The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Although that's very true (and well thought out by the way), we are currently not at that point. There are so many unexplored dual types of Pokémon that are left to be seen that it's unnecessary for us to include a new type. I mean if they actually exhaust all the combinations that are left, at that point maybe the Pokémon franchise won't even be a thing. However, if it is, it'll have been so long that people might not even remember what type combinations we've had in the past. At some point it'll probably be necessary but now it's not.
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Honestly, I think people aren't that worried about pokemon types as much as the pokemon themselves. In my opinion, even if all of the type combos will be used up, it won't matter for a person's interests so long as the GF company creates more ideas for concepts of pokemon. And it's a good bet that they will. So if game freak implements a new type, I'd imagine that's because they just want to; besides the whole point of dual types.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie

Last edited by Miss Doronjo; March 14th, 2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:22 PM
MellowJello
Unhatched Egg

Excellent answers, Miss Doronjo and Jake! :D Sounds quite reasonable to me. I do agree that we are not at that stage yet. Perhaps I just overlooked such a simple and obvious mistake. But, still, I guess it can still serve as food for thought in general! XD And its true that people are more worried about pokemon rather than typing. Heck, even I dont care for the typing! As soon as I saw the new pokemon and 3D change they made to Pokemon X & Y, I was sold! :D haha Well, I guess I'm always sold when any new pokemon game comes out!!
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Forever
let it go

Yeah I'm not too sure it'd work too well now :(

Also idk in other things I guess we could have typing X and typing Y, and Pokemon coming under those typings, like that X/Y actually means the typings, and X-Scissor etc and V-create, anything letter-based comes under that typing now. Would change up everything we know right nowww.
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Mujahid
Sir Froakie is impressed.

Nature: Quiet
X-Type and Y-Type ? But what would they represent ?
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Also idk in other things I guess we could have typing X and typing Y, and Pokemon coming under those typings, like that X/Y actually means the typings, and X-Scissor etc and V-create, anything letter-based comes under that typing now. Would change up everything we know right nowww.
Don't you think that's stretching it a little bit too much? I mean, what would those types stand for? How would they relate to the types that already exist? And why would you give an attack a typing just because of its name? I mean, i'm open for almost any ideas, but this is a little bit too much i think...

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Types usually have something to do with an element or being of some sort. If they introduced something like an X-type or Y-type, it would seem extremely out of place in my opinion. Like, how would you give an X or Y type any weaknesses and strengths compared to the other types? It's an odd fit.
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Forever
let it go

They'd represent... chromosomes, I guess. They could be weak to each other! And also weak to fighting/normal because those are human things and if you have bad DNA you might not be normal or you might be bad at fighting. I don't know, I doubt it happening - but still wouldn't that be a shock, that Sylveon is X or Y-typed for example??
Old March 15th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
They'd represent... chromosomes, I guess. They could be weak to each other! And also weak to fighting/normal because those are human things and if you have bad DNA you might not be normal or you might be bad at fighting. I don't know, I doubt it happening - but still wouldn't that be a shock, that Sylveon is X or Y-typed for example??
Well, DNA comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes, really; a person can become bad at fighting, but a person can become very good at fighting. Plus, I don't know how Sylveon represents "Y", when we can say that Yuvental represents "Y", but still, it'd be hard to imagine why. So, I dunno, I'm not saying it's a bad idea, because it's actually a very interesting idea you have here, it's juuust a little too broad in my opinion.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I fail to see that connection honestly. Shivi pretty much nailed it in saying that they're based on elements that we find in the world. Which is why I'm actually against things like a Light type, since between Fire and Electric we already have giving light covered.
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:36 AM
.Aero
Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
X- / Y-type doesn't make much sense to me. Sure they could be types, but as previously stated, what do they represent? How do we determine what it's effective against and resisted by? We already have this lovely complex version of rock-paper-scissors that in general makes sense (and if it doesn't, you can at least strain it to make as much sense as paper beating rock) and introducing an X- / Y-type would only create confusion.

And yeah, there are still a hell of a lot of type combinations to explore. The only reason Gen II got away with added two new types is because they made sense in terms of the natural world and their stigmas weren't exactly met by other types already (like light being met by fire and electric). I guess you could argue that Rock and Steel are quite similar, however I can also argue that Steel may have been added for balancing reasons. Dragons were scary without anything that resisted it and none of the other types really make sense resisting Dragon. This argument could also hold true for Dark as Psychic was rampant in Gen I.

Considering how "balanced" the game is right now mechanics-wise, I don't think it's intelligent to introduce new types because of how much it can throw that off. We don't want another Gen I Psychic-Type running around do we? To put it bluntly, I won't be continuing my interest in Pokemon if they add a new type.
Old March 15th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Yamiidenryuu

Sooo... given that the supposed superhype about Sylveon was completely ignored by the lastest Corocoro despite the last issue explicitly saying there'd be more about it, I'm starting to feel like there's no real secret behind Sylveon's type, and that it'll be one of the existing types. That doesn't eliminate the possibility of a new type entirely if it's true, but it does feel like it rather shrinks it.

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Archeops12354
Smoochum

I never believed that GF would ever make a light type, I mean we already have a type to fill that in - Psychic. I always thought that Psychic was the pokemon version of light. Just take a look at Espeon and Umbreon, they represent light and darkness, but Espeon is psychic and Umbreon is dark. There is even a move in the psychic category called 'Light Screen'. I also don't want the same thing to happen where rock and ground are two completely different types with completely different uses. I don't want Light and Psychic to be completely different types with different uses.

