The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Not everyone has access to internet 24/7 or even more than maybe an hour at a time. The Guide books are perfect for those that can't access the internet either due to where they live, or based on life choices.

We take a lot of this for granted.

Then there is the possibility that in the future we may not have these sites to assist us. TPC and Gamefreak have put out a Cease and Desist order on fan based Pokemon sites when B/W came out that was backed by the law. They can very well do this again if they feel the need. I get the guide books cause I play at odd hours in the days, and a lot of time I don't have access to the internet or its faster to open the book that turning on my laptop and trying to connect to a site with crappy connections.

I dunno what they can give, but its most likely going to be a figurine like for the last sets or go the way of B/W and not have any bonus, but special sales on merchandise.

Seriously..B/W came out. Buy one get one 75% off ALL Pokemon merchandise. Then there was a free cleaning kit w/ ReshiZek stylus' at Toys R Us. I was one happy employee XD
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I suppose saying EVERYONE was a bad word choice. The majority of people where the games will be released do usually have access to the internet though daily. Maybe not 24/7, but you can get on at least once a day, whether it be through school, at home, a library, a smart phone, etc. I guess the guidebook hasn't been rendered useless yet, as there probably are people who still use it (as someone pointed out younger kids who might not be allowed to touch the internet), but it's pretty much getting phased out as far as usefulness is.
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Then there is the possibility that in the future we may not have these sites to assist us. TPC and Gamefreak have put out a Cease and Desist order on fan based Pokemon sites when B/W came out that was backed by the law. They can very well do this again if they feel the need.
Wait a second. They got law enforcement to agree to help them ban Pokémon fan sites?

This is the type of action that could kill a franchise. I had no knowledge of this.

That said, if they take out sites like Bulbapedia and Serebii, I will respond by not buying any more of their products. I prefer sharing knowledge rather than buying a possibly incomplete magazine. Sites like Bulbapedia also have a lot more information about individual Pokémon, too. It's a Pokémon encyclopedia, basically.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
Wait a second. They got law enforcement to agree to help them ban Pokémon fan sites?

This is the type of action that could kill a franchise. I had no knowledge of this.

That said, if they take out sites like Bulbapedia and Serebii, I will respond by not buying any more of their products. I prefer sharing knowledge rather than buying a possibly incomplete magazine. Sites like Bulbapedia also have a lot more information about individual Pokémon, too. It's a Pokémon encyclopedia, basically.

Cyclone
The sites had posted illegally attained images from Black and White way before release date. That was a violation towards the company since those sites unknowingly stole. If it conflicts with sales, yes they can have law enforced back up to close down any afflicting sites.

Same thing'll happen if the sites get early copies of X and Y and start posting all the information before release date.

Really the only info that sites like Serebii and Bulbapedia have that the guides don't is EV information. Its not in the guides because they are supposed to be secret and the guides give vague hints. I don't remember them giving absolute values, but ya. Bulbapedia also has a ton of speculative information. So even if we lose the sites, we only lose EV information. I use Guides more than Bulbapedia and Serebii, usually cause I find the info I need faster through the guides.

Oh right we lose specific details on items, but most of them are in the base description. You really didn't need to know that Magic Guard allows you to bypass Life Orb's 10% HP cost since most people use it on many pokemon that don't have Magic Guard. The basic info still tells you all that you need to know.

Last edited by Khrysta; March 14th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
The sites had posted illegally attained images from Black and White way before release date. That was a violation towards the company since those sites unknowingly stole. If it conflicts with sales, yes they can have law enforced back up to close down any afflicting sites.
Yet Pokémon ROMs are still regularly available and hacked routinely. Clearly those aren't affecting sales or every file download and torrent site would cease to exist. A site may not know an image is illegally obtained, but how would it affect sales like a ROM which is a copy of a game?

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old March 14th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Khrysta

Quote:
Yet Pokémon ROMs are still regularly available and hacked routinely. Clearly those aren't affecting sales or every file download and torrent site would cease to exist. A site may not know an image is illegally obtained, but how would it affect sales like a ROM which is a copy of a game?

