attacks, but take 1/4 damage when hit by other attacks except for what it's weak against. ;)

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Sagiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
Apart from me speculating about Light-type, I've also been thinking that they should also make Steel-type strong against Electric-type Pokémon, since metal conducts electricity and Electric-type only has one type that it's weak against.

Hm... as far as I know, not all types of metals rust from oxidation, it's only metals that are close to iron that actually rust. Perhaps there should be a new ability called "Iron Plate", which makes it take x1.5 damage from Water-type attacks, but take 1/4 damage when hit by other attacks except for what it's weak against. ;)
I think you're confused, there, pal. If anything, they'd change it to make Electric suppereffective on Steel. Water conducts electricity, and they chose to make it weak to it because of that. If they reversed that for Steel types, that'd just be bizarre.

I really can't see any new types getting added, there's just no point. Steel and Dark were introduced for the purposes of balance, because of the all-powerfulness of Psychic-types. There isn't really any major unbalance any more.

Plus, even if they did just want to add it for fun, why wouldn't they have added it sooner? Unless they super-saturate this generation with a particular type, any new type would be so rare as to be practically irrelevant. Even Ghost, the least populous type, has 27 Pokemon, which to introduce even near that amount of any one type in the span of a generation would be ridiculous.

There are so many things they could do without adding in new types. Just look at the list of unused type combinations, or reuse type combinations, but base them off of totally different Pokemon with totally different stats. Adding types just seems like a crutch to avoid the creativity of coming up with, for example, a Fire / Grass type.
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I really don't see the point for new types, especially something like Light or Sound. All hat could really do is throw off the balance that the games currently have, and the introduction of new types only came to balance out Psychic types because everything was hit by it in the first generation. I doubt Game Freak would retool something so balanced just to please the fans, it wouldn't make sense.
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:29 PM
MarinoKadame

Why not have a Rubber or Plastic type if we think about new types.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
Can someone link the official statement Gamefreak released stating that Dark and Steel were only added to the game because Psychic was "overpowered"? I can't find it. The only reason Psychic seemed overpowered is because about 25% of Generation I were part Poison, there was one Ghost family, most bugs were very weak, and Mewtwo was by far the strongest Pokemon.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Mujahid
Sir Froakie is impressed.

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoKadame View Post
Why not have a Rubber or Plastic type if we think about new types.
Even though i am not a supporter of new types, i Like that Idea. A rubber type can include both Natural as well as Artificial Pokemons. It can be weak to Fighting and Fire and strong against Flying, Electric and maybe Grass (Poor Grass, it'll be 6th)
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:07 AM
Forever
let it go

I'm not sure how said rubber type would have natural Pokemon :( Like it just seems artificial really. Also rather than being strong against electric it can resist it! I mean that's what Ash used in the ~anime world~.
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:41 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Agreeing with Nica on this. Rubber and Plastic would be far too artificial, and how they interact with Steel types? I'm assuming that they have nothing on steel, so they wouldn't be very effective, as well as Ground, and pretty much almost every element out there. I see both of those types kind of being weak in practice, sadly.
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:52 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
The main problem that I have with Rubber, Plastic, or any other Fabrics, is that, it'd be hard to have an affinity for them against other types. But... perhaps they can be something like this:

Fabric:
  • weaknesses - fire, grass, bug, ground (all obvious, I think)
  • resistances - fighting, electric, dragon (armor against fighting and dragon, not a conductor of electricity)
  • super effective against - water (maybe it absorbs water?)
  • not very effective against - rubber, rock, ground, steel (maybe because of the friction properties between them?)
Rubber:
  • weaknesses - ice, psychic, normal (ice obvious, psychic can distort the rubber, and normal needs something to be strong against. can argue that normal wear and tear wears down rubber)
  • resistances - fire, fighting, dragon (fire obvious, fighting probably obvious and that and dragon need to be a little more controlled)
  • immunity - electric, poison (both obvious, I think, and since they're commonly paired with steel, who cares about poison immunity here?)
  • super effective against - fire, electric (stops them right in their tracks?)
  • not very effective against - normal, ice, rock, steel (normal has an immunity, but needs this resistance?)
  • does not work against - ghost (because how can rubber share the title of most immunities with ghost?)

But then, what pokemon can apply as a rubber type? Maybe... pokemon that can expand their bodies, like Jigglypuff because it's a "Balloon Pokemon"? This is quite a weird concept... eh. I'm not quite sure how this can all work exactly, but, it can be interesting.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:58 AM
HyperXhydra

I'm not sure if i said this before bit if they added light type they would make angel Pokemon, I think it's a good idea.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:31 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperXhydra View Post
I'm not sure if i said this before bit if they added light type they would make angel Pokemon, I think it's a good idea.
Except that would create a huge amount of controversy. Keep in mind that Pokemon is in hot water with conservative(not to mention extremely religious) parents, and I'd rather just keep it to that small minority than expanding it to include more offended people.
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Forever
let it go

How about... a scared type? Like, something afraid of things--timid! Yes, that's the word. Like a Timid type - it'd be weak to ghost/fighting obv, and everything Timid-type could evolve into Light type, aka overcoming the fear, and becoming stronger??
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Aren't Ghosts normally timid, though, Nica? :(
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Except that would create a huge amount of controversy. Keep in mind that Pokemon is in hot water with conservative(not to mention extremely religious) parents, and I'd rather just keep it to that small minority than expanding it to include more offended people.
I think you are right, but if they introduced a Light type WITHOUT creating Angel-like Pokemon there shouldn't be too many problems right?
It seems like a lot of people think there is going to be a Fairy/Magic type, which i think would be pretty cool. Then, a lot of Normal Pokemon could be retyped, like Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Togepi...
Sounds like a pretty nice option to me.

