Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Closed Thread

Old April 23rd, 2013 (05:25 AM).
flight
antecolor
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Look at all the people that were butthurt about the Rotom "fix" in B/W. Eventually some accepted it for Type walling, but all of the Rotoms had lost their core strategy which hurt it pretty badly until other ways to use it popped up.
Ah, yes. This is kind of the reason why you would see Rotom-W on a lot of OU teams nowadays. Sure, at first, I'm pretty sure it wasn't welcome with open arms by a lot of people, but they got over it because they found out other, alternative uses for it, and I imagine it'll just be the nature of things once a new type gets introduced: People would complain, and then they would find more alternate users for x Pokemon because of the new typing, they get over it, and then the metagame shifts. How it would shift is beyond me, but there's a good chance that it would change in a significant manner due to adding in a new type, due to changing around who's weak to what and who's strong against who, etc.

Quote:
I have to agree, I've always thought Pokémon with magical powers like Mr. Mime, have just been Psychic types.
That's really the only other name that would fit the Fairy-type, though. And let's be honest: I'm kind of against adding a type like that in it's current name, so I was thinking of ideas to get it re-named or something, in case something like that does get added. xD

go ahead. fly. take flight. no one can tell you otherwise, right?
VMPM
Old April 23rd, 2013 (05:53 AM). Edited April 23rd, 2013 by Pinkie-Dawn.
Pinkie-Dawn
hoping senpai notices me

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Twilight Sky:
Better to just rage about the new type and get over it than rage about how Venusaur and Volcarona are sweeping people's teams left and right in Sun, and how Tentacruel/Toxicroak/Polioed/Jolt are the pokes you're most likely going to see in rain, and that Hippo/Tar/Gliscor/Chomp/Jirachi/Skarmory are going to be the Pokemon you're going to see most in sand.

The general point is...the metagame, at this point, is just boring and extremely repetitive. Back in 4th gen, the only weather you really had to worry about was sand and that was because of the introduction of Gliscor and as well as (iirc) T-tar's 50% sanstorm boost to it's spdef, as well as Hippowdon. Rain was only a concern because of Starmie (who was like, a top tier threat iirc), but aside from that, I feel that a lot more strategy was used back in 4th gen competitive, because you won't have to worry about your opponent spamming weather anymore, really.

And it's not so much about introducing Weather killers anymore (though that would help, believe me). It's just introducing Pokemon with more variety. That's what the metagame is lacking. More diverse typing, more diverse abilities, more substance. Something to make OU less weather-based and actually centered around building a decent team and preparing for x threats and figuring out how to deal with it, kind of like how it was in Gen 4, what with most team's biggest threat at that point was prob LO (or Sash) Weavile.

As long as this generation introduces variety, I'm happy.
The only variety I'm looking for in XY is more Pokemon in OU, so there will be less in the lower tiers. That way, a lot of low-tier Pokemon won't have their hearts broken for not being used by players who think they're weak/useless/inferior to Pokemon in OU. These Pokemon want to fight against the big boys.

I wouldn't call Gen IV's metagame as the best, because of the complete dominance of Stealth Rock, which has hindered a lot of Fire, Ice, Bug, and Flying types, and it allowed Dragon types to wreck the metagame with physical Outrage, leading to the dominance of Water, Fighting, Ground, and Steel types to counter each other and resist Stealth Rock. There was also physical Dark moves like Pursuit that greatly hindered Psychic types.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (06:03 AM).
Blue
エルフーン
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Even though it's only fan art, if the Boxart for X & Y were to look anything like this, I'd be happy.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (06:05 AM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I would like box art like that. I'm expecting 3D box art though.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (06:09 AM).
flight
antecolor
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Pinkie-Dawn:
The only variety I'm looking for in XY is more Pokemon in OU, so there will be less in the lower tiers. That way, a lot of low-tier Pokemon won't have their hearts broken for not being used by players who think they're weak/useless/inferior to Pokemon in OU. These Pokemon want to fight against the big boys.
There are a good amount of Pokemon (off the top of my head is Quagsire) that are not OU that can compete in the OU metagame, but I feel that utilization as well as overall viability has dropped these Pokemon down quite a bit from OU, but I digress. Having lower-tiered Pokemon compete in the OU battlefield seems like something that I'd agree with anyway, and hopefully something I'll see in this generation.

VMPM
Old April 23rd, 2013 (07:34 AM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I went back a few pages and didn't see this posted anywhere, so here's a tweet from Pokémon:

Spoiler:

Please don't be a new type >.<
Old April 23rd, 2013 (07:43 AM).
Blue
エルフーン
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Jake♫:
I went back a few pages and didn't see this posted anywhere, so here's a tweet from Pokémon:

Spoiler:

They did a similar Tweet prior to the eeveelution announcement, this is looking more plausible by the days.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (07:53 AM).
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Spoiler:

Uhhh that tweet is kinda fake, first off, I am looking at Pokémon's twitter at this moment and they never made a tweet on the 22nd, 2nd, the twitter font is arial, that picture there is Times New Roman.

