The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 3rd, 2013 (07:12 AM).
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
I'm hoping the Legends don't play a huge role in the new games. I want them to be like Lugia and Ho-oh in Gen 2. I really don't want another Kyogre/Groudon relationship where they fight against each other, Dialga/Palkia where they are targeted to create a new world, or Reshiram/Zekrom where each represented two sides to a coin where only one can be the true winner.

I'd want a less in your face role, like, there's a disturbence that awakens them and they start looking around. Sure you'd have to fight them, either more than once which would be nice, forced reoccuring boss fight up to climax where they try to stop what evil stirred them only to fail on their own, then you have the choice of trying to catch it yourself or ignore it. Like catching it is its own subquest (like Rayquaza in R/S)
Old March 3rd, 2013 (07:28 AM).
Forever
let it go

When you see the legendaries and consider the title art then I think there's a pretty high chance they will have some kind of major role in the games :x
Old March 3rd, 2013 (07:39 AM).
Khrysta

Lugia and Ho-oh didn't play any major part in the games. They had more of a role in the remakes with the Kimono girls addition, but it still wasn't a major role. Suicune played a better role than Ho-oh and Lugia.
Old March 3rd, 2013 (07:43 AM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Nature: Quirky
The idea of giving the main legendary a less major role is asking for a barebones plot from the first two generations.
Old March 3rd, 2013 (08:10 AM).
Mujahid
Sir Froakie is impressed.

Nature: Quiet
I'm with Xanny on the whole legendary issue. In my opinion, legendaries should influence the plot.The last three gens had the whole plot ON them. I believe the Second Gen did this beautifully.
Old March 3rd, 2013 (10:04 AM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
It would be kind of interesting if the legends were outside of the villain's goal. They could have their own plot where they start to awaken due to the villains actions much like the muskeeters in Gen 5. They test us sort of like Suicune, only we battle it multiple times along the way, and it flees after only to show up somewhere else. The last battle can be before we face the villain too, only we can decide to skip their capture like with Rayquaza in E and the muskeeters.
Old March 3rd, 2013 (11:02 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
The idea of giving the main legendary a less major role is asking for a barebones plot from the first two generations.
As it stands, I actually feel like the first two gens have the most original storytelling. Gen III started something new in involving the legendary mascots with the team's larger plot, which was fine, until every generation afterward started following the same step. I wouldn't mind if they did something similar to HG/SS where the mascots had some sort of role, but nothing extremely major.

In a world of Pokémon games, there are countless of other plot ideas that GameFreak could pull out from under the rug without having to focus too much on the mascots themselves and tying it in to whatever the evil team is doing.
Old March 3rd, 2013 (11:32 AM).
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I dunno, personally I feel if they're going for genetics, give us the main legendaries being creations of the evil team. I know it sounds crazy, but unlike Mewtwo and Genesect, these are completely original Lab Pokemon, no previous Pokemon DNA to make them.
Old March 3rd, 2013 (11:55 AM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I wouldn't mind it if we had something like HGSS in terms of legendaries having things to do with the plot. I really don't want the villainous team to want to create a new world with the legendary Pokémon. What happen to just wanting to get lots of money like Team Rocket and taking over major corporations?
Old March 3rd, 2013 (03:39 PM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Well, I wrote about a tl;dr on how I wish the new villainous team would be like Team Rocket, but, you know -- I feel as though legendaries that are powerful and rare, but not almighty and one-of-a-kind, should certainly not in charge of vital functions of the universe. They can just be really strong, rare and revered creature that according to local lore appears from time to time.

So yeah, I hope X&Y will return for this regard as they did with the Gen I and Gen II games, but don't get me wrong -- the gens after that had amazing plots, but, I'm just hoping that they'd take an easy with the whole "obsessed with the legendary's power" approach.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 3rd, 2013 (04:52 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

It's true, the whole "We need this legend to rule the world!" story is getting rather old. Team Rocket's story was honestly the most original to me, straying away from needing the legendaries to fuel the story and their quest. Nowadays it just feels like a crutch the the story leans on.
Old March 3rd, 2013 (05:36 PM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Yeah, I would like a change from that. =(

By the way, how exactly would you guys play to complete the games? Like, would you generally take your time, or.. rush through it as quickly as possible, or... just go on your own pace?

