The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 29th, 2013 (07:54 AM).
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
I honestly see no problems with the male protagonist, even though he's similar, he's still different to Hilbert and Nate, hair colour's different, hairstyle is very different, to be honest, I like his design a lot, cause he reminds me of the protagonist of Cave Story, how can I not like that?

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old March 31st, 2013 (03:15 AM).
Midnight-Umbreon

Nature: Timid
I actually dont like the female.... dunno just not me ' but tbh im hard to please....

Music Is The Escape
Old April 21st, 2013 (10:07 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarAbusoru View Post
I honestly see no problems with the male protagonist, even though he's similar, he's still different to Hilbert and Nate, hair colour's different, hairstyle is very different, to be honest, I like his design a lot, cause he reminds me of the protagonist of Cave Story, how can I not like that?
The hair color looks almost identical to that of Hilbert's and Nate's, which is disappointing because it never seems like the male protagonist can ever get a different hair color than the basic brown or black.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the protagonist of Cave Story resembles Red far more than the new guy.
Old April 21st, 2013 (11:10 AM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Honestly it feel like we've had clones the past three generations. I'd rather see something totally different than what we have currently. Heck, I'd love something out of left field at this point than seeing the same generic protagonist we keep getting. Of course that just goes for the male, I actually like the female, probably enough to actually play as her instead.
Old April 21st, 2013 (12:37 PM). Edited April 21st, 2013 by LaVida.
LaVida

Although I think the female protagonist looks really cute, I would have liked her to have blond hair. I mean, come on, we've had so many brown haired (female) protagonists, why can't we have one with blond hair for a change?

Other than that, I really dig the female protagonist. The male one looks plain.
Old April 21st, 2013 (12:47 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVida View Post
Although I think the female protagonist looks really cute, I would have liked her to have blond hair. I mean, come on, we've had so many brown haired (female) protagonists, why can't we have one with blond hair for a change?

Other than that, I really dig the female protagonist. The male one looks plain.
The female protagonist's hair looks like it's dirty blonde, so does that technically count? Also, Kris and Dawn say hi.
Old April 21st, 2013 (12:53 PM).
LaVida

Yeah, you're right Pinkie-Dawn. Her hair does look like it's dirty blond but it's still very brown-ish, if you know what I mean. I was thinking about Cynthia-like-hair xD
That would be nice for a change.
Old April 21st, 2013 (01:00 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVida View Post
Yeah, you're right Pinkie-Dawn. Her hair does look like it's dirty blond but it's still very brown-ish, if you know what I mean. I was thinking about Cynthia-like-hair xD
That would be nice for a change.
I think it's because the majority of people in Japan have black/brown hair, while other hair types are used for minor characters.
Old April 21st, 2013 (01:02 PM).
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

I'm tired of the satchels. Can we just get normal backpacks? In fact only two main characters have even had normal backpacks; Red and Lucas. The rest all had silly satchels. Every female character has had satchels. Except for May who had a fanny pack...
Old April 21st, 2013 (01:29 PM).
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
I'm tired of the satchels. Can we just get normal backpacks? In fact only two main characters have even had normal backpacks; Red and Lucas. The rest all had silly satchels. Every female character has had satchels. Except for May who had a fanny pack...
Ethan and Brendan had backpacks, they were those one-strapped ones. I use one as well.
Though I do agree with you, backpacks are a classic, and should return.
Old April 21st, 2013 (01:33 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

They aren't bringing back backpacks, because then it'll only bring back limited space on our bags. That is why satchels have become a staple to the main protagonists since Gen IV, because they're logically designed to hold unlimited items unlike a normal backpack.
Old April 21st, 2013 (04:57 PM).
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
I think that's kind of a dumb reason to not switch it up again though. I can understand the reasoning of not giving us something like a grocery bag to travel with but, realistically, we shouldn't be able to carry as much as are able to anyways; It's not like we've even been able to change our clothes(possibility of 6th gen).

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I hate satchels, I just hope we aren't permanently stuck with them. If we do end up getting customization in Gen VI though, I wouldn't mind a choice of what we use to carry our items around. That would also further let us have our own look. I'd choose a drawstring backpack.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old April 21st, 2013 (07:21 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I don't think customization would go so far as to let us wear whatever we want as far as bags are concerned. I don't know if GF be that lenient(though hopefully they are??).

Though with that being stated, I feel that I'm of the minority that really doesn't care about what kind of bags that we use for this generation. Maybe it's just never really impacted me that much what kind of bags we use? Could be just me, though.
Old April 21st, 2013 (07:34 PM).
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
They aren't bringing back backpacks, because then it'll only bring back limited space on our bags. That is why satchels have become a staple to the main protagonists since Gen IV, because they're logically designed to hold unlimited items unlike a normal backpack.
No...its a fashion thing. Most guys nowadays carry things in messenger bags which is why they are so apparent in the games now. Girls carry purses so their bags are made to look like those most of the time. When backpack become a fashion accessory again they'll add them back in.
Old April 22nd, 2013 (03:46 AM).
gotron228
^_^

Send a message via AIM to gotron228 Send a message via Skype™ to gotron228
I don't like the look of the female. She doesn't look as though she's the type to want to go on a grand scale adventure like the other female protagonists.