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old April 23rd, 2013 (07:55 AM).
flight
antecolor
Community Supporter

Spoiler:

Oh dear.

Surprised they actually included Clefairy.

Well, let's go through the list here:

Clefairy:
  • Is a Pokemon (duh)
  • Fairy-like (another duh)
  • Normal-typed
  • Wondering why they didn't mention Clefable since it's more fairy-like but I guess.
  • Is one type

Sylveon
  • Is a Pokemon
  • Fairy-like
  • MIGHT be Normal-typed
  • Chances are pretty likely it's singular-typed.

Xerneas
  • Is a Pokemon
  • It....isn't really Fairy-like, ish?
  • Could possibly be singular typed, though I can't imagine it being Normal, but it's a possibility!
  • Legendary Pokemon

Also, the reason why I said "Is a pokemon" is just in case Pokemon wanted to do something cheesy like "they're all pokemon!!! hahahahah" or something like that just to troll and piss people off (though I feel that's kind of unlikely).

So yeah, maybe I'm just not seeing some pattern of consistency here other than the fact that Xerneas might be just one-type, since Sylveon and Clefairy are?

EDIT: lol nevermind, apparently it's fake? I knew something was up with that. oO;

VMPM
Old April 23rd, 2013 (07:56 AM).
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Oh dear.

Surprised they actually included Clefairy.

Well, let's go through the list here:

Clefairy:
  • Is a Pokemon (duh)
  • Fairy-like (another duh)
  • Normal-typed
  • Wondering why they didn't mention Clefable since it's more fairy-like but I guess.
  • Is one type

Sylveon
  • Is a Pokemon
  • Fairy-like
  • MIGHT be Normal-typed
  • Chances are pretty likely it's singular-typed.

Xerneas
  • Is a Pokemon
  • It....isn't really Fairy-like, ish?
  • Could possibly be singular typed, though I can't imagine it being Normal, but it's a possibility!
  • Legendary Pokemon

Also, the reason why I said "Is a pokemon" is just in case Pokemon wanted to do something cheesy like "they're all pokemon!!! hahahahah" or something like that just to troll and piss people off (though I feel that's kind of unlikely).

So yeah, maybe I'm just not seeing some pattern of consistency here other than the fact that Xerneas might be just one-type, since Sylveon and Clefairy are?
That Tweet is fake, it's the wrong font and if you actually visit Pokémon's twitter, you'll see this tweet does NOT exist.

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old April 23rd, 2013 (08:03 AM).
flight
antecolor
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by SolarAbusoru:
That Tweet is fake, it's the wrong font and if you actually visit Pokémon's twitter, you'll see this tweet does NOT exist.
I made my post pretty much two minutes after you did, so I didn't see it yet, of course. :P I edited my post to reflect acknowledgement that it is fake, of course.

That said though, that did have me kind of jumping for a bit. u__u Goes to show that any bit of news that comes out of Pokemon's twitter gets people really nervous.

VMPM
Old April 23rd, 2013 (08:13 AM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Nothing like a fake tweet to cause confusion. I could easily create a fake tweet myself saying "Sylveon confirmed Bug-type" and there would be wild panic when I post the image because some people don't think, check the official account first; they haven't tweeted anything of that nature, obviously.

And no, I'm not making a fake tweet.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 23rd, 2013 (08:19 AM).
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I do think a new type is possible and I would welcome it. I personally care nothing for the metagame, it isn't about that for me, it's about adding something interesting to the games, a new type would do just that, mix things up. I like the idea of a Fairy type honestly, or any other interesting ideas they come up with. A new type also means more concepts to explore when creating Pokemon, and I'd look forward to seeing what the new type would include Pokemon wise.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (08:21 AM). Edited April 23rd, 2013 by flight.
flight
antecolor
Community Supporter

Quote:
Nothing like a fake tweet to cause confusion. I could easily create a fake tweet myself saying "Sylveon confirmed Bug-type" and there would be wild panic when I post the image because some people don't think, check the official account first; they haven't tweeted anything of that nature, obviously.

And no, I'm not making a fake tweet.

Cyclone
Except you would have to be a credible person (i.e, someone working for Gamefreak/Nintendo/or an affiliate of those two) for people to actually believe you and start flipping out. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't worry about it too much. :P

VMPM
Old April 23rd, 2013 (08:32 AM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Thank the lord that tweet is fake, as I was freaking out (as Derk can attest to =P). Still, I REALLY don't want a new type.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (09:03 AM).
flight
antecolor
Community Supporter

I'm kind of for a new type, but I really don't care either way. As I said many times, as long as the typing chart doesn't blow up in our faces, then I'm okay with it. Better if things stay the way they are now, to avoid possible confusion.

