The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Fairy-type would just be awkward, since it'd be hard classifying them. Maybe they'd all have to be cutesy Pokemon or something pink? Yeah, it'd be silly.

Plus, most Normal-types have cute looks to them anyway, like Clefairy and Jigglypuff. We may have a Fairy egg group, but I don't think it would cut it as a type. It's just as bad as all those people speculating Light-type.

I'm actually fine with the current type chart anyway. Changing it up would make things more complicated.

Paired with Kouzan, Isaac and Heartouch
Battle Server | Tumblr | Profile | Supporter

Old March 8th, 2013, 09:54 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Yeah some stronger Ghost and Dark moves would be nice, oh and ice as well, none of the other ice moves except for ice beam seem to be close to Blizzard in BP, not counting Kyurem's signature moves. And there's no 100 BP or higher physical ice move either, again not counting Black Kyurem's signature move. If we had some stronger ice moves Dragon can be kept in better check and thus the arguement that Dragon is broken and we need a new type would fall (more) apart.

ORAS have been confirmed Remakes by Nintendo, they aren't Sequels so let go of that idea people.
Old March 8th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Yeah some stronger Ghost and Dark moves would be nice, oh and ice as well, none of the other ice moves except for ice beam seem to be close to Blizzard in BP, not counting Kyurem's signature moves. And there's no 100 BP or higher physical ice move either, again not counting Black Kyurem's signature move. If we had some stronger ice moves Dragon can be kept in better check and thus the arguement that Dragon is broken and we need a new type would fall (more) apart.
I always sorta knew that the only strong reliable Ice move was Ice Beam, but it only benefits Special-based Ice-types, leaving Physical Ice attackers like Weavile, Mamoswine and Beartic without good STAB moves.

Freeze Shock and Ice Burn are strong, but they don't count as reliable since they take 2 turns to hit and are exclusive to Kyurem's B2/W2 formes.

Also, there's no Ice move that's always guaranteed to freeze, which is a bit disturbing but it is a pretty broken status condition since it renders you unable to attack until you thaw out, and some moves can even free yourself from frozen status.

Paired with Kouzan, Isaac and Heartouch
Battle Server | Tumblr | Profile | Supporter

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Mujahid
Sir Froakie is impressed.

Nature: Quiet
I have been making the point of Freezing moves for Ages. We don't have a single move with more than 30% chance of freezing and that too is conditional ( Secret power). Also, i don't see how Freeze is broken. It's not a lot different from Sleep.And you have 9 moves that surely cause Sleep with very high accuracies.
While a sure freezing move will be annoying, we can at least have an Ice move with 30% freezing chance.
Old March 9th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Forever
let it go

If fire moves were dispersed more, then I'm okay with a 100% freeze move. Although I want it reduced to less than sleep in terms of when you "defrost" :x
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Freeze should come back to what it was in RBY, maybe make it not permanent but lasting more turns than sleep. It's the rarest status, it should be the most terrifying as well.

And Icicle Crash is already pretty good, the only problem with it is that only fat Pokémon learn it.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old March 9th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

They should also bring back the mechanic of no recharge move after KOing a Pokemon with a Hyper Beam-like move, so they wouldn't be as useless in battle as they are now.

As far as needing more powerful Ghost and Dark moves, a dA user, who generally despises Gen II, complained about how there's too many powerful moves like Dragon Pulse and and Sucker Punch and wished GF would stick with making more less powerful moves like Snarl and Bulldoze for Pokemon to learn like in the first two gens.
Old March 9th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I think the problem with giving freeze more chances to happen (when compared to sleep) is that it can (technically) last indefinitely, since you only have a 20% chance of unthawing naturally, whereas with sleep it's a five turn maximum and then you're guaranteed to wake up. Plus, the only moves that can unthaw yourself are Flame Wheel, Scald, Sacred Fire (Lol Ho-Oh), Flare Blitz, and Fusion Flare. It's just almost overpowering how much it can really incapacitate something for a large amount of time, so I would never want to see a 100% freezing move.
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:08 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
The only game I really hated Freeze was in Emerald...got frozen by Walreins all the time. Yet I also inflicted the most freezes at that time. I sort of miss it now after 2 generations of barely seeing it, and the frozen Pokémon melting it right away anyways... perhaps they should restrict it to 6 turns, six as it's so rare, plus this is generation 6 xD. I'll like a 30 percent chance of freezing move with 60 power that's not secret power. And as I said before more physical ice moves! Also ice should be changed back to gen 1 where it was super effective against fire (yes Reshiram,Ho-oh, Moltres, Charzard, will go from 1x weak against fire to 4x).

