Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Closed Thread

Old February 23rd, 2013 (05:10 AM).
let it go
Crystal Tier

Well 10x was just random :x But yeah certainly the whole I'm-better-than-you type rival would definitely be along those lines if there was to be a really strong opposing-the-starter Pokemon.
Old February 23rd, 2013 (05:34 AM).
The Legendary Master of Light!
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
Hm... wouldn't it be interesting to actually have a rival that actually acts friendly throughout the adventure and then at the end... it turns out that he is the leader of the evil team? That's something similar to Evice from Pokémon Colosseum.

But I feel it would bring that big surprise to everyone at the end, where you have to battle him to save the new region from destruction.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm gradually learning to use Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old February 23rd, 2013 (05:58 AM).
ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by PokémonShinySilver:
Hm... wouldn't it be interesting to actually have a rival that actually acts friendly throughout the adventure and then at the end... it turns out that he is the leader of the evil team? That's something similar to Evice from Pokémon Colosseum.

But I feel it would bring that big surprise to everyone at the end, where you have to battle him to save the new region from destruction.
Njaa, that seems like a good idéa but we have our rival in black 2/white 2 thats friendly but luckly who isn't the leader, but i think that it would be too predictable if the storyline contains your rival being in a rush 24/7.
Black 2: 4599 8904 2318

Y/AlphaSapphire: 1993 8202 9620
Old February 23rd, 2013 (06:31 AM).
LIGHTNINGSTRIKE ϟ
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
Why can't we have a Rival that was similar in nature to Gary/Blue above everyone else? Like honestly, I don't know about you guys, but I really liked the entire competition between your character and Blue, and how he was always one step ahead somehow. I kind of missed those times, it really made grinding your Pokemon worth it to kick his ass. XD

To guide those who are
lost
, and fight alongside those who are
found
, that is my duty. «
Old February 23rd, 2013 (06:38 AM).
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
It should be way more awarding to fight and beat your rival, imo. Nowadays they are just, childhood friends from home. I'd like your rival to be like, a moral enemy this time! A rival that would side with evil or more anti-heroism~! That'd be cool!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 23rd, 2013 (07:03 AM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
I'll like it if the rival were like Wally, looks fragile but later gets strong. If they do 2 rivals like in BW I'm hoping for that Dynamic, with the boy being the weak bodied one like Wally, and the girl being strong and a jerk like Blue.
Old February 23rd, 2013 (07:11 AM).
Sir Froakie is impressed.

Quote originally posted by PokémonShinySilver:

A 10/17 year old being the head of an Evil organisation ? That doesn't sound right. However, i would LOVE if they somehow do another Silver. I am tired of "childhood friend" rivals.
Old February 23rd, 2013 (07:14 AM).
LIGHTNINGSTRIKE ϟ
Platinum Tier

It would be more of an interesting twist if your rival did have something to do with the evil organization, though! :x

To guide those who are
lost
found
, that is my duty. «
Old February 23rd, 2013 (07:31 AM).

Yes, That's why i want them to do another Silver with some twists.
Old February 23rd, 2013 (07:43 AM).
I like kitties
Silver Tier

Nature: Lax
Wasn't N that though? A prominent figure that could be considered your league rival, until you find out he's really with TP. I don't think we need that again. Something I would really like is if your rival is really the recent league champion. He could be in the need for a fresh start to enlighten himself, and on his journey to his home town, perhaps your's even, he sees you playing with your new starter. This reminds him of his self a couple of years ago, and decides to play the role of your rival. An older, wiser mentor who doesn't hold back, and someone you eventually surpass. The twist would be while you do beat him many times, he always held back, until your true champion battle.

#328 Trapinch
Supporter Collab January 2015
Doctor Who Fan Club

Old February 23rd, 2013 (08:58 AM).
just a guy
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
What if our rival was a significant member of the evil team and we knew it from the moment we met him? He could be the child of the team's leader kind of like Silver, but this time he fights believing in his parent(s)' goals. However, he's been so cut off from the world and kept under his parents' wings, that he doesn't realize that there's so much more out there that he doesn't know about the world, the people, and Pokémon. So when he meets us, he becomes intrigued by how persistent we are to stop him and his family. Which will all lead up to the point of him realizing that what his family and their evil organization are up to is wrong.

I, myself, have grown kind of weary of the childhood friend rival. I wouldn't mind it so much if we had a second rival that spiced things up a bit. Actually, I hope we have more than one rival in general.
Old February 23rd, 2013 (09:13 AM).

I don't think i consider N as a rival. He's just a prominent character.
Old February 23rd, 2013 (10:11 AM).
Silver Tier

The only regions that didn't have childhood rivals were Johto and Hoenn (ironic as the main characters from those games came from Johto, remember May/Brandon didn't grow up in Hoenn). So it'll be kind of nice to see that again, especially with 3 (well 4 due to BW having 2) childhood friends as rivals in a row (not counting HgSs).

If we only get one rival whose sex isn't determined by your players than I hope it's a girl, I'm tired of all the male rivals (May and Bianca have been the only ones with the two going on to help the proffesor in research...)
Old February 23rd, 2013 (12:51 PM).
ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!

