The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Do you think the 3DS will open new worlds?

Pokemon X and Y is being released on the most advanced handheld console available to the Pokemon games to date. With this, comes the improved hardware on the handheld.

The 3DS has two rather interesting selling points, that the new games could utilize in-game, StreetPass and SpotPass. If you aren't aware of what they are, here are the descriptions:

StreetPass
"StreetPass is a feature present in every Nintendo 3DS system that allows users to exchange data from games & applications that the two own. It is on regardless of whether the 3DS is in sleep mode or not (though the system itself must be on), and automatically acts when another 3DS user walks within the console's range."

SpotPass
"With SpotPass, your Nintendo 3DS system can detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain various types of data on the spot. Free software, notifications and 3D content are just some of the things that might surprise you as you discover something new every day!"

There are other technologies available on the 3DS, including Augmented Reality, Miiverse and so on.

With all these different 3rd party applications and technologies, what would you like to see used in the new Pokemon games? What do you expect to see and what would you love to see? Will this help with access to Pokemon events?
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Given that Miiverse isn't on the 3DS just yet (though here's hopes that it will be available for the developers right now) imagine what that would do?

"Congratulations! You're now the Champion! Do you want to post an inspirational message to other trainers?"
"You completed your Pokédex! Would you like to post a message to your adoring fans on Miiverse?"

I'd love to see what GameFreak's got in store with StreetPass. Heck, I'd been refraining from playing Black 2 and White 2 just because I couldn't have StreetPass, so this would be a double bonus from those games! I'd like something similar to record mixing, along the lines of secret bases and using StreetPass to sync them across.

I don't think AR would really do much for the game. If anything, they could at most use the camera in the way of QR codes to add Pokédex entries for certain Pokémon.

The Pokémon Company has shown us that they can easily create apps that interface with the games. Would I kill to have Pokémon stored on my 3DS just like from Pokémon Stadium/Pokémon Box? Yes. My god yes.

SpotPass makes Mystery Gift redundant. That is all.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Well, with the Wii U, they were all about connecting with people and interacting, so having those examples of what you said, would be very cool. Having ways to share your achievements might be a nice idea.

I think the Pokemon games have always been missing that extra interactivity element, that I feel the 3DS could actually solve, but will they program it?.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:46 AM
NatureKeeper
No longer active here.

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NatureKeeper Send a message via Skype™ to NatureKeeper
StreetPass would be so useful should they choose to keep the C-Gear.

For SpotPass, by all means download Mystery Gift cards without needing to go through with that tedious process.

Also, what Soto said. Miiverse integration could be the best thing that happens to Pokemon.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

It is exciting in which routes they can do down. They could have some form of hunting mini game, where you 'catch' a different number of Pokemon trainers, depending on who you pass with StreetPass or something.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Lockmaster24
Wise words of FizzyStardust

I do think Streetpass will give us a feature like the PokeWalker did in HGSS, where you could battle other peoples teams that you street pass with, it really doesn't seem beyond Nintendo considering we can easily get Ghost times in Mario Kart 7 with this feature.

Dialga and Palkia's Loud Adventures
Dialga and Palkia's Loud Adventures 2
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:06 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Just merge if needed.

Many 3DS game utilise the StreetPass feature of the 3DS for additions to gameplay. With X and Y being on 3DS do you think they will also use StreetPass in some way? How would you like to see it used?

Discuss!
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
I'm seeing it be used, like the Mii Plaza thing.
You walk around playing it, and they'll be some area (like a union room) where people will stock up as you meet more people, and you can battle them, but because it's just caused by passing people, the Computer uses an AI level to fight you using the street Passee's Team.
The more times you meet the same person, the higher the difficulty?
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
It could be used as an interesting way to get random berries or other items.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Yep, they'll definitely have StreetPass for sure. Otherwise if they don't, it would kind of ruin the chances of continue playing the game after completing the game.

I think the StreetPass functions that would occur in the game would indeed be about either trading the Pokémon or even getting items that you'd like to give away or something. But for trading Pokémon, the person would have to have a Pokémon giving away as well as the person StreetPassing you.

But it'll be amazing, and it surely would make me coming back for more. xD

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Honeyman

Do you think gen VI will integrate Streetpass/Spotpass in any way? I'm thinking of something similar to Kid Icarus Uprising, where instead of a weapon, you can set a Pokemon up for Streetpass and it can transfer to other games. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Supporter of crappy banners
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Vehks

They probably will, though I'll be honest I have never actually used spot pass/street pass... like ever.

I'm sure stuff like that is big in Japan, given all the people around and the fact that handhelds are huge there. So i'm sure gen 6 will have a version of it as well.
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
It's very likely that they will have both SpotPass and StreetPass for these games, it'll probably give you the option to enable or disable it in settings.

I'm thinking the accessories (the stuff to customize your character if it's implemented) would be transferred through StreetPass.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Merged into the existing technology thread.
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:28 AM
shubshub
Master of The Y

Nature: Quiet
Maybe Have the GTS Intergrated into SpotPass where your Pokemon can get traded automaticly without Physically having to connect to the gts
[Pokemon White 2]: 3182 4860 8214 [OT: Chris ID: 62513]
[Nintendo 3DS]: 4441 8375 5933 [Pokemon Y]

My Favorite Pokémon!
Garchomp