Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 20th, 2013 (02:05 PM). Edited May 20th, 2013 by RandomDSdevel.
RandomDSdevel
The EXP-Grinding Trainer

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Pinkie-Dawn:
^ One thing's for sure that, like previous professors, this gen's professor will have difficult remembering your gender.
…and your name, and what Pokémon live in his or her region, et cetera, et cetera…

Quote originally posted by Jake♫:
I can definitely see Maple getting used. If we get another female professor I feel like Maple would be a really fitting name for her. All the other names that have been used (beside Juniper of course) have kind of seen more masculine to me. Maple or Sequoia or something like that just sound more feminine in my head, so they'd be cool names for a female professor.
Yeah…my fakemon game idea was in the process of becoming a real game idea back in Generation IV, so I thought that it might end up showcasing the first Pokémon game with a female professor if GameFreak didn't do something like that first. Now, though, they have, so I guess I'll just have to figure out what other ways I can use to make my game unique…maybe I could do something special with the move linking from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon? For example, I thought that maybe you could merge two moves known by one of your Pokémon (like you can fuse weapons in Kid Icarus: Uprising) with an item (say, a specific kind of Shard) to make room for ''another'' move that your Pokémon is trying to learn.

NOTE: Please send me a private message if you have an extra copy of the special Mew that GameFreak distributed to owners of Generation III games on September 30th, 2006, and can think of a good place where we can meet for a trade.
Old May 20th, 2013 (02:35 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote originally posted by RandomDSdevel:
I thought that maybe you could merge two moves known by one of your Pokémon (like you can fuse weapons in Kid Icarus: Uprising) with an item (say, a specific kind of Shard) to make room for ''another'' move that your Pokémon is trying to learn.
A little too complex for me. Just IMO.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old May 20th, 2013 (02:52 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Honestly that kinda just sounds like the dual-type attack rumor that was floating around. Just sounds like something that screws with the base mechanics of STAB that wouldn't really work out in the end in my opinion =/
Old May 20th, 2013 (03:11 PM).
Blue
endless
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I think moves should be left untouched, introducing dual type moves would completely change the way attacks work.
Old May 20th, 2013 (03:21 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Suicune™:
I think moves should be left untouched, introducing dual type moves would completely change the way attacks work.
Completely agreed. As I stated already, it messes with STAB so badly. I mean, theoretically, if something was dual typed and the move matched that, I guess you could just say you got a x2 bonus instead of a x1.5 bonus. I guess it isn't that complicated, but it is just unnecessary if anything. Just let that aspect be please =P
Old May 20th, 2013 (07:27 PM).
MarinoKadame

Willow seems good for a feminine professor too.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old May 20th, 2013 (08:05 PM).
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Nature: Docile
Honestly that kinda just sounds like the dual-type attack rumor that was floating around. Just sounds like something that screws with the base mechanics of STAB that wouldn't really work out in the end in my opinion =/
Completely agreed. As I stated already, it messes with STAB so badly. I mean, theoretically, if something was dual typed and the move matched that, I guess you could just say you got a x2 bonus instead of a x1.5 bonus. I guess it isn't that complicated, but it is just unnecessary if anything. Just let that aspect be please =P
That's assuming that they cannot rework the entire game if they wanted to do so... I mean they obviously haven't done that before... The mechanics can literally be all different if they wanted it to be... You can't deny one thing because of something in the past... STAB formula could be changed to make it all work right...

Old May 20th, 2013 (08:20 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by LycaNinja:
That's assuming that they cannot rework the entire game if they wanted to do so... I mean they obviously haven't done that before... The mechanics can literally be all different if they wanted it to be... You can't deny one thing because of something in the past... STAB formula could be changed to make it all work right...
...Did you read my second post. I made it pretty clear that they could do that, and even lined out a rather simple way they could go about and do it. Just because I'm personally against it doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that it can't happen. I'm definitely not denying that they can do it, I'm just stating my opinion of something that I'd prefer not to see, and that's exactly what speculation is: voicing opinions.

I also like Willow as a female professor name, definitely works as well!
Old May 20th, 2013 (08:26 PM).
shubham2207
Metallurgy Master (Excadrill)

Nature: Naughty
Maybe gf doesn't go for dual type moves. But maybe they might go for new combination moves to make double/triple battle interesting.
Old May 20th, 2013 (09:20 PM).
Pokestick, good times.
An awesome usertitle
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
It might be possible that dual-type moves simply have one type for counting STAB, and one type for counting damage to the other Pokémon. Like, say, how Psyshock is special but "hits" as a physical attack.