ORAS have been confirmed Remakes by Nintendo, they aren't Sequels so let go of that idea people.
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

But the change to what it is now is what made sense: Fire MELTS Ice, making it weak to it. Changing it back would make no sense.
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:38 PM
LeftNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I think the problem with giving freeze more chances to happen (when compared to sleep) is that it can (technically) last indefinitely, since you only have a 20% chance of unthawing naturally, whereas with sleep it's a five turn maximum and then you're guaranteed to wake up. Plus, the only moves that can unthaw yourself are Flame Wheel, Scald, Sacred Fire (Lol Ho-Oh), Flare Blitz, and Fusion Flare. It's just almost overpowering how much it can really incapacitate something for a large amount of time, so I would never want to see a 100% freezing move.
I disagree man, Freeze has been pretty much nerfed. Sure, it can TECHNICALLY last forever, but almost every time I see someone get frozen they tend to either unfreeze the same turn and attack as if nothing happened, or unfreeze the very next turn. If you ask me, they need a move that auto-freezes, like Thunder Wave and Sing.
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftNut View Post
I disagree man, Freeze has been pretty much nerfed. Sure, it can TECHNICALLY last forever, but almost every time I see someone get frozen they tend to either unfreeze the same turn and attack as if nothing happened, or unfreeze the very next turn. If you ask me, they need a move that auto-freezes, like Thunder Wave and Sing.
That's just a case of them getting lucky with the 20% chance. The only "nerfing" (if you can even call it that in this case) that the freeze status has undergone was that the moves I listed can unfreeze you, instead of only using an item or being hit with a damaging fire move. If there's a move that causes instant-freeze then that Pokémon is more than likely down for the count until you unfreeze it manually. If it was given a freeze counter like the one that sleep has then I definitely would be okay with it though!
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:52 PM
LeftNut

The could make all fire moves and even some fighting moves get you out of there, or give it sing's awful 55 accuracy.

Also, I'd like to see sing's accuracy go up.
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I don't think Fighting type attacks make sense, but allowing more Fire moves to let you out would definitely be cool.
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:49 PM
LeftNut

I was thinking of how some movies have a character get totally frozen just to break out a few seconds later and keep on fighting, but now that I think of it I guess it doesn't really make sense for Pokemon
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Quote:
I was thinking of how some movies have a character get totally frozen just to break out a few seconds later and keep on fighting, but now that I think of it I guess it doesn't really make sense for Pokemon
A pokemon usually can't move when they're totally frozen, so they can't move their feet, their mouth, their legs, etc, etc.

But.. In the anime, yeah, it looks like some pokemon can do certain things, like, how many times have we've seen Pikachu break out of ice with Thunderbolt or Volt Tackle? There was even one episode on where Ash's Snorlax used Rest while it was frozen. Maybe it'd make sense if X&Y can change the way to break out a freezing state by incorporated, like... maybe using a move that has to do with increasing body heat?

EDIT: well, actually, I just learned in bulbapedia that a frozen Pokémon can still use the moves Flame Wheel, Sacred Fire, Flare Blitz, Fusion Flare, and Scald while frozen; these moves will thaw the user.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie

Last edited by Miss Doronjo; March 9th, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
When that happens I just get confused in general, since if you're actually frozen you can't move at all, which was my thinking against Fighting types breaking the freeze condition. Honestly I'd just like to see all damaging fire type attacks unfreeze yourself without your opponent having to do it for you.
Old March 9th, 2013, 02:01 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
We couldn't have an auto freeze move, it'd just be too broken. And to go back to freeze's old mechanics... I don't want to think about it. It'll be rise of the Serene Grace Pokémon with Ice Beam.
Old March 9th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Also ice should be changed back to gen 1 where it was super effective against fire (yes Reshiram,Ho-oh, Moltres, Charzard, will go from 1x weak against fire to 4x).
I think there's a logical reason why after Gen I, Fire types gained an advantage over Ice types instead of the other way around.