I tend to take my sweet time when it comes to new games in general, so, X&Y would not be so different! Of course, then again, I do wonder how much game time is plugged in the main story of X&Y. If its much, then, maybe I'd start going on a faster pace.

I'm only asking because I see that it might be tough to try and get used to this whole new gameplay feel, so... I just wonder how this might effect a person's desire to take on a new challenge (if that makes sense / if I worded it correctly).

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 3rd, 2013 (05:59 PM).
Scarecr0wFixatioN

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecr0wFixatioN
For some reason, the first trailer just gave me the vibe that Xerneas seemed like some of protector, while Yveltal=Yvel=Evil. I really think it's probably going to be something like, Yveltal is a destructive pokemon and Xerneas is some kind of savior pokemon. They'll end up constantly feuding (Maybe Yveltal is attacking whatever Xerneas is trying to defend, if that's the case), and the feud will somehow affect whatever plans the villain team have.
Old March 3rd, 2013 (06:06 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I'd take my time. No sense rushing after all, I feel that with rushing, you would miss important parts of the storyline, potential items, thing of that nature! n_n; For me, it's always important to play at a good, solid pace~!
Old March 3rd, 2013 (06:54 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
As it stands, I actually feel like the first two gens have the most original storytelling. Gen III started something new in involving the legendary mascots with the team's larger plot, which was fine, until every generation afterward started following the same step. I wouldn't mind if they did something similar to HG/SS where the mascots had some sort of role, but nothing extremely major.

In a world of Pokémon games, there are countless of other plot ideas that GameFreak could pull out from under the rug without having to focus too much on the mascots themselves and tying it in to whatever the evil team is doing.
But wasn't the original plot of Pokemon about the main character defeating the main villain to save the world, according to one of their interviews? It seems as though the later gens are going for the plot GF originally intended. Besides, there's a lot of fans who want Pokemon's storyline to have a plot in the ranks of Final Fantasy and Metal Gear.
Old March 3rd, 2013 (07:06 PM).
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Lugia and Ho-oh didn't play any major part in the games. They had more of a role in the remakes with the Kimono girls addition, but it still wasn't a major role. Suicune played a better role than Ho-oh and Lugia.
Buuut they didn't have a specific DNA pattern on the logo matched by the legendaries designs! (aka Y/X)
Old March 3rd, 2013 (07:13 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Isn't that missing the point though? Some of us want to stray away from the legendaries being the focus of the entire game, instead of being the focus. If the designs of the logos for the games are based on the legendaries that almost the opposite of what people are hoping for =P
Old March 3rd, 2013 (07:53 PM).
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
Isn't that missing the point though? Some of us want to stray away from the legendaries being the focus of the entire game, instead of being the focus. If the designs of the logos for the games are based on the legendaries that almost the opposite of what people are hoping for =P
If you look at the HeartGold and SoulSilver logos, you'll notice there's an icon that's a gold heart resembling Ho-Oh (HeartGold) and a soul shaped like Lugia (SoulSilver). Black 2 and White 2's logos have blue on black and red/orange on white respectively, referring to Black Kyurem and White Kyurem. Black and White's logos even match their respective mascot Legendary, with Black's logo being white with black text and vice versa for White. In fact, Reshiram and Zekrom are the opposite color of their version, as part of the yin-yang theme seen with the games.