Cyclone
ROMs are illegal and do affect sales. Sites that are found to be distributing them are always being attacks by the companies. Most of the time they change domain and hide. TPC does not support roms and sue creators. They promote hacks as they aren't their games and don't effect distribution of their games unless it is a hacked version OF their game distributed on carts.

Many stores do not take them in and even report the description of people who try to or actually manage to sell them to them. A lot of sites and site hosts do not allow the discussion or distribution of roms. Even we don't based on actual games.

Quote:
Do not distribute illegal content. (4 pts / 4 mths)
The community does not allow discussion of illegal materials - this includes the unauthorized distribution of TV shows, movies, video games (including video game disc or ROM images), music, or software. You may not discuss how to obtain these materials, upload them to the PokéCommunity, or link to other web sites containing these materials.
Serebii and Bulbapedia have also adopted similar rules towards distribution of information. They will only allow credit to official sources. If an official source does not load them they cannot and will not update their content beyond typing what is there. When the games are released is when the two will start to add images and in depth content to their own sites. They may start writing once they have received their games but mostly do not submit all the materials until official releases.

Some magazines have started to stop circulation due to new media surfacing and the lack of ability to compete with other competitions. PSM, Nintendo Power, and one of the Xbox magazines fell out due to IGN and Game Informer being web based and paperback for easier access.

Some Guide publishing companies went out of business when online sites started posting pictured, in-depth guides online. If TPC feel threatened like they did with the B/W leak (which honestly, that was the worst leak case in Pokemon's history. A member of TPC was fired and imprisoned for releasing images before their scheduled date), they can legally force sites that are distributing their material to go off line and sue both the current host and creator for illegal distribution of copyrighted material.

After thinking about it a bit...Maybe this is why the X and Y news is coming out so slowly. GF and TPC worried about the level of information they have come out so they release barely anything just to keep the hook baited.

Last edited by Khrysta; March 14th, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:03 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I end up memorising most things anyway, so I really don't need a guidebook.

I really hope thy don't have to go through that law enforcement thing again. That was just bad for everyone.
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I don't really mind having to wait a little while for information to come out if I'm still getting it for free. As long as the sites aren't stupid again and get themselves in legal trouble I'll be happy.
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Really the only info that sites like Serebii and Bulbapedia have that the guides don't is EV information. Its not in the guides because they are supposed to be secret and the guides give vague hints. I don't remember them giving absolute values, but ya. Bulbapedia also has a ton of speculative information. So even if we lose the sites, we only lose EV information. I use Guides more than Bulbapedia and Serebii, usually cause I find the info I need faster through the guides.
Speaking of EV information, how are we suppose to find out about what EV points Gen VI's Pokemon will have since the 3DS is currently unhackable. Not only that, how are we suppose to figure out about their precise base stats (Ex: 130 Attack) as their stat distributions from official guides are unreliable/inaccurate?
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Speaking of EV information, how are we suppose to find out about what EV points Gen VI's Pokemon will have since the 3DS is currently unhackable. Not only that, how are we suppose to figure out about their precise base stats (Ex: 130 Attack) as their stat distributions from official guides are unreliable/inaccurate?
Probably the same way we found out in the past, someone will pull up a ROM and find their stats through that.
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
With 5 generations to go off of, a math wiz can figure all of that out in a few weeks after some calculations so long as they don't change anything about stat growth in X and Y. Base stat and EV totals. Though the guide book can help you work out what stat you'd get an ev point in since they list the highest stat in an image graph. After that just have to calculate it.
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:48 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I thought there wasn't a 3DS emulator though. Then again, I know nothing about emulation.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I dont think there is currently a 3DS emulator and I hear it is quite hard to hack and that 3DS cards are even encrypted so Nintendo seems to be taking that very seriously, so we dont know that we will even have a ROM at that point. It might be mainly guess work and testing at that point. Things could be way different this time around assuming no one can get into the game's code.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

