The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:38 AM
revlis
The Sentinel
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
As we move through the Pokemon franchise, it's subtle meanings and hidden ideologies are slowly becoming more aware to the general populous.

Looking back, we had thievery with Team Rocket, the expansion of the Ocean vs. expansion of the Land with Teams Magma and Plasma, Recreation of the world with Team Galactic, and only just recently, Pokemon Freedom with Team Plasma.

So what is your take on the possible underlying theme(s) in Pokemon X/Y?

To start off, I have an idea where it is Nature vs. Genetic Engineering. In certain mythologies, the Stag is considered to be the King of Nature; the blue legendary appearing as the embodies the ideology of Nature, while the Red Falcon(?) could represent Genetic Engineering?

Perhaps the next evil team could be genetically enhancing or engineering Pokemon?

Discuss.

EDIT: "For many Wiccans, the antlers of the stag are associated directly with the fertility of the God. The Horned God, in his many incarnations, often appears wearing a headdress of antlers..."
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:44 AM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

Nature: Lonely
Aren't genetic theme already taken by generation I? But I guess it have something to do with DNA or something similar.

Pokemon is a Japanese RPG Made By a Japanese Developer With Japanese Audience in Mind I tell You
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Ω & α... Join the Bandwagon!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
I think you could be on the right path. It all seems to fit together nicely!
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengar View Post
Aren't genetic theme already taken by generation I? But I guess it have something to do with DNA or something similar.
I thought this.
I would love it if they went down a scientific route with the game; that would really hold my interests.
However, looking at the Pokemon, I think not.
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Vintage Arachnid
im always watchin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Vintage Arachnid
I wish I could think of stuff like this! :P

Genetic Engineering vs Nature... I like it, it's kinda like Mewtwo vs Mew in a way. Mewtwo was made/engineered in a laboratory while Mew was the natural form. Perhaps they want "stronger" Pokemon and the only way to succeed in getting them is to enhance their own Pokemon with certain traits and abilities.

THE EXTREMELY JEALOUS PAIR OF CAREFULWETPAINT
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:52 AM
revlis
The Sentinel
Community Supporter

Looking at the two, the Blue Stag looks quite, I guess natural, while the Red Bird looks almost as if it's been mutated or an early prototype of a Test-Tube Pokemon....

EDIT: Could the Red 'Y' Bird be a coincidence with the new Red Genosect that is set to appear in the next move?
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:53 AM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
I thought this.
I would love it if they went down a scientific route with the game; that would really hold my interests.
However, looking at the Pokemon, I think not.
Yes, we just only have little information about Pokemon X&Y. It could be means something other than genetics. I'll guess we have to wait more for further Information.
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:54 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
The falcon is a sign of War in Egyptian mythology while in others the Stag is a sign of Peace. So maybe War versus Peace? Perhaps it'll talk about how War isn't always full of negatives while Peace isn't always full of good stuff like people tend to think of.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:03 AM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
The falcon is a sign of War in Egyptian mythology while in others the Stag is a sign of Peace. So maybe War versus Peace? Perhaps it'll talk about how War isn't always full of negatives while Peace isn't always full of good stuff like people tend to think of.
That's interesting though bit far fetched.
But I'll be damned of that really mean war&peace, because I think that one are bit too mature for a Pokemon game right?
Well, not a bad thing since Pokemon could have take more benefit by becoming more mature.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:05 AM
revlis
The Sentinel
Community Supporter

Quote:
A good idea, didn't think of this.

A friend just pointed out, could 'Y' be the 'Vulture of Death' and X the 'Stag of Life'? Interesting....
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Community Supporter

That's also a good one. Than the third would be rebirth/reincarnation (it'll be easy to give it forms if so, reincarnating into a different form). I wanted a life and death theme since gen V but we ended up with boring old Yin Yang instead which isn't all that special considering all pokemon games talk about balance. Truth versus ideals luckily added theme made the last gens mascots a bit better though in what they stand for.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:38 AM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

Quote:
That's also a good one. Than the third would be rebirth/reincarnation (it'll be easy to give it forms if so, reincarnating into a different form). I wanted a life and death theme since gen V but we ended up with boring old Yin Yang instead which isn't all that special considering all pokemon games talk about balance. Truth versus ideals luckily added theme made the last gens mascots a bit better though in what they stand for.
Well, reincarnation is something that represent both life and death. One must be dead to resurrected back to life. This is makes thing even more interesting than genetics I guess.