I think the type system is fine just the way it is.

I do however want a sound type, as there is no type similar to it. And there are lots of both sound based moves and pokemon such as Jigglypuff and Exploud.

Gen 6.
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Crystal Noel
RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeops12354 View Post
I never believed that GF would ever make a light type, I mean we already have a type to fill that in - Psychic. I always thought that Psychic was the pokemon version of light. Just take a look at Espeon and Umbreon, they represent light and darkness, but Espeon is psychic and Umbreon is dark. There is even a move in the psychic category called 'Light Screen'. I also don't want the same thing to happen where rock and ground are two completely different types with completely different uses. I don't want Light and Psychic to be completely different types with different uses.

I think the type system is fine just the way it is.

I do however want a sound type, as there is no type similar to it. And there are lots of both sound based moves and pokemon such as Jigglypuff and Exploud.
I don't really see that. Psychic is based off of the mind and is weak to the three most common fears of Bugs, Ghosts, and the Dark. Also some Psychic Pokemon like Hypno are far from being considered good(Especially with the Hypo's Lullaby poem). The sound-type is rummored along side the light-type and many Pokemon will be re-typed to both.
Spoiler:

Old March 30th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Krazzikk

Gamefreak most likely doesn't have the guts to do something like that, and for good reason. This has a great chance to completely screw balance, and is very high risk because of the unpredictability of the consumer's reaction. And either way it's not very necessary, there's plenty of types as it is.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:59 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzikk View Post
Gamefreak most likely doesn't have the guts to do something like that, and for good reason. This has a great chance to completely screw balance, and is very high risk because of the unpredictability of the consumer's reaction. And either way it's not very necessary, there's plenty of types as it is.
But there's also the chance that it'll be perfectly balanced too. GameFreak have been known to take risks lately really, with the whole sequels thing, crossing over from out of Pokemon etc.
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:03 PM
Foxrally
Torterra = Epic Private Island

Nature: Naive
In every even gen (2, 4) new things were added. New types in 2, new evolutions in 4, so hy not new types again?

Pairs - -
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:33 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Noel View Post
Spoiler:

I think this is reasonable enough. If they do add types, I can't see how Light or Sound would become the new Gen 1 Psychic "beast" of Gen 6.

Plus, just look at the Pokemon that would be considered FOR these new types (based on user speculation). Jigglypuff? Wailmer? Hardly OP as it is. I can't see it being game-breaking.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:24 AM
Forever
let it go

I get why Wailmer would be sound but I'd say it'd be a big stretch and in general as it is I don't think there's enough different Sound-types for it to be viable compared to moves/everything else Light would have.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:19 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Looking at that list, and the Pokemon that would have it...I just think it'd be kinda redundant? I mean, I just don't understand the ultimate use of Sound and Light-types, but that's just me, really. Pokemon like the Mareep line having it really is redundant, since it's just saying "oh, this Pokemon is capable of sound attacks/has sound-related properties".

Aside from consistency purposes and making things seem more logical, I really don't see the absolute necessity for these new types, unfortunately.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:16 PM
KJPokemon

Nature: Calm
I don't think it will and I don't want it to happen. It would mess up the balance of the game that we've had as well as get complicated if they changed old pokemon or old moves into a different type. We don't need to make things more complicated. plus developing enough support through tms and features as well as new pokemon for said new type would take away from the incredible potential of the new game which could be focused on perfecting the old pokemon.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:35 PM
ThisOrTheApocalypse
Bananas

I very much hope we do not get new types. I think it is balanced well enough, however, I wouldn't mind seeing some weird mash ups of types to make things interesting.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:48 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
No I don't think any new types would be needed in Poke World. Just look it guys we already have faced at least 17-18 types. Are not those too much?
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Blastin'Tyruntz
TeaM Spheal's favorite fossil

Nature: Gentle
from what i saw here, there were speculations about digital, space, sound, light, heck- i even saw ancient!

i think adding a new type or types is unlikely to happen, but still, i think they should be RE-TYPING immediatley!

with all this new untyped evvelution Sylveon is, retyping is the bets thing that game needs to do. Like, if you were given the chance to change the type of a pokemon of your choosing, what would you do? probably make magnemite a steel type and not electric, make rotom an electric only and not ghost, add the water type to bidoof too and not just bibarel...it's common sense a beaver would be part-water right?

you can disagree if you want, but i think i made a interesting point.

Fear me Humans!
Paired to some nice peoplez.
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by idankingo View Post
from what i saw here, there were speculations about digital, space, sound, light, heck- i even saw ancient!

i think adding a new type or types is unlikely to happen, but still, i think they should be RE-TYPING immediatley!

with all this new untyped evvelution Sylveon is, retyping is the bets thing that game needs to do. Like, if you were given the chance to change the type of a pokemon of your choosing, what would you do? probably make magnemite a steel type and not electric, make rotom an electric only and not ghost, add the water type to bidoof too and not just bibarel...it's common sense a beaver would be part-water right?

you can disagree if you want, but i think i made a interesting point.
No, your point isn't that interesting, in fact its been said quite a few times by other people and then forgotten because it doesn't make sense or is too much trouble to even bother with. Beavers also don't all live in water so them being part water was a tag on. Gamefreak is known for tagging on types with Normal to increase the number of types in a game. Its kinda lazy, but I don't see Bidoof needing Water Typing. I don't see any need to retype other Pokemon. As for new types, While it would be something nice as it effects all veterans more than new players, I don't see any need to add them at this point and time. They'd probably be better being added later on in another two or three generations.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links