There will more than likely be someone that will be able to break the code before someone has to manually figure it out. Besides, you don't really need an emulator to read into the code of the cartridge/ROM if one comes out. Either way, we might have to wait a little longer for getting information through our free sources, but I don't really mind waiting a little while. I'd rather just play through anyways without spoiling completely everything for myself.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Its gonna be a long time till EV manipulation DS style is gonna happen, I can bet on that. Not to mention, patching would basically allow GF to ban any Pokemon externally changed, so good luck with RNGs and what not.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Pokémon that are RNGed aren't modified by anything on the outside though. You're just manipulating the random number generator in the game to get what you want, not using any sort of cheating device to get something illegal. I'm sure someone will find a way to RNG in X/Y for a fact. How long that will take is the real question.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

But I'm planning to play the game on its launch date, and without a proper guide that shows me EV points and real stat spreads from the Gen VI Pokemon, since the game is being released internationally, how am I suppose to know my Chespin or Fennekin's highest stat and if I'm getting the correct EV points for said highest stat? I EV train my Pokemon during the story mode to increase the game's difficulty curve.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

If you're EV training during the game aren't you making it easier for yourself though? I mean I understand the want to do it, but if it's really that important for you then you're going to have to buckle and buy the guide =P
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
If you're EV training during the game aren't you making it easier for yourself though? I mean I understand the want to do it, but if it's really that important for you then you're going to have to buckle and buy the guide =P
It's not as easy as you think.

Here's a scenario as an example. I have a Water starter whose highest stat will be on Special Attack, and my first gym specializes Rock types, the gym leader's Pokemon have EV points on Defense. None of the Grass, Water, or Fighting types available on the early routes have defense as their highest stats, so I'm forced to use a Pokemon with defense as its highest stat, regardless if it's at a type disadvantage, to beat those Pokemon.
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Quote:
Pokémon that are RNGed aren't modified by anything on the outside though. You're just manipulating the random number generator in the game to get what you want, not using any sort of cheating device to get something illegal. I'm sure someone will find a way to RNG in X/Y for a fact. How long that will take is the real question.
A long time is my guess. RNG still requires some of the code, and that's something they still haven't gotten to yet. The 3DS and its games will remain unhacked as I said. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes us till the generations end when firmware updates are more lax to actually break through.
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
It's not as easy as you think. :P

Here's a scenario as an example. I have a Water starter whose highest stat will be on Special Attack, and my first gym specializes Rock types, the gym leader's Pokemon have EV points on Defense. None of the Grass, Water, or Fighting types available on the early routes have defense as their highest stats, so I'm forced to use a Pokemon with defense as its highest stat, regardless if it's at a type disadvantage, to beat those Pokemon.
Well, if that's how you're playing it through then looks like you're buying the guide =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
A long time is my guess. RNG still requires some of the code, and that's something they still haven't gotten to yet. The 3DS and its games will remain unhacked as I said. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes us till the generations end when firmware updates are more lax to actually break through.
Yeah that's true, since they need access to the RNG in the first place. So maybe it might take forever, but who knows. No one has tried to hack into the code for the game yet so we'll see how unbreakable the 3DS really is.
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Quote:
Well, if that's how you're playing it through then looks like you're buying the guide =P
Problem is, the guide isn't all reliable on what EV points a basic form Pokemon has. What's worse is that their stats are determined by dots rather than actual numbers:

HP - **
Attk - *
Def - *
SpA - **
SpD - **
Spe - *

If a basic form Pokemon has the same number of dots on 2-3 stats, it only makes it harder to determine which EV Point that new Pokemon has.

BTW, guys, there's a new image floating around 4chan, and it's an off-screen image of what appears to be pre-evolved forms of Heracross and Pinsir. Chances are, it could be fake, as being debunked by its members, but if it turns out to be true, then Mr. XY is in big trouble with TPCi.
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Didn't your little friend already come out saying his post was all fake?

Cyclone

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Yes, I posted it either here a few pages back or in the March Corocoro thread. Mr. XY already has claimed everything that he said was fake.
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Quote:
Didn't your little friend already come out saying his post was all fake?

Cyclone
Mr. XY fully admit that he lied, but the image made things suspicious on whether or not he's telling the truth about lying.

Sponsored Links