Yin and Yang is not boring, Is just for the first time Game Freak went serious with themes and story and mess up again in BW2.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Community Supporter

I imagine the third one being a serpent representing rival as the serpent is a sign of rejuvination plus it can look like a Z.
If so than all adds up to this theme...I hope we're right
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:54 AM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

One who represent reincarnation usually are Phoenix. But since we already have Ho-Oh and Moltres, so.....I guess they better have to find another creature that represent Life-Death cycle.

Pokemon is a Japanese RPG Made By a Japanese Developer With Japanese Audience in Mind I tell You
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:58 AM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
DNA splicing and trying to create a new type of Pokemon? Or maybe even

(this idea came from Pinkie-Dawn) The antagagonist are trying to merge Pokemon cells with themselves so they won't have to rely on Pokemon to do their bidding anymore and just count on themselves?
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Community Supporter

That's a strange theme.
The Ouroboros is a serpent shaped like an O that symbolizes revival. By being O it'll throw people off thinking the third be Z. Well O can also symbolize the point of origin, or 0,0 in the X,Y axis that which merges both. Than it'll have a Z forme!
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:54 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
I'm sorta thinking maybe we'll be getting sort of a Nature vs Science (vs Spirituality for the third game) but that theory depends on whether or not they make sequels again or not.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:04 AM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
I'm sorta thinking maybe we'll be getting sort of a Nature vs Science (vs Spirituality for the third game) but that theory depends on whether or not they make sequels again or not.
Nature and Science are complementary, not opposite of the each. Well, indeed science lead us to overcome the facet of nature, but they could coexist. Also this kinda-of-like nature/science already taken by White Forest and Black City of BW.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:09 AM
NG55
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
That's a strange theme.
The Ouroboros is a serpent shaped like an O that symbolizes revival. By being O it'll throw people off thinking the third be Z. Well O can also symbolize the point of origin, or 0,0 in the X,Y axis that which merges both. Than it'll have a Z forme!
You are a genius my friend. I'm going to hard your comment with my twitter people
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Nakuzami
That Person's Name Is . . .
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Nature vs. Science
War vs. Peace
Life vs. Death

I think all three of these themes sound rather interesting. Plus, it would be more fun for pokemon to be more mature. God knows the anime and such media could use it. @_@

Personally, though, out of the three I think I would like to have the Life vs. Death theme. (Since I'm at school, I'm unable to see the legendaries so I can't base anything off of that. ;w;) It's more serious and I think it could lead to a deep story. I love deep stories. :>
JEBUS CRIPES, stop getting me excited while I'm still in school for another four hours. ;o;
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:22 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
After looking at it a bit more and thinking more it I think I have changed to thinking we might be seeing Life vs Death which does surprise me but pokemon themes have certainly become more deep as the series has progressed I'm thinking this will mean we have people who want immortality turning up also (as someone on another thread stated)
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:27 AM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

The theme can be deep, but it does not with story. BW are decent at best. Maybe it because truth vs ideal is something hard to elaborate. Life and Death are much easier, I hope the don't mess this one up.

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Esper

Well we seem to have genetics as a theme this time around and genetics is about reproducing, passing on traits - genes - from one generation to another so the theme could be something revolving around that. That has a kind of an "Old vs. New" feel to it, like perhaps a confrontation between traditions and people who want to keep them and pass them on and people who want to branch out into new areas.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
We sort of had a traditional/nature vs expansion/technology theme in BW.

I was thinking from the looks of the legendaries, perhaps strength vs wisdom. If the double-helix in the Japanese logos is any indication, along with the whole "X and Y chromosome" thing, another possibility could be masculine vs feminine which, if done correctly, could hold all sorts of political intrigue, if Game Freak wants to take the series that far.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:59 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
If the X and Y are from the chromosomes, then I do think we will be having a genetics theme again. As people have said before me, it'll probably be genetically modified Pokémon vs natural Pokémon. If it is, I'm all for it because it sound like an interesting and exciting theme.

Sponsored Links