It's safe to say I'm choosing the guy.

Old April 22nd, 2013 (01:26 PM).
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
I don't think customization would go so far as to let us wear whatever we want as far as bags are concerned. I don't know if GF be that lenient(though hopefully they are??).

Though with that being stated, I feel that I'm of the minority that really doesn't care about what kind of bags that we use for this generation. Maybe it's just never really impacted me that much what kind of bags we use? Could be just me, though.
It's not really that it matters to me what kind of bag it is but, after all this time with us just being these generic protagonists, if they do add in customization, it would be nice if they were a bit lenient. I wish we could get things like skin color, etc., although it's unlikely.

Old April 22nd, 2013 (01:45 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Payne View Post
It's not really that it matters to me what kind of bag it is but, after all this time with us just being these generic protagonists, if they do add in customization, it would be nice if they were a bit lenient. I wish we could get things like skin color, etc., although it's unlikely.
The fact that they did so in a mediocre game like Pokemon Battle Revolution and yet haven't do so yet in a main series Pokemon game is fairly upsetting, though. .___. You would've think that by this time that they would've considered bringing that feature back somehow and in some form...
Old April 22nd, 2013 (03:09 PM).
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
As like most people said here, the male protagonist looks lame, I'm definitely going for the female.
I think she looks awesome maybe she should hit the Anime...
Old April 22nd, 2013 (03:28 PM).
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
The fact that they did so in a mediocre game like Pokemon Battle Revolution and yet haven't do so yet in a main series Pokemon game is fairly upsetting, though. .___. You would've think that by this time that they would've considered bringing that feature back somehow and in some form...
Well Game Freak doesn't do the spin offs, so it isn't that surprising. It's something I'm definitely wanting though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonygooseD View Post
As like most people said here, the male protagonist looks lame, I'm definitely going for the female.
I think she looks awesome maybe she should hit the Anime...
Off topic, but I love your Spinda avatar.

Old April 22nd, 2013 (06:18 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Payne View Post
That's the kind of customization I'm fully against because of the possibility that it would mean the Gen VI protagonists have no official default designs, which means there won't be a lot of fanart of them compared to the previous protagonists nor would they be used to possibly replace Red in the position of the Pokemon Trainer in the next SSB game. Outfits are the only customizations I can see happening for our new trainers.
Old April 22nd, 2013 (06:50 PM).
zdude18
Lone Wolf

Nature: Relaxed
has anyone else noticed that all the player characters have to wear hats. i dont like hats. except for dawn's and may's. but otherwise i dont see why everyone has to wear a hat. maybe in the pokemon world their sun is just so intense that they always have to wear hats so they dont get sunburn on their heads. anyways ill probably choose the female because with the exceptions of gen 1 and 2, they always look better.
White 2: 3397 3474 0556
Old April 22nd, 2013 (06:52 PM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Psst! Before things go too far, we actually have another thread aptly titled, Player Customization, to discuss customizating the protagonists. Let's leave this thread to discuss their current appearance from what we've seen of them and any changes you'd like to see made for when their official artwork is released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdude18 View Post
has anyone else noticed that all the player characters have to wear hats. i dont like hats. except for dawn's and may's. but otherwise i dont see why everyone has to wear a hat. maybe in the pokemon world their sun is just so intense that they always have to wear hats so they dont get sunburn on their heads. anyways ill probably choose the female because with the exceptions of gen 1 and 2, they always look better.
I suppose the hat has become sort of a staple or tradition for every protagonist to have on them.
Old April 22nd, 2013 (06:52 PM).
TheLaserLuke
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Mild
I hate how the male protagonists are slowly becoming more and more like girls. Their hair is getting longer and is always Black or brown. I wish that Hugh's character was the main protagonists in the Black and White 2.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (06:07 PM).
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
That's the kind of customization I'm fully against because of the possibility that it would mean the Gen VI protagonists have no official default designs, which means there won't be a lot of fanart of them compared to the previous protagonists nor would they be used to possibly replace Red in the position of the Pokemon Trainer in the next SSB game. Outfits are the only customizations I can see happening for our new trainers.
I can see where you're getting at but they can still use default trainers to represent the region, although I guess allowing us to do too much would kind of bury them in the long run.

The issue I have is that this isn't Mario or Zelda where obviously they are the only ones that can really fullfil their roles/fit perfectly with it and have played a part in all of their games. Pokemon games have constantly changed trainers each generation and, even though they don't talk and all that, they are more supposed to represent us, the players, unlike a lot of other protagonists in other series.

I know complete customization could be a bit of a stretch because it'd have a shot at burying the default protagonists, but I can never really fully appreciate it as being me if, well, I can't get it to look like me.

Old May 13th, 2013 (02:50 AM).
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
UPDATE THIS ALREADY! There have been CoroCoro leaks, thread is here

Sponsored Links