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
How about... a scared type? Like, something afraid of things--timid! Yes, that's the word. Like a Timid type - it'd be weak to ghost/fighting obv, and everything Timid-type could evolve into Light type, aka overcoming the fear, and becoming stronger??
We already have a Timid nature, so that wouldn't really work =P But I don't really like the sound of that either, but I'm against new types in general so there's a bias for you.
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Da_Man32
Togepi

I think new types would be a bit too much because you can only carry six pokemon with you. It would be too difficult to make a balanced team and cover for everything. Granted there are dual typings, coverage moves etc, but still. It would probably work if you could carry more than six pokemon with you, but I don't think that's gonna happen.
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man32 View Post
I think new types would be a bit too much because you can only carry six pokemon with you. It would be too difficult to make a balanced team and cover for everything. Granted there are dual typings, coverage moves etc, but still. It would probably work if you could carry more than six pokemon with you, but I don't think that's gonna happen.
Actually, i once got so bored i did the math on pokemon types. You basically only need 6 types to cover any weaknesses and be super-effective against every type (yup, only 6 types needed!). This means even without dual types, you can have all your bases covered.
So basically adding a new type wouldn't be "too much" in my opinion, but sure, it would change things around and be weird in the beginning. I just don't know if there would be an inbalance...that depends on what types the new type would be strong and weak against.

Ah yeah, you don't think 6 types are enough to cover everything? Try the following:
Fighting, Flying, Ice, Dark, Electric, Ground :D Strong against ANY type

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Aren't Ghosts normally timid, though, Nica? :(
Some of them. Some ghosts can be very playful (like the ghosts in Lavender Town from the anime), or just likes to play nasty tricks on people.

Well, I'm not sure about a Timid type in general since... being Timid is an emotion, no? It'd be tough to see what matchups can work against it, imo. Maybe, as a state of mind, it can co-operate with mind-based types like Psychic, or the manipulating characteristics of Dark pokemon, but, would they be the only ones affected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man32 View Post
It'd be kind of tough to cover every little thing regardless. @_@ From my experience, offensive strategies are usually done by pressuring the opponent, regardless of what types the might have, and just aim to blow every thing out of the park. As for teams like stall or just defensive teams, well, they do work to try and cover types, but still, they don't really cover everything. Pokemon like Blissey is usually enough to take special attacks, and pokemon like Skarmory and Hippowdon can take almost any physical attack.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I wouldn't really be worried about being able to cover a new type or two, since coverage moves in some form would be able to hit them regardless. It's the fact that I'd be worried about types getting thrown off-balance in general, since now it's affecting the previous types as well, causing new weakness and strengths. Even if the new type(s) were uncommon, it can still throw off the entire typing chat.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:29 PM
MellowJello
Unhatched Egg

After reading a couple of pages of everyone's opinions, I feel like I should add some input into this topic. Ok, here we go... *cracks knuckles*

Based on a standpoint of Game Freak and Nintendo, I am pretty confident that a new typing would become a necessary addition to the other 17 types. Why? Well.. Sooner or later, Pokemon will lose its versatility in type combinations and fans will begin to get sick of the repetitive type groupings in the game. People WILL demand something new and different from Game Freak, and you know they will. Like every other entertainment/video game franchise, changing into something new and fresh keeps the company alive and thriving. If we keep the same types for much longer, fans will die out and that is something no company would want to experience, and I'm sure of it. I'm not saying that this problem is happening now, (except for fire/fighting starters. Oh god Game Freak...Please don't let us down with Fennekin ;__; )we still have many interesting type combinations left and still waiting to be revealed. But, like I said before, it WILL happen. Who knows? Starting now could be a safe move for Game Freak. It's a fresh, new generation, so why not add something like a new type as well?

Personally, I am absolutely happy and fine with the types we have now and wish it would never change, but sadly, everyone would agree that at one point in the future that would have to change. Even though this may seem upsetting to many people (including me), it might be a force of action that would have to taken by the company for the sake of Pokemon. When you think about it, one type wouldn't hurt so bad. You and I might even like it, but that we will just have to see. But hey, if this is the decision they make, then it's the decision that is made. To me, Pokemon is Pokemon, and I will always be a loyal fan for the anime/game. ^.^ We will just have to trust Game Freak/Nintendo in creating a new type IF that is the path taken. Hopefully, it would be a fresh, fun type AND one that would be balanced and equally accepted with the others! I think a light type couldn't be THAT bad of an addition. After all, it's pretty logical since all types have an opposite like flying/ground, fire/water, normal/ghost. I just hope that whatever decision Game Freak makes, it would be a great one! Pokemon forever! v

TL;DR: A new type could be necessary in the future because of the possibility of type combinations to run out. Personally, I hope not.

Oh, and just a sidenote, im on the same boat as everyone else with the whole balance situation because I really do believe it would most likely be too much. But I thought since everyone was having the same idea, it would be nice to add in something different that could be considered as well. I hope this would not happen!! >.< I'll stop talking now...hehe

Last edited by MellowJello; March 14th, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here