But since it's nearing the end of April, I wonder what other news we're going to get? Now that we've received news of the new Mewtwo form, what else can we expect? Is there going to be more coverage as far as the movie is concerned, or perhaps we can finally move on to solely focus on X/Y?

Keep in mind that (at least, for the US) May is the beginning summer month, essentially, and then it progresses towards June/July, in which some believe we'll be slammed with some heavy news then, as the release dates of X and Y draw ever so closer.

So with all of that said, what is everyone's expectations for next month? Are your expectations still sitting high, or perhaps you're unsure where your expectations are at the moment? Are you expecting small news, or are you expecting for us to be slammed with news from May onwards?

VMPM
Old April 23rd, 2013 (09:28 AM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Except you would have to be a credible person (i.e, someone working for Gamefreak/Nintendo/or an affiliate of those two) for people to actually believe you and start flipping out. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't worry about it too much.
Did I neglect to mention I would be able to merge the @Pokemon layout with the actual text by using Paint to copy the text over top of the layout? I can demonstrate this if you don't follow what I'm saying.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 23rd, 2013 (09:41 AM).
flight
antecolor
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by CycloneGU:
Did I neglect to mention I would be able to merge the @Pokemon layout with the actual text by using Paint to copy the text over top of the layout? I can demonstrate this if you don't follow what I'm saying.

Cyclone
Of course you can, I'm not saying that you can't. I thought you were talking about making a tweet yourself about it, really. Anyone can photoshop a tweet and make it so unbelieveably realistic that people would end up falling for it.

I'm not new to the world of photoshopping, this kind of stuff happens pretty often. xD

VMPM
Old April 23rd, 2013 (10:28 AM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I'm hoping the starter town is in a different climate than it usually is, maybe it could be in the desert...that'll be something new and unique compared to the past six hometowns.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (10:48 AM).
RandomDSdevel
The EXP-Grinding Trainer

Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
I would like box art like that. I'm expecting 3D box art though.
You mean that you want the X/Y box-art to feature something like the holographic imagery used in the bonus pages from the last two Collector's Edition guides? Now, that would be [I]quite[/I[ awesome!

NOTE: Please send me a private message if you have an extra copy of the special Mew that GameFreak distributed to owners of Generation III games on September 30th, 2006, and can think of a good place where we can meet for a trade.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (10:51 AM).
flight
antecolor
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire:
I'm hoping the starter town is in a different climate than it usually is, maybe it could be in the desert...that'll be something new and unique compared to the past six hometowns.
Agreeing with this, though I can definitely see why they chose more or less of a neutral climate to start off. Though I'd prefer it if your main character would start off in more of a snowy climate, but that's just me. :P

VMPM
Old April 23rd, 2013 (10:54 AM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Agreeing with a different climate for the starting town. I mean, it sort of makes sense having a neutral area for the three starters, but then again their all manually brought there anyways so that doesn't really matter anyways. But yeah, it'd just be interesting to have a player start near a volcano or in a desert as suggested!
Old April 23rd, 2013 (10:59 AM).
RandomDSdevel
The EXP-Grinding Trainer

Agreeing with this, though I can definitely see why they chose more or less of a neutral climate to start off. Though I'd prefer it if your main character would start off in more of a snowy climate, but that's just me.
Were't there some patches of snow in Pokémon Platinum Version's Twinleaf Town that replaced the puddles that had been there in Diamond and Pearl? I wouldn't mind seeing more of that white stuff near the beginning of the game…

NOTE: Please send me a private message if you have an extra copy of the special Mew that GameFreak distributed to owners of Generation III games on September 30th, 2006, and can think of a good place where we can meet for a trade.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (11:02 AM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Agreeing with a different climate for the starting town. I mean, it sort of makes sense having a neutral area for the three starters, but then again their all manually brought there anyways so that doesn't really matter anyways. But yeah, it'd just be interesting to have a player start near a volcano or in a desert as suggested!
I was thinking of desert when I typed that. Last night I had a dream in which the starter town was in a desert, it looked cool (Uxie was also there but that's beside the point). Maybe the observatory we saw in the trailer can be near the players house?
Old April 23rd, 2013 (11:07 AM).
RandomDSdevel
The EXP-Grinding Trainer

Quote originally posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire:
I was thinking of desert when I typed that. Last night I had a dream in which the starter town was in a desert, it looked cool (Uxie was also there but that's beside the point). Maybe the observatory we saw in the trailer can be near the players house?
How do you know that's an observatory? I thought it looked similar to Pokémon Colcsseum's Realgam Tower, so maybe that structure could somehow contain the region's Battle Tower that the third version or sequel pair usually turns into a Battle Frontier? But then again, Generation V just had the Battle Subway…

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links