Old May 20th, 2013 (09:31 PM).
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Yeah, I totally agree with this. Having dual-typed moves can mess things up even more than before, cos it can amplify weaknesses even further than it is now. Also, STAB would be messed up for sure.
Old May 20th, 2013 (11:37 PM).
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

...Did you read my second post. I made it pretty clear that they could do that, and even lined out a rather simple way they could go about and do it. Just because I'm personally against it doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that it can't happen. I'm definitely not denying that they can do it, I'm just stating my opinion of something that I'd prefer not to see, and that's exactly what speculation is: voicing opinions.

I also like Willow as a female professor name, definitely works as well!
I did read it but you sounded like you were talking it down on purpose... I meant they could redo much more than just the STAB mechanics so it all works... Maybe you only get one STAB, but a fire type and a fighting type can both STAB with Blaze Kick Fire/Fight move... Anything is possible...

I realize speculation is voicing opinions, but that's what I'm doing as well... But trying to keep people from disregarding things just because it breaks a pattern or changes the system up... Because that is a stupid mind set, you know?

Old May 21st, 2013 (01:02 AM).
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
As I stated already, it messes with STAB so badly. I mean, theoretically, if something was dual typed and the move matched that, I guess you could just say you got a x2 bonus instead of a x1.5 bonus. I guess it isn't that complicated, but it is just unnecessary if anything. Just let that aspect be please =P
I have to agree, dual typed moves just seem way to messy!
Especially if you consider how they would handle weaknesses/resistances
Let's say a move like Blaze Kick is both Fire and Fighting, how would it affect a Rock Pokemon?
It could either be SE if considered Fighting, but only not very effective if considered Fire

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old May 21st, 2013 (03:53 AM).
ilovejirachi123
Unhatched Egg

im not sure if we've already talked about this but i kinda want to get off the topic of dual-moves cause its not gonna happen. anyway if u look at the region people have a guess of where the starting town will be but what do you think the biggining town will be. or maybe do u think it will be unlike any other game and make the start on a train u get dropped off in the region.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old May 21st, 2013 (04:20 AM).
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Quote originally posted by ilovejirachi123:
im not sure if we've already talked about this but i kinda want to get off the topic of dual-moves cause its not gonna happen. anyway if u look at the region people have a guess of where the starting town will be but what do you think the biggining town will be. or maybe do u think it will be unlike any other game and make the start on a train u get dropped off in the region.
We've already talked about where we think the starting town is... We can't deny anything... They could literally make a Pokemon based on a literal turd... ANYTHING is possible... I don't know why people can't get that mind set...

Old May 21st, 2013 (05:22 AM).
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
I don't understand what people mean by reworking STAB. Does it mean that they will lessen the boost value to ×0.25 so that 8× weakness from an attack will still be 4x damage, then that would also completely nerf how strong STAB attacks can get, so the boosts charts are still very messed up regardless of changes to the mechanics

Trainer Data:
Full Name: Mithel "Myth" Celestia
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old May 21st, 2013 (05:38 AM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Mithel_Celestia:
I don't understand what people mean by reworking STAB. Does it mean that they will lessen the boost value to ×0.25 so that 8× weakness from an attack will still be 4x damage, then that would also completely nerf how strong STAB attacks can get, so the boosts charts are still very messed up regardless of changes to the mechanics
(This is the last thing I'm gonna say on this because we're getting redundant now =P) We have no idea honestly. We were talking about dual-typed moves would kind of mess with it, and how all the multipliers would be affected. We really have no idea what they'd do with it, and for the most part we don't really wanna see it happen =P They might make it work perfectly if it were to happen, but they could also just make it worse. Who knows?

On the topic of where the starting town is, I was thinking it was the town in the bottom center of the map. Just seems to appear like a starting area to me.
Old May 21st, 2013 (06:13 AM).
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Quote originally posted by Mithel_Celestia:
Without changing any other mechanic, they could still make it work and not confuse people not wanting an extremely needed fix...

Say my Fire type Pokemon has Blaze Kick, retyped as a Fire/Fight type move... And I'm fighting your Normal type Pokemon... Using Blaze Kick I get the STAB bonus from it being a Fire type move and the SE of Normal being weak to Fighting type.

They could just make it like that... The best one is the one that factors in... So my Fighting type could also use Blaze Kick on your Grass type Pokemon, getting the Fighting STAB and the SE effect of Grass being weak to Fire...

Or they could go with a better and more complex working system that everyone hates at first, but later realize is better later on, then accept it...

Old May 21st, 2013 (06:20 AM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Which is probably what would happen if this were to happen. I mean, no one loved the Physical/Special split when it first came out, and now mostly people have come to love it as it makes a lot of sense. So who knows really!