Pokemon X's logo resembles Xerneas, while Pokemon Y's logo resembles Yveltal. They have had the pattern of game logos referencing their mascot Legendary since HeartGold and SoulSilver.
Old March 3rd, 2013 (07:56 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I understand what the symbols are, but it seems like it's kind of foreshadowing for another game centered around the legendaries, which I personally would like to shy away from
Old March 3rd, 2013 (09:20 PM).
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Buuut they didn't have a specific DNA pattern on the logo matched by the legendaries designs! (aka Y/X)
As far as we know right now, neither Xerneas nor Yveltal have anything to do with Genetics either outside of pure speculation. That still doesn't change the fact that Ho-oh and Lugia were the box art Pokemon and played absolutely no specified role in the major plot. Gen 2/Remake's plot ends before the 7th Badge when you beat Team Rocket and the legends are available afterwards, but the legends themselves weren't part of the main focus.

Yveltal and Xerneas can take the Musketdeer role in B2W2 and woke up due to trouble. Attempts to stop trouble as a minor instance and is a reoccuring boss battle similar to spotting Suicune in Crystal. While still involved in the story, it doesn't play a major role and you are given the choice to deviate from the main story to catch it or contimue on and catch it later.
Old March 4th, 2013 (02:14 AM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
As far as we know right now, neither Xerneas nor Yveltal have anything to do with Genetics either outside of pure speculation. That still doesn't change the fact that Ho-oh and Lugia were the box art Pokemon and played absolutely no specified role in the major plot. Gen 2/Remake's plot ends before the 7th Badge when you beat Team Rocket and the legends are available afterwards, but the legends themselves weren't part of the main focus.

Yveltal and Xerneas can take the Musketdeer role in B2W2 and woke up due to trouble. Attempts to stop trouble as a minor instance and is a reoccuring boss battle similar to spotting Suicune in Crystal. While still involved in the story, it doesn't play a major role and you are given the choice to deviate from the main story to catch it or contimue on and catch it later.
Actually I think Xerneas and Yveltal are opposites in the meaning that Yveltal is the result of genetic manipulation or corruption, while Xerneas represents the purity of standard genes.

The crystals in Xerneas' horns are colored after the DNA nitrobases, though.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old March 4th, 2013 (05:38 AM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

I'm agreeing with a lot of people here, and honestly, I find it kind of interesting. Why did GF decide to pretty much keep relatively the same plot after Gen III? In one way or another, we notice that all of the legends decide to have some sort of conflict with each other for whatever reason, and it is, of course, the duty of the player to stop the conflict that's going on, stop the evil team and bring peace and harmony to (insert region here).

I just don't really think it's something that, well, after three generations of the same story, that most of us are really interesting in seeing anymore. Xander also brought up a pretty good point what with Xerneas and Yveltal kind of being like the Musketeers, too~! I wouldn't mind that.

Also guys, I don't know the probability of this occurring, but for the sake of topic, do any of you want something like Join Avenue to make some sort of comeback? I found it pretty interesting, and fascinating how you could pretty much create your own business in a sense, and even utilize it yourself if you wished~! How does everyone else feel about this?
Old March 4th, 2013 (06:02 AM).
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
I couldn't really care less one way or the other. Join avenue was a cool concept but I haven't even used it simply because I don't connect with many other people on my games. If it didn't require other people I'd love it I guess.

Tbh, I'd rather have the secret base feature back like in the Hoenn games, but to a greater extent.
Old March 4th, 2013 (06:07 AM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

I'd love the secret base feature! I'd also like to see that Underground feature that Gen IV had(?) where you and a player(through local wireless?) could dig all underground and stuff, and it was kind of a cool experience to have. I mean, for me personally, I'd like to see more wi-fi involvement in that, rather than local wireless, for those who don't really have any other people who play Pokemon with locally. n_n
Old March 4th, 2013 (07:23 AM).
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Secret bases needs to come back only in the case of Gamefreak tying it to streetpass/spotpass.

Anyway, I was thinking about the trading discussion, and the migration thread brought an idea to my head. Cheap XY trading through multiple games on a handheld. How? If they give us Digital Download copies of X/Y, then I kinda hope they allow for trading between a download and retail copy, for us anti-social people. Sure random online could alleviate dex completion, but it would be nice to trade with yourself in one fell swoop to get them all. Would also be a nice thing to allow for some funky X/Y feature swapping, like the keys.

Sponsored Links