Nature: Jolly
What if our rival was girl again? I really enjoyed it during R/S/E
Black 2: 4599 8904 2318

Y/AlphaSapphire: 1993 8202 9620
Old February 23rd, 2013 (01:58 PM).
LIGHTNINGSTRIKE ϟ
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Aerilyn:
What if our rival was a significant member of the evil team and we knew it from the moment we met him? He could be the child of the team's leader kind of like Silver, but this time he fights believing in his parent(s)' goals. However, he's been so cut off from the world and kept under his parents' wings, that he doesn't realize that there's so much more out there that he doesn't know about the world, the people, and Pokémon. So when he meets us, he becomes intrigued by how persistent we are to stop him and his family. Which will all lead up to the point of him realizing that what his family and their evil organization are up to is wrong.
Adding onto this, a good twist would be you and the good rival vs the bad rival and the evil team! I just thought of this now, and thought it would be a pretty cool addition, also. :3 It was always fun having more than one rival, but if we're having another "good/childhood friend" rival, at least make it so there's a polar opposite rival to them, someone that we'd have to defeat and have serious competition with. And then we'd have friendly competition with the childhood friend rival, for those who are into that. I think a nice balance with both would be suitable, right?

To guide those who are
lost
found
, that is my duty. «
Old February 23rd, 2013 (02:22 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by WishCookie:
What if our rival was girl again? I really enjoyed it during R/S/E ^_^
You're rival was the opposite if the gender you played as, so if you played female, the rival was male.

I would like it if the rival was the opposite of your gender though.
Old February 23rd, 2013 (03:30 PM).
Gaiden

Or has many people have thought, maybe with the possible Genetics theme here, the rival can be a male or female depending on what game you play!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old February 23rd, 2013 (04:09 PM). Edited February 23rd, 2013 by RandomDSdevel.
The EXP-Grinding Trainer

Quote originally posted by Twilight Sky:
It took me quite a while to grasp all this(forgive me, as I'm quite tired lmao from waking up just now), but yeah, I love the royalty idea! It's a nice twist for something in the E4, at least it shakes up the monotony of what we've had the past five generations or so. That being said though, keep in mind that royalty consists of a lot of branches, much more so than your standard King/Queen/Prince/Princess and whatnot, yeah? We might have to fight some new people(why does Court Jester come to mind?), since royalty is divided into several ranks, yeah? :3

...I hope that didn't sound confusing. @_@
Ah, The Court Jester…What? It's a hilarious movie!

Quote originally posted by Twilight Sky:
Ok, I have to get it out of my system.

Why can't Sylveon pull a Tails(from Sonic), and just use it's ears to basically flap itself in the air??

This is probably the stupidest thing ever, but it has literally been on my mind since this Pokemon was released and speculation has been around concerning it's type. @_@;; That would be the only way I can picture it flying in any way whatsoever.
Actually, that's a Cream: she flaps her giant rabbit ears to fly in Season 2 of Sonic X, I think. Tails actually has tails.

NOTE: Please send me a private message if you have an extra copy of the special Mew that GameFreak distributed to owners of Generation III games on September 30th, 2006, and can think of a good place where we can meet for a trade.
Old February 23rd, 2013 (04:36 PM).
LIGHTNINGSTRIKE ϟ
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by RandomDSdevel:
Actually, that's a Cream: she flaps her giant rabbit ears to fly in Season 2 of Sonic X, I think. Tails actually has tails.
Yeah, I know Tails uses his..tails to fly, I guess it was just for comparison purposes, I suppose. XD

But looking at Sylveon more and more, maybe it doesn't have to do any of those things to fly, and it could like, I dunno, pull a Shaymin and just run into the sky, if you know what I mean by that. XD;

To guide those who are
lost
found
, that is my duty. «
Old February 23rd, 2013 (04:45 PM).
It's all in the mind you know!

I'm almost certain that Sylveon is either a Normal type or Flying type (the other types wouldn't make much sense). The only thing that steers me away from Normal is that they seem to be making a big deal out of its type by not revealing it (listing it as ???) and if it were a Normal type I honestly think they would've just told us. I'm thinking pure Flying since it will only be the second pure Flying type to be introduced (and the first non-legendary one). God forbid them introducing a new type for it.

I wonder if Sylveon differs depending on its gender? The one we've seen is very feminine looking.
There's nobody there
Old February 23rd, 2013 (06:09 PM).
Silver Tier

Maybe it's the first duel type eeveelution? I'm hoping it's pure flying as it'll make it the second (third if one counts Sky Arceus) pure flying which seems like a big deal. Hopefully we don't have two wait over a month to find out like with the Mascots...irc Reshiram ane Zekrom's type already leaked around this time. Maybe a Pokésmash member liked Dark, or Flying types...go on put it in your blog...
Hope they disclose them soon, cause if not then the new type people will be salivating as it'll seem like too much to withhold a already existing type/ type combo (even a new combo) for longer than 2-3 months.
Old February 23rd, 2013 (07:13 PM).
i will always love you sid,
CS

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to LORD ANTE
I'm trying to image Sylveon flapping its ribbons around to fly and nothing is non-outlandish enough for me to make believable mentally, aha. I imagine it might be something similar to how Sesshomaru from Inuyasha flies, in the fact Sylveon will kind of glide on the tails lowest on its body as they extend below/perhaps wrap around its feet or something like that. Not that that's any less outlandish...
Old February 23rd, 2013 (07:25 PM).
Gaiden

Quote originally posted by Antemortem:
I'm trying to image Sylveon flapping its ribbons around to fly and nothing is non-outlandish enough for me to make believable mentally, aha. I imagine it might be something similar to how Sesshomaru from Inuyasha flies, in the fact Sylveon will kind of glide on the tails lowest on its body as they extend below/perhaps wrap around its feet or something like that. Not that that's any less outlandish...
Well some have said that those ribbons are made out of flesh.. @__@ So it can be possible! Someone also said it can fly like Tails from Sonic the Hedgehog!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old February 23rd, 2013 (07:29 PM).
let it go
Crystal Tier

Honestly that's probably how they'll do it, because I can't see how else they'll make it fly around, and I'm pretty sure it's a flying type now, too.
Old February 23rd, 2013 (07:48 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
*imagines Sylveon's ribbons making it like a helicopter*

Sponsored Links