In my opionion, Fire type Pokémon in general should have an advantage of thawing out faster than normal when frozen. If they were to make a move that had a 100% chance of freezing your opponent, then I think the indefinite amount of turns a Pokémon were to stay frozen would need to be changed to two - five turns similar to when a Pokémon is asleep during battle.

Sunny Day should also allow for Pokémon to thaw out faster. It doesn't make sense how a Pokémon cannot be frozen under sunny weather, yet they can't be thawed out any faster when Sunny Day is in effect. It's a logical error I think GameFreak still needs to work out.
Old March 9th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

I think the only way that GF will make an auto-freeze move is that if they'd change the mechanics of freezing in general. Maybe it'd be like sleeping and it'd be up too.. I think it is 3 turns now? (Speaking of which, boy did they nerf sleeping over the generations. @_@) So, I'd like to think freezing would only be 1-3 turns if they made an auto freeze move.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 9th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Speaking of sleep, I hope they change the mechanic they added in Gen 5 in that the sleep counter resets every time you switch out. I think it just made sleep overpowered a bit =/
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Not sure if this has been covered but something interesting about the gyms has came to light:

Spoiler:
More potential details have been disclosed in regards to the upcoming Nintendo 3DS exclusive titles, “Pokemon X” and “Pokemon Y.” According to a report by Video Games Uncovered on March 6, the handheld role-playing games will feature eight gym leaders. Each of them will have a team of Pokemon creatures based on one category. Players will have to take on bug, dark, fighting, ghost, normal, physic, rock and steel types. By defeating them, the eight gym leaders will give out badges that are required for the journey. You can check out some screens from the video games in the slideshow at the top of this article and a list of gym leaders below (courtesy of Video Games Uncovered):

Snyder (Bug) – Web Badge – Galatan Gym: Rugged, brown-haired man wearing outdoor gear, such as hiking boots, and a vest filled with various tools and doo-dads covering it. An outdoors-man skilled in trapping and such who is a master Bug Catcher.
Blanche (Normal) – Star Badge – Coladale Gym : “Pixie-cut”, orange-haired young girl in a typical ballerina outfit. Is a ballet prodigy.
Justin (Dark) – Eclipse Badge – Croceanna Gym: Slicked-back, black hair guy in a police officer outfit wearing an eye-patch. Former convict turned good who tames dangerous Pokemon.
Rochelle (Rock) – Solid Badge – Mistiltin Gym: Long, brown-haired woman wearing a racing outfit and holding a helmet. Is a motor rally racer and car enthusiast.
Felicity (Psychic) – Grace Badge – Durendock Gym: Black-haired “office woman” wearing very fashionable eyeglasses. Interior decorator that practices Feng Shui and is very orderly.
Flavius and Ferra (Steel) – Grid Badge – Caladbough Gym: An older, “fluffy hair” man wearing a flashy golden suit and a beautiful blond woman in a silver dress. Are co-hosts that run a game show at their Gym.
Jules (Ghost) – Spirit Badge – Nagelrelm Gym :Young boy is a black suit, with pale skin and light-blond hair. Eyes closed. Is a blind violinist who uses his other senses to play.
Vincent (Fighting) – Force Badge – Tyrforge Gym: Pretty plain looking, middle-aged man wearing a black sweater and brown pants. Well known movie star and philanthropist.

It is well structured and certainly sounds believable, I'd be pretty happy with thos roster tbh. Oh and if this is true then we finally get that overdue Dark type leader we've been craving for.

Old March 9th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Although it's plausible, the descriptions of each person don't really feel written in a style that would be for any publication. The only reason I'd hope for this to be true is that I want that Dark type leader =P
Old March 9th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
A lot of that sounds great, but I get the feeling it's still early yet for them to be releasing this information, more so because it's far too detailed in my opinion. They've not only given out the name of each gym leader, but their type, the name of their badges, and the location of each gym. It's too much too soon, and as good as it all sounds, it's probably too good. I'm leaning more towards fake on this one, but I certainly wouldn't mind if it were real.

Afterthought, the description of each gym leader's appearance sounds very tame.
Old March 9th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Munchlax11
Munch?

Nature: Serious
Yeah that just seems fake :/ but we NEED a dark type gym leader.

|Ever Grande City Forums|My Profile|PM|Pokemoon Chatbox

Pokemon X
3DS FC: 2852-7439-1811
(VM if you add)
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links