Okay one more thing on it I guess c;
Old May 21st, 2013 (06:22 AM).
shubham2207
Metallurgy Master (Excadrill)

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by LycaNinja:
Without changing any other mechanic, they could still make it work and not confuse people not wanting an extremely needed fix...

Say my Fire type Pokemon has Blaze Kick, retyped as a Fire/Fight type move... And I'm fighting your Normal type Pokemon... Using Blaze Kick I get the STAB bonus from it being a Fire type move and the SE of Normal being weak to Fighting type.

They could just make it like that... The best one is the one that factors in... So my Fighting type could also use Blaze Kick on your Grass type Pokemon, getting the Fighting STAB and the SE effect of Grass being weak to Fire...

Or they could go with a better and more complex working system that everyone hates at first, but later realize is better later on, then accept it...
and what if ur fire/fight blaze kick hit my ferrothorn? Hw much damage will it inflict on ferro?
Old May 21st, 2013 (06:30 AM).
Pinkie-Dawn
hoping senpai notices me

I'm still going by my theory on how the mechanics for a dual-type move will work: The move will only use its primary type, but will switch into its secondary type if its primary type is NVE against the opponent's Pokemon. If the Pokemon resists both types, then it'll result in being not very effective.
Old May 21st, 2013 (06:30 AM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Assuming that this is about dual-type moves....well honestly, I wouldn't want to see that happen.

It's the previous post as well as much much more that can make dual-type moves more confusing than it is. Whilst on paper, it seems like something disastrous that might come out to be a positive thing, I honestly think that it might just be something that just isn't necessary/bad for long term. It would make moves unnecessarily complicated, and I'm just really hoping that past/current moves don't get re-typed. I don't even want competitive Pokemon to be more complicated than what it is currently. x_x;

Take Mega kick for example. It is a move that involves physical contact, and it would seem like a fighting move, so what if Mega Kick was a Normal/Fighting move, and how much damage would it inflict on steel types? I'm assuming neutral since one type is super-effective and the other isn't very effective, but still...
Old May 21st, 2013 (06:36 AM).
aonshinzo
TheCoolestTentacool

This is Gamefreak were talking about I doubt they will over complicate dual-type moves (if it happens...) It will probably something simple like picking which type you want the move to be in a situation.
Using Blaze Kick (Fire/Fighting) against Ferrothorn then an option will pop up to choose either Fire or Fighting or something like that
Old May 21st, 2013 (06:43 AM). Edited May 21st, 2013 by LycaNinja.
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Quote originally posted by shubham2207:
and what if ur fire/fight blaze kick hit my ferrothorn? Hw much damage will it inflict on ferro?
Oy Vey!

Quote originally posted by Twilight Sky:
Assuming that this is about dual-type moves....well honestly, I wouldn't want to see that happen.

It's the previous post as well as much much more that can make dual-type moves more confusing than it is. Whilst on paper, it seems like something disastrous that might come out to be a positive thing, I honestly think that it might just be something that just isn't necessary/bad for long term. It would make moves unnecessarily complicated, and I'm just really hoping that past/current moves don't get re-typed. I don't even want competitive Pokemon to be more complicated than what it is currently. x_x;

Take Mega kick for example. It is a move that involves physical contact, and it would seem like a fighting move, so what if Mega Kick was a Normal/Fighting move, and how much damage would it inflict on steel types? I'm assuming neutral since one type is super-effective and the other isn't very effective, but still...
OY VEY!

Quote originally posted by Pinkie-Dawn:
I'm still going by my theory on how the mechanics for a dual-type move will work: The move will only use its primary type, but will switch into its secondary type if its primary type is NVE against the opponent's Pokemon. If the Pokemon resists both types, then it'll result in being not very effective.
Thank you for thinking and not believing in the worse case scenario... I literally couldn't explain it easier than I had... But I'll still say it again...

The BEST would be what applies... A Fire/Fight attack hitting a Grass/Steel would be considered a Fire type attack, since that's x4 as a fire attack and x2 from Fighting is lower than Fire... Like I had just explained in the previous reply... Same applies to a Normal/Fighting move... Normal isn't effective... Fighting is... So Fighting wins... Even if a Normal type is using it... It gets the STAB of being a Normal type, and the SE from Fighting vs Steel...

This is just an example, hopefully they will do a much better system... Don't strain yourselves trying to come up with the formula... Just wait for GameFreak to talk about it if it even exists... And don't instantly think of the worst possible way to implement something...

Old May 21st, 2013 (06:55 AM).
aonshinzo
TheCoolestTentacool

Quote:
Thank you for thinking and not believing in the worse case scenario...
I know it's kinda irritating whenever people here a new feature that's drastically different for pokemon they automatically shun it.